Pirate 4x4 banner

DRM's Project 4Runner

107K views 450 replies 89 participants last post by  DRM 
#1 ·
"New Project Vehicle" --- DONE (for now)

By now, you are probably all aware at this train wreck of a project vehicle.

Needless to say - for a variety of reasons, a full on engine, suspension, and axle swap was WAY more than I should have taken on.

That being said, timing worked so that I picked up a new daily driver, leaving me to try to sell my previous daily driver -an 87 4Runner.

Well, I couldn't get it sold.

So after much thinking, and discussion with the wife, I got a *new* plan.

Basically: 4Runner keeps the 22RE for now, gets dual cases, SAS, 60's F&R, and some 38.5" TSL's.

Here is how it looked stock:

See less See more
#3 ·
We got started Saturday morning, and this is a far as we got this weekend on the front end until we got to a point where we had to stop for lack of parts.

Like I said - gotta round up some more parts before we can do the shackle hangers (through the frame), some bushings, steering linkage, etc.

#5 · (Edited)
No plan changes this time (too late for that, and my buddy wants his shop back so it can't sit here long :eek: )

Front springs were built intending on the weight of a 350 for an engine, so they are probably a bit too stiff for the 4 cyl. We'll just have to see once it is up and running. They are a hybrid rear pack that moves the axle 2" forward of stock, and I moved the fornt hanger hole about 1" forward as well. Early measuring (see the blue strap) looks like the steering box is gonna have to go forward 1-2" to make room for everything.

I traded my 42's this weekend for some 38.5x16 TSL's - I just did not want to deal with trying to turn the 42's with 4.88's and a 4 cylinder, or trying to cut that much metal to get them to fit.

I have a sky dual case crossmember waiting to go on it when the time comes to do the dual cases.

More pics this week as the parts come in that are needed :)

#7 ·
Buddys shop?? Didnt you build a new shop a few years back?
O and on the steering box, when I did my sas I move the axle 3" forward as well. I moved the box 1.25 forward which is tight to the rad support. Ive only got 1/2" clerance between the drag and tie rod so you might want to cut the rad support and go a little more.

CJ

#9 ·
Looks good David, I hope you get this one done. I know you've caught alot of flack over your old blue truck. I know how it is being busy with work,kids(just one for me though) and everything else plus trying to build a rig. I guess thats why it took me a little over a year to build mine. I've been thinkin lately that it would be cool if all the Toy guys could set up a ride like we did a while back at Winrock. I'd like to set up a all Toy ride at Winrock in a month or so. Surely you could get this done in a month or so.

Oh yeah,I was wondering,are you still needing that Dodge hood? I was hoping I would of had my Dodge in the shop by now. I was in the hos. for ear surgery,my wife was in also for almost a week,we've been working like crazy. I just ain't been able to get around to it. I'm hoping to in a few weeks.

#10 ·
TablerockToy said:
O and on the steering box, when I did my sas I move the axle 3" forward as well. I moved the box 1.25 forward which is tight to the rad support. Ive only got 1/2" clerance between the drag and tie rod so you might want to cut the rad support and go a little more.

CJ
One thing I noticed is his BLING steering arms are pretty short,or look to be anyway. Might help a little there

#11 ·
TablerockToy said:
Yes, but his is smaller (easier to heat with 6" of snow outside) and he has a plasma, better welder, and drill press :p

Raptorman57 said:
Oh yeah,I was wondering,are you still needing that Dodge hood?[/b]
Yes!

Raptorman57 said:
Surely you could get this done in a month or so.[/b]
Dependong in the arival of some parts, and some scheduling for some other work to be done on it, a month or so sounds about right :)

#15 ·
So you finally chopped it huh? Gotta say I'm glad. As soon as I can break away from Nashvegas I'll get down there and help yall a little bit. Looks good. Can't wait to see it finished.:D Are you planning on bobbing since your rear setup will allow a significant bob job? Whole lot less body to worry about that way.

#20 ·
Well DRM glad to see your heading in some direction. Keep up the good work. and yes another Winrock Ride is due, again. This time hopefully people will show, and show on time. By then my junk should be tight, and ready.

Now go call David, and get some hangers, links.:D

#24 ·
Bones said:
OMG!! I can't believe you are cutting up a perfectly good 4runner :crybaby2:
I tried and tried selling it - even had the price dropped all the way down to $2800 and nobody would come off the cash :(

Wife and I talked - it fit the need of adding the family seating we wanted, it was a RUNNING vehicle so less work to do, and as I said - I just could not get it sold. So I did what I had to do :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.