---88' Runner IFS Build--- No idea where this build is going... - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 10:47 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo169 View Post
Nice! I'd be lying if I said I didn't email Blazeland today
I have the blazeland kit on my truck. I'm SASing it next month if you're interested in it.
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #52 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Quote:
Iíll check it out tomorrow. I see that it has one of those crappy single sheer aftermarket idlers. I donít feel anything in the steering wheel, so I figured it wasnít steering related.

I donít think this front end has seen any love in a while, so I was going to replace everything with OEM stuff. I read 4crawlers page about idler arms, so I think Iím leaning towards Total Chaos, but man itís expensive

Attachment 2925104
Do it! Yes it's expensive, but TC makes some badass shit, and you won't have to replace it ever again
Old 04-21-2019, 12:21 AM   #53 (permalink)
ROKRAPR

Member # 63382
Send a message via AIM to Diablo169
Fawk yeah bruh, runner been ide
No for 4 hours straight. Playing music and providing light.

Bros be like it ďsmells like oil maybe you should shut it off.ĒbitchlĒĒ I donít need that f negativity in my life.

#whining

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"14 Bolt don't give a shit. It takes what it wants."
-Little Sluice Memorial Weekend 2012
Diablo169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
ROKRAPR

Member # 63382
Yota Truck has been running pretty good. Rear end noise is still pretty bad, doesn't seem to of fixed itself yet. I need to pull it apart pretty soon, but I'll do that when the 63's go in.

I need to get back on the front bumper. I've been dreading all the welding and grinding.

I picked up some new .030 Wire and some new Miller Welding Tips. Hopefully I have enough gas to at least put a dent on the welding. I should get about 1/2 way done tonight.

This pic you can see how I raised the "wings" up and inch to account for the body lift. I still need to add some more pieces.

Lots of welding.

I rebuilt the Yakima Roof Bars. The tubing was rusted pretty bad and all pack rusted. I got new bars and pads. I also anti siezed and cleaned all the hardware as it was rusted pretty bad. Not sure what I'm going to put on it now

Old 05-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Those wheels are so damn ugly. I still see them floating around and didn't like em 20 years ago.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #56 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
I agree with the wheels, but for some reason Toyotas can get a pass with them. Barely
Old 05-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #57 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
I agree with the wheels, but for some reason Toyotas can get a pass with them. Barely
No

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #58 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
No
I think you should put em on your chair. Shit would look og as fuck.

Not to mention your pussy intake would go from 0 to 1 (insert flipoff here)

Last edited by ADD; 05-21-2019 at 08:34 PM.
ADD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #59 (permalink)
ROKRAPR

Member # 63382
Oh man, yeah, those wheels are hideous, they are corroded really bad as well. The tires are so dry rotted they stopped wearing and are terrifying in the rain.

I picked up some Offset 8 year appropriate wheels of Craigslist. Clear is in bad shape, I might sand blast them and powder coat with my HF setup.

I priced out sending them to OMF down in LA and have them converted to Beadlocks, but that was like $350 a wheel.

Wheels also came with like new center caps.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #60 (permalink)
ROKRAPR

Member # 63382
Making slight progress. I got about 95% of the welding done. I've run out of Gas and Wire.

Getting ready to start the grinding process. I think my exterior welds are too big and are going to suck to grind down.

Also, picked up some spare front end parts and another set of 4 spoke wheels from MTN Yota.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 73194
Quote:
Making slight progress. I got about 95% of the welding done. I've run out of Gas and Wire.

Getting ready to start the grinding process. I think my exterior welds are too big and are going to suck to grind down.
I went with the tip from Cory of NWTI when doing the bumper on my tacoma. Knock down the bulk of the weld with the grinder, and finish them with a belt sander for a really nice, crispy corner. Works mint.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #62 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Oh man, yeah, those wheels are hideous, they are corroded really bad as well. The tires are so dry rotted they stopped wearing and are terrifying in the rain.

I picked up some Offset 8 year appropriate wheels of Craigslist. Clear is in bad shape, I might sand blast them and powder coat with my HF setup.

I priced out sending them to OMF down in LA and have them converted to Beadlocks, but that was like $350 a wheel.

Wheels also came with like new center caps.

$350 per wheel really isn't all that bad when you look at what quality beadlocks cost. I really hope you go through with it. Those would look fantastic and really set the truck off. Wheels are one of the most important aesthetic components in the stance of a rig. It's worth the extra expense if you can swing it.

Cool truck.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
$350 per wheel really isn't all that bad when you look at what quality beadlocks cost. I really hope you go through with it. Those would look fantastic and really set the truck off. Wheels are one of the most important aesthetic components in the stance of a rig. It's worth the extra expense if you can swing it.

Cool truck.
You can get quality beadlocks for less than $350
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #64 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
You can get quality beadlocks for less than $350
You sure are anal about prices, man.

What's a trail ready or Walker Evens fetch these days? Good beadlocks like OMF build are usually in. The $275-$375 range. Seems like a viable option. Shrug.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
You sure are anal about prices, man.

What's a trail ready or Walker Evens fetch these days? Good beadlocks like OMF build are usually in. The $275-$375 range. Seems like a viable option. Shrug.
Damn right

Trail ready is closer to $400 but is a made in the USA as a dedicated beadlock, not a shitty off the shelf aluminum wheel with a weld on kit.

My 17x9 kmc's were just over $300, the shell was thick as fuck and they had the wide square saftey bead to prevent burping air like some of the other beadlocks tend to do.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #66 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Damn right

Trail ready is closer to $400 but is a made in the USA as a dedicated beadlock, not a shitty off the shelf aluminum wheel with a weld on kit.

My 17x9 kmc's were just over $300, the shell was thick as fuck and they had the wide square saftey bead to prevent burping air like some of the other beadlocks tend to do.

If you're saying good things about KMC's while saying OMF is a shitty weld on, I think you should go look at how OMF goes about their product. OMF conversions are really good quality. They machine the lip of the rim off and their rings lock into the rim shell with a press fit before welding.

As for the inner bead. My issue with beads burping always came from the thickness of a lot of beads. Also 9" wide beadlocks are basically a 10" wheel. I bet those Toyota rims are a 6.5 or 7 inch wide rim. But I do appreciate a square safety bead.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:

Cool truck.
Problem with OE wheels is the backspacing and they are narrow. Unsure if converting them to beadlocks makes them wider (like with steel weld on locks). Not a chance I would toss $1400 at some 30 year old wheels.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #68 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Problem with OE wheels is the backspacing and they are narrow. Unsure if converting them to beadlocks makes them wider (like with steel weld on locks). Not a chance I would toss $1400 at some 30 year old wheels.
See, I like the deep back spacing. Big scrub radius is a killer. Puts steering components under more pressure. Kills ball joints (if applicable) causes wheelbase changes. Makes it that much harder to hold a line when doing technical stuff. On road handling goes out the window. Etc.

Now whether the tire package fits with the axle setup? That's a constraint for sure.

As for the narrow rim. I'm also an advocate. I hate 9" rins on a 12.5 or 13.5 tire. I much prefer a 7" or 8" wide rim. Helps stand the tire up at low pressure and keeps inner beads seated. Plus it pulls the sidewalls in further so they don't cut as easily.

I understand that the things I advocate aren't mainstream.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in