Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2018, 07:53 PM   #226 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmartin View Post
I've read this thread from start to finish a few times and check back to see the updates. I'm glad to finally see a V8 runner in the race.
Thanks for the great post.

Quote:
-Your Atrac thingy, Why even bother with the install, wiring/tricking computer for something that isn't really designed to do what you want it to do?
We're currently working with Currie to widen the rear axle 3" more than we were originally anticipating. This may eliminate ABS for us and ATRAC will be dead. If not, my switch that takes no time to install will eliminate it and people have driven thousands of miles with the switch with no issues - its the easiest and most reliable way to remove ABS.

Quote:
-you will be in 4WD Hi through the desert sections, front locker off, coming into the rocky sections, turn on ARB. How much simpler does it get?
Exactly.

Quote:
-Why in the world would you replace doors with salvage doors and ship across country? The runner will be dented up when race is over, just gut and cut your doors. that's money wasted. A Sport Hood? Why? To have a scoop? That will be nice for the dust.
This is simple. My flawless, complete Limited exterior stuff is worth a lot. Salvage shell parts are cheap. I'd rather put on cheap salvage parts ready to be destroyed and sell the valuable parts so I can buy other stuff for the build.

Quote:
-Lots of high dollar nice gadgets going on this for sure. What's the budget?
If it wasn't for my ~20 sponsors, we'd already be way over budget. Their support has been HUGE!

Quote:
-Weight? What's the target weight?
I don't know. We're going to shed as much weight as possible and see where we end up. Anyone know the base weight of a v8 4Runner so we can see how much we shed when all is said and done?

Quote:
-Cage internal or external?
Internal.

Quote:
-you are starting with a great powerplant in a heavy pig. I think I would be figuring out where I could shed weight.
Yes, that is coming up very soon in the build plan.

Quote:
-leaving dash in or gutting it?
Leaving. I've see way too many teams strip out tons of electrical to save 5 lbs just to go out of the race due to an electrical issue.

Quote:
-as far as spare tires you asked about, I would have at least 3. 1 mounted, 2 in pits. I would rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
We'll have 1 Mounted + 3 in the pits. Tires are ordered!

Quote:
-someone mentioned replacing starter, alt. etc. I agree 100%, but only if you use the factory units not some bullshit reman crap.
I've heard that 3x now - I'm smart enough to listen to sound advice. It'll be new Denso - I'll find a way to squeeze it in the budget in the winter when we replace them.

Quote:
-listen to the ones who have raced. Learn from there mistakes.
-I want to see this project finished, and I will be cheering for ya at the starting line.
Awesome - if you're at the race in Feb, I'd love to have someone of your experience helping us out as much as possible!
Charles4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #227 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
Following this with cautious optimism. It would be awesome to see an ifs toyota do really well against all the solid axle jeeps.

Of all the plans I've seen so far no mention of a roll cage. Possibly the most important part?

That being said I'll be following the build and rooting you on at the race. Best of Luck.
A friend of Wyatt Scott - owner of RockSolidToys - will likely be doing the cage for us at the very end. He'll also tie the seats into the cage.

Thanks for the encouragement! I read a post a year or two ago on Pirate where the Toyota Enthusiasts were getting depressed at how much Toyota builds are dropping out of KOH and how Jeeps are taking over. Maybe this build will help turn the tables...

EDIT: Found the post that stuck with me for a long time:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...ss-yota-6.html

"So I checked out the 4600 class before the start of the EMC at KOH. Nothing but Cherokees, grand Cherokees, high dollar wranglers (read Jesse Coombs) and one lonely IFS 1st gen 4runner...
- Looks like the Yotas are getting outgunned by the heeps. There used to be alot more yotas out there. I wonder if people are starting to figure out that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to dump thousands of dollars into a rig to race an event where you literally have a about 2% chance of finishing let alone winning...
- Not much Toyota love out there this year. Hell even the one that killed the 4500 class last year got the LCE 4banger ripped out, an LS dropped in, got painted blue, and DNF'd. At least Marlin is still reppin' with a vender booth...
- Sad times. I think the 4600 class is just going by the wayside. You see the type of build Combs had this year and it's like...why...
- That being said, if I had the base coil front runner/taco sitting around and some support I'd build it and give 'er hell...
- Lots and lots of four-cylinder Toyota’s in Hammertown. They just aren’t racing...
- Yup, there was Yotas everywhere just not on the starting line. There was 15 or 20 heeps lined up so I think the 4600 class is far from dead."

And know that I've still got a few surprises up my sleeves for this build - some I'm sure I'll get backlash over and others that are going to take this to a whole new level.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 07-26-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #228 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
In that case, donít even fuck around with the seats until your building the cage.
Only reason they are going in right now is logistics. It makes it easier to get everything out to CA in mid-September and I won't have to clog up my team's shops with a bunch of Toyota seats and stuff while it's out there.

Everything but the essentials is coming out now while it's in AL so I can deal with it without burdening someone else.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #229 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4x4 View Post
A friend of Wyatt Scott - owner of RockSolidToys - will likely be doing the cage for us at the very end. He'll also tie the seats into the cage.

