CreeperSleeper's '85 Xtra-cab - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I'm not a fan of the spool, but it will work for now. 4.88's and ARBs are on my list when I can start throwing real money at this thing. It will probably be a few years. LOL!

I have to say that the wide tires, spooled rear, and Detroit front this thing is a bitch to turn on the trails... But it was a good shoulder workout. LOL!
Old 12-31-2018, 01:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 23011
Either twin-stick the tcase to "unlock" the front so you can steer, and/or get hydro assist. You won't notice the detroit up front with assist.

Why change to 4:88 when you have 5:29s? I'd keep the gears in it now especially with the 22re

Last edited by vikingsven; 12-31-2018 at 01:59 PM.
vikingsven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2018, 01:59 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I'm planning on twin-sticking the t-case when I add 4.7 gears. That hopefully will happen this spring. Hydro assist is on the longer list.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 228875
How hard were the Cooper seats to mount ? I desperately need to replace the uncomfortable 60/40 seats in my '89. The Toyota SR5 bucket seats seem to be hard to come by, and I don't really want to spend $600+ for PRP seats.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
How hard were the Cooper seats to mount ? I desperately need to replace the uncomfortable 60/40 seats in my '89. The Toyota SR5 bucket seats seem to be hard to come by, and I don't really want to spend $600+ for PRP seats.
I didn't mount them, so I'm not sure what all was involved. I will say that I really miss my Baja SS suspension seats and will be going back to those at some point.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsven View Post
Why change to 4:88 when you have 5:29s? I'd keep the gears in it now especially with the 22re
x2 dumb move, no way id get rid of 5.29s for 4.88s unless i was running 31s
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 11:42 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 79255
The main reason I want 4.88's is to give her a little longer legs on the freeway. That will bring my RPMs down 230 in 5th gear at 70 MPH and get me below the 3000 RPM.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #33 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I had 4.88ís and 35ís and wish I had 5.29ís. It wasnít bad enough for me to ever swap it as I got my 4.88ís for free. I wouldnít do it. Install solid pinion spacer and arbs.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I may change my mind on the gear change. We will see once I have different tires and spend more time on the road. Right now the thought of driving it 6 hours at 70 seems exhausting. LOL
Old 01-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 23011
I DD'd my old 88 pickup with 37's and 5.29s and it was great. You want to be in the 3000 RPM range on the hwy in 5th. That's where the 22RE makes its best power.
I ran 40's for a bit and 5.29s would barely cut it in 5th

BTW: sent you a PM regarding the stereo brackets. Send me your shipping info and I'll drop them in the mail
Old 01-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Thanks! Like I said, I may change my mind once I have the tires I'm going to run on it. I don't have money for anything like that right now anyway. LOL
Old 01-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 25632
5.29s are good for 35s

I ran 6.17s and 38s and it was nice

4.88s are a waste of money. I broke 4.10s just as easy as 5.29s.

I really wanted to do 7.17s and an r151 with the supra 5th gear. Not sure if there is a mod like that for the w56. The 0.85 5th gear is kinda dumb.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 01-02-2019 at 12:47 PM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I really wanted to do 7.17s and an r151 with the supra 5th gear. Not sure if there is a mod like that for the w56. The 0.85 5th gear is kinda dumb.
That's an interesting idea... You are right, a taller 5th gear would be the best of all situations.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:31 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 79509
With factory 29s with 4.11s, 4.88s doesnt put you back to effective gearing with 35s. Ignoring weight and aerodynamics.

A taller 5th wouldnt help either.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
With factory 29s with 4.11s, 4.88s doesnt put you back to effective gearing with 35s. Ignoring weight and aerodynamics.

A taller 5th wouldnt help either.
I was saying if you were to keep the 5.29's and 37's, but had a taller 5th gear (to drop the rpms another 100 - 200 rpm), that would give the truck longer legs on the freeway without sacrificing anything else.

All that being said, I will have to see what it is like with the new tires. Right now it feels too low of geared on the street. Even taking off in first is really short. It has been quite a while since I had something 22RE powered, but this truck either has a lot more power or it feels lower geared... Or maybe I'm just getting old and don't remember so well...

Anyway, like I said before, I won't be doing anything to the gears or lockers for a very long time.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I guess it's time for a quick update. I haven't had much time to actually work on the truck, but I need to get my butt in gear since we are doing an annual snow camping/wheeling trip the first weekend of Feb. (Hopefully we will actually get some snow!)

The NOS lock cylinders apparently were non-existent and the company cancelled the order. Guess I will be buying aftermarket cylinders and getting them re-keyed. Not a big deal, but I wish I would have know that two weeks ago!

I'm not getting any real bites on my tires and wheels, so I may just keep them. I may end up pulling the wheel weights and running balancing beads to see if that helps smooth things out. Another thought of where the vibrations are coming from is the driveshaft. It is a 1 piece, non-CV shaft, so I will make sure that the angles are good and it is phased correctly.

"vikingsven" on Pirate was kind enough to mail me some stock stereo brackets and my BIL gave me an old CD player. That will be installed at some point along with my 2 meter radio. The ham needs to be in for the trip, so that is somewhat a priority. LOL

I have decided to build my own bumpers and sliders, but I need to get steel. Hopefully I will have them done for the trip, but I have to find time to get the materials. I see a lot of late night fab time in my future...

Georg at Valley Hybrids is the man and has 4.7 gears for me! He mostly deals in Land Cruiser stuff, but if you need anything I would recommend asking him. He is definitely one of the TLCA greats and I'm honored to have him as a friend. As soon as I can shuffle some cash around, the gears will be on the way, however, I won't install them until I can get a twin stick set-up. I'm torn between Dave'z or FROR...

