The Red Truck... - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 23011
That grill is badass!! I might have to steal that one.

So it's just an insert and bolted to the original plastic grill frame?
vikingsven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #52 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
MDF router templates and misc aluminum parts...
Attached Images

OCD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #53 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsven View Post
That grill is badass!! I might have to steal that one.

So it's just an insert and bolted to the original plastic grill frame?
Thanks man. Yep, was pretty straight forward. Only original mounting standoff I lost was dead center bottom, but there's a winch there now... 5052 .063 aluminum. Bent a 1" lip top and bottom to make it ridged and hit it with the shrinker to give it that curve... Rivited it to the factory shell and painted it all rattle can black. I'm happy with it, but going to do a couple things differently on the next one...

Old 01-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 3886
Clean and well thought out work, man. Very sexy.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 23011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD View Post
Thanks man. Yep, was pretty straight forward. Only original mounting standoff I lost was dead center bottom, but there's a winch there now... 5052 .063 aluminum. Bent a 1" lip top and bottom to make it ridged and hit it with the shrinker to give it that curve... Rivited it to the factory shell and painted it all rattle can black. I'm happy with it, but going to do a couple things differently on the next one...
What would you do different?
vikingsven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #56 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnob View Post
Clean and well thought out work, man. Very sexy.
Thank you. I seem to remember it wasn't long ago you weren't as kind when I was modifying some motor mounts... Thanks for taking it back and giving me a second chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsven View Post
What would you do different?
Doesn't show up real good in the pics, but don't like the horizontal brake lines between rows of holes. Shouldn't have done that. Could have done better and followed the vertical contour of the original grill. Next grill on the current build will turn out better, but it might be a little while before I get to the grill...
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2018, 04:50 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 3886
Shit man, i was just ribbin you before. The fab work was praised in that thread too.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:34 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 3007
My TG bumper too only had half the holes line up. I still need to remove it and hog the holes out
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 100065
The build looks great and your welding skills are spot on. Care to share the welder and wire size that you're using? I've just begun welding more often on 1/4" and up and think I am bordering on needing more power.
The Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #60 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
That crinkled fender must be driving you insane

As stated, incredible fab work. Little jealous here..
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #61 (permalink)
Run what you brung.

Member # 40432
Quote:
I'm not allowed in there anymore without adult supervision though... long story...
Classic!!!
gottoys2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2018, 10:18 PM   #62 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnob View Post
Shit man, i was just ribbin you before. The fab work was praised in that thread too.
I kinda figured I'd get harassed for the question, but really thought someone else out there must have already done it. Just wanted to see some examples... Thanks again for the compliments. Don't think anyone's called it sexy before. Not sure we approve of the way you're looking at our rig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th Unknown View Post
The build looks great and your welding skills are spot on. Care to share the welder and wire size that you're using? I've just begun welding more often on 1/4" and up and think I am bordering on needing more power.
Thank you. Most of this truck was built using a Miller syncrowave 180 air cooled tig. Its all I've got. Its been pushed to its limits way to many times! Have had to use a friends water cooled syncrowave 350 on some of the thicker stuff. Overkill for my needs, but a sweet machine! I've become a believer in having more power than you think you'll need...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
That crinkled fender must be driving you insane

As stated, incredible fab work. Little jealous here..
Not too bad, gives it character... My history with this truck and the original owner goes back to the mid 90's. My careless and often dumbass friend was extremely rough on it more often than not! But the stories behind those scars are still some of the best ever!

That being said, I wouldn't pass on a new fender if you wanted to donate one to the cause...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
My TG bumper too only had half the holes line up. I still need to remove it and hog the holes out
Not to bash on the TG bumper, but if you're going to remove it to fix the holes, might as well fix the lateral tabs too. I don't have any before pics, but the tabs originally grabbed the top of the factory body mount. Stupid design. There's actually room to sneak them in under the body mount and bolt them directly to the frame. If I were smart I'd have welded the fuckin nut to the top of the tab before powder coat! It's a bitch to get in there but doable and much better than pulling on the body mount...
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 3886
I give much props for the TIG work. Ive tried it before, i have NO TIG skillZ. Lol
As it is, i have a hard time welding because instinct constantly says run away from the electrical short circuit. Lol
Old 01-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #64 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
These were dark times... Was burnt out on building and wanted to go play...

