Passing CA Smog Referee with Toyota 3.4 Swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
RipRunner

Member #
Passing CA Smog Referee with Toyota 3.4 Swap

Hi all. I'm newly registered on this forum, and I'm hoping that some of you will share your experiences and insight.

Does anyone have recent experience passing the California smog ref inspection with their Toyota 3.4 swap? I am about to undertake this swap and am trying to figure out what exactly to do with the exhaust system. Here's some background: my donor vehicle is a 2004 Tacoma 5 spd. manual 4x4; the recipient is a 1995 4Runner 5 spd. manual 4x4. Donor and recipient are (mostly) complete and side by side in the garage. Donor tipped over off road and was totaled, recipient's 3.0 has a blown head gasket.

Please let me know what worked for you and what didn't, and if you know of any particularly lenient refs.

Thanks in advance!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 39436
You need everything related to smog/exhaust from 3.4 truck put inside 3.0 truck.
Unless you're in a non-smog county. Than just swap that shit.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 48401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjed View Post
You need everything related to smog/exhaust from 3.4 truck put inside 3.0 truck.
Unless you're in a non-smog county. Than just swap that shit.
this man is correct, thats how the REF said I had to do it on my 4.3 swap

Old 01-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 190921
Just swap bodies.. easey peasy

Seriously you will find very few lenient stations in our fare county. You absolutely need everything related to engine operation, the station will be doing a static test through your OBD2 connector as well as a thorough visual.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87473
Most people take about three trips to get through. Have as much paperwork as you can to make their job easier. It has been awhile since I did mine but I think I documented everything in my thread. Mine is a daily driver.

Here's the build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KarateDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 727817
best advice find out who your local ref is and go talk with that person say I'm loking to swap and make legal a 3.4 there usually kind enough to print you out what they look for and what they require to pass it I passed my swap on the 2nd time
Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
RipRunner

Member #
Thanks all for your posts!

I intend not to cut corners as far as swapping over emissions equipment, wiring (going to use ORS harness), diagnostics, etc.

The main thing I am unsure of is how to handle the exhaust. I've heard the safest is to route it down the PS of the 4Runner, like it is routed on the 3.4 donor. I did however speak over the phone with the ref at LA Trade Tech (name is Roc? Rock?), and he said he was fine with a DS exhaust reroute as long as "all dimensions are the same as stock". Not entirely sure what is meant by this. I plan to schedule another call with him for more specifics. I will update once I know more.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
That is what i have wondered as well. But for a different type of vehicle. Smog laws say the cat can not be moved more than 3” from the factory location. Well in a swap, the cat usually gets moved to the opposite side of the vehicle, or some cases multiple areas.

Get a hold of your local referee and get written answer (maybe even archive that answer here with the ref’s BAR number)

They will probably say that you put it where the donor vehicle had them, and that heat shields will need to be installed and adequate. Would hate to see a bad tune light your carpet on fire.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6170
I believe, and talk to an actual ref to verify, but they don't want you to move the cat further from the engine. So you could move the cat to the drivers side, but keep it the same distance from the engine as it was on the pass side. The whole idea is that the closer the cat is to the engine, the sooner it heats up, and the less the vehicle pollutes.

I've known people that swap in a 3.4 and use the whole drive train and drivers drop t-case with the exhaust on the pass side. They get the ref to sign off on it, then swap the exhaust to the drivers side and put a gear drive pass drop case in. The ref doesn't care that a drivers drop t-case and pass drop axle won't play together, he only cares that the emissions stuff is all there and functioning. As far as I know there is no record of where shit needs to be after he signs off on it, smog shop just knows there is the correct cat on there. YMMV.

Best advice is to go talk to the ref that's going to check it out.

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
RipRunner

Member #
I have another call with a ref later this week. I plan to get the most specific information possible about which measurements in the exhaust system he will be looking for. I will update after the call.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 125937
referees seem to vary drastically on what they will sign off on and what they wont.

I have read guys who swap the whole exhaust over without and issue and some that get failed, depending on their local guy that inspects it.

Fresno is among the strictest that I have heard of, and where I live so that makes it to where everything has to be perfect.

I have been through there 4 times with 3.4 swaps. 3 manuals and 1 auto. Each has passed. Each had the exhaust on the passenger side. Once we build a bracket and extended pushrod for the clutch slave. Worked great.

