Yotabo - Lwb 1st gen on pane - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Yotabo - Lwb 1st gen on pane

New steering box location. Drag link/tie rod clearance is much better. Flat pitman arm should be here tomorrow and with any luck my shocks will too.

Picked up my driveshaft from NAPA today. I swapped out the double cardan for a single ujoint. And fedrilled the tcase flange for the new yoke.

On the transfer case side I used a yoke from tcase side on a rear 89 ext. cab shaft.

Used tubing from the same ‘89 shaft. It measures .098 on my Pittsburg digital caliper. I set it up with 3.25” of splines showing, like this I needed ~1” of tubing.

Still a lot to do before hawk pride this weekend. We’ll be there fri-sun with 6 or 8 rigs. Anyone else going to hawk pride this weekend?

Edit: added shaft specs and pic

Last edited by rooster18; 11-01-2017 at 10:15 PM.
rooster18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 134699

Last night I started installing the new front shock towers. I went with the low range towers bc I liked the plate construction, nice and beefy and matches my diff cover from them. Swapped to lower mounts out with some ruff stuff amounts I had on the shelf.

I’ll be using the stock bump stop pads on the frame side. They were easy to cutoff and will fit nicely in between the shock towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 232802
I remember seein this truck when it was for sale awhile back. Not too many 1st gens around here. Especially with clean sheet metal
nate.b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 166881
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster18 View Post

New steering box location. Drag link/tie rod clearance is much better. Flat pitman arm should be here tomorrow and with any luck my shocks will too.

Picked up my driveshaft from NAPA today. I swapped out the double cardan for a single ujoint. And fedrilled the tcase flange for the new yoke.

On the transfer case side I used a yoke from tcase side on a rear 89 ext. cab shaft.

Used tubing from the same ‘89 shaft. It measures .098 on my Pittsburg digital caliper. I set it up with 3.25” of splines showing, like this I needed ~1” of tubing.

Still a lot to do before hawk pride this weekend. We’ll be there fri-sun with 6 or 8 rigs. Anyone else going to hawk pride this weekend?

Edit: added shaft specs and pic
Drive shaft is a little thin walled for railing on rocks. You might not beat your rig that much, but it's a good idea to make a spare square driveline for when it goes. I carry one that is good for front or rear on my rig and it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside.
Chilkat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Had a blast at Hawk Pride this weekend. Yotabo did great cept for separating the front driveshaft a couple of times Ended up throwing a ratchet strap around the frame and axle as a limiting strap for the trip. The RUF packs made the ride so much better and I didn't have tires rubbing into the firewall and rear of fender wells during flexing once. Thoroughly enjoyed it. HPO has lots of really fun trails and at around 2 hours one way isnt a bad weekend trip.

I'm going to be redoing the front driveshaft and I am going to make a spare while I'm at it out of square tubing. I think I set the shaft up wrong to begin with. It has a 10" male spline section and 12" female section. When I measured first time I put 3" of splines showing out of the slip leaving 7" of splines inside. I'm thinking I should have started with 3" of slip showing (not splines), This should give me an extra few inches of splined shaft mated together at full extension. Not saying for sure it would fix it, but it would sure help. My friend Greg seems to believe that I'll need a longer spline section to fix it. I'm hoping I can get it to work with what I already have. Will post pics of the trip later on.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 134699

Front driveshaft wouldn’t stay in past halfway up upper ditch

Leading the group
and me sliding into the group pic just before the timer went off

Last edited by rooster18; 11-07-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 99724
Where are you from? We wheel a lot of the same places.

78 Jeep J10
10 JK Unlimited
95 F-350 Crew Dually 7.3
05 Tacoma
87 Jeep YJ
88 Jeep YJ
87FoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87FoRunner View Post
Where are you from? We wheel a lot of the same places.

Currently residing in Oxford MS. Not far from you if your location is accurate.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate.b View Post
I remember seein this truck when it was for sale awhile back. Not too many 1st gens around here. Especially with clean sheet metal

Yep, I️ was surprised when I got there to see how good of shape it was in. Quick look over and test drive and it was on the trailer headed back south.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 99724
Got a Facebook?

