CreeperSleeper's '85 Xtra-cab - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 79255
CreeperSleeper's '85 Xtra-cab

Isn’t it funny how life changes and flows…?

In the last two years, my wife and I got married, bought a “forever home”, built her 5th Gen 4Runner for adventuring, acquired a really cool rock buggy, bought my “dream” Tundra, picked up some quads, and got a couple trailers to haul everything around. We were having a blast playing with our toys and finally being in a spot that we had dreamed about. However, God had other plans and answered a long-forgotten prayer. Amy, who was told that she could never have kids, got pregnant and we are expecting our little boy to be born in March!

With a new baby on the way, our lifestyle and finances needed an overhaul. (Child care is expensive!) We sold the buggy, then the car hauler, then the Tundra, then one of the quads… We were able to get out of some payments and pay down some debt to get ready for the next chapter in our lives. However, that left me without a truck and that wasn’t going to work. I made a list of what I needed a truck to do for me in this stage of my life and figured out how much we could spend. This truck is the result of that and I hope that it will be a member of our family for quite a while.

I was looking for a pre-1992 Toyota pickup or 4Runner. I wanted a truck that was mostly turn-key as I wouldn’t have time (or extra money) to build anything. I needed a truck that I could wheel pretty hard but still drive 4 hours on the highway to take me elk hunting. Long term dream would be something I could load up, drive from Portland, OR to Rubicon Trail, wheel the trail, then drive home… Oh, without spending a bunch of money on it. That is not a small order! After shopping for a while, I ended up with this:

She is a 1985 Xtra-Cab with an ’87 SR5 body swapped on at some point. The bed is bobbed and the fenders are cut at least 4”. She has a 22RE that has been supposedly rebuilt with an intake, cam, header, and exhaust. It feels strong and doesn’t make any noises it shouldn’t. The 5-speed shifts great and it is currently running a stock transfer-case. The front axle has high-steer, 3” Trail-Gear springs with a leaf removed, 14” Fox remote resi shocks, 5.29 gears, Detroit locker, 1.5” spacers, and 30-spline RCVs. The rear is an IFS housing, f150 springs, 14” Bilstein 5100s, 5.29 gears, and a spool. She is currently running 36” radial Iroks on 15” fake beadlock wheels. Other stuff it has is rock lights, heated Mini Cooper seats, a homemade DOM tube front bumper, projector headlights with LED bulbs, and almost everything works! The PO drove the truck daily, so it drives very nicely.

I will be making small changes as I go along, so this thread is just to document the changes and the adventures. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 12-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 685938
My buddie used to own that truck, so itll be cool to see this build
Christopher.h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
I just replaced my broken 5" springs with a new set of 3" springs and it raised it 2". Weird I know but they're shorter and the shackle is at 90 degrees, much like yours it appears. Can you tell which leaf was removed out of the spring pack? Was also thinking of going wiht a shorter shackle, current one is 5 1/2"..
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I had an 85 extra cab that I should have never sold definitely in for this.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
I just replaced my broken 5" springs with a new set of 3" springs and it raised it 2". Weird I know but they're shorter and the shackle is at 90 degrees, much like yours it appears. Can you tell which leaf was removed out of the spring pack? Was also thinking of going wiht a shorter shackle, current one is 5 1/2"..
That is strange that it would raise it so much. Even with a shorter spring, it shouldn't be THAT much... The specs listed on the website is without them bolted up. They should be roughly the same length with weight. That may be worth a call to TG's tech dept. I have found them to be really good.

I honestly don't know which springs were taken out of the pack, but I would imagine it was the two shortest springs. Also, my front shackle angle isn't quite as bad as it looks in that one picture... I will try to get a straight side shot.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher.h View Post
My buddie used to own that truck, so itll be cool to see this build
That's cool!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I was able to order some parts for the truck to make it a little more pleasurable. The window runs were shot, so I ordered a new set for both windows along with the inner and outer "wipers" or weatherstripping. I was also able to find a NOS full lock cylinder set, so that is being shipped to me as well. (The doors were not keyed the same as the ignition and I didn't have the door key.)

This weekend I will put the Iroks and wheels up for sale, so they can be replaced with 37x12.50r17's on my 2015 4Runner Trail Premium wheels. To make that work, I may have to move the 1.25" spacer in the front to the rear and buy 2.5" spacers for the front. I am also planning on running 10oz of DynaBeads for balancing just in case I spin a tire on the wheel up wheeling. The big decision I will need to make is what tire to run! I've had really good luck with Kanati Mud Hogs and would consider them again. I am also very intrigued by Milestar's new Patagonia M/T, but there isn't much out there on them. The last tire on my list is Cooper's STT Pros. If anyone has any insight, I would be more than happy to hear it!

