Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #251 (permalink)

Member # 4211
JAZ Pro Sport II - 22 Gal race fuel cell just arrived from JEGS:

Slowly running out of space:

Also got the Painless Master Kill Switch, secondary latches, fuel line adapter for AEM AFR Gauge, and a few other odds and ends today:
Charles4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #252 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Fab. View Post
People just like to complain.

This is the most active thread in the toyota section recently though.

Kevin
Good to know - thanks Kevin! Any encouragement is welcomed! We've got a ways to go, but a ton has been accomplished. Albeit not in standard "build thread" style, which is throwing a lot of people off.

Hope to have the Atlas II, Adapter, Nitro Front Gears, and Front ARB ordered Today!

Last edited by Charles4x4; 08-07-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #253 (permalink)

Member # 156657
I don't remember reading it but you should look into spindle gussets too . Is that your down hill barbie jeep racer hiding under the cell
cryptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #254 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic toy View Post
I don't remember reading it but you should look into spindle gussets too . Is that your down hill barbie jeep racer hiding under the cell
Yes, there are some aftermarket spindle gussets we can use if needed, but I'm expecting we'll fab all new spindles with the front suspension - maybe similar to these from Solo Motorsports:

Here are gussets from Total Chaos:
http://www.chaosfab.com/2003-2009-4R...-Gussets-59698
http://www.chaosfab.com/2003-2009-4R...ssets-59698-SB

My 5 and 2 yr old girls race that pink barbie jeep KOH style around the driveway! Who knows what they'd do if they had the one with 2x voltage!

Last edited by Charles4x4; 08-07-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #255 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
This is Pirate. Don't let the bitching get to you. Guys will bitch about pretty much anything. There are still a few guys on here that have some good info. The rest just like to bitch and web wheel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #256 (permalink)

Member # 156657
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
This is Pirate. Don't let the bitching get to you. Guys will bitch about pretty much anything. There are still a few guys on here that have some good info. The rest just like to bitch and web wheel.
I totally agree with this ! I will say that I'm not happy with how much I have wheeled my junk ! It is still hooked to a 35 ft mouse infested camper since last labor day , call me pathetic if you want but I really think some people are not happy in there own life and try to bring others down to there level to feel better!

To the op I really hope you can link live or somewhat feed back leading upto the race and while at the race. That would really redeem this thread keep all the flashy pics for face looser and instafawk and show all the detailed stuff here! Keep on plug in away.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 PM   #257 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
good to see more parts rolling in

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2018, 05:22 AM   #258 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Really? This thread has limited tech and is zero build and is pages long. I am not bitching to bitch, I am bitching because the OP started this huge campaign and has yet to do more than a bolt on exhaust and order some parts.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #259 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Really? This thread has limited tech and is zero build and is pages long. I am not bitching to bitch, I am bitching because the OP started this huge campaign and has yet to do more than a bolt on exhaust and order some parts.
This right here. With all the bolt ons this thread would be better off in the FJ section. It has just about nothing in common with 79 to 95 Toyotas.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #260 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Yes really. It'd only be 3 pages if you got rid of all the bitching. Best part is. Your last build was a 4runner with a bike rack and tube bumpers. That's a ton of tech. Do you even wheel anymore?

A lot of the reason Pirate has gone down the shitter is cause people are afraid to post. We were all new here at one point. I build a lot shit. But I still wait till I'm a few weeks in before I post. Cause I know guys are going to bitch about updates.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #261 (permalink)

Member # 3007
My last build? haha, hardly a build. I have passion for the hobby, but have no desire to sink my $$ into something where any wheeling is a days drive or more. I am no more hardcore than the OP wannbe racer.

BTW, love your builds and your current rig.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #262 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Is the scoop on that hood functional or cosmetic? Any concern about the extra dust being shoveled into the engine bay if it is functional?

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #263 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Is the scoop on that hood functional or cosmetic? Any concern about the extra dust being shoveled into the engine bay if it is functional?
No it's just there for looks. Airbox is behind the headlight (EDIT: location on V6's, I think the V8 is a bit further back towards the firewall)

Last edited by Bones; 08-08-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #264 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
My last build? haha, hardly a build. I have passion for the hobby, but have no desire to sink my $$ into something where any wheeling is a days drive or more. I am no more hardcore than the OP wannbe racer.

BTW, love your builds and your current rig.
Just busting your balls and thanks. I definitely have my doubts about this build making the start. But I'll give the OP a chance before I start ripping into him.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #265 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Quote:
Yes really. It'd only be 3 pages if you got rid of all the bitching. Best part is. Your last build was a 4runner with a bike rack and tube bumpers. That's a ton of tech. Do you even wheel anymore?

A lot of the reason Pirate has gone down the shitter is cause people are afraid to post. We were all new here at one point. I build a lot shit. But I still wait till I'm a few weeks in before I post. Cause I know guys are going to bitch about updates.
Well said. I really don't know why amybody bitches about anything, I mean really how does this effect your life in hugely negative way. Yes, it's kinda going nowhere fast but hey he's representing Toyota at KOH. It's a huge undertaking no matter how you look at it, especially from a guy on the east coast. Whether he makes to the start line obviously remains to be seen, but he's doing what I would love to be doing and noone else on the Toyota board is doing it. Constructive critisism is always good, and there's lots of good information to be gained by posting up on here. And IF he beats down any heeps in the process that'l be a bonus. Rock on fuckers
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #266 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
And IF he beats down any heeps in the process that'l be a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2018, 05:07 AM   #267 (permalink)

Member # 604297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4x4 View Post
From the post above that should be helpful:

Phase I (May to Early-Sept in AL):
- Engine Upgrades bolt on intake and exhaust that will need to be removed
- Fuel System Install Bolt in a Fuel Cell because you don't have the AN fittings
- Strip Interior, Install Seats temporarily, only to rip them out again and reset them upon cage install, Gauges, Electrical, Blue/Amber Lights best mod yet, etc
- All body modifications (4 doors, fenders, liftgate, hood) this can be done in about 6 beers, not 10 pages and 4 months
- Front Suspension, Rear Suspension, Steering, Axles, Front RCVs, Bumpers/Sliders/Skids all being prototyped and tested in CA

--- 4Runner goes to CA in Mid-Sept ---

Maaaaaybe a weekend of work that has taken 10 pages and 4-5months?

