My First Gen Hilux RHD w/ Stuff - A DD-ish Build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 103621
My First Gen Hilux RHD w/ Stuff - A DD-ish Build

Disclaimer: This is going to be a slooooowwwwwww build with a lot of figuring shit out.

I picked up an '80 first gen shortbed truck that a guy imported from Japan 20+ years ago after he was stationed there. As it was in Japan for all the years, the cab has its fair share of rust. (Ill get more into that later). The gentleman purchased new OEM sheetmetal to replace the rust, ie new bed, doors, fenders, hood, etc. The truck came with a buick 231 swapped in, w56, and supposed 4.88s in the axles.

Plan is as follows:
1uz to r150f/151f 5-Speed to a Single 23-spline Case
- Reseal of the entire engine
- AC (Must have here is TX)
- Headers/Exhaust upgrades (Possible boost later)
- Sc400 oil pan swap for rear sump
Fj80 axles with 4.10s (Or keep and widen stock axles, ie IFS hub swap, and IFS rear)
Radius Arms and Coilovers up front with 57" Fords in the rear
37" Toyo or Nitto MTs on FJ Cruiser Steelies
Fix and repair the rust in the cab, new paint, Sr5 stripe package

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im going to try to keep a running total of what i have in this project. Its not going to be a budget build per se, as keeping it all toyota will be more expensive than swapping in GM parts. Been there and done that, twice. Anywho, here is what i have spent so far. Ill update as i go and do my best to account for everything.

- $600 - 1981 RHD First gen truck with lots of spare parts
+ $650 - Sold the Buick 231, AA adapter to the L50, and the stock t-case
+ $250 - Sold a set of doors, a grille, rear fender flares, factory emblems
- $700 - 1999 GS400 parts car for the 1uz, wiring harness, auto bell housing, etc
+ $200 - Sold the VIP style coilovers that came on the GS400
+ $35 - Sold the rear door weather stripping off the GS400
- $141 - RHD Toyota Surf IFS box from EBAY
- $200 - 89 4runner chassis for the r150f/ifs rear and hubs
- $20 - 2uz front lower timing cover to replace cracked one
+ $715 - Sold D60 SRW hubs, spindles, axle shafts
- $117.25 - 2uz Tundra Headers off Ebay (May not work, but cheap enough to try)
- $420.18 - r150 to lexus Bellhousing adapter plate from toyotav8.com
- $90 - SC430 exhaust manifolds (just in case the tundra ebay headers dont fit)
- $264 - Inchworm r150f to gear driven case adapter.
+ $36 - Sold Warn IFS Hubs
- $40 - Low range frenched spring hangers.
__________________________________________________ ___________
- $706.43 - Total spent on the truck

Pics of when it got dropped off:

Powerful Buick 231

Bed full of parts

Pulled the 231 and sold it all to pick up a gently wrecked '99 GS400 for the 1uz.

Pulled the 1uz and powerwashed it.

Picked up a set of free 37s for mockup purposes. This is planned ride height.

Last edited by the_white_shadow; 01-29-2018 at 04:47 AM.
the_white_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103621
This is what a straight piped Gs400 sounds like. Apparently it was owned by the Vape King of Houston himself and dropped ViP style.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dmQKe5XRZtGL1kNb2

Above is where it sits as i collect and do some trading for new parts. Im going to get the toyotav8swap.com adapter to use the 1uz auto bellhousing to r15xf trans. I need to get the cab blasted one day and a figure out the radius arm setup. (Probably ruffstuff and some Accutune coilovers). I still need to figure out the wiring.

First step is to cut the frame off at the first cab body mount and widen it to fit the massively wide engine between the frame rails. Hopefully this will give me more room for exhaust. Ill be running a surf IFS rhd box to do a similar hi-steer setup to whats is offered here.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_white_shadow View Post
This is what a straight piped Gs400 sounds like. Apparently it was owned by the Vape King of Houston himself and dropped ViP style.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dmQKe5XRZtGL1kNb2

Above is where it sits as i collect and do some trading for new parts. Im going to get the toyotav8swap.com adapter to use the 1uz auto bellhousing to r15xf trans. I need to get the cab blasted one day and a figure out the radius arm setup. (Probably ruffstuff and some Accutune coilovers). I still need to figure out the wiring.

