89 4rnr Re-Exo - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Looks great, next your going to dove the front, then you'll really be closer to a buggy.......
Old 04-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyron View Post
Looks great, next your going to dove the front, then you'll really be closer to a buggy.......
You pretty much read my mind. I have been playing with the idea of a dove in the front, but I want to wheel this summer. So maybe next winter project.

Not much progress lately, just wrapping up some small ends, repainted both axles, got the shocks rear shocks mounted and finished up wiring for the tail lights. Picked up some almost new 38 creepies so got those all swapped over and mounted on the beadlocks.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 231443
Exclamation

Looks like you are ready to play. I'm jealous! Came out good dude!

Old 05-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfowlkes View Post
Looks like you are ready to play. I'm jealous! Came out good dude!
Thanks. Excited to get back on the trails.

New side project, picked up a fj80 high pinion diff. Need to re-gear it and swap my locker over. Got it torn down and ready to start to the tedious gear setup.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Currently got some big changes in progress for the 4rnr. Basically the front dove is happening. Have already got a good amount work done so there will be some catching up on posting the pictures.

Guess I will start where I left off. I finished setting up the gears on the Hi-pinion with 5.29/solid pinion spacer and swapped over my locker. Hi-pinion has been doing great and worthwhile to get the driveshaft up higher.

At ChileChallenge this year I snapped a fj80 ti-rod end and bent the draglink pretty good. It was just the standard toyota hi-steer kit so I decided to upgrade the steering to heims.

Ordered up Ruffstuffs 3/4 heim kit with the dom tube. Decided to place the heim on the pitman arm on top and made a bracket for double shear. Pre and post heated after welding.

Then began on the front dove. Started with cutting off all the exo cage up front. Removed the fiberglass fenders and the marlin bumper is going as well. Plan for the dove is to chop the radiator support and fender wells off at the firewall, the width up front will basically be the frame rails, will be going fenderless, keeping the hood and just trimming it down to meet the tube.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:54 PM   #31 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
I'm digging the steering setup, been wanting to do that to mine. Much stronger. Glad you ditched that hideous exo on the front...
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2019, 11:21 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
I'm digging the steering setup, been wanting to do that to mine. Much stronger. Glad you ditched that hideous exo on the front...
Thanks, Definitely a worthwhile upgrade. I originally wanted to go with 7/8 heims, but they wouldn't fit next to eachother on the passenger side steering arm. Might not be an issue depending on your arms. Haha yea me too.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Still catching up on pictures. Bumper removed and front clip cut off.

New winch mount/front bumper all mocked and tacked into place. I wanted to push it as far back as possible to keep a good approach angle. So it sits slightly over the original front frame rail and up against the radiator.

Added a hoop across the winch mount and got everything welded in. I am thinking of adding a stinger on top of this hoop. Just dont really like the look of a single bend stinger. Not sure if there is enough room to have two bends on top.

Started on the radiator mount and upright tubes. The stinger off the front bumper will tie into these tubes. Plan is have a single hoop that follows the hood line that ties into the A pillars. Hood will be cut for the dove.

Last edited by riskyricky; 02-26-2019 at 03:47 PM.
riskyricky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 306249
This brings us to the current status of the build. Got a few odds and ends sorted out as far as mounting the propane mixer on the firewall and such. Did pickup a new radiator as my old one was starting to leak form the plastic end tanks. Went with a 3 row all metal CSF radiator model 2314. Relocated the battery and got the box welded in on the frame rail.

Got the A Pillars bent up and fitted. Tried to keep them as close along the body as possible. Added some brackets off the door mounts to tie in the cage to the body. Next up would be windshield cross bar and then the main hoop around the front nose.

Last edited by riskyricky; 02-26-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Got the windsheild cross bar bent up and in place with the help of a buddy. Just barely snags the passenger wiper blade, so I took it off for now. Might try to find a replacement wiper that is not as tall. Added some gussets up towards the top of the A pillar.

Bent up a stinger for the front bumper with a mild angle and added some support pieces. It is a tight fit with the winch in place. Definitely going to have to relocate the control box for the winch.

Really only need to bend up the main hoop around the front that ties the A pillar into the rad support. Been trying to decide if I should do it all as one piece, similar to what the ftoy \_/ front end looks like. Other option is to do it in three pieces \ _ /. As much as I like the look of a single piece I am leaning towards the second option mainly because it is easier and will allow for a tighter angle at the rad support.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Made some major progress on 4rnr over the past few weekends. Got the front bumper all welded in and decided to make the hoop in three pieces. So added in the top bar.
Got the hood bars bent and tacked in place. And then pulled the whole front section off to fully weld all the joints.

