Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   Toyota - Truck and 4Runner (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/12-toyota-truck-4runner/)
-   -   Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/2660392-steel-city-racing-king-hammers-2019-toyota-4runner-ifs-4600-build-thread.html)

The Brawler 06-21-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles4x4 (Post 43930854)
None of the true fab work will ramp up heavily until a couple months from now.

Seriously??? :confused: But you plan on "Being done by Thanksgiving"? And testing for 1 to 2 months before KOH? And you have a day job? And you have a family? And no crew?

Prove me wrong, but in order to build a contending KOH race car on your own in that amount of time, with all the hurdles you have would be amazing...:eek: I don't see it happening, but please prove me wrong. BTW, you've got 23 weeks until Turkey Day... :stirthepot: GO!

Black Sheep 06-21-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles4x4 (Post 43928280)

KOH or not, I dont see that exhaust faring well. Start tackling stuff that matters, like stripping that heavy pig to nothing.

Bones 06-21-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Sheep (Post 43931374)
KOH or not, I dont see that exhaust faring well. Start tackling stuff that matters, like stripping that heavy pig to nothing.

Yeah this thread is proving to be a big steaming pile of poo

Charles4x4 06-21-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieNZ (Post 43931294)
Another one following with interest

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones (Post 43931340)
You are going to race this? Bolt on exhaust and LED lights and an intake. Whoa!

I've got the popcorn

If you read the posts above (sorry, I know they are long), you know we're going to race this. I know Phase I seems boring, but there's 7-months of work yet to be done. We literally just launched this week. Exhaust will be modified. LEDs will come out (were installed by PO) when armor goes on.

Hang in there with us. I promise we'll be on the starting line in Feb, will have parts and fabrication never done to a 4th gen before, and this 4Runner will be 100% transformed!

We're at the 1% complete mark right now. I've got a huge build plan and my team in CA and I have a detailed build plan and timeline that we're following.

Charles4x4 06-21-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Sheep (Post 43931374)

Yeah, the rear portion of the cat-back will be cut off. I'm still working on Magnaflow for a race muffler - but haven't landed it via sponsorship just yet so the cat-back will have to do for now. Headers, URD y-pipe, etc will be installed in a couple days. And we'll be skid-plating the crap out of the underside - with 35's, we'll be dragging a lot on the rock trails.

Interior will be stripped, except the dash and necessary electrical stuff. Race seats, fuel cell, cage, harnesses and other safety stuff, race air, etc installed.

Doors will be pulled with gutted half-doors plugged in. Windshield and all glass will be pulled. We'll be dropping a lot of weight, but some upgrades will add a bit back (ex. rear axle and front IFS stuff will be beefy).

With all of that said, our team does have one rule - pursue elegant simplicity. In other words, if the OEM Toyota stuff is strong and reliable, we aren't going to fix what isn't broken. For example, I've ready all too many threads of people stripping electrical wires to save 1lb of weight only to go out at KOH due to an electrical issue.

We'll be doing everything that needs to be done (and there is a lot!) and will keep the rest simple.

edabd 06-22-2018 05:28 PM

Subscribed. This should be a cool build. be great to see another toyota in the stock class.

Charles4x4 06-22-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edabd (Post 43933792)
Subscribed. This should be a cool build. be great to see another toyota in the stock class.

Thanks. Toyota’s in KOH we’re heading toward extinction - hopefully we’ll turn it around in 2019!

zidaro 06-23-2018 07:52 AM

cant wait to see her all stripped down!!

What are the plans for an IFS front carrier? sticking with an OEM Toyota version or going to do it right?

Charles4x4 06-23-2018 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zidaro (Post 43934558)
cant wait to see her all stripped down!!

What are the plans for an IFS front carrier? sticking with an OEM Toyota version or going to do it right?

As mentioned on T4R, we tried to "do it right" with a Currie F9 or a D60 center, but there was no way it was fitting. So right now our plan is 4.56 gears (keep them big and strong) in the stock 8" clamshell (Atlas II 4.3 T-Case), retain ATRAC, stout shafts, and a selectable ARB up front for worst case scenario.

Fortunately our core build team has a ton of experience with the stock Toyota 8" and thinks this setup will be strong enough for 35s running 2wd in the desert and 4wd with ATRAC and the rear ARB locker in the hammers. I just have to be careful when I turn the front locker on vs. winching.