Also on the to-do list this weekend is see if I can fix the dome and cargo lights, install my Ham radio, and start planning storage both in the cab and bed. I also may get working on the shifter bezel if a stock one doesn't show up for sale. My interior is clean enough that I would rather have a nice stock one, but cup holders would also be nice.... LOL!
Old 12-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
There’s a couple threads floating around about tires. Milestars have two different compounds black label as there “sticky” version. They don’t seem to be a true sticky but a softer compound. I’m not sold on the tread design for what I assume you’ll be doing Browns camp and I assume snow. Seems similar to the Goodyear mtrk’s which I have and I’m not a huge fan of them.

The coopers I’ve been impressed with from guys I’ve wheeled with. I decided to go with nitto trail grapplers for my street driven wheeler. I haven’t gotten the rig done so I don’t have any feedback. But coopers were on my list as well.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I figured will just post all of the misc pics I have from the ad for those who care...

The seats are out of a Mini Cooper. They are super comfy and have the seat heaters hooked up.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
There’s a couple threads floating around about tires. Milestars have two different compounds black label as there “sticky” version. They don’t seem to be a true sticky but a softer compound. I’m not sold on the tread design for what I assume you’ll be doing Browns camp and I assume snow. Seems similar to the Goodyear mtrk’s which I have and I’m not a huge fan of them.

The coopers I’ve been impressed with from guys I’ve wheeled with. I decided to go with nitto trail grapplers for my street driven wheeler. I haven’t gotten the rig done so I don’t have any feedback. But coopers were on my list as well.
The black labels are only an option in 40s, so that is off the table for me. Most of the "surprisingly good" reviews have been from the black labels. I totally agree with you about the tread design and Brown's Camp baby shit mud! That is what I'm worried about too.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 102813
She’s beautiful, don’t ever change the color.

I’ve been decently happy with my Coopers

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]

Last edited by Mr Stubs; 12-28-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Check the fuse for the interior lights, people take the fuse out because its what makes the key buzzer work.

To disable the key buzzer if it comes back on, reach under the dash to find it, and then open the box up to open the gap up between the buzzer and the magnet. That will prevent the buzzer from working and keep the interior lights functioning as well.

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhama78 View Post
Check the fuse for the interior lights, people take the fuse out because its what makes the key buzzer work.

To disable the key buzzer if it comes back on, reach under the dash to find it, and then open the box up to open the gap up between the buzzer and the magnet. That will prevent the buzzer from working and keep the interior lights functioning as well.
Lol..

Never tried that, I just unplugged the door push sensor

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Old 12-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
nice roach.

Member # 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
Lol..

Never tried that, I just unplugged the door push sensor
My OCD wont allow me to have a door switch that doesnt activate the dome light...

wear life like a loose garment

84 Toy Farm Beater
88 4Runner Beach Ride
11 Tundra Double Cab Rock Warrior
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Thanks for that! I never tried it myself after owning 10 of these damn things. I appreciate the heads up.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
She’s beautiful, don’t ever change the color.

I’ve been decently happy with my Coopers
Thank you! Red Xtra-Cabs have always been my favorite 2nd Gens, so I'm not planning on changing a thing.

Good to know about the Coopers. You wheel where I do, so that holds a lot of weight for me.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 102813
They don’t work near as well as the 35-10.5-15 Boggers that I loved to run. But they are lighter and handle the asphalt duty much better than the bias ply Boggers.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 685938
Were did you find the window runs and wipers? My 85 could use a set bad
Christopher.h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 3886
I bought runs from the stealer earlier this year.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I found the runs on Ebay for a lot cheaper than the dealership, but they are still available. The wipers I got from some Toyota parts website. I just Googled the part numbers until I found the cheapest place to buy them. LOL
Old 12-31-2018, 07:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 139434
I'm partial to 85 Xtra Cabs myself. Subbd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.7 tow rig

IG: @boomtacoma01

-Chris
Boomtacoma01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 79255
I got some work done on the truck Saturday: The tires and wheels are for sale. I fixed the dome light and the cargo light. I built a battery tie down to replace the ratchet strap. I de-stickered the interior. I added floor mats...

Of course, like any new toy, I found a few more things I need to adjust or fix. But, I did get to take her out for a little bit on Sunday and get her muddy.

Side note, does anyone have a set of the factory stereo brackets they would be willing to sell? Mine are missing...
Old 12-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 23011
I may have a set of factory stereo brackets. I'll check when I get home and let you know. You can have them for shipping cost.
vikingsven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 79255
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsven View Post
I may have a set of factory stereo brackets. I'll check when I get home and let you know. You can have them for shipping cost.
That would be awesome! Thank you!
Old 12-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Makes me miss my 85. BTW, I hated the spool in the back of mine and went back to an automatic locker, Aussie.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in