What's everyone doing to upgrade headlights these days? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
What's everyone doing to upgrade headlights these days?

Need to replace the headlights on my '85, and wouldn't mind upgrading to something worth a shit at the same time. Seems like the older Toyotas always have pretty piss poor headlights.

Bought some of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and put them on a '93 truck that'll be for sale soon. I actually wanted to buy them from Yotamasters, but looks like they're out of stock - think it's the same thing though? Seems like they 'might' be brighter, but wasn't that impressed. I think I definitely need to adjust them, and drive around with them for a few days to see if I notice a difference, but in the meantime, was looking at these on Rock Auto:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...77300&jsn=4444

And these LEDs on Amazon, along with the wiring harness:
https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-7x...Toyota+4Runner
https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Har...gateway&sr=8-3

It'd be really cool to get some good, bright lights up there, but I also don't want to be the asshole driving around blinding people or look like a ricer with blue lights. What's everyone done that has worked for them? LED, halogen, xenon? I'm kind of dumb when it comes to lights...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Special Thanks to:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, West Kern Environmental Consulting,
desertPOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 293418
Iím buying semi sealed head lights, I just won a set of h4 led with 32000 lumens. Just have to buy a h4 canbus/resistor to be safe, I run led in all my cars and my gf, canít beat it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
luxhvn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Baiter

Member # 138976
i'm so used to shit lights that i get confused in a newer car with decent beams

I'm also curious what others are using and happy with

up is difficult, down is dangerous

The largest tax modification in 30 years, check it out!

Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 156197
In as well. Was just wondering the same thing, need some new lights for my 84 3rz daily project.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53528
run bigger wires to the head lights, made mine way brighter, along with quality headlights

and run a thicker wire to the main fuse

Last edited by rockyota83; 05-14-2019 at 09:04 PM.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertPOS View Post
Need to replace the headlights on my '85, and wouldn't mind upgrading to something worth a shit at the same time. Seems like the older Toyotas always have pretty piss poor headlights.

Bought some of these:

and put them on a '93 truck that'll be for sale soon. I actually wanted to buy them from Yotamasters, but looks like they're out of stock - think it's the same thing though? Seems like they 'might' be brighter, but wasn't that impressed. I think I definitely need to adjust them, and drive around with them for a few days to see if I notice a difference, but in the meantime, was looking at these on Rock Auto:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...77300&jsn=4444

And these LEDs on Amazon, along with the wiring harness:
https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-7x...Toyota+4Runner
https://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Har...gateway&sr=8-3

It'd be really cool to get some good, bright lights up there, but I also don't want to be the asshole driving around blinding people or look like a ricer with blue lights. What's everyone done that has worked for them? LED, halogen, xenon? I'm kind of dumb when it comes to lights...

I have the Hellas with hid conversion. I made my own harness. Iím looking at the led lights. I want more focused light with less amp draw.
Rubirunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 View Post
I have the Hellas with hid conversion. I made my own harness. Iím looking at the led lights. I want more focused light with less amp draw.
For around $75 for the harness plus ledís, Iím thinking I just might order up the lights/harness in the amazon link I posted and see how they do. Thought Iíd see if I could get any feedback here first, since halogen/led/xenon - I donít know much about the difference. Iíll probably give this thread another day or so to see whatís posted, but probably buy that setup and reply here with what I think...

Special Thanks to:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 View Post
Also, quoted you above to ask this question, but got sidetracked. What do you mean by Hellas Ďwith HID conversion?í Different bulbs? Different harness? I just put the Hellas in my dd Ď93 and donít notice a whole lot of difference...

Special Thanks to:
Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Get a pair of clear glass housings and run some HIDs in a warmer color. Something like 4-5k. Nothing colder as it looks to blue and is blinding to others. Aim them correctly. I ran a set on my first gen and they are bright.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 188882
oh boy i dont want to do this but here goes...

i got these

https://www.rigidindustries.com/5-x-...air-55003.html

:sigh: i still dont understand the whole rigid fanboy thing, but my buddy got these and i bought some after seeing his

high and low beams can run at the same time, direct fit, no changing resistors or anything

super bright, its all i had wheeling in johnson valley at night and was perfectly fine, i dont plan on adding any other forward facing lights

i spent like $400 on mine
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
run bigger wires to the head lights, made mine way brighter, along with quality headlights

and run a thicker wire to the main fuse
This right here. This is a well known problem. 4crawler actually sells upgraded headlight harnesses. Toyota cheaped out on wire gauge diameter. Toss a multimeter on the terminals of the light with the headlights on. Your average headlight voltage is around 11 volts. Some are under that. With an ungraded harness you will see an 80% improvement in light output. Headlight voltage will be around 12.6 volts after upgrading harnesses.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Also, quoted you above to ask this question, but got sidetracked. What do you mean by Hellas Ďwith HID conversion?í Different bulbs? Different harness? I just put the Hellas in my dd Ď93 and donít notice a whole lot of difference...
The po of my runner put the hella glass housings in and the hella h4 bulbs with the factory wiring. Light output was low, but not a big deal until I went to moon rocks and the desert soaked up all that light.

Back then my options were, hid conversion or spend big money on a kit like s.w. Speaker. (Those led amazon lights look like copyís)

I got the 55w kit and it still wasnít that bright, after looking at it the factory wiring was unable to supply the required voltage. Ran some new wires, a good ground and a circuit breaker.

Light was now great, everything was lit up and it made a big difference driving long distances