Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread - Page 37 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2019, 08:48 AM   #901 (permalink)

Member # 726945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
The guy pounded social media and was universally positive about everything, including his sponsors. If I was a sponsor I would be as happy or happier with this outcome as I would be with a guy that didnít put the effort into marketing but finished the race.

I ordered parts from Rocksolidtoys because I saw them in one of his posts, looked at their site and realized I needed something they make.
Well said.
Coverage is key, look at how busy this build thread has been and he's been active on other platforms too. Glory shots and being named in the top 5 new builds may not seem like much of a result to us bunch of negative pricks on here but glossy shit like that gets his sponsors exposure and as a sponsor people seeing your name mentioned again and again is all that really matters.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #902 (permalink)

Member # 858714
So basically it’s the Kardashian method for building a rig
Murder Yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #903 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Yota View Post
So basically itís the Kardashian method for building a rig
Yes

Old 02-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #904 (permalink)

Member # 858714
So far the results have been the same
Old 02-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #905 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Kardashians are mega millionaires, everybody loves them and buys all their shit. I'd call that a win.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #906 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
So basically itís the Kardashian method for building a rig
No, it's how to properly market your team; from a business perspective. Not all sponsors are chasing a "win" with their contributions. I don't think that this man offered any sponsor an opportunity at a "win." He certainly offered them positive exposure and impressions, which he delivered.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #907 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
No, it's how to properly market your team; from a business perspective. Not all sponsors are chasing a "win" with their contributions. I don't think that this man offered any sponsor an opportunity at a "win." He certainly offered them positive exposure and impressions, which he delivered.
Yup, and if current trends continue with mid-season updates and what not as the build progresses, it will only grow into KOH 2020 so exposure is going to continue. it isn't a one year deal

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #908 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4x4 View Post
R
Here's what I've learned:

We set out on this journey with 3 simple goals:
1) Have an amazing adventure - Check
2) Pass Ultra4 4600 Tech and Launch off the starting line at KOH EMC - Check
3) Finish KOH EMC - NOT Yet!

2/3 goals are now met. The race course for KOH EMC 2019 was setup really well for our car. A ton of desert with the hardest rock trails saved for the end. And no Backdoor! Let's hope 2020 is as kind to our type of build!

In order to meet Goal #3 in 2020, we need to make a few adjustments including:
1) Reinforce Front Suspension and Gain Downtravel: The protype performed extremely well given it's the only one in existence. Clearly we need to beef up our Steering to Spindle connection of course, Modify our Spindle for more Down Travel (it hits our coilover), and Beef up our Lower A-Arm to Spindle connection (where we bent the Lower A-Arm). Then reset Limit Straps and Air Bumps. We are at 21deg on our RCVs and they can take up to 28deg with the changes above. We can gain another 3-4" of Downtravel in the front here.
2) Gain Rear Suspension Uptravel: Bend some new upper links around our crossmember in the rear to gain another 3-4" of Uptravel. Then reset Limit Straps and Air Bumps. In reality, the Front Suspension performs so well that it outperforms the rear suspension today. These changes will level travel Front to Rear.
3) Improve Visibility: Cut out and lower our dash bar and cut out and raise our windshield bar to gain additional clearance. We simply cannot see as well as we need to for KOH level racing.
4) Shed Weight: Find ways to cut a few hundred pounds withnout compromising the vision of this build. Keeping the look/feel of a 4Runner while also allowing it to perform at KOH level.
5) Gain Experience: Find ways to get more quality seat time before KOH 2020.
You were warned on all those issues. #4 should be your first priority, weight is the enemy of performance any engineer knows that, plus it's harder on parts, any engineer knows that.

The visibility was compromised like a lot of things in this build because of time and some unrealistic expectations of what this vehicle was going to be used for. Is it a race car or an expo vehicle? The two are pretty much exclusive to each other.

You were also warned about the time for tuning and working out bugs.

And finally you need seat time in that rig during the off season, you haven't even been on all the terrain Johnson Valley offers.

Oh and good call on not running 4400. That front end was repairable, but the big race would have crushed that car.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #909 (permalink)

Member # 858714
I hate the Kardashian’s and I have never bought any of their shit.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #910 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
I hate the Kardashianís and I have never bought any of their shit.
Well God bless you.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #911 (permalink)

Member # 120174
I'll say when following the build it did read strongly of I want free parts for MY 4runner for use after the race and sounded way too commercial once sponsors gained interest. I respect the OP for staying positive while heavy hitters on the forum take their best swings for no good reason other than an "I told ya so..". I think he got the hint that the steering was under engineered when he was staring at the ripped mount in the middle of the desert with seconds ticking off the clock. If you want to keep the experienced guys interested its best to talk tech and spare the "Iconic" shots AKA think about your audience on a given media platform.

