'97 4Runner on 05+ Dana 60 & 14 Bolt - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 112499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoundoffroad View Post
Thanks man! So here is another picture of the links installed. Let me know if there is anything else of the front suspension you would like to see and I will try to get a picture for you.
Wouldnít mind seeing the rear shackle setup. Are you running the gas tank in the stock location?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MOORETOYX4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOORETOYX4 View Post
Wouldn’t mind seeing the rear shackle setup. Are you running the gas tank in the stock location?
Here is the rear shackles and how I mounted them. I still need to clean up the cab cuts so don't pay any attention that haha

And no I relocated the tank to the rear with an F150 tank. I built a skid to protect it. It only hangs down past the frame about 2".

Last edited by Rockhoundoffroad; 12-11-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Rockhoundoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Just finished up installing the T100 brake booster and the Chevy master cylinder. This should push enough fluid to stop the massive brakes on the 05+ axle and the rear factory calipers. A very simple upgrade!

Old 12-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Iím building a 97 limited very similar. Iíve got slider boxes instead of shackles and I built some 9.5Ē 80 series axles outa bits and pieces... Iíve got the two leaf gm rears currently, lol. Definitely not quite enough. I think Iíll likely shove the tank between a slightly wider frame ending and link it.chopping the Chevies in half and drilling for more center pin holes (1/4 elliptical leafs in proper retro 1999 manner. Iíve got a set of new unused BBCShocks of that vintage to really make a historical artifact of old school suspension tomfoolery.

I too looked into cantilever, and while I had made some props and pieces to mock itvup and even a goofy bell crank on wood and drawer slide des to mimic the shock and push rod... to figure out what would be ideal it never pans out to a big benefit as just a shock. Except for potential spray from tge front tire itís likey what youíve done is the best...if a coilover, tgen I start rationalizing the cantilever for many reasons, but as a shock only it had a bit of progression to bump, but mostly it just looked cool.

I have 14Ē tall storage drawers and 12Ē subs in back..I kinda lost track of weight(mdf) But that also become a place to sleep as a full size (54ish) was and [email protected] long. So I was really set on the cantilever keeping the shocks out of that area. I ended up making a new sub enclosure to get some space...Iíll probably build a fuel cell and steal all the flanges from the factory tank or actually use the factory tank (widening the rear frame about its own thickness on each side)so itís simple and the gage resembles what it did... I did the Ford tank once before on a second gen. Nothing wrong with that... its a proven solution.

Anyway, your build looked cool(and relatively familiar as the same truck in white/silver) and links/ Chevies..) so I popped in to say it looks great and Iím sure Iíll stealan idea or five🤓🤟🏻 From it as you progress. Iíll go ahead gibecthat hats off thing to your shock box topper. Well done sir. Bddliner, sound Dampner or foam pad and carpet... outta turn out really good!
Old 12-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 18614
I really dig this thing, nice work so far keep rolling with it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 72479
Looks good! Daily on tons, lol!
Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #32 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
So I have been working hard to get all the little junk buttoned up on the 4Runner. I was able to get it all together and take it for its first drive around. There were just a few small things I needed to tweak. I swapped the upper coil so the coils are 250 over 250 rather then the 200 over 250 I had. Now she sits perfect and rides very smoothly. I will also need to get the tires re-balanced. Some of the weights had fallen off from being moved around the shop so much.
Now I have to finish the front bumper, build a rear, rock sliders, blinkers and finish the other shock enclosure and apply sound dampener. Also mount and plumb the ARB compressor. i am also just waiting on the front driveline to be built.

This is ride height

This is full droop. Honestly its a lot more than I expected out of the 10" coilovers!

I braces the bumpstops and also added some more strength to the frame.

Here is the rear driveline. 1410 to Toyota CV!

Shot of her outside next to my GMC.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #33 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 45812
Send a message via AIM to ]4RunnerKid[ Send a message via MSN to ]4RunnerKid[ Send a message via Yahoo to ]4RunnerKid[
that stance tho

Party Wagon
locked, geared, caged, topless, dents

2019 Tundra

]4RunnerKid[ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 67823
My wife wants an SUV. I want a capable DD wheeler. I'm gonna show her that picture so she can crush that dream before I become too invested in it
Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 165420
This thing is soooo rad! You keeping it low like that?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #36 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier46 View Post
This thing is soooo rad! You keeping it low like that?
Thanks man! Yep, it will stay low like it is. The frame height is going to stay at 21".
Old 01-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #37 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Quote:
Originally Posted by squamch View Post
My wife wants an SUV. I want a capable DD wheeler. I'm gonna show her that picture so she can crush that dream before I become too invested in it
Haha! What you gotta do is say that you are building it for her. That's what I did and this was the final outcome!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #38 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Thank you for letting me come drool all over it last week after hours. Much appreciated, and absolutely stellar work you do
Old 02-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #39 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
It has been a little bit since I gave an update on the 4Runner. We have been real busy at the shop and I have not been able to do a whole lot. But I was able to get the front driveline in and do a little playing with it.
The front driveline is nice and tucked up. I don't think we will have to worry about hitting it much.

She flexes really well and does not rub the fenders! Going up this little steep muddy hill it did not spin a tire. I am very pleased with how it preforms.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #40 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Here is a cool shot of another 4runner we worked on at the shop rght next to ours. The customers 4Runner had a 2.5" lift with 32" tires. His frame height was 20" and our frame height is at 21" on 37s. So in reality the 4runner dropped/is the same in height from the original set uo we had on it with the 2.5" lift and 34s!

Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 AM   #41 (permalink)
Rock Hound

Member # 608906
Also I was able to get started on the rear bumper. I still have more to add but you get the idea of what it will look like.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #42 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 42423
I like the execution in keepin the 4Runner low! Iím beginning my setup and my steering box will be in a similar location to yours and I was curious as to what you did to mount the driverís side core support back into the frame? If you have any pics of this, could you please share?
Old 10-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 19373
Looking good. I like the simple tube work, are you finished with the front bumper?

[QUOTE=steveh;7244017]Keep it on track guys.
DRM and I will be watching. We need our TG paychecks ...... [/QUOTE]
mtnkid85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 45950
very nice! i like the simple bumpers
josh baker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in