Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread - Page 41 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #1001 (permalink)

Member # 188882
is marlin taking the suspension back again?

(big mike more specifically)

if not it will be cool to see this run some of the regional events and for you to actually build up some seat time in it!
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #1002 (permalink)

Member # 4211
We’re driving back as we speak but I wanted to send out a quick note. We didn’t finish but would have if we had more time. We worked hard and relentlessly the past month and did end up putting over 125 miles of hard prerunning on the car. We broke a ton of stuff after each prerunning seasion that we had to fix between sessions. When it finally stopped breaking and ran strong for 30+ miles on course, we said it was good and quit pretunning. Some of the pre-race stuff was epic - running through hammetown with Marlin himself leading the charge on repairs, borrowing tools from Jason Scherrer, getting help from GenRight, Fox, GBR, using BFG’s press, having Don Brennon help us fix issues late into the night, having RCV overnight parts from Illinois, etc. The support we received from everyone was out of this world - we are truly all in against the course and it was so great to see everyone pitching in to help anyone competing.

The race was awesome. We had zero mechanicals, zero body damage, only winched once (probably didn’t need to but thought it would save us time), and got a Top 10 in 4600 class when they pulled us off the course at RM 126 despite us having 40-mins left of run time.

The 4runner did great in the desert - even better than we expected - but really surprised us in the rocks over and over, walking past solid axle cars stuck left and right. The most epic was when a 4500 car was stuck in the line we wanted on Jackhammer and their co-driver said “I can spot you down the 4400 line but really don’t think you will make it.” A few minutes later his jaw was on the ground as maneuvered through an impossible line with his spotting help without any damage and only having to back up once. Having the same clearance as 40s on a solid axle with our IFS in 35s really paid off and our gearing, v8, Atlas, ARBs , axles, driveshafts, etc all worked flawlessly together.

Our pit crew did amazing and Justin recorded an other Top 5 finish!

The only issue we had all day was when we took the wrong line on a bypass (4400 level route iMO) that wasn’t marked well (markers fell down) and drilled our drivers front on a big ledge and then had to baby it a little more after a few creative pit fixes. Without that I think a finish was certainly within our grasp.

I could tell stories for days, but we’re still worn out from the 9-hr marathon race and have been driving for over 20-hrs toward Homs at this point.

I’ll be shipping RCLT v3.0 to Marlin next week for R&D purposes and then we’ll eventually run their final version of the HD kit with a few final tweaks Mike wants to make after inspecting the car after the race in Hammertown.

There are some pics on FB and IG, but more should start coming in soon after people get out of Hammertown. We had drones, helicopters, and camera crews on us for a good bit of the 9-hrs we were on course so they better have gotten a lot of content! Wish Ultra4 gave us more press but we’re thankful for the coverage we got. Thanks for your support - we had fans all over the course who really helped push us on. We heard “Team Toyota” over and over!

Last edited by Charles4x4; 02-07-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Charles4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2020, 06:04 PM   #1003 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
nice yeah they had you on the live feed for a good bit, hopefully you are able to make better time next year, should be able to finish

top 10 is a huge jump from last year!

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #1004 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
nice :-) yeah they had you on the live feed for a good bit, hopefully you are able to make better time next year, should be able to finish :-)

top 10 is a huge jump from last year!
Thanks. It was awesome to see the 4Runner cruising through some of the big name trails like Aftershock, Fissure, Jackhammer, Sledgehammer, Not Her Problem, Guacamole, and Cougar Buttes. And showing up a ton of 4500, 4800, and 4600 Jeeps in the process! It was epic. If we didn’t have to slow up a bit on lap 2 after our hard drivers side hit and had a bit more time, we absolutely would have finished. But we’re actually really happy with our results.

Haven’t watched the recording of the live feed, but saw a few clips where it looks like we’re poking through flat terrain when actually we’re going straight up a steep loose rocky trail in low range - o well, I guess footage always underestimates what it’s really like out there. We pushed the car whenever we could and knew the clock was ticking. We passed a ton of cars (4500, 4800, and 4600) all day and only got passed by a handful of 4600 cars that ended up in the Top 5 in class early in the race.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 02-07-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Charles4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #1005 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
yeah, i'm sure it was steeper in person than on camera, but it wasn't THAT steep

and that is why you got so much grief earlier on concerning your gearing. kind of an odd spot, but hell you should be able to go faster than that even in low range.