The truck had a rebuilt motor in it with a broken timing chain guide when I got it. This motor was a roach. Crappy old pics, but if you look closely you can see where the original owner attempted to seal an exhaust leak at the head with high temp silicone... So... We took care of a few basics- timing chain, guides & tensioner, oil & water pump, blah, blah, blah. Started that bitch up and actually believed this thing was headed to the trail...nope! As it got up to temp for the first time in over 18 months, the sweet smell of coolant was in the air...fuck!

Called LCE and ordered up one of their motors loaded down with with all kinds of stupid goodies I just had to have... This was of course the next logical step when you need a new head gasket... The details are irrelevant, but it all went bad and took approx 6 months to get all my $$$$'s back...fuck!

Being fed up with the truck, went to the Kings Mountain art & wine festival with my wife and had a soccer mom show me what's up in her Honda...
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #65 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Found Jim & Jerry at 22RE Performance in Chico CA. Can't says enough great things about these guys! They helped me find even more goodies I just couldn't live without...

Also found pics of the exhaust system we built... Should have turned the tip sideways, makes for a dust storm when the belly gets low as it is now. Also should have carried it back further, the drone / buzz at about 2800 - 3000 is brain rattling... It works good enough for our needs so it stays...
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #66 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Finally!!! Wentworth Springs to Loon Lake... Didn't really take any good wheelin pics, was just amazed to be driving this thing!!!

Made it back home without an issue... good times...
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #67 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Never really had a truck like this before, with full time lockers and lots of gear reduction... It's like clubbing baby seals compared to my 4x4 experiences of the past... Felt a little bad having it so easy compared to my buddy's Jeep. He dragged that f'n thing over every rock on the Rubicon that first summer...
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #68 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Made a quick steering stabilizer mount and had it plated. Approx 6 years later and I still haven't bolted it on... its on "the list"...
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #69 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Front and rear bump stop mounts... After a little trail time came to find a 3/4" spacer was in the front springs best interest...

Would not use this size bump in the future. Makes it difficult to check torque on the u-blots...
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #70 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
First trip to Moab with this truck was summer 2012...

The afternoon of day 4 or 5 the steering box was way too hot to touch and leaking from the input shaft. Didn't keep a spare box on hand at that time in life, so we ziptied a rag below the input and ran it for another 5-6 days. The leak got worse... Had to change the rag and add fluid every hour or two at first, then more often as the trip went on. Wasn't a show stopper and we didn't leak all over the place, but that box was trash by the end of that trip. If you look closely at the last pic you can see the rags under the input shaft... good times...
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #71 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
A steering cooler was clearly needed... First attempt got pretty far before I realized the top of the cooler was higher than the res and won't bleed correctly. Second attempt went better...
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #72 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Couple more...
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Not to bash on the TG bumper, but if you're going to remove it to fix the holes, might as well fix the lateral tabs too. I don't have any before pics, but the tabs originally grabbed the top of the factory body mount. Stupid design. There's actually room to sneak them in under the body mount and bolt them directly to the frame. If I were smart I'd have welded the fuckin nut to the top of the tab before powder coat! It's a bitch to get in there but doable and much better than pulling on the body mount...
Yeah that's a different design than the IFS frame (mine is a 90).

Now I just got a 99 Limited and wondering who's bumpers to buy if I choose to mildly build it..or just hide the winch behind the front bumper
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #74 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Intake had to be relocated...
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2018, 09:54 PM   #75 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Few more pics of the intake mount...

This mount worked great for 6 years or so, but just recently sheared at both the upper and lower mounts on some washboard roads between trails... Upgrades are underway....
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in