Pirate 4x4 banner

Looking at a 2004 Tundra this weekend, school me...

875 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  CJ/YJ/TJ/JK=LOL 
#1 ·
I am going to look at a 2004 Tundra V8 4x4 this coming weekend.

It looks like a good deal (anything 4x4 with a Yota badge is going to cost you in California :eek: ).

It has 109K on the clock and I'm okay with that. Our 80 has 250+K, Sienna just hit 200k, and God only knows what the 40 has on it.

What are the "Pros & Cons" of this year?

What should I look for?? (Good & bad)

I had a '81 4x4 Trekker conversion many years ago (rolled it, still kicking myself :( ). That was my only experience with Toyota trucks, I have been a Cruiser guy for a while now.

Thanks for the input! :beer:

#3 ·
Got a 01' 270,000 miles , my original radiator blew internally at 150,000 . Trans had coolant in it motor had trans fluid . Got everything flushed . So maybe check that out . Currently it's parked due to trans mission slip (possible from coolant and abusing it towing a dump trailer with a lot of weight) . But in all honesty they will take a beat down like the trucks with the 22r-re with way more power. The only thing else is if it had a windshield put in check the plastic cowl retainers gasket . Mine and another was getting a funk smell inside due to water , and mine also had to replace the fuse box. The fix is to remove the cowl and just use a little silicone around the holes and in couple other areas . Also check the rear leaf springs out , have broken both 3rd down .

#4 ·
I had one- ran great! The only issue I had was with 4x4 system. I hated the push button switch... in fact, it's supposed to be 4x4H on the fly and I switched mine in 4x4H going about 10mphs and it gendered my front diff. Still runs and drove fine, but wasn't worth repairing at the time.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info!!

I will definitely check on the timing belt/water pump maintenance.

We have done that "routine" maintenance on our Sienna every 90k. Our's has a few battle scars, but it still runs like you would expect a Toyota to run :grinpimp:

looking forward to another truck, I hope this one is as good as it looks in the pics :grinpimp:

#8 ·
Looking at an 01 Tundra myself this weekend. Never had anything other than minis and a 99 tacoma. This feedback is sounding good. The comment comparing the 4.7 reliability to the 22 re gave me a minor chub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.