I'm excited for you for next year, I hope marlin is able to get you suspension back to you in time to get some other courses in

Old 02-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #1006 (permalink)

Member # 858714
Props to you and your team for completing more of the course than last year. That being said, bragging about all the people you "showed up" and blaming your on track mishap on the course being poorly marked (4400 line?) isn't making your car faster or more capable of finishing the race IMO. and lets face it you were going hella slow in that footage of you going up that "hill". Maybe it was steeper than it looked but it was obvious that a solid axle cookie cutter yota rock crawler could have run a faster pace than that.
Murder Yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #1007 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Yota View Post
and lets face it you were going hella slow in that footage of you going up that "hill". Maybe it was steeper than it looked but it was obvious that a solid axle cookie cutter yota rock crawler could have run a faster pace than that.
if you aren't working the shocks, you are going too slow. moral of the story.

that is what they are made for, use 'em hopefully you are able to get the suspension back under it and make some more races this year

Old 02-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #1008 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Yota View Post
Props to you and your team for completing more of the course than last year. That being said, bragging about all the people you "showed up" and blaming your on track mishap on the course being poorly marked (4400 line?) isn't making your car faster or more capable of finishing the race IMO. and lets face it you were going hella slow in that footage of you going up that "hill". Maybe it was steeper than it looked but it was obvious that a solid axle cookie cutter yota rock crawler could have run a faster pace than that.
Got video?

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #1009 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Got video?
no idea how to snag a section of the live feed, but if you are feeling froggy, pop up the live feed after they do the first couple interviews from the ECM winners when they started showing more of the 4600 cars. it got some pretty good camera time

edit: at 3:05 pm i posted in the KOH EMC 2020 thread that he appeared to be going slow, so check the live feed around that time +/- 5 or 10 minutes due to delay

Last edited by Provience; 02-12-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:54 PM   #1010 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
http://youtu.be/JE51NznzcYo?t=29190

if embed will work, from the live stream 08:06:30. no hate on that, working through some stuff using the spotter. until about 08:11:43

http://youtu.be/JE51NznzcYo?t=25947

and here is the what I was looking for. Hour 07:12:27 until 07:14:59

yes, it is a hill, but still that seems like the terrain that 4600 as a class should really be making time on

Last edited by Provience; 02-12-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:12 PM   #1011 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 24238
if that's where I think it is, pace there may be affected by nerves.

Need more seat time, and more time on those high trails.

#5, Legends #571, UTV codog #901
koh19 crew: 4632
koh18 codog: 901, 4816 - crew: 928, 209, 4610
Mint17 pit crew: 4454, 946, 8199
koh16 codog: 2700 - crew: 572, 928, 4610
koh15 crew: 572

|
|
|
Mr. Mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #1012 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mindless View Post
if that's where I think it is, pace there may be affected by nerves.

Need more seat time, and more time on those high trails.
absolutely, looked the car could have taken a much harder charge, and i'm sure that is the case for much of the course. hence why I really hope @BigMike is able to get the front end back into play rather quickly so more action throughout the year

Old 02-13-2020, 08:53 AM   #1013 (permalink)

Member # 140628
The footage I saw was excruciatingly slow. That was clearly not a race pace, more like an overlanding pace. You're either in it to win it or you're not. Of course nothing broke, it was being babied the whole time. I saw how slow that grey cherocar was going and he caught up to him. Unless he picks up the pace finishing is out of the question. Finishing 10th is the same as a DNF. Call it tough love.
That being said he did make it to the starting line and drove it on the trailer at the end of the day. More than most can say.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #1014 (permalink)

Member # 726234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
http://youtu.be/JE51NznzcYo?t=25947

and here is the what I was looking for. Hour 07:12:27 until 07:14:59

yes, it is a hill, but still that seems like the terrain that 4600 as a class should really be making time on
Hey there's me standing around like a zombie

Charles you got to pick up the pace bro, Amber's samurai nearly caught up to you and she spent the entire 114 miles of desert going at a turtle pace. Glad the 4Runner got some seat time and actually saw the course, hope it sees more races this year and isn't boxed up until January 1st again
snivilous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #1015 (permalink)

Member # 35904
Amber's little Sami was amazing.
It's basically bone stock, carburated, stock OEM leafs.

I was blessed to meet her family early whist they pre ran, and I tested comms back to HT.

Great to see mini trucks, Sami's and IFS yoga's all in the same race.
Elvis-n-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2020, 06:41 AM   #1016 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Maybe when big mike is done fucking with gay IFS lifts they can go back to selling adapters.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #1017 (permalink)

Member # 175069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisin View Post
Maybe when big mike is done fucking with gay IFS lifts they can go back to selling adapters.
thats funny right there
mightymouse84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in