Pirate 4x4 banner

RUNNING ATF IN THE OIL? ANYONE ELSE?

3K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  vikinghammer 
#1 · (Edited)
Well been running about a half liter of ATF in My Motors for the last 20 years seems to work good anyone here do this?

And if not why and if so why lol HA

ALSO if a MOD read this could some one help me ADD THE YARRRR!!
TO MY SIGNATURE IN MY POST THANKS ..

like the below YARRRRR!!!

YARRRRR!!!

#10 · (Edited)
oh ya i heard this years ago from the coast for old boat marine engines from REAL PIRATES... But i do think it was use on deisel engines mostly..
at first then folkz tryed it out on gas..And ya it works but again i dont like what diesel can do to seals.. But ATF doesnt hurt a thing left in there but no more than half liter..!!! it seems to help even the oil pressure too!
amazing how nice and clean some of these old engines i ripped apart and looked clean..

#17 ·
So true.
I converted this go kart to propane 18 years ago when the kids were small. The motor was a new Briggs. I take it to workshops and displays now. It still has the same oil in it from 18 years ago and is still clean. I left it in there just to see how long it can last.

Attachments

#15 ·
I used to add a quart to my amc heep 360 when one of the lifters would clatter. It would only take a day of driving (30 miles) to clear it up. I always changed my oil after one day also. I have used it in a pinch to have enough oil to get home after a flop also.

#22 ·
About 20 years ago, the oil distributor I was using provided me with a drum of 5w30 oil that had a red tint as a few oils do. He said a small amount of ATF had been dumped in the bulk tank by accident but it was trace amounts, just enough to change the tint. I PM'ed one of my customer pickup fleets and got a phone call the next day that one of the engines had locked up. I quickly changed the oil in all the other trucks to a different brand. My insurance company had to pay for a replacement engine for that truck and then went after the oil distributor. I had the oil analyzed by a lab in Houston and found it was 30% ATF. That lab explained to me that ATF does not have any of the proper lubricating properties for an engine but works fine for its intended use and the distributor should have never allowed any of that oil to be sold. It was explained to me by that lab that ATF is slightly better than water for lubricating an engine.

#27 · (Edited)
Ya ya ya ya u know like i said been doing this fer years yes running a half liter or more in my oil no problems at all..
And every engine i have is clean as whislte why??
I heard ATF has a higher detergents in the oil ...
BUT BUT I NEVER HAD ONE ENGINE LOCK UP ON ME YET~~ over 500 K on all my toyotas

cleans as flowing through the engine ,...

#26 ·
Just don't use Quaker state or Pennzoil. They are made from paraffin wax and sludge up an engine so bad it's not even funny.

Same oil in the forklift for 10 years and counting:smokin:

#29 ·
ATF

I've heard ATF, Brake fluid, Marvel Mystery Oil, Diesel, various solvents and cocktails used, always just before an oil change, or when buying a used car.

My thought is all of them may do some good at knocking loose sludge or crude from a mistreated engine, I've also heard about clearing stuck lifters.

But once done. Go to good oils, and regular changes. and the problem will not come back.

My number is every 5k, just because it is easy to remember on the odometer.

Just my .02.
and no real science to back it.

But I have driven two cars over 300k that I bought new with no failures.

#30 ·
I've heard ATF, Brake fluid, Marvel Mystery Oil, Diesel, various solvents and cocktails used, always just before an oil change, or when buying a used car.

My thought is all of them may do some good at knocking loose sludge or crude from a mistreated engine, I've also heard about clearing stuck lifters.

But once done. Go to good oils, and regular changes. and the problem will not come back.

My number is every 5k, just because it is easy to remember on the odometer.

Just my .02.
and no real science to back it.

But I have driven two cars over 300k that I bought new with no failures.

Finally Some Sound Good advise however a half liter doesnt hurt anything at all..AND YES i Agree ATF Yes It will loosen gunked up and sticky lifters but even that takes time.. I Had a Jeep Chero which had a sticky lifter added about 3/4 liter ATF to the old oil and with in a week she had oil pressure again,,,So i left it alone the oil and ran it for another couple weeks dropped the oil added new oil with just a tad of ATF in new oil and now motor runs well again...
anyhow yes everyones right running ATF before a oil change helps clean er out abit but dont worry about running it for a while It wont hurt your engine at all...
even week.... but dont run like a full liter maybe to 1/4 to half what i like to also do is if im low on oil add a lil ATF instead of oil...just a tad....:smokin:

#38 · (Edited)
Nawww i just signed up cause i like werkin OLD TOYOTAS

As fer yer TROLL question
yeah heard they are mythical creatures which live deep in the woods of Norway and SWeden

YOu know I did get the BOG outta that motor

But It was abit of a Process lol ha :flipoff2:

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHAT IT WAS....

AS FER A REAL TECH

A REAL ONE ?:eek::eek: lol WTF IS THAT ?..

heres me werking on a old SKIDOOO

I guess you could say im KINDA OF Troll Some days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.