tundra rear axle - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2931
tundra rear axle

how wide is a tundra rear axle and will it take our 8'' thirds or is it the 8.4's? many thanks, hugs and kisses....
Old 07-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 24837
not sure about width, but it takes the 8.4 thirds with a caged carrier
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2004, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 59
Yep, the so-called 8.4" style 3rd, and I've been told or read somewhere that it is the same width as a T100 axle, which is about 67.75". The e-brake cable is a lower design than on a T100 or early Toy though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2004, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 22837
I measued my T-100 rear and my brother's Tundra rear and they were both 66" WMS
Attached Images

blacktoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2004, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 24577
Red face What are ya a noob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Weldz
how wide is a tundra rear axle and will it take our 8'' thirds or is it the 8.4's? many thanks, hugs and kisses....
Hehe, this is straight from the noob FAQ thread:

Quote:
Toyota Rear Axle Widths:
55" wide, '79-85 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
58" wide, '86-95 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
56" wide, '79-95 2wd Trucks - 5 Lug
60.75" wide, '95.5-up Tacomas/4runners
66.75" wide, '93-98 T100 trucks
Quote:
Toyota 8.25 or 8.4 diff Taco / T-100 / Tundra (30 spline)

Don`t get me wrong, it`s a good question, I just get a kick out of who`s asking it.

Oh yeah. Use the fawking search!

Toughguy

Last edited by Fourplayer; 07-14-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Fourplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2004, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
whats EVEN funnier.. is that what you posted has only 1/2 to do with his questioning about the TUNDRA...sooo go do some more research in the newb forum... newb... how wide is the axle..

Last edited by TatonkaII; 07-14-2004 at 09:42 PM.
TatonkaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2004, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 5431
Send a message via AIM to ROCKPIMP
LOL you got semi schooled by a newb!!!
If you want to rent my truck for a weekend i'll let you do the 4 link and coilovers as payment.
ROCKPIMP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2004, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 24577
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII
whats EVEN funnier.. is that what you posted has only 1/2 to do with his questioning about the TUNDRA...sooo go do some more research in the newb forum... newb... how wide is the axle..
Haha you`re such a loser. You need to edit your post again noob.

The T-100 and the Tundra use the same rear axle. Thus they are the same width. If you don`t believe me then do a fucking search somewhere other than the Pirate BBS and get the fucking answer before you look like an idiot again!

For reference, read this
In case you missed it, you`ve just been schooled !

Oh and ROCKPIMP, I think that was fully schooled no?

Toughguy

P.S.- A noob is not someone with less than a certain amount of posts. A noob is someone who talks out their ass and posts useless dribble that benefits nobody. So I have 78 posts. Woohoo! While you keyboard jockeys are post whoring, I`m in the garage getting a tan or on the trail breaking stuff!
Old 07-15-2004, 01:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21068
Send a message via AIM to Camotoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourplayer
While you keyboard jockeys are post whoring, I`m in the garage getting a tan or on the trail breaking stuff!
Damn, you have issues then.

1. Get off your lazy ass and install a roof
2. Take an anger management class and quit being an asshat and breaking shit on the trails, don't you know it's that kind of behavior that gets trails closed?

Camotoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2004, 06:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 24577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camotoy
Damn, you have issues then.

1. Get off your lazy ass and install a roof
2. Take an anger management class and quit being an asshat and breaking shit on the trails, don't you know it's that kind of behavior that gets trails closed?

You sir, are obviously a noob!

The fact that the above missive had no relative info pertaining to the thread garantees that. But aside from that, you also need to be schooled right about now.

The term "in the garage getting a tan" means somebody is doing some welding and hence his skin pigmentation is changing color from the UV light being emited from the arc.

"On the trail breaking stuff" is slang for wheeling in the harcore trails and not in the pussy areas where you hang out.

Toughguy

P.S.- You do know I`m just shitting ya? (in light of the closures on the Rubicon, that was not a pun)

Last edited by Fourplayer; 07-15-2004 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourplayer
The T-100 and the Tundra use the same rear axle.
How would he know unless he asked?

And for the record, they do NOT use the same axle!

As I said before, the brakes are different. And on the '93-94 axles, everything on the axle is flopped side to side (brake lines, e-brake cable, prop. valve rod mount, etc.).
For that reason, a '93-94 T100 axle would be an easier swap than a later one.

Also, 2wd T100 and Tundra axles are 6-lug and use the same diff, unlike smaller/older 2wd Toys (5-lug and 7.5"). The 2wd T100 ones are spring under, but if you're putting them under a smaller Toy you need to redo the perches anyway. A 2wd axle might be cheaper in the JY.

Last edited by ErikB; 07-15-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 24577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB

As I said before, the brakes are different. And on the '93-94 axles, everything on the axle is flopped side to side (brake lines, e-brake cable, prop. valve rod mount, etc.).

Also, 2wd T100 and Tundra axles are 6-lug and use the same diff, unlike smaller/older 2wd Toys (5-lug and 7.5"). The 2wd T100 ones are spring under, but if you're putting them under a smaller Toy you need to redo the perches anyway. A 2wd axle might be cheaper in the JY.
I realise that Erik but the question pertained to the width. I will admit that the axles are not identical if you will confirm they are the same width. Oh right, you already did that!

Toughguy

Last edited by Fourplayer; 07-15-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 24577
Angry

And holy fucking getting on a guy`s back because he actually did some searching. You`ve all told sombebody to use the search feature to look for the answer before posting a question (and to a lesser extend an answer) and now you fawking hypocrites jump on me for giving BW the answer he wanted AFTER I searched for it myself! Fawk all you lazy rat bastards who just came here to highjack this thread and give me your 2! Well here`s your change back!

EricB and Blacktoy, you both posted helpful information. All I did was go get the facts from the FAQ to make light of the situation AND search another resource for confirmation to what you guys wrote. How do I end up being the bad guy here? You other posers need to get some thicker skin or wear a bib for fawk sakes!

Toughguy

Last edited by Fourplayer; 07-15-2004 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 2931
hey, thanks everyone, especially the noobies!! i thought the tundra was wider than the t100...

heres another question, is the carrier design of the 8.4 third similar to the v6 in that it doesnt lend itself to welding spider gears easily?

ive bent my ifs rear(actually it was slightly caved in on the spring perch) and didnt present issues when i had leaf springs, but now that its linked in the rear, theres nothing but pure traction(no axle wrap to absorb/soften some of the torque) and it is bending worse each wheelin trip...a friend has a tundra rear, i was thinking of buying...

Last edited by Booger Weldz; 07-15-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Booger Weldz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2004, 05:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 59
No, its a 2-pinion carrier, easy to get into to weld.

I don't think the axle housing itself is any stronger though. Its basically identical but wider.

Truss your bent housing and then have someone w/ a jig (like WelderBoy) straighten it afterwards...?
(He'll likely cut the ends off and weld them back on like when building a new axle).
I forget what the cost was going to be. $100?

How/where is yours bending w/ the 4-link?

Old 07-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB
No, its a 2-pinion carrier, easy to get into to weld.

I don't think the axle housing itself is any stronger though. Its basically identical but wider.

Truss your bent housing and then have someone w/ a jig (like WelderBoy) straighten it afterwards...?
(He'll likely cut the ends off and weld them back on like when building a new axle).
I forget what the cost was going to be. $100?

How/where is yours bending w/ the 4-link?
mine was already bent, looks like the previous owner dropped something EXTREMELY heavy into the bed, the wheelwells were caved in flat and the drivers side spring perch was cracked and flattened out the tubing somewhat around it...i think i should just hire WB to put some .375 tubes on it like the AZ people showed a few months ago on a front???
Old 07-15-2004, 07:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 22805
Im not shure about the Tundra carriers, i have never seen one.. I have however welded a T-100 carrier and it has two big windows like the 4cyl carriers.....
Let me tell you my friend if you gonna live this life
It's not good for you to build strife
Robert Neshta Marley ; Cravin choke puppy[/QUOTE][/COLOR][/B]
stomper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2004, 07:20 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 4464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Weldz
the drivers side spring perch was cracked and flattened out the tubing somewhat around it
mine is "flattened" somewhat like what you describe. only on the passenger side. for me, i think it was from having 1000 lbs plus of scuba gear in the back and hauling ass down a washboard road. i was surely sitting on the overloads. i also had the very common crack where the perch meets the axle on the backside. it is a horizontal crack at the weld. i just welded it back up and have not had any troubles. i would like to find a new axle (sans third) to get rid of the flattened one.

1995 T100 - finally done (well, kind of)
1988 4Runner - DD (some days)
2005 Ram 2500 CTD, 4x4, NV5600 - Tow Rig
2013 BMW E92 M3 - track toy
2010 Porsche 911 GT3 - super duper track toy
surlynkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2004, 11:40 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 15811
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid
mine is "flattened" somewhat like what you describe. only on the passenger side. for me, i think it was from having 1000 lbs plus of scuba gear in the back and hauling ass down a washboard road. i was surely sitting on the overloads. i also had the very common crack where the perch meets the axle on the backside. it is a horizontal crack at the weld. i just welded it back up and have not had any troubles. i would like to find a new axle (sans third) to get rid of the flattened one.
mine was cracked as well(leaked gear oil when than side was downhill). i welded it all up, but its tooo late for the housing, that side whel bearing starting to screech and im sure its having a similar effect on the carrier bearings in the third
1972CJ5+1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2004, 04:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 33241
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
not sure about width, but it takes the 8.4 thirds with a caged carrier
Yeah the studs and bolts are considerably larger. Kinda shitty.
408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2004, 07:01 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 4464
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972CJ5+1
mine was cracked as well(leaked gear oil when than side was downhill). i welded it all up, but its tooo late for the housing, that side whel bearing starting to screech and im sure its having a similar effect on the carrier bearings in the third
i caught mine early. i had a friend who lost his third and all due to the leak.

1995 T100 - finally done (well, kind of)
1988 4Runner - DD (some days)
2005 Ram 2500 CTD, 4x4, NV5600 - Tow Rig
2013 BMW E92 M3 - track toy
2010 Porsche 911 GT3 - super duper track toy
surlynkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 655905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB View Post

Bump. I'm hoping you guys can help. I have a 94' Truck - V6 4x4 / 5-speed and want to do the Blazeland IFS. And to better match the new front width I want to get a T100 or Tundra rear axle and then add in an LSD and 4.88's.

What are the best years to hunt for and why?

Secondly, I have new 33 x 12.5's to put on (32.5 x 10.5 actual height and tread) and am using my oem stock 15 x 8 aluminum wheels (6x 5.5 lugs). Do you know if they will fit the T100 / Tundra hubs without issue? I know they are 6 lug too, but are typically 16" or 17" wheels so my main concern is if the drum brakes and brake housings of the T100 / Tundra are significantly larger than my 94' Chalupa.
MudWaspSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in