Thanks for the encouragement! I read a post a year or two ago on Pirate where the Toyota Enthusiasts were getting depressed at how much Toyota builds are dropping out of KOH and how Jeeps are taking over. Maybe this build will help turn the tables...

EDIT: Found the post that stuck with me for a long time:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...ss-yota-6.html

"So I checked out the 4600 class before the start of the EMC at KOH. Nothing but Cherokees, grand Cherokees, high dollar wranglers (read Jesse Coombs) and one lonely IFS 1st gen 4runner...
- Looks like the Yotas are getting outgunned by the heeps. There used to be alot more yotas out there. I wonder if people are starting to figure out that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to dump thousands of dollars into a rig to race an event where you literally have a about 2% chance of finishing let alone winning...
- Not much Toyota love out there this year. Hell even the one that killed the 4500 class last year got the LCE 4banger ripped out, an LS dropped in, got painted blue, and DNF'd. At least Marlin is still reppin' with a vender booth...
- Sad times. I think the 4600 class is just going by the wayside. You see the type of build Combs had this year and it's like...why...
- That being said, if I had the base coil front runner/taco sitting around and some support I'd build it and give 'er hell...
- Lots and lots of four-cylinder Toyotaís in Hammertown. They just arenít racing...
- Yup, there was Yotas everywhere just not on the starting line. There was 15 or 20 heeps lined up so I think the 4600 class is far from dead."

And know that I've still got a few surprises up my sleeves for this build - some I'm sure I'll get backlash over and others that are going to take this to a whole new level.
Rustynailjustin has been racing 4600, and done well for years. Percentage-wise toyotas are outnumbered by a fair margin and I would say due to a lack of truly race-ready support (by 4600 standards). Even the 4500 you mentioned, makes no sense on paper. I was glad to see it win, but never would have dumped that amount of money into a 3rz (and I like the 3rz).

I wish you all the best, but believe that at best you will learn some hard lessons, if you make it to the start line.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #230 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Rustynailjustin has been racing 4600, and done well for years. Percentage-wise toyotas are outnumbered by a fair margin and I would say due to a lack of truly race-ready support (by 4600 standards). Even the 4500 you mentioned, makes no sense on paper. I was glad to see it win, but never would have dumped that amount of money into a 3rz (and I like the 3rz).
Yeah, Justin has been a real friend and a mentor to me on this build since the beginning. He has gone out of his way numerous times to give me tips and ideas for the build. He has a 4th gen he wanted to build up just like we are, but is planning on racing the 1st gen again this year instead.

Not afraid to fail...just afraid of not trying.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 07-26-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #231 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Great attitude!
Old 07-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #232 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
FYI you should mount the seats to the cage.

It's not just your opinion, it's the safest method.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #233 (permalink)

Member # 83301
This is turning out like @thebonds tow rig thread.....

Last edited by pennsylvaniaboy; 08-10-2018 at 08:50 AM.
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 06:35 AM   #234 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
This is turning out like Bones' tow rig thread.....
Take a week vacation and still zero build progress.

What's this tow rig thread you speak of? I haven't owned a tow rig since 2002
Bones is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #235 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Take a week vacation and still zero build progress.

What's this tow rig thread you speak of? I haven't owned a tow rig since 2002
my bad, I mean @thebonds? ramp truck dealio.....

Last edited by pennsylvaniaboy; 08-10-2018 at 08:50 AM.
pennsylvaniaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #236 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 232477
Quote:
Even the 4500 you mentioned, makes no sense on paper. I was glad to see it win, but never would have dumped that amount of money into a 3rz (and I like the 3rz).
Please enlighten me on this quote. what makes no sense? How do you know how much money was invested?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:38 AM   #237 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2feathers View Post
Please enlighten me on this quote. what makes no sense? How do you know how much money was invested?
The engine that is in the car now is FAR cheaper to achieve and maintain 400+ hp and torque. I don't really care how much "you" had invested in it, what you did yourself, or what deals you got. It all could have been done for less money on an engine that started with more displacement, and a small weight penalty.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:16 AM   #238 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
The engine that is in the car now is FAR cheaper to achieve and maintain 400+ hp and torque. I don't really care how much "you" had invested in it, what you did yourself, or what deals you got. It all could have been done for less money on an engine that started with more displacement, and a small weight penalty.
I don't think it would have had nearly the following though

if everything in racing simply came down to bang for the buck, U4 would look like nascar

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #239 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Quote:
2feathers was undefeated in what 3 or 4 races.

New guy, new engine-DNF. Watched it die on the bottom of Sledge.

I sure wish 2feathers would have kept that car and kept racing. The coolness factor was off the hook.

Now back to the task at hand...
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #240 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
I don't think it would have had nearly the following though

if everything in racing simply came down to bang for the buck, U4 would look like nascar
Only toyota guys care, which is a small segment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
2feathers was undefeated in what 3 or 4 races.

New guy, new engine-DNF. Watched it die on the bottom of Sledge.

