Pirate 4x4 banner

Timing chain replacement

866 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  sjracer 
#1 ·
I was just wondering when you guys replaced your timing chains and tensioners, im at about 150,000 miles on it.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I have seen them start going as soon as 78k miles. on a 6 year old truck. Age is just as bad as miles. 150k you should have noticeable grooves in the timing cover. If the long side of the guide falls down I have seen it get between the crank gear and chain, bend the intake valves and break the bottom of the timing cover.

I have even had a friend i had been telling for a while to change his timing chain. the last time I told him, 3 minutes after he started the truck it happened. right in front of the 2 of us standing in front of his truck.

#3 ·
When I did my tranny swap I pulled the oil pan. In the oil pan I found my plastic guide all broken up. I have no idea how long it had been broken. The chain wasn't making any noise. That's what scared me the most. You have no clue that something is wrong until catastrophe strikes.

#4 ·
I change them when the guide breaks and I can hear it. It's pretty obvious most of the time. I stay on top of my valve adjustments too so I'm looking at the guides pretty often.

If you get the updated metal backed guides you'll be good until the end.

#9 ·
this right here^^

note: one time i bought a kit that had two metal guides, bad idea. it just plain wont work. had to buy a different kit and trash the first one. the better kit has one metal guide (the long one) and one plastic guide. on the one with two metal guides, the short guide is just different enough in shape that it won't allow for any slack in the chain and you'll have a difficult if not impossible time getting the top timing gear onto the camshaft.

finally, for what it's worth. i've use the cheaper timing kits available on Amazon that come with the timing cover/oil pump/metal guide/timing kit/gaskets many times on a few different engines now with no problems. the only thing i do is obtain a factory crankshaft seal.

#7 ·
I should have said that I picked up mine with around 200K on it and no idea when the timing had been done if ever at all (can't see someone using the plastic guides when replacing the timing chain). It sounded like it sounded from day one. Since I didn't have any history, I went ahead and did timing and head gasket to be on the safe side. If you don't know the history of your truck, I say it's best to take a weekend and go through everything to have peace of mind. Definitely use steel guides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.