Get through the ref and then you just regular smog checks and they dont check which side the exhaust runs down.

We just came home from the ref and ripped everything apart, and ran the exhaust down the other side.

I wouldn't waste your time on the phone. I did that the first time and pretty much everything I was told on the phone, the local guy wouldn't agree with. Its the local guy whose ass is on the line, so go and talk to him.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
RipRunner

Member #
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntsdad View Post
referees seem to vary drastically on what they will sign off on and what they wont.

I have read guys who swap the whole exhaust over without and issue and some that get failed, depending on their local guy that inspects it.

Fresno is among the strictest that I have heard of, and where I live so that makes it to where everything has to be perfect.

I have been through there 4 times with 3.4 swaps. 3 manuals and 1 auto. Each has passed. Each had the exhaust on the passenger side. Once we build a bracket and extended pushrod for the clutch slave. Worked great.

Get through the ref and then you just regular smog checks and they dont check which side the exhaust runs down.

We just came home from the ref and ripped everything apart, and ran the exhaust down the other side.

I wouldn't waste your time on the phone. I did that the first time and pretty much everything I was told on the phone, the local guy wouldn't agree with. Its the local guy whose ass is on the line, so go and talk to him.
Thanks for posting dntsdad, I've peeped some of your swap threads.

I just spoke to the ref in Woodland Hills, who manages a few refs in the LA area. I asked him about exhaust routing and he called his boss. He called me back and said he was OK with the reroute. He even pulled up the ORS crossover pipe on their website and said it looked good, and that as long as everything was close to the same diameter (+/- 0.25 in) and length (+/- 4 in) that he would pass me. I asked him if I could get that in writing and he said no chance

I plan to use the ORS crossover pipe and mirror the 3.4 stock exhaust as closely as possible to the DS of the 4Runner. When inspection day comes I will make sure my appointment is with Jack the referee in Woodland Hills.

Does anyone have experience with the ORS crossover pipe and DS exhaust routing with this swap? What are some of the issues I will encounter in trying to maintain the 3.4 stock exhaust dimensions? I will be calling Mike @ ORS soon, but would appreciate your input!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17842
Send a message via AIM to GroundsKeeprWilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipRunner View Post
Thanks for posting dntsdad, I've peeped some of your swap threads.

I just spoke to the ref in Woodland Hills, who manages a few refs in the LA area. I asked him about exhaust routing and he called his boss. He called me back and said he was OK with the reroute. He even pulled up the ORS crossover pipe on their website and said it looked good, and that as long as everything was close to the same diameter (+/- 0.25 in) and length (+/- 4 in) that he would pass me. I asked him if I could get that in writing and he said no chance

I plan to use the ORS crossover pipe and mirror the 3.4 stock exhaust as closely as possible to the DS of the 4Runner. When inspection day comes I will make sure my appointment is with Jack the referee in Woodland Hills.

Does anyone have experience with the ORS crossover pipe and DS exhaust routing with this swap? What are some of the issues I will encounter in trying to maintain the 3.4 stock exhaust dimensions? I will be calling Mike @ ORS soon, but would appreciate your input!
Any update on your Ref process? I failed my inspection today in Vallejo,CA and he said i needed to route my exhaust on the driver side (I used the ORS Pipe also). Its frustrating because Everything else passed. I am looking for other options as well as visiting another ref to see if its easier to pass with them.
GroundsKeeprWilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 11:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 225201
That's seriously messed up.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 17842
Send a message via AIM to GroundsKeeprWilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntsdad View Post

Are you selling your bracket and extended push rod? I am looking to have my exhaust drop down the passenger side since i failed my ref today for having a DS drop.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 3132
I wonder of you could do it on the side they want, then swap it over and lie to the smog tech in a couple years. Say that the side you have it on now is where it was during the referee
Old 07-16-2018, 09:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Might cost you an extra smog, but a couple years down the road.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundsKeeprWilly View Post
Any update on your Ref process? I failed my inspection today in Vallejo,CA and he said i needed to route my exhaust on the driver side (I used the ORS Pipe also). Its frustrating because Everything else passed. I am looking for other options as well as visiting another ref to see if its easier to pass with them.
When I did mine about 8 years ago(Butte College location) the ref I got did not care about the side as long as the length was right. It is kind of like going to the DMV, Some will tell you one thing and some will tell you others. I am about to do another 3.4 swap and am going to run the exhaust on the passenger side until I get the sticker than swap it over. Just another hoop:shaking
Old 07-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 125937
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundsKeeprWilly View Post
Are you selling your bracket and extended push rod? I am looking to have my exhaust drop down the passenger side since i failed my ref today for having a DS drop.
No not selling anything

Not that hard though. Mount the slave back about 6" from stock and fab up a bracket to mount it. Weld some stock onto the stock pushrod the length you moved the slave back.