Most we have heard of have been breaking shafts on 40s or 42s vs. the actual gears. While we'll have shafts covered, we know the front diff will be the weak link, so we'll have to be smart.

cryptic toy 06-23-2018 03:05 PM

They look similar, but I was wondering about the current gen tundra diff ? For the front ? If that had the 6 cyl less torque, but it has the 8 and more weight and torque. This would be my concern. Not sure what the rules are but modified cross member / complete new could work. Maybe lift the motor an inch ?

eat.sleep.wheel 06-24-2018 01:34 AM

So how bout that gutting?

or are you going to run KOH with glass and a/c just to show the haters whats up

:grinpimp:

zidaro 06-24-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eat.sleep.wheel (Post 43935620)

:smokin::smokin: and don't forget the most important of all, for Feb KOH, seat heaters!!!

Bones 06-25-2018 06:18 AM

So you area installing things knowing you will need to remove/cut/modify them? Who would sponsor you and why? Way too much fluff and nothing getting accomplished. 1% done but you have 7 months left. Yeah you have a shot at contending :rolleyes:

Charles4x4 06-26-2018 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eat.sleep.wheel (Post 43935620)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zidaro (Post 43935710)
:smokin::smokin: and don't forget the most important of all, for Feb KOH, seat heaters!!!

I have to get my 1st gen 4Runner completed as my DD before I can gut the 4th gen. That's why the engine mods are getting crossed off the list first.

Phase II will include suspension seats, half doors, removal of the glass, gutting the interior (minus the dash), etc. Hope to be starting on it in the next week or two. Still have some final engine work left to do this week.

Still not certain what to do with the rear tailgate. I'd love to remove it completely and put some tubing back there with dual latches, but noticed most 4600s have gone back to an actual tailgate in the past few years - not sure if that is per the rules or for aesthetics.

No seat heaters :)

Provience 06-26-2018 09:21 AM

i'd imagine an actual tailgate keeps the dust in the cab way down, with the glass out and most of the internal support removed the door itself is probably pretty light.

Charles4x4 06-26-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Provience (Post 43938954)
i'd imagine an actual tailgate keeps the dust in the cab way down, with the glass out and most of the internal support removed the door itself is probably pretty light.

True. Probably why all the Grand Cherokees have everything still there but the glass.

byron4 06-26-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones (Post 43931340)
You are going to race this? Bolt on exhaust and LED lights and an intake. Whoa!

I've got the popcorn

same thought....is it a yotatech series?

whitneyj 06-26-2018 03:50 PM

Definitely subscribed. Now chop chop on the DD to get this going :D

YotaAtieToo 06-26-2018 08:31 PM

You shouldn't be using such a low tcase ratio, even in the rocks, you are racing, not slow technical crawling. You would be better off with a ~2:1 so you can leave it low all the time.

Provience 06-26-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 43940052)
You shouldn't be using such a low tcase ratio, even in the rocks, you are racing, not slow technical crawling. You would be better off with a ~2:1 so you can leave it low all the time.

#DualsorDeath!

or get a 3 speed with a 1.5 and a 3:1 option...there is plenty of time to take it easy (and winch early) in the rock sections #Bypass4Lyfe

:rasta:

Beat95YJ 06-27-2018 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Sheep (Post 43928068)
Absolutely not.

I do look forward to you posting pics here though.

This

Aisin 06-27-2018 05:58 AM

Incorrect forum. This is for 79-95 pickups and 4runners.

Charles4x4 06-27-2018 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 43940052)

I actually had Brian at 4WU say the same. But with 4.56 gears and the big V8 swapping between Hi and Low, my team in CA thinks the 4.3 Atlas will work fine.

I'm no T-Case expert though, but I looked at the math using an online RPM to T-Case to Diff calculator and 2:1 didn't look like a good fit for both high-speed desert + rock crawling (or maybe rock bouncing is a better term). I can't remember the exact math though - maybe RPMs were too high in the desert and speed was too high in the rocks if I recall.

Bones 06-27-2018 08:27 AM

You clearly don't know what you are doing with this pipe dream of yours.

Beat95YJ 06-27-2018 08:39 AM

The atlas comes in at 4.3 or a 5.0. There is no 4.7 ratio. :confused: