Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread - Page 30 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #726 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
That's more like it, much more like it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Btw..... Every inch of tube that you installed after the B pillar that didnt angle down to the frame was a giant wast of tube, money, weight & effort. Did you not look at the picture of the Baja 4runner posted in here?
See post #680:
"Note this (C-Pillar Structure) is not part of the Main Structural Cage. However, the bottom horizontal bar is actually wider than the Frame just below the floor, so in the event of a roll over, it would actually provide structural support which is nice.

From here, a Lower Shelf right at floor level will be built for the Fuel Cell. Then Fuel Cell Firewall will go from side-to-side across the back and up 2" above the cage along the same plane as the rear seats (they are still in there for mock-up purposes).Then a Upper Shelf will be built over the cage that will hold the Spare Tire horizontally above the fuel cell on 30deg/45deg angle back toward the Lift Gate. We'll then install PowerTank, Spare Tools, Ammo Cans, etc on this shelf structure and the D-Pillars."

The D-Pillar of course ties into the Frame too. In the event of a roll-over, we can't allow the rear roof to cave in... Per the rules, I assume they wouldn't let us progress past the next check-point if it did due to safety concerns and we certainly couldn't' race the truck again (4400 on Fri). The D-Pillar to B-Pillar (and to some extent the C-Pillar Quasi-Structural Component that is wider than the frame rails) are all aiding Total Roof Structure Integrity. With that said, they'll be much "lighter" than the A-B Occupant Compartment protection, including minimal gussets and cross-bars back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the78outlaw View Post
^^^Not trying to be a dick, but I don't understand why it didn't end up like this in the first place, if your guy is a professional fabricator.
See Post #656:
"For KOH, we're putting in a temporary, non-water proof aluminum patch over the sunroof hole. For future races, I asked Otwell to give us a bit of clearance between the roof and the cage so we could theoretically slide the sunroof structure (2" Thick) back into place or give us room to install a more substantial, water-tight patch in for the sunroof for future races. I know it isn't ideal and take 100% of the blame on it not being right against the roof structure. with that said, it's not too late to still radius them up at this point..."'

AND

See Post #684:
"Again, I take 100% blame on the sunroof thing if we DO have to backtrack slightly. I'm just thankful we can get real time feedback like this - we absolutely have time to make a change and radius the Horizontal Roof bars up across all pillars if the team believes we need to."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xfiend View Post
Can’t put the kids in the back and overland back home if the B-C bars block the doors
We still have to add Horizontals between A-B Pillars at Seat Cushion height. We were initially debating B-C Pillar Horizontals at rear seat cushion height as well, but have moved away from them for now.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 01-13-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Charles4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #727 (permalink)

Member # 53743
Just more of an FYI - The Baja 1000 2010 4runner did roll during the baja 1000. I don't know much for details other than having seen a cell phone video of it being tipped back onto it's wheels at night. So the roll could have been a soft flop - probably was. But it was on it's roof at one point given the sheet metal. You won't see much info on the web about it - but I think the roll over was why they end up bringing it home in 2wd and lost the 1st place position near the end. Still put down a decent time though. And it demonstrates that the OEM body is pretty robust on its own. The rear part of the body beyond the cage was wrinkled, but otherwise undamaged. I'd bet that the body structure is already stronger than the cage on 99% of the open tops you'll be running around with.

Also - just as an additional comment - U4 Basically just wholesale adopted the SCORE cage requirements, but didn't include the detail pictures - probably for copyright reasons. You can use flat plate wedges that extend 3" from each weld joint on the required gusset corners. The engineering behind them is that a weld failure could compromise the cage, not that the tube will bend. So the primary purpose is simply to make sure that all the critical joints remain connected where they need to be. All critical elements should be loaded in tension or compression, as such there should be almost no bending moment on the joints. If you have an ironworker (tool, not person) - the gussets are quick and easy to make.

