1981 Pickup - Old Yeller - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2019, 07:17 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Got a 75 series landcruiser pitman arm that is lesser of a drop. Still debating on if I should mount the tierod on the top or bottom of the pitman arm. If I do the top I may need to french half a tube into the frame to make room for the drag link.

Or, anyone know of a pitman arm that is almost flat, that will fit a Yota steering box? Or does anyone have a 2wd pickup arm that'll fit the ifs box?

Last edited by Grronk; 03-13-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Grronk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grronk View Post
I do not think I am understanding what you are meaning by this...

I do plan on removing the body lift, its causing more issues if anything.

I was planning on going with 4.88s since they are stronger than 5.29s, we go out to Johnson Valley and the hammers all the time, so that is where it will be living most its life. Which is why I am leaning more towards the stronger 4.88s

As for the tires, I have a buddy that can get me almost new 37s for $100 each, with only about 160 miles on them, so in my case the 37s are the cheaper route. I will see how they go and after their life I may go down to 35s, but we'll see.

I agree with the pitman arm issue, I just ordered an arm that is almost flat, so I will see how much clearance it gives me, if i need to go with a flat arm ill just cut into the frame a bit to allow it to move freely.

I am not going to pretend this isn't my first complete crawler build, so there will be errors I run into, I appreciate the input!
Get a 6" long piece of 3"x.250 wall tubing. Slice it in half so you have 2 "c's" then weld them onto the bottom of the housing where the u bolts ride.

I really think the "4.88s are stronger than 5.29s" is myth. Plus 4.88s aren't really going to be very noticeable over 4.10s. Keep your eyes out for some factory 4.56 or even 4.30 V6 diffs. At least then WHEN you break them (no matter the ratio) you can get cheap factory replacements.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 843001
@YotaAtieToo

Oh yeah that is a good idea for the U bolts, I may have to do that.

I know a few guys that have gone through a few sets of 5.29s, so from my perspective the myth has some credibility to it. Plus I run 4.88s in my Tacoma with 35s and like them, so I think I would rather err on the side of caution, and run the supposedly stronger 4.88s. Ideally I would be running the stock 4.10 gears, but my truck came stock with the 3.90s, yay

Old 03-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Took the body lift off this weekend. Went down to a 1" body lift from SKY Mfg., pretty happy with how it sits. With the 63s and RUF it sits almost at the same height as it did when I got it, on stock leafs and 6" body lift.

Also, I am going to be putting a new front leaf hanger that will lift it another inch, this will add more clearance for my pitman arm

Old 03-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 92964
Looks real good man. I can't imagine the stress on those bolts for a 6" body lift.

Sky's Ultra clearance hanger is real nice and has the bolts with sleeves. Not sure if you need the 2" drop though, the regular one will give 1" drop.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:09 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yopar View Post
Looks real good man. I can't imagine the stress on those bolts for a 6" body lift.

Sky's Ultra clearance hanger is real nice and has the bolts with sleeves. Not sure if you need the 2" drop though, the regular one will give 1" drop.
Thanks man! Yeah I am glad I took the 6" pipes out, it was like sitting on stilts.

The Sky Ultra Clearance Hanger is what I went with, with the 2" extra drop. I am thinking I may need the extra inch for the 37s I am getting next month, and for when the added weight of the winch and tube bumper sags the front down.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Just a quick update.

I have been dealing with getting the truck to pass smog for the past few weeks, hence why I haven't posted any new updates.

Got it to pass today, and will now continue to build her up.

Next thing planned is the new front spring hanger, winch bumper up front, and then after that hopefully adding the second transfer case.

Oh yeah one more thing, FUCK CA and their smog bull shit
Old 04-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Looks much better without the BL. Are you going to bob the bed?

Last edited by the_white_shadow; 04-17-2019 at 01:27 PM.
the_white_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_white_shadow View Post
Looks much better without the BL. Are you going to bob the bed?
Yeah I plan on bobbing the bed eventually, most likely after the bigger work is done.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Got a lot done over the weekend, wasn't able to take too many pictures, was under a time crunch for Easter.

Got the new front spring hanger burned in, don't think I got any pictures directly of that, and also mounted the winch.

The winch plate is lifted off the frame a good amount, I plan on tying the cage into it from the sides and rear when the cage is done. That will strengthen it some more, and keep it from bending under big loads.

I ended up putting some more supports behind the winch but never got a pic of them. I have faith it will hold up just fine. The winch bumper on my Tacoma was a piece of shit and held up just fine. This one compared to the other one is 10Xs better.

Winch mounted and the rest of the bumper & grill put on

Old 06-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 43822
Updates?

Last edited by Pacer; 06-27-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Lack of recent updates due to work trips and other things getting in the way

Whats new:

After I got it to pass smog and had the title put in my name, it started it have running issues, I knew it was the carb / shitty gas tank with shmeg in it. Since I already went through big headaches trying to get it to run properly enough to pass smog, I said fuck it and ordered a GotPropane kit. Night and day difference, glad I ditched that rats nest of vacuum lines. Stole a tank from work while my two 10 gal tanks come in. (Its been almost 2 months and I haven't heard when I am gonna get them, thanks Suburban Propane...)

Also built some sliders, mounted new bucket seats off of tubing that comes up through the floor and connects each sides sliders for a secure platform for the seats. Going to make the rear hoop and rest of the cage next to finish the harness mounts.

Put 4:88s in the axles, as well as a spool in the rear and a spartan in the front.

Enough typing, here are some pictures

Last edited by Grronk; 07-03-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Its been hot here lately so progress has been slow.

Welded the front axle truss and diff guard on this weekend, as well as finishing up the passenger seat mounts and sealing the floor pan where I cut though for the mounts.

Also got my 10 Gal tanks in the mail and mounted in the bed properly.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Picked up about 100' of tubing this weekend for the cage. Bent and burned in the rear hoop with some supports. Cross bar has tabs going through the cab for the harness mounts, so my 4 points are finally completely in and ready to roll. Will finish up the rest of the exo when I get some more time.

Also got started on my dual cases. I was pretty much done, but when I was putting the triple sticks on the front case cracked. Not sure how, the bolt was no where near tight and had a good half inch until it bottomed out... I think the donor case had some gunk in the treads that I failed to clean out and it stressed it out too much?? I don't know. Anyways, I have a new case from Advance Adapters coming in this week, so I am hoping my duals will be mounted in the truck this weekend.

And yes, I know my case is filthy

This bearing was a bitch to get off, had to join two sets of pullers to reach it. No local shops had any long reach pullers, gonna order one for myself.

Crack Kills

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 203479
20 ton press and a bearing splitter/seperator slides it right off like butter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in