I wouldn't drive it like that permanently but it got us through the ref, and like most things, what was going to be a "we'll pull it out the night after we pass" ended up being 3-4 weeks later......driven every day. Worked fine.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 96143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underkill View Post
Just swap bodies.. easey peasy
This is how you end up with the better chassis anyway.
Unless you're doing a SAS....
Rix86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 877380
I know I'm a year late. But, was this ever resolved? I have a 3.4 swap done by ToyOnlySwaps in Oregon. I took mine to get refereed at Modesto Junior College and they wanted a long list of stuff to get done. I already installed a 7th injector kit and I probably only have two choices now. 1. Under the table smog. 2. Register to another county that doesn't require smog.
JQwanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 46928
Send a message via Yahoo to Edisonsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQwanda View Post
I know I'm a year late. But, was this ever resolved? I have a 3.4 swap done by ToyOnlySwaps in Oregon. I took mine to get refereed at Modesto Junior College and they wanted a long list of stuff to get done. I already installed a 7th injector kit and I probably only have two choices now. 1. Under the table smog. 2. Register to another county that doesn't require smog.
Not sure what’s so hard. Mine passed with no problems. 97 3.4 supercharged. 7th injector. Exhaust down the drivers side in a 94 truck. In whittier CA
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/memb...019-sc-toy.jpg
1994 Toyota Extra cab, Exo, SAS, Linked, Kings, Air Bumps, 60s, 5.38, Detroit/Detroit, 40"Maxxis Comp Trepadors, Supercharged 3.4 5vz V6, A340F Auto Trans Manual shift, Atlas 4.3 4spd, Winch front and rear. CA smog legal and DD

2018 Colorado ZR2 Duramax
2005 Dodge 2500HD Cummins 4x4 35s

Last edited by Edisonsteve; 12-27-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Edisonsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 877506
Question 1986 4RUNNER TURBO (22RET) SWAP TO 3.4 5VZ CA smog

Hello,

Great info! Thanks in advanced on this one... My '86 RET Turbo 4Runner just cracked the turbo and now the head gasket. She's done in stock form. Luckily she has the A340F auto transmission and A340H transfer case stock from being a turbo, so It seems like a 5VZ-FE will bolt up to the A340F pretty easily, but i'm wondering what the best donor vehicle would be? A 1995-98 T100 seems to be the best because of the oil pan, dip stick and tranny, but maybe a pre 4runner or Tacoma is better for the CA smog test? Just trying to get the most information up front. Thanks!

If you could buy any donor vehicle to do a 3.4 swap into a 1986 4Runner Turbo 22RET , what would you buy? It will have to smog in California.
SBTCAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 6170
You could do the t100, but be carefull if you plan to use any aftermarket parts like cold air intakes as they may not be CARB certified for a t100. You also might have issues getting the intake to fit as its for a much wider vehicle. A friend of mine ran into that with his 3rz swap.

Obviously it would be much easier to just use a 3.4 out of a 4runner or tacoma.

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edisonsteve View Post
Not sure what’s so hard. Mine passed with no problems. 97 3.4 supercharged. 7th injector. Exhaust down the drivers side in a 94 truck. In whittier CA
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/memb...019-sc-toy.jpg
When did you do yours?

From what I heard, the start of 2019 caused a lot of issues to new CARB compliant swaps. In talking with a shop that used to do TONs of smog legal LSx swaps, he has stopped doing them due to the issues.

My understanding of the main issue is on an ODB2 swap they want ANY systems that might interact with the PCM to be integrated into the target rig; this was things like body harness related stuff(ABS, etc)

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh

Last edited by Lil'John; 12-28-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Lil'John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in