At least one other competitor in 4600 from a well known professional that was at SEMA has a non-compliant cage (at the time of SEMA show pics) that should be fixed before the race. I have no idea how strict the inspections are. My guess is not very. I don't remember if U4 requires inspection holes for wall thickness like some race classes - I'd keep a few 1/4" bits and a cordless drill in your tool kit just in case.

good luck

Last edited by jetboy; 01-15-2019 at 04:46 PM.
jetboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #728 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Update on yesterday's progress:
Otwell dropped the cage through the floor for finish welding, including on top of the cage.

Robert made good progress on some of the more complex joints:

And we got our T-Shirts made for our core 4602 and Pit Crew teams. I couldn't get sponsorship on this, so we didn't get many extras made. Maybe next year!

We might also have some helping hands from @RustyNailJustin and members of his 4619 team come down to Otwell's shop late next week to help out with the pile of "small stuff" which would be a HUGE help!

Last edited by Charles4x4; 01-15-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #729 (permalink)

Member # 52567
I'll be out there watching this year. Hopefully I'll run into you guys on the lakebed.
VolcomMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #730 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Cage is looking much better - looking forward to seeing how you mount it to the frame. Body getting hard mounted or retaining bushings?

What's your start #?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Special Thanks to:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, West Kern Environmental Consulting,
desertPOS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #731 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertPOS View Post
Cage is looking much better - looking forward to seeing how you mount it to the frame. Body getting hard mounted or retaining bushings?
Me too! Otwell is working on the frame mounts Today or Tomorrow, so I'll have more to share then.

What do others do about Hard Mount vs. Retaining Bushings? Ultra4 Rules only say:

"Roll cages must be securely mounted to the frame, chassis, or body. Roll cage terminal ends must be attached to a frame or body member that will support maximum impact and not shear or allow movement in the cage terminal end. Cab/body-mounted roll cages must sandwich the body structure using a minimum of two .1875” (4.75mm) thick, dissimilar sized, doubler plates, one on each side of the body structure. Roll cage mounting fasteners must be at least .375” diameter S.A.E. Grade 8 (10mm gr 10.9) or
equivalent or better. Sandwich plates, if used, must be oriented only in the horizontal plane. No vertical or other non-horizontal sandwich plate orientations are permitted."

For now we're planning on keeping the stock body mounts too - they don't seem to be in the way any.

Quote:
What's your start #?
There are 6 Qualifying in 4600. The rest of 4600 went into the hat and we got lucky and drew 3rd out of those Not Qualifying. Justin got 5th, so 2 cars behind us.

As you know, all of 4600 is at the back of the pack of course, but there are at least 20-25 4600 cars after us which is nice.

I should know this already, but are you all racing 2019 4600? If so, where did you end up with the 4611? I finally joined the 4600 FB group a few weeks back and it's been somewhat helpful to have everyone talk through the logistics for the week.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 01-16-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #732 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I am a firm believer that if you rigid mount the cage, you rigid mount the body. If you rigid mount the body, I would plate the A pillar to the roll cage as well as the B pillarís.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #733 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
I am a firm believer that if you rigid mount the cage, you rigid mount the body. If you rigid mount the body, I would plate the A pillar to the roll cage as well as the B pillarís.
for the sake of time, probably not worth while.

in the event something major happens, or even just minor rock rubbin' the body will deform into the cage as it best sees fit. even if a major roll and the body comes apart at the seams, it will still be outside the cage.

I'm looking forward to seeing this thing running with a pile of stickers and spray can paint job hopefully you get some good televised coverage

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #734 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Get some! Fawk the haters.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #735 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Hard-mount everything, throw the bushings in the trash, and brace your cage to the body wherever you can

Special Thanks to:
, West Kern Environmental Consulting,
desertPOS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #736 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 32585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
That's more like it, much more like it.
Agreed.

Props for being a good sport and taking criticism constructively. Final push is on. Good luck and drive a smart race.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #737 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Get some! Fawk the haters.
Quote:
Hard-mount everything, throw the bushings in the trash, and brace your cage to the body wherever you can
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiTRD View Post
Agreed. Props for being a good sport and taking criticism constructively. Final push is on. Good luck and drive a smart race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomMan View Post
I'll be out there watching this year. Hopefully I'll run into you guys on the lakebed.
Awesome - thanks everyone!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #738 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Update:
Over the past 2-days, Otwell has been knocking out our Frame Mounts (this took a TON of effort), side protection bars, and vertical windshield bracing. I'll let the pics speak for themselves:

Current Helmet Headroom on 5'11" Person is 4-5":

Frame Mounts using Grade 8 1/2" x 2" Hardware (All 3 on Passenger Side shown):

Interior Sandwich Plates to Frame Mounts:

Side Protection Bars (set at top of Seat Cushion height):

Random B-Pillar Floor Brace to show where seats will likely end up. Note Otwell is making the mounts to tilt the seats back 10deg back for comfort and visibility reasons:

I was able to borrow a GoPro Hero 4 Black from a friend and picked up (2) 128 GB MicroCards so we can hopefully record the full race. This will be mounted using a GoPro 1.5" to 2.5" Roll Cage mount - likely on the Dash Bar:

Finally, I finished sync'ing our Dual XGPS160 to the iPad Pro, downloaded LeadNav Software, and purchased the LeadNav Pro Pack Annual subscription. For navigation, I really can't do anything else till the Course Maps are released on Friday 2/1 at 8pm PT from PCI Race Radios. We plan to start pre-running on Saturday 2/2.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #739 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Our team is excited to announce another sponsor: Pro Eagle Jacks. We'll be running their 2 Ton "The Beast" Big Wheel Jack and Bed Mount on the car at KOH.

The Beast:

Bed/Floor Mount:

After speaking with Hobie about this a few weeks back, we both felt a Pro Eagle was the right choice for KOH. It does weight a bit more, but is much safer, faster, and more compact than alternative Scissor, Bottle, or Hi-Lift Jack options.

Let's hope we don't have to use it during the race!

My Co-Driver for EMC, Matt Tatum is a Professional Firefighter and Paramedic. He handled our First Aid Kit - the bag is from Rago Fabrication:

Last edited by Charles4x4; 01-17-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #740 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Shot Update on Yesterday's Progress:
The A-Team as there yesterday working on the 4Runner. Matt with RockSolidToys, Wyatt with RockSolidToys, BigMike with Marlin Crawler, and Robert with Otwell Welding and Fabrication.

Robert Otwell doing what he does best:

Artec Jaz Pro Sport Fuel Cell Mount being integrated:

Fuel Cell Test Fitting:

I'll be working on the final fuel cell hook-up next week along with some Aeromotive Phantom enhancements. Per a call with JT this morning, I need to add a ball valve on the Supply line. I ordered one that will be there on Mon.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 01-18-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #741 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Update:

Starting Monday, I will have less and less time to update this build thread since I'll finally be on site in CA helping the team. I know not all of you like Facebook or Instagram, but it much simply more efficient for me to post quick pictures there while we are in the final stretch crunch of the build. So, if you can, follow us on FB/IG to stay up to date.

Also, these build threads will likely lag from now until race day, so don't panic if you don't see regular updates. We'll be working hard and will be on the start line on Wed Feb 6th!

Update on Otwell's Work:

Here's where we decided the spare will go for KOH:

Note that we test fit a ton of potential locations in both the Cargo and Passenger area, but ultimately decided this is the best spot for weight, COG, and visibility reasons.

Fuel Firewall per Ultra4 Rules is Done except for metallic tape we'll apply to perimeter:

And here is the Top Half of the B-Pillar Triangulation. I spoke with Otwell tonight and we decided to get rid of the middle vertical brace - it was overkill, weight, and hurt visibility/accessibility. So it'll just be an X when the Bottom Half is done:
Old 01-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #742 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Continued from above...