For example Justin is a very personable guy, honest and will be positive or negative when the situation calls for it. Learn the same things from him for forums as you did with pre-running on the lake bed. A good sponsor should stand behind you if you need to stand up for yourself.

Credit where credit is due, I liked the build idea, disliked the presentation of it but respect that you(and team) finished it, passed tech and raced. Plenty of others DNF'd and won't have to bear this treatment no matter how ill fated their attempts were.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #912 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
The guy pounded social media and was universally positive about everything, including his sponsors. If I was a sponsor I would be as happy or happier with this outcome as I would be with a guy that didnít put the effort into marketing but finished the race.

I ordered parts from Rocksolidtoys because I saw them in one of his posts, looked at their site and realized I needed something they make.
Awesome comment - thank you for supporting our sponsors! I was on the phone with Wyatt just yesterday about some of our enhancements. You won't find anyone better in the industry!
Charles4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #913 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
You were warned on all those issues. #4 should be your first priority, weight is the enemy of performance any engineer knows that, plus it's harder on parts, any engineer knows that.

The visibility was compromised like a lot of things in this build because of time.

You were also warned about the time for tuning and working out bugs.

And finally you need seat time in that rig during the off season, you haven't even been on all the terrain Johnson Valley offers.

Oh and good call on not running 4400. That front end was repairable, but the big race would have crushed that car.
I agree with all of this. We did the best we could and certainly have room for improvement in 2020 (and possibly sooner)! My only rule is we cannot violate the original vision behind the build - have a Ultra4 car that does well in the races that everyone can actually relate to (unlike a buggy).

Beyond that, our focus is shifting to improvements and anything goes within those guardrails!

Last edited by Charles4x4; 02-19-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #914 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
Yup, and if current trends continue with mid-season updates and what not as the build progresses, it will only grow into KOH 2020 so exposure is going to continue. it isn't a one year deal
By the way, I'm rethinking my stance on not running Ultra4 interim races. East Coast opener is April 12th at AOP, which is only 2-hrs from me! Not sure we can get the front end fixed in time, but I'm working with BigMike on that and Wyatt also has some ideas for the rear. IF we can...we will.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by Charles4x4; 02-19-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #915 (permalink)

Member # 3007
A month and a half to fix that??
Bones is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #916 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
That was my thought, that is about half the time it took for the build up to this point...

Aaron Z
Old 02-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #917 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:
remember its marlins prototype

i would imagine they'll do some design tweaks and send him an all new setup

obviously adding reinforcements to the steering mount but also reviewing the overall performance and durability

or he needs time to build a rack for the roof top tent
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #918 (permalink)

Member # 40301
Just for fun you should show up to every race now with a roof top tent on top of the 4runner. Or something that looks like one. Maybe even build something that you could leave on for the race. Its the Everyman Overland 4runner.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #919 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
However long it takes Marlin to redesign it and get it back to him. He shouldnít just fix it himself.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2019, 12:43 PM   #920 (permalink)

Member # 120174
Quote:
By the way, I'm rethinking my stance on not running Ultra4 interim races. East Coast opener is April 12th at AOP, which is only 2-hrs from me! Not sure we can get the front end fixed in time, but I'm working with BigMike on that and Wyatt also has some ideas for the rear. IF we can...we will.

Stay tuned!
Definitely would like to see this in an East Coast race, I would be more apt to go watch the AOP race if this was in it.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #921 (permalink)

Member # 156657
That is way to long to fix that! Carfully cut off, redo with some 3/8" and box /gusset that thing up! Get your light duty tape measure out and see if that lower control arm is torqued . Measure the drivers side to and compare . Given beef and width of control arms I would be afraid that the frame is going to tweak in the vin# area. And the upper control arm/ strut tower looks like it could twist as well . If you look at a spindle from the 86-94 trucks , the the tie rod hooked to a bolt on cast peice. If a knuckle redesign was to take place maybe incorporate this . Easy to change and fast, and would be the weak link hard hit shock absorber for a tire hit. And probably a fawked ton of them from all the sas.
cryptic toy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #922 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I will say I actually really like that kit that Marlin made. With some design tweaks it could be really neat. I do have to wonder why Marlin spend so much time creating new products when their current products are never in stock
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #923 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
I hate the Kardashianís and I have never bought any of their shit.
If you need to clarify that then you may be on the wrong site.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #924 (permalink)

Member # 111822
Quote:

Stay tuned!
You should make the trip up to AOP for the first race. Preferably with the 4 runner to race, but if not, to at least check out the park and watch the racing.

Plus if you decide to race, that may help push up Marlin's deadline for tweaking the front end.

Last edited by ridered3; 02-20-2019 at 02:59 PM.
ridered3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #925 (permalink)

Member # 166307
And another poster lost in early gen forum..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in