Pirate 4x4 banner

Race truck!

43K views 310 replies 59 participants last post by  Provience 
#1 ·
I am currently building a 4600 class Toyota truck for KOH 2020. I came back from the 2019 KOH, parted out my truggy, bought a Toyota truck and started building.
Specs-
Toyota truck
22r on GotPropane
W56 transmission
Marlin ultimate dual transfer cases
OEM Toyota front axle housing
4.88 gears Detroit locker
OEM Toyota rear axle housing
4.88 gears spool
TrailGear leaf springs front/ rear
Fox 2.5s with reservoir
35” DOT Krawlers
15” DIY bead locks

Old build thread.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/2062770-86-toyota-truggy.html

Truggy last ride and disassembly.

See less See more
#92 ·
my .02

- id highly recommend going to EFI, you can always bum fuel off someone. a propane tank, not so much.
- changing a tank will take more time then dumping fuel and you are racing the clock in this class
- those bump pads concern me. they are tall and chances are the striker will slide off and get stuck under during articulation
- the rears being off center like they are will probably bend the spring plate
- budget for shock tuning, seriously like $1000 worth.
- your wiring is asking for your day to be done, clean it up and make it simple, easy to trace and labeled in the event you need to trouble shoot. in case you werent aware, they make other colors of wire besides red. if its near a sharp edge it needs protection. if you have fuses make sure they are labeled and easy to read.
- see pic below, the cage will not fair well in ass over tea kettle to the brow bar/roof situation, it will bend the long tube and junk the cage.
- it would appear you are missing gussets to be legal and some of the ones you have arent up to the task.
- wiring and plumbing are the two items regularly cheaped out on when building a race car and cause a lot of problems. its the end of the build and people are out of money from buying the cool fancy shiney items, get antsy to drive it and throw it together to 'test' and never go back to finish it. it cost a lot of money to get to the race, it would be a shame to have no fun because of you tried to save some money on something.

Attachments

#96 ·
Thanks for the advice and the pic. Most of your concerns are currently being addressed. I am bringing every propane tank I can find and I will be getting contact info for the propane trucks on the lakebed. I am not messing with the bump pads again till the springs break in. I will do some more color coding on the wiring and add some frame tie in tube to the rear. Thanks again.

#95 ·
right on, have somebody post pictures. :smokin:

let me know if you want to go EFI, I still have all that stuff and it is just sitting in boxes taking up space

#106 ·
post some ore pics of your final bump stops locations and pads please. I am in the middle of locating mine and would like to see where you ended up placing them. Also how well do they work? any changes you would make? Thanks in advance. Great job on the build i've enjoyed your progress so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.