Update on RockSolidToys Work:
The team has been crushing it the past few weeks. Matt and Wyatt put in 2-days last week and 3-days this week. Wyatt brought the Full RST Team out today to stay on schedule.

Per the posts above, last week they stripped the rear end and pull the Toyota T-Case. Then they started working on the Atlas II.

Atlas II Shifter positioning:

If you look closely through the cage bars, you can see the Shifter Base they fabricated:

Today the Dynatrac ProRock 60 finally got some attention - it's a beast!

Here is a "KOH Proof" reinforced version of RockSolidToys Rear 4-Link brackets:

Upper and Lower Frame Mounts are Done:

Dynatrac ProRock 60 is Slid into Place and you can also see the Atlas II in position in this pic:

Lower Axle Mounts are Done:

Action shot of RockSolidToys and Otwell doing what they do best:

We also got to check out the Icon 2.5" Rear Shocks (12" Travel) with RR and CDCV (on the fly tuning). They are impressive!

The team is taking off tomorrow, but we'll be hitting it hard on Monday and RST is back at Otwell's on Wednesday.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #743 (permalink)

Member # 130270
If you do not make it, I want money in return for my read time in this thread. But, I have to say, by the time I got to this page, things are looking way better for the rig and you than in the beginning. No matter what, you have a pretty cool rig to hammer on. I hope you do better than anyone here, including yourself, expects. Everyone loves an underdog.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #744 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMan0784 View Post
If you do not make it, I want money in return for my read time in this thread. But, I have to say, by the time I got to this page, things are looking way better for the rig and you than in the beginning. No matter what, you have a pretty cool rig to hammer on. I hope you do better than anyone here, including yourself, expects. Everyone loves an underdog.
I agree with this. I don't think you are fully aware of what you are getting into but I admire what you are doing. I will definitely be looking for you out there.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 PM   #745 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyMan0784 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar7 View Post
I agree with this. I don't think you are fully aware of what you are getting into but I admire what you are doing. I will definitely be looking for you out there.
See you all out there!
Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #746 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quick No-Pictures Update:
- Otwell finished the cage on Mon including all gussets and triangulation. Pics on FB/IG
- After my flight got in and I drove over from LAX, Otwell and I spent all of Monday night inventorying all the parts and To-Do's left on the car.

- Today I finished gutting the final components of the 4Runner (Doors, Glass, Random wiring, etc).

- Otwell got the Passenger Seat completely done - it's in position, mounted to the frame, harnesses done, etc.

- Otwell is 50% done filling in the sunroof and finished a quick Air Pumper mount.

- I finished also making all Aeromotive upgrades to our fuel cell including their new Apex siphon system to ensure no fuel starvation during the race.

- I also got the PowerTank filled and picked up all the random parts we will need from the hardware store (hose clamps, grade 8 hardware, light blue paint for number plates) etc.)

Tomorrow RockSolidToys and Otwell are both in the shop working on final fabrication and I'm working on more random stuff.

I admit that I was exhausted from the trip and time zone change today and simply forgot to take a bunch of pictures today. I'll try to do better tomorrow.

I wake up early to pick up all our spare Tires/Wheels - they have been at one of Marlin and BigMike's friends houses for a few months now.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 01-22-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #747 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Please keep updating this thread. Lots of us don't have instagay or fb and would like updates
Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 PM   #748 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Please keep updating this thread. Lots of us don't have instagay or fb and would like updates

This ^^^
For emphasis!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 08:04 AM   #749 (permalink)

Member # 53743
I know you probably don't have time right know, but if you get some breathing room it might be good for sponsors to have a quick recap thread over on toyota-4runner.org. Mostly because it's a lot more active forum. It's a cool project and worth sharing.

Last edited by jetboy; 01-24-2019 at 11:50 AM.
jetboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #750 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
I know you probably don't have time right know, but if you get some breathing room it might be good for sponsors to have a quick recap thread over on toyota-4runner.org. Mostly because it's a lot more active forum. It's a cool project and worth sharing.
We already have a build thread there:
Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in