First step is to cut the frame off at the first cab body mount and widen it to fit the massively wide engine between the frame rails. Hopefully this will give me more room for exhaust. Ill be running a surf IFS rhd box to do a similar hi-steer setup to whats is offered here.
Where did you source the rhd box? Really looking forward to this.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
Where did you source the rhd box? Really looking forward to this.
Ebay.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
this is going to be a sweet rig. tough to compete with your RZ swapped 2wd though

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
this is going to be a sweet rig. tough to compete with your RZ swapped 2wd though
Thanks. I love that little guy. Sadly it sits most of the time and its now for sale
Old 01-02-2018, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
I saw the sale ad i wish i had the money and use for it

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 139434
I was wondering when you were going to start a thread. Ill be picking up my 1UZ soon. So I may be taking some notes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.7 tow rig

IG: @boomtacoma01

-Chris
Boomtacoma01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomtacoma01 View Post
I was wondering when you were going to start a thread. Ill be picking up my 1UZ soon. So I may be taking some notes.
We will learn all this shit together Chris. I have a lot of stuff to figure out. Not sure the best way to do lots of stuff, ie wiring/exhaust/etc. Dont want to do shit twice.

On a side note, ill be picking up an 89 runner rolling chassis on Friday with the r150f ill be using for the swap. It also has the IFS rear end and IFS front hubs that ill use to widen the stock axles. Its a good deal so should be cheaper than dealing with the FJ80 stuff.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 131536
Going to be keeping a eye on this for my build

ps find me a tailgate ......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my other builds
R.I.P
Will/jeepon1tons

Alex
Highrolleres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2018, 05:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 103621
As i mentioned in a previous post, i picked up an 89 4runner chassis on Friday. It came with a few pieces to the puzzle.

The exhaust was a thing of beauty. Apparently it had a diesel VW engine swapped in and the previous owner ran individual exhaust tubes for each cylinder all the way back to a single muffler. It was ghetto.

The main reason i bought the chassis was for the r150f. It shifts great and the fluid was nice and clean.

After a couple of hours i had everything stripped off that i needed for the build or that i could sell.

All the parts on the table. Rear axle has 4.30s in it. Im not sure what axle gear ratio would be the best with setup. Axles under the truck now supposedly have 4.88s, but i fear that may be too low with the 1uz. So i have options now at least.

For shits and giggles, i test fit the engine in the truck. It fit pretty well actually. I was thinking the frame rails were going to be too narrow, but i think i can get away without having to build a new front frame section. Exhaust should fit, and maybe even the AC. Steering will be fun due to the head being partially in the way, but i think if i offset it some to the passenger side i can get it to work. My RHD box from the UK is coming in any day, so i can mock that up and see what im working with.

Some pics:

Might even fit under the hood without a body lift. My goal is to not have one at all.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 731225
Might be a dumb question but just out of curiosity what is different about the RHD front axle? I assume just the steering arms?
palmettozuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2018, 06:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettozuk View Post
Might be a dumb question but just out of curiosity what is different about the RHD front axle? I assume just the steering arms?
Im pretty sure thats it as well.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
My buddy has RHD cherokee and it is the wackiest thing to be riding in the passenger seat of that rig. Feels so unnatural. Driving that I'm sure will take some getting used to. Gonna be a cool build.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 05:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 103621
I spent a little time on the truck yesterday and found a set of new Energy Suspension cab body mounts from 1987 new in the package. Like i said, the previous owner gave me all of the new parts he sourced for his rebuild that never happened. I got them installed and they fit great.