I sure wish 2feathers would have kept that car and kept racing. The coolness factor was off the hook.

Now back to the task at hand...
I don't know, I thought it debuted at koh and was sold by summer? The same happened with the savvy lj that dominated for years. I don't think the new owner has ever podiumed, or how many races he has finished? Point being that team and driver are more important than the parts.

Last edited by Wilson; 08-01-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #241 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Only toyota guys care, which is a small segment

I don't know, I thought it debuted at koh and was sold by summer? The same happened with the savvy lj that dominated for years. I don't think the new owner has ever podiumed, or how many races he has finished? Point being that team and driver are more important than the parts.
I'm not a Toyota guy and was more than impressed with that car. Bottom line. That car won every race it entered. 4-4 Including Nationals and KOH. Anyway you look at it. It was a perfect combo. The fool that pulled that motor for an LS can't get it to work for shit. That car pulled on monster LS's on the short courses also. Plus the fact that it was a Toyota motor and Toyota looking truck. Sponsors loved that car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #242 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
I'm not a Toyota guy and was more than impressed with that car. Bottom line. That car won every race it entered. 4-4 Including Nationals and KOH. Anyway you look at it. It was a perfect combo. The fool that pulled that motor for an LS can't get it to work for shit. That car pulled on monster LS's on the short courses also. Plus the fact that it was a Toyota motor and Toyota looking truck. Sponsors loved that car.

Iím a Jeep guy!!
I remember them pointing out the leaf sprung Toyota on the livestream at koh.
Few years back!!
Qualifying run, I think??
(Might be the one you guys are talking about)
Anyway.... I thought it was cool as shit!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #243 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quick update:
- First, I was wrong! I installed the ABS Kill Switch and drove all this past week - I thought the 4.7L was fast before. With ABS off, it's a whole new beast.

You all were right! We will be running KOH with ABS Off. I still like the switch so I can have ABS on when I drive to CA in mid-Sept, but once it's in CA, it'll be off full time!

- Salvage parts have started to arrive and the remainder should be here this week (Liftgate will be gutted - glass, motors, electrical, etc will be sold):

- PRP seats are here. These will be installed on temp brackets as soon as this weekend for the drive to CA and integrated into the roll-cage in CA:

- Fuel cell, mount, filler, pump, filters, Alltech baffles etc will all be here this week and I hope to have rough mounting done this coming weekend. Only thing I lack here is the AN fittings and hoses.

- Master Kill Switch from Painless should also be here this week and installed this coming weekend.

- URD MAF Calibrator will be here on Friday and will be installed this coming weekend along with gauges.

- Cooper STT Pros and KMC Enduro Beadlock wheels have all been received and are stored at Marlin Crawler's shops in CA. I'll hopefully have some pics to post soon.

More to come soon!

Last edited by Charles4x4; 08-06-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #244 (permalink)

Member # 193971
Nice, looks like things are starting to come together!

ROLL TIDE!
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 AM   #245 (permalink)

Member # 3007
So all these parts are being shipped to Alabama, then going to CA for the build?? And you are driving the vehicle there? I am so confused
Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #246 (permalink)

Member # 228921
Quote:
So all these parts are being shipped to Alabama, then going to CA for the build?? And you are driving the vehicle there? I am so confused
10 pages and I think no one knows what's happening... Shoot it took to page 10 to figure out ABS isn't for racing in KOH
Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #247 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkn View Post
10 pages and I think no one knows what's happening... Shoot it took to page 10 to figure out ABS isn't for racing in KOH
Glad I am not the only one not getting the point of this "build" thread.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #248 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
From the post above that should be helpful:

Phase I (May to Early-Sept in AL):
- Engine Upgrades
- Fuel System Install
- Strip Interior, Install Seats, Gauges, Electrical, Blue/Amber Lights, etc
- All body modifications (4 doors, fenders, liftgate, hood)
- Front Suspension, Rear Suspension, Steering, Axles, Front RCVs, Bumpers/Sliders/Skids all being prototyped and tested in CA

--- 4Runner goes to CA in Mid-Sept ---

Phase II (Mid-Sept to Oct in CA):
- Front Suspension and Steering installed
- Front Axle Built and RCVs installed
- Atlas II installed along with cross member built
- Rear Suspension and Rear Axle installed
- Front/Rear Bumpers, Sliders, and Skid Plates installed
- Roll Cage Installed

Phase III (Nov to Dec at JV):
- First round of On-Site testing in JV
- Fix, Revise, Rebuild
- Test, Fix, Test and Test Some More

Phase IV (Jan in CA):
- Vehicle Wrap Installed
- Final Preparations
- Contingency Time for Whatever Surprises Come

Phase I (Feb 4-8 at JV):
- Pre-Run
- Race

Last edited by Charles4x4; 08-07-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #249 (permalink)

Member # 6170
People just like to complain.

This is the most active thread in the toyota section recently though.

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #250 (permalink)

Member # 3007
If not seeing any progress on a 10 page thread is complaining, then yes I am

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in