I'm no schedule planner but this timeline doesn't seem to help you. Seems like a lot of this stuff is just tinkering around with stuff that is going to have to come back out again anyway

Not saying it wouldn't be cool to see this out there just saying it's time to kick it into gear if you plan on testing before January.

Last edited by Cool Hand Luke; 08-09-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2018, 06:30 AM   #268 (permalink)

Member # 366402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4x4 View Post
Quick update:
- First, I was wrong! I installed the ABS Kill Switch and drove all this past week - I thought the 4.7L was fast before. With ABS off, it's a whole new beast.
Curious... how does shutting ABS off make an engine quicker?

(coming from a 4th gen 2UZ 4Runner and 2001 2UZ Tundra owner)
jetranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #269 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetranger View Post

Kinda my thoughts as well, but I don't want to the meanie of the thread anymore.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #270 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Maaaaaybe a weekend of work that has taken 10 pages and 4-5months?

I'm no schedule planner but this timeline doesn't seem to help you. Seems like a lot of this stuff is just tinkering around with stuff that is going to have to come back out again anyway

Not saying it wouldn't be cool to see this out there just saying it's time to kick it into gear if you plan on testing before January.
Pretty sure this build is going to Ca to be completed. His part in the build is ordering parts.

Quote:

All I can think of, is that a lot of traction control systems back the throttle off when they sense a wheel slip.

Quote:
Kinda my thoughts as well, but I don't want to the meanie of the thread anymore.
You can still be the meanie. Wouldn't be Pirate if there weren't any.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #271 (permalink)

Member # 156657
With out the abs/traction control it is like an old truck when you hit the skinny pedal it goes ,no well maybe oh no we won't just a little bit hard surface let's go!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #272 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Quote:
I totally agree with this ! I will say that I'm not happy with how much I have wheeled my junk ! It is still hooked to a 35 ft mouse infested camper since last labor day , call me pathetic if you want but I really think some people are not happy in there own life and try to bring others down to there level to feel better!

To the op I really hope you can link live or somewhat feed back leading upto the race and while at the race. That would really redeem this thread keep all the flashy pics for face looser and instafawk and show all the detailed stuff here! Keep on plug in away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
good to see more parts rolling in
Quote:
Just busting your balls and thanks. I definitely have my doubts about this build making the start. But I'll give the OP a chance before I start ripping into him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
Well said. I really don't know why amybody bitches about anything, I mean really how does this effect your life in hugely negative way. Yes, it's kinda going nowhere fast but hey he's representing Toyota at KOH. It's a huge undertaking no matter how you look at it, especially from a guy on the east coast. Whether he makes to the start line obviously remains to be seen, but he's doing what I would love to be doing and noone else on the Toyota board is doing it. Constructive critisism is always good, and there's lots of good information to be gained by posting up on here. And IF he beats down any heeps in the process that'l be a bonus. Rock on fuckers
Thanks everyone! Really appreciated.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #273 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
With out the abs/traction control it is like an old truck when you hit the skinny pedal it goes ,no well maybe oh no we won't just a little bit hard surface let's go!
This!

I was way underestimating how much ABS controls everything once the skinny pedal is pushed. I was expecting it to corner a little faster, etc. But with ABS off, it's instant throttle response, faster throughout power delivery, and of course can go as fast as you want on corners without holding you back (which can of course be dangerous on the road).

I'm guessing the system holds everything back throughout the power band. For example, when you press the throttle, with ABS on it stalls power and then lets it out more slowly to ensure you don't spin the tires. With it off, it's instantly fast and stays fast - like my old 1st gen Turbo but 100x more.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #274 (permalink)

Member # 4211
More stuff that'll go in this weekend. The big stuff is yet to come in CA, but it'll be good to check a ton of stuff off the list this weekend.

To the post above - yes, I still don't have the AN fittings. Hope to get those today or tomorrow so we can close out the fuel system. And I'm still struggling with ways to get the stock sender to work with AllTech baffles - but may give up and plug in a new sender and flip resistance through a converter to work with OEM guage.

1) AllTech - No2Foam - Baffles (enough for a 24gal cell). Thanks to Chris for sponsorsing this build!

2) Harnesses and angle mounts that we'll take to CA:

3) URD MAF Calibrator (to unlock any lost HP):

Doug Thorley Headers and Hi-Flow Cats should be done today.

I'd love to dyno it, but don't have the $'s in the budget. My best guess is the 4.7L will be b/w 350-375 HP by the end of the weekend, but that may be overly optimistic. Headers alone are a 30 HP gain.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #275 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
I know it hasn't been in typical Pirate style, but a ton of work has been done.

Sponsors landed, parts arriving daily, parts being prototyped in CA, etc. 2/3 of this build will be fabrication (yet to come mostly in CA), but 1/3 has been be sales to sponsors, logistics, parts ordering, finding parts that never showed up, and overall build orchestration which is now mostly done.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 08-10-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in