I installed them to tighten the body back to the frame. (I previously took the cab off to take out the old drivetrain when i sold it)

In order to make sure the new engine doesnt create too many clearance issues on the drivers side, i installed the dash, steering wheel/column, and a turbo dial diaphragm brake booster from my old crawler into the cab. Ill test fit the engine in again today to see how much, if any, i need to offset to the passenger side. Just by eyeballing it, i would say that it doesnt look like i will have to do that.

Another cool thing i found in my pile of parts, is the original Japanese gauge cluster. Instead of having a tach, it has a clock in the center instead. I thought that was super cool. All the other non-Sr5 clusters i have seen does not have the clock option. Is this a Japan only option?

Ill post up some more pics later this evening.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
My buddy has RHD cherokee and it is the wackiest thing to be riding in the passenger seat of that rig. Feels so unnatural. Driving that I'm sure will take some getting used to. Gonna be a cool build.
Ever drive one?

You try to put yourself in the same location in the lane as in a normal car...which puts the box around you straddling the centerline. It's hard to train yourself to sit there, shifting wrong handed and that stuff is easy though.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 139434
That pretty cool having the clock in the gauge cluster.

Funny you posted up those energy bushings, I found a new set in the garage yesterday as well. Mine are a sweet red color though.

2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.7 tow rig

IG: @boomtacoma01

-Chris
Boomtacoma01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by squamch View Post
Ever drive one?

You try to put yourself in the same location in the lane as in a normal car...which puts the box around you straddling the centerline. It's hard to train yourself to sit there, shifting wrong handed and that stuff is easy though.
It literally takes about 5 minutes to get used to on the wrong side. I had an international drivers license for about 6 years.

Last edited by Aisin; 01-15-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisin View Post
It literally takes about 5 minutes to get used to on the wrong side. I had an international drivers license for about 6 years.
Oh Ok, my mistake.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:27 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Worked a little on the truck last night. Frame rails cleaned of the stock motor mounts, shock towers, etc. Now its a clean slate. Im going to get some new motor mount plates cut for the 1uz, then wait for my exhaust manifolds (2uz tundra headers and SC430 manifolds) to come in before i test fit the engine back in again. I also ordered my r150 to lexus bellhousing adapter plate and will be buying an inchworm r150 to gear driven t-case adapter off of the classifieds. Its starting to come together. Just need Marlin to restock the 23-spline input gears then i can get it all together.

Some pics:

Dash and steering column/shaft mounted to check for clearances to the 1uz. You can see the clock in the center of the gauge cluster. Turbo truck dual diaphragm booster also mounted.

As you can see the floor around the front body mounts is completely gone. The body mounts themselves are solid however. I have a donor cab that ill be cutting up to repair all of this rust. I hate working with toyota sheetmetal so this will be interesting.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Some new parts started to roll in. RHD Toyota Surf PS box that was shipped from England. I will probably have to swap the arm out to a flat version as i plan on using heims instead of TREs for the steering.

Also bought a new Inchworm adapter to bolt up a gear driven case to the r150f. It has a 10* rotation option built in.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:41 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Anyone know where to get RHD hi-steer arms other than TG? I know FROR makes a keyed set, but would prefer some Ackerman angle built in (not sure if thats an option with them).
Old 01-23-2018, 07:50 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Some swap parts started to come in yesterday. I bought a set of Egay chinese Tundra 2uz headers to see if they will fit. Not gonna happen in a first gen. They hit all kinds of shit. For $118 i figured i would give them a shit. Im letting boomtaco01 try them out for his 1uz swap into his 2nd gen. Maybe he will have more luck.

Some pics comparing the two. As you can see, the stock SC430 manifolds from a 3uz bolt right up and are much tighter to the clock. I plan on cutting off the flange and welding on some v-band clamps once i figure out where i need to route things.

The sc430 manifolds.

You can see how tight they are to the block.

Im hoping to make some mounts and get the engine and trans in this weekend so i can move on to some suspension work.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Excellent work so far. What are you using to host pictures?
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisin View Post
Excellent work so far. What are you using to host pictures?
Thanks. Im using google photos and using this site to link them.
https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/?_ga...559.1500563438

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in