With the help of some friends we got the cage back in place. The brackets I made to tie in to the door mounting bolts really did help to get everything back aligned.

Everything welded in, added another support bar from the bumper along the hood bar. Then added in the windshield cross bars. On the fence if I like them or not, but they are easy to cut off and remove if need be.
Was thinking of adding at least one support bar off the shock hoops if not two in V. Will also give me some real estate to start mounting all the crap back on.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990GT50 View Post
Jesus- this thing got ugly.
wtf are you talking about man

its tall, narrow with lots of tube it should be super sweet
J Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Would have looked 100x's better if you would have ditched the factory roll bar thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squamch View Post
At least 100x.
That factory bar is thin is it laziness when you do that much work? Or just being dumb
Rubirunner85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 119967
Nice 4runner man! Cool build! Cool to see a fellow New Mexican on here
Old 03-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
wtf are you talking about man

its tall, narrow with lots of tube it should be super sweet
I am pretty excited about, one step closer to a buggy. But hopefully the tall part will get sorted if/when I go links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 View Post
That factory bar is thin is it laziness when you do that much work? Or just being dumb
The factory roll bar it is .120 wall but not sure on the structural material. Its there and serves its purpose. Call it what you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85 4X TOY View Post
Nice 4runner man! Cool build! Cool to see a fellow New Mexican on here
Thanks dude! Few of us lurking. Maybe catch you on the trail sometime. Been meaning to head south and hit the og chilechallenge trails again.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Finished off the majority of fabrication and began painting. Added in some side braces tying in to the shock hoops and made a bracket of the cage to hold the power steering res and ignition coil.

Began the reassembly.

Got the winch and radiator mounted. I wanted to keep some of the factory grill so I chopped it down to fit. With the grill in place the winch control box no longer fits on top so moved it right next to the battery mount. Its a very tight fit with everything in. Hood pins re-installed and drilled the holes through the hood.

Started working on wiring, nothing real noteworthy. Just sorting through the harness and trying to remove anything not needed, mostly stuff left over from EFI.

Still need to chop the hood down. I was thinking of rolling the cut edge but not sure if that is going to work out. I may just use some rubber edge trim like I had before on the rear panels.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Did the louvres make a big difference for you?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:36 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskyricky View Post

post a closer pic of your intake routing would you? do you still have the stock afm
J Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #44 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 231443
Nice work! Will it get fenders ?
Old 03-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 306249
The hood louvers did help quite a bit back when it had a turbo. Could always see the heat escaping through them when at stand still. I would suspect they don't do much after I had removed the turbo.

Will try to grab a better pic of the routing in that spot. Haha, no. The afm is long gone. Runs on propane.

Currently have no plans for fenders. I sold the fiberglass but may try something out if I can snag some stockies on the cheap.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskyricky View Post
The hood louvers did help quite a bit back when it had a turbo. Could always see the heat escaping through them when at stand still. I would suspect they don't do much after I had removed the turbo.

Will try to grab a better pic of the routing in that spot. Haha, no. The afm is long gone. Runs on propane.

Currently have no plans for fenders. I sold the fiberglass but may try something out if I can snag some stockies on the cheap.
Thatís what I wanted to hear. Mine will get hot when the ambient is high and Iím cralwin.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Got a wheeling trip in two weeks so this project is getting wrapped up. Got the rest of the wiring all done and tied up. I did add some small led blinkers on the front bumper to keep it somewhat street legal. Fired it up for the first time in 4 months with no problems. Got the hood cut down and ended up just using some door trim to cover the edges. I think it gives it a clean look. Mounted up the wheels and and got this thing outside and did a quick test drive.

Things left to do:
Adjust the alignment on the steering
Add in a coolant reservoir
Bleed power steering, pump is screaming.

Overall I think it came out great. Better than I could have imagined. Can't wait to see how it does on the rocks.

Last edited by riskyricky; 04-05-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Nice, thanks for posting. Any idea on the weight?
Old 05-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 306249
Got the 4rrn on the scales. Weight is trail ready with 2 full propane tanks, spare parts, fluids, and tools. It is fairly heavy but weight distribution is pretty decent and cross weight is almost near 50% I suspect weight without all my gear would put it just under the 4k mark. Might re-weigh without gear but trail ready is what really matters.

F 2247
R 1882
Total 4129

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in