78 Jeep J10
10 JK Unlimited
95 F-350 Crew Dually 7.3
05 Tacoma
87 Jeep YJ
88 Jeep YJ
87FoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87FoRunner View Post
Got a Facebook?
I do, sending pm.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:43 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Here's a short clip of our November 4 Hawk Pride trip. IIRC the trail is southern diamondback.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 623753
Quote:
Here's a short clip of our November 4 Hawk Pride trip. IIRC the trail is southern diamondback.

Nice group you've got there. Looks like you could do to take some pressure out of those tires! Also, how'd you rig up that front winch mount?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Thanks yooper. I had them at 12 Psi for this trip, and the others I’ve been on. I’ll try 10 next time I️ go out. What pressure would you suggest? My only concern would be going too low without beadlocks.
As for the winch plat, its is welded to the front of the frame, then the front crossmember is reinforced top and bottom and gussets on the back side for extra support

These are the best pictures I️ can find right now

Old 11-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 623753
If you find more pictures let me know, I've gotta go through and redo my front crossmember soon. It's always good to get some inspiration! With steel wheels you're probably pretty safe running 10 in the front and 5-7 in the rear. Just be conscious of turning real hard into a rock and pressing on the bead. Before I got beadlocks I'd run 7-10 in the front depending on conditions and 3-5 in the rear. But then again I'd always keep a hi-lift and starting fluid on me

Last edited by YooperYota; 11-17-2017 at 08:01 AM.
YooperYota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 134699

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperYota View Post
If you find more pictures let me know, I've gotta go through and redo my front crossmember soon. It's always good to get some inspiration! With steel wheels you're probably pretty safe running 10 in the front and 5-7 in the rear. Just be conscious of turning real hard into a rock and pressing on the bead. Before I got beadlocks I'd run 7-10 in the front depending on conditions and 3-5 in the rear. But then again I'd always keep a hi-lift and starting fluid on me

Found this one about to be gone forever on my trash can. Don’t know how it got there without making it here first.

This is looking down and forward from the driver side front fender well with the radiator removed. The gussets go from the crossmember to the winch plate. Core support kinda gets in the way of the pic. Iirc this is the best photo I have of the additional support from the rear

And here is a shot of the flat pitman arm setup right after I️ rolled it out of the garage onto the trailer for Hawk Pride. IMO It couldn’t fit better. Drag link stud just clear the frame by about 1/4”

Last edited by rooster18; 11-17-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 12-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Been busy with work, but took some better pics of the flat pitman arm and steering box from the front.

Here you can see how far forward into the core support and body mount the front of the steering box is.

And clearance on the flat pitman arm. Flat pitman was a must for this application.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 623753
What flat pitman did you go with? I currently have the drop arm that Allpro sells with their kit, but I definitely hit my tie rod if I'm flexed out on my drivers side.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 134699
I went with the trail gear flat PA due to availability. Was looking at sky’s chromoly unit, but I was under a time crunch and needed it quick.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 134699

I lengthened the front driveshaft by 4.2”. The jack stand run out measurement was a big fail, I didn’t have any rollers and this setup had zero consistency when rotating. Ended up bringing it to the NAPA to get tried and welded. Bolted back in tonight, hopefully it stays together when unloading on the up trail. Will report

Old 03-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #46 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
nice

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 3886
I used the vehicle as the lathe when building custom shafts. Dial indicators are cheap

Nice first gen

Last edited by gnob; 03-09-2018 at 07:58 PM.
gnob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Thanks y’all. I will give that a try next to round gnob. Will have another chance when I finally get the parts for my dual cases.

Took my doors off and modded the hinges for quick removal. I want to find a spare set of doors to make trail doors but am also considering making some tube doors.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 134699
Truck has worked well the few times I’ve taken it out this summer. Sheared 2 steering arm/knuckle bolts off on both sides on the last ride. Going to be ordering six shooter knuckles and arms to upgrade.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 73194
Quote:
Truck has worked well the few times I’ve taken it out this summer. Sheared 2 steering arm/knuckle bolts off on both sides on the last ride. Going to be ordering six shooter knuckles and arms to upgrade.

Why not go with Front ranges keyed set up? It's a few bucks cheaper last time I did the math.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in