Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #126 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
An example of a rear “hatch”. Only the ring around the window was kept.
Attached Images

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4x4 View Post
4600 Class rules above (and pasted above again)

KOH Rules for this part of the build:
8.2.11: Stock doors may be modified to create half-doors and/or may also be replaced with tubular doors. Doors must open and close, bolted on panels are not allowed.
8.3.2 - 3:Stock doors may be modified to create half-doors and/or may also be replaced with tubular doors. Doors must open and close, bolted on panels are not allowed.
Sounds like tube doors would have solved all this nonsense. Sell your 4 "good stock doors" and rear hatch to recoup that expense. "Keep the dust down"....Come awn! Is he going to be rocking the AC as well. Hate to get too hot in the race suit.

This is the most overthought thread on the internet right now I swear.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Couple of examples....
Yeah, it's actually odd. A ton of 4600 rigs put tubing and latches in when the class was first announced. But lately, I've seen the same rigs adding a tailgate or hatch back on. Maybe for rules changes - maybe to keep the dust down - maybe for sponsor "looks".

I specifically recall a 1st gen removing the tube and latches the 3rd or so year of 4600 and putting a stock tailgate back on per Tech request I think... Maybe some of them will chime in.

In last year's race, I felt like the majority of 4600 rigs had a stock looking tailgate or rear hatch, but I may be wrong.

EDIT:
Found it: VAROKCRWLR - Jan 10, 2015 - "Had to modify the rear bumper. Apparently when the rule book says all doors must operate...this includes a working tailgate....so off with the old and on with the new:"

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...l#post29828825

Thread:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...rebuild-2.html

Last edited by Charles4x4; 07-11-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Charles4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #129 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Sounds like you need to ask whoever is in charge of tech these days.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #130 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Rare for pirate lately, but there's actually some good discussions in this thread.

As for the gear choice. Like has already been stated. KOH is a bunch sprints in the desert. Way to many guys focus on swinging dick top speed numbers. I've done ok at KOH. I think the top speed I've ever seen was 72mph, this year we never saw over 56mph.

A lot of guys run spools up front. But most of the fast guys in the desert are running open in the desert with selectable lockers. Will handle better, steer better in the rocks and easier on parts.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
Rare for pirate lately, but there's actually some good discussions in this thread.

As for the gear choice. Like has already been stated. KOH is a bunch sprints in the desert. Way to many guys focus on swinging dick top speed numbers. I've done ok at KOH. I think the top speed I've ever seen was 72mph, this year we never saw over 56mph.

A lot of guys run spools up front. But most of the fast guys in the desert are running open in the desert with selectable lockers. Will handle better, steer better in the rocks and easier on parts.
Solid advice - thank you! We're definitely doing selectable ARB in the front. Still waiting to see if we can change our 4.56 to 4.88 or higher - we ordered the RJ60 a few weeks ago, but I think we're going to end up with 4.88s.

I thought my team had some good advice when I spoke with them about the gears last week:

In summary:
- We can go to a 4.88s, but we wouldn't go any lower than that.
- Guys running 5.38s have 1 ton axle under their light weight buggies, not IFS diffs sitting under an SUV.
- Running in 4600 class is a ballet of compromises. We don't have the luxury of throwing the biggest and strongest at this so we have to play it smart with our compromises.
- Running anything bigger than 4.88 and we think we'll be looking at replacing the front diff a number of times during the race.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #132 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Sounds like tube doors would have solved all this nonsense. Sell your 4 "good stock doors" and rear hatch to recoup that expense. "Keep the dust down"....Come awn! Is he going to be rocking the AC as well. Hate to get too hot in the race suit.

This is the most overthought thread on the internet right now I swear.
wasn't keeping A/C one of the first things stated on page 1?

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

Last edited by Provience; 07-11-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2018, 04:31 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Doors are locked in, but I'm going to have to do something creative for the rear hatch. Really wish I could find a way to take a hatch or tailgate and get it to fit somehow.

Salvage hatches are $$$.
You're stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. It has to function like the stock piece in "spirit". I hope you gut and cut all the salvage doors in half.

There was a few times around hammertown where I couldnt see my hand in front of my face due to dust. Open desert running balls out (you wont have the suspension to hit high speeds like U4) at 50mph there wont be a dust problem.

My quick search didnt turn up. But which company build a newer gen 4runner just to prove the IFS can handle 35s? RCV? FROR?

Last edited by Black Sheep; 07-11-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #134 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Front Range Offroad built a 3rd gen using an 8" front diff from a newer (I don't know much about anything, so year range is for somebody who cares to look it up) toyota and it seems to be working well on 37" tires

RCV/Tech Tim was running 35"s for a long time and posting about it on here for a while. Several others have also made decent compromise setups, but I don't know that there has been a Toyota IFS finisher at KOH

Old 07-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
- Running anything bigger than 4.88 and we think we'll be looking at replacing the front diff a number of times during the race.
You really think you would be replacing a diff during a race? Multiple times? There is a time limit on crossing the finish line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
Front Range Offroad built a 3rd gen using an 8" front diff from a newer (I don't know much about anything, so year range is for somebody who cares to look it up) toyota and it seems to be working well on 37" tires
I would love to see any details about this (especially if it's a 3rd gen). Sounds cool as hell
Old 07-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #136 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
You really think you would be replacing a diff during a race? Multiple times? There is a time limit on crossing the finish line

I would love to see any details about this (especially if it's a 3rd gen). Sounds cool as hell
https://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/

This 1996 Toyota 4Runner Proves IFS Doesn’t Have to Be Weak

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...tions-now.html

post #27. it is a really nice setup, saw it out there at the first trail hero, hopefully it is out there again this year. I would love to do this to my wifes car it would beat the hell out of a solid axle for a 99% street rig, saving my pennies now so it will probably be a decade and fully fleshed out design by the time I can get to it

edit: so FROR is using "03 and up" front end parts, this thread being about an 06 should match and be buildable that way. like I said, I've never paid much attention to the newer stuff.

Last edited by Provience; 07-12-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Thanks, that is awesome!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #138 (permalink)

Member # 45798
Quote:
Keep the motivational posts coming!
I'm not meaning to be a dick about it, just pointing out what we're all seeing here.

Maybe you and your team are getting ready to start cutting, gutting, fabbing, and making this an actual race car.

All we're seeing are minor bolt-on mods and a reluctance to really tear into the car. I truly hope you prove us wrong.
yotota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #139 (permalink)
Mr. Lucky

Member # 84122
Is this fantasy build ever going to start?
Old 07-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Agreed - Exactly what we're trying to avoid.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
https://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/

This 1996 Toyota 4Runner Proves IFS Doesn’t Have to Be Weak

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...tions-now.html

post #27. it is a really nice setup, saw it out there at the first trail hero, hopefully it is out there again this year. I would love to do this to my wifes car it would beat the hell out of a solid axle for a 99% street rig, saving my pennies now so it will probably be a decade and fully fleshed out design by the time I can get to it

edit: so FROR is using "03 and up" front end parts, this thread being about an 06 should match and be buildable that way. like I said, I've never paid much attention to the newer stuff.
Great compilation of threads! I spoke with Brian about this months ago and it sounds similar to our current plan - but our RCVs will be stronger! Toyota 8", next gen RCVs, ARB. And we'll have ATRAC (unless it becomes a hinderance) to help save the front diff.

If you all see anything different in his setup, let me know. Here's what I got from the article:

"Under the 3/16-inch-thick skidplate, Ellinger replaced the 7 1/2-inch front differential with an 8-inch differential from a later model 4Runner along with a custom intermediate shaft, housing, and mounts. It uses 4.88 gears and an ARB Air Locker with super-strong chromoly RCV axleshafts that are 30-spline throughout (like an upgraded Toyota solid axle) to make the whole thing live, even with 37-inch-tall tires. Tacomas use the same front axle components, and all of these parts are interchangeable."
Old 07-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #142 (permalink)

Member # 3007
You just quoted the article, what would we know that's any different...you talked to him

This thread is like a trainwreck of stupidity I can't stay away from
Old 07-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
You just quoted the article, what would we know that's any different...you talked to him

This thread is like a trainwreck of stupidity I can't stay away from
I spoke with him Months Ago (see post above), long before our plans were laid. At that time, we were aiming for a F9 or a custom Diamond IFS Center, but it didn't work out. We spoke about this 8" setup briefly, but I wonder if others on here know more. If I'm not missing anything, then our current plans are confirmed.

And I cannot help but respond to your comments - I've been biting my tongue for a while now. You have 25K+ posts on Pirate - I hope at least some small percentage of them have been productive. Otherwise, you have wasted a ton of time. Given your comments of this build thread, why don't you just unsubscribe?

Last edited by Charles4x4; 07-17-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotota View Post
I'm not meaning to be a dick about it, just pointing out what we're all seeing here.

Maybe you and your team are getting ready to start cutting, gutting, fabbing, and making this an actual race car.

All we're seeing are minor bolt-on mods and a reluctance to really tear into the car. I truly hope you prove us wrong.
Hey, I get it - patience is the key. And believe me, I am more anxious to tear into it than anyone else on here. I'm about to post a small update below.

Last edited by Charles4x4; 07-17-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:24 AM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 4211
Update:
I've been out of town the past week, but here is a quick update on this build:
1) Our new Warn ZEON Platinum 10-S winch arrived yesterday. It's a thing of beauty and the remote will definitely come in handly for our co-driver at KOH!

2) I knocked out a few small projects, including swapping in a new O2 sensor damaged when we did the Y-Pipe cat delete (this 4.7L V8 is really squeezed in there). The new sensor eliminted the CEL I was getting. I'm still waiting on the URD MAF Calibrator to arrive and will install my AEM gauges before we do final tuning.

3) The Salvage doors arrive on Wed. Then I'll check out the internal bracing and see how much more we want to cut. I'm hoping they are really light in already gutted condition.

4) We are now only down to one sponsor need for tires. I've reached out to BFG, Goodyear, Maxxis, Nitto, Cooper, and Falken. So far Falken and Maxxis have shown strongest interest.

5) I've finalized plans with two additional sponsors. More to come on these in a few weeks.

Finally, the DD should be back from paint by the end of next week at the latest and ready for reassembly. As soon as it is done, the interior tear-down on this one will begin along with the doors and front fenders. Then the transformation will really begin to take shape. Thanks for your patience!

Last edited by Charles4x4; 07-17-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
So far Falken and Maxxis have shown strongest interest.
Do not send them a link to this thread
Old 07-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #147 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
I spoke with him Months Ago (see post above), long before our plans were laid. At that time, we were aiming for a F9 or a custom Diamond IFS Center, but it didn't work out. We spoke about this 8" setup briefly, but I wonder if others on here know more. If I'm not missing anything, then our current plans are confirmed.

And I cannot help but respond to your comments - I've been biting my tongue for a while now. You have 25K+ posts on Pirate - I hope at least some small percentage of them have been productive. Otherwise, you have wasted a ton of time. Given your comments of this build thread, why don't you just unsubscribe?
I only saw his rig in 2016, so your information is more current than mine other than it seems to have been holding up well for the last couple of years of use and abuse

there was a glitch in time and space, i've probably got 25k posts in chit-chat that magically appeared one day post count doesn't equal anything on this board. they'd turn it off, but then the bots would just do more hotlinking

Old 07-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #148 (permalink)
Fab Junky

Member # 147257
Why not break new ground and figure out how to stuff a Tundra 9” front IFS diff in this build, lead not follow. Even better would be the complete Tundra drivetrain, it pretty serious beef. I also want to advise against retaining the ABS and therefore ATRAC. Every Toyota ABS I have dealt with is very sensitive and makes stopping in the dirt dangerous because it kicks in way to early. ATRAC is also worthless if the rotors get wet or muddy. Go find my Tundra build thread and you will see why. I will never rely on fake lockers again, they will fail you when you need them the most. Three wheel drive at Johnson Valley equals more winching than you will ever want in a lifetime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
bark beetle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:

I used to contribute a lot to this site back when people did build threads galore and there was a lot of tech being shared since the aftermarket was A LOT smaller. I have been out of the "hardcore" side of this for well over a decade and prefer my mild wheeler/camping rig. I have been around this hobby for a long long time and built/helped build a few rigs, was on an XRRA/KOH team forever ago as well.

My opinion of what your are attempting here, while admirable, is more keyboard clatter than a build. We are on page 3 now and you have installed an O2 sensor and an exhaust while chasing sponsors and ordering up a winch and some extra doors. There is no chance this will be done in time, let alone competitive, tested and ready to race KOH. Good luck and I hope you prove me wrong. Won't be the fits time.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 129493
-I dig it so build it like you want. Everyone has to learn their own way; for some of us it's the hard way but it's the only way we know. I get it.
-With that said, this a heck of an under taking and sounds like you're going learn a ton of things as result of the build including practicality. You're building a race truck not a dream trail truck. A race truck gets the shit beat out of it unmercifully but still has to get the job done while you can take it easy enough on a trail truck that you have the luxury of trying to maintain something a bit more refined. Don't get me wrong, maintaining a clean-ish race truck is possible but more for a really seasoned guy. Don't take things ridiculously seriously (not saying you are) and remember to have fun with it.
-Most of the guys on this board are full of shit so listen to your gut and those you trust. Good luck with the build.
LowDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in