Lastly, I figured out how the PO mounted the Mini seats. He bolted the Mini sliders to 1" square tubing and welded it to the floor. Totally not the way I would have done it, but it is what it is. The problem is the left front weld punched through the floor... That is my priority fix! I think I'm going to seal everything up and brace it with angle under the floor. I will probably do that to the passenger seat too before it breaks through.

With a little luck I will be able to start working on it tonight and I will update with pics as soon as I have some!
Old 01-14-2019, 02:07 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I spent the day Saturday in the garage working on the truck. It was a beautiful day, so it was pleasant, but I would have much rather been wheeling!

The first order of business was to see why the front left driver seat mount ripped through the floor. I pulled the seat, trim, and carpet back to find whoever installed the Mini Cooper seats cut the front support out. Then in their infinite wisdom (*sarcasm), they welded 2" chunks of 1"x1" square tube to the floor as the new seat mount. No other reinforcement at all...

Needless to say, I was not impressed... The fix was to use more square tubing to brace both front "mounts" the entire span of the floor and up onto the trans tunnel. I welded it in, then used JB Weld to seal up any holes and give it a little more strength.

It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it is nice and strong now!

After that I pulled mounted the stereo and my 2m Ham to the factory stereo brackets I got, only to find out they were the wrong bracket. I messed with them every way I could think of but they just aren't going to work. So back on the hunt for the factory stereo brackets... If anyone has a set, please let me know.

Lastly I put my new Special Interest plates on (no more registration ever!) and helped my neighbor install a spacer lift on his wife's 5th Gen 4Runner. It was a productive day!

Now I need to order some steel and a few other misc parts to try and get this thing set up for the 1st. The likelihood of snow is looking pretty slim, so I better get some protection on this thing!
Old 01-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 23011
What? The brackets were wrong? Pm sent
Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsven View Post
What? The brackets were wrong? Pm sent
Yeah they were for a wider opening and set the radio about 1/2" too high. Maybe they were for a 3rd Gen or Taco...

No matter, I ain't mad. They gave me a template for mounting the Ham.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 79255
yotadude520 on IH8MUD is the man and was nice enough to send me some door lock cylinders. I got them re-keyed and installed yesterday so I could drive the truck to work and the Cascade Cruisers monthly meeting tonight!

Also this week I was able to order everything else I needed to get the truck to "stage 1" (i.e. I spent all of my money, so this will be where it sits ):

All the steel and winch plate for bumpers and sliders
Stereo brackets
4.7 transfer case gears (Thanks again Georg!)
LED reverse lights
FROR twin stick

I pick up the steel tomorrow and plan on gluing some sliders and the rear bumper together this weekend. If anyone is in the neighbor, stop on by. The hope is to get everything done except the front bumper and TC gears before my trip on the 1st.

Last edited by CreeperSleeper; 01-17-2019 at 11:42 AM.
CreeperSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 01:08 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I didn't get nearly as much done on the truck as I wanted to this weekend. However, I did get the sliders sorted. I just need to finish weld them (ran out of gas in the welder) and weld them to the truck. Then it will be on to the back bumper...

Oh, and I only lit myself on fire once so that is a plus!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Yesterday was rough... Between juggling work, family, and truck I was exhausted! I came home from work planning on taking a night off of welding to just relax. Well, that didn't happen. LOL!

I headed out to the garage to get the sliders all welded up.

I decided that I would paint them before final fitting and welding them on the truck because I'm going to tuck them pretty close to the body and it would be hard to paint them once they are welded on. And that is when I became a victim of the 7 P's... I didn't have any primer or semi-gloss black paint...

So I drug my tired butt to Walmart at 9:30 to see what they had. I got lucky and was able to get it done around 12:30 this morning.

Now I think I deserve a restful evening and I will get them on the truck tomorrow! LOL
Old 01-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I've been sick the last couple of days, but I was able to sneak out to the garage and get the sliders done.

I don't think I will have time to get the rear bumper done before my trip, so I'm going to wait on starting it and get going on the other stuff I need to take care of.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Buttoned up a couple small things this weekend:

1st up was installing my stereo and 2m Ham radio. Unfortunately, the old Kenwood stereo my BIL gave me is dead, so I will need to swap that out eventually. At least it is plugging the hole in the dash for the time being. LOL! For the 2m antenna, I was going to mount a 1/2 wave on the passenger side bed rail to match the CB antenna. I know this would make for dead spots and not the best ground plane, but I thought it would look the best. However once I got it all set up, the damn mount broke and I didn't have another one. My solution was to run my mag mount on the roof with my flexible 1/4 wave antenna. I'm going to have better reception with that anyway.

After that, I used the XL QuikFist clamps to mount my CO2 tank. I have decided on running a side box instead of a crossover toolbox in the bed, so the tank should be well protected.

I leave Friday morning for my trip, so I will probably stop modifying and start figuring out where everything is going to go. LOL!
Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 79255
We had an awesome trip up to Tillamook State Forest (Browns Camp OHV) this last weekend. We didn't get rained on too much, but there was no snow. Saturday was our main day of wheeling and our group consisted of my truck, an FJ40, a YJ, and a FZJ80. What a great group of guys! I am really happy with how well my truck did and I'm excited to keep getting both it and me dialed in.

Here are some pics that I took, but the full album (including videos) can be found on Facebook. 2019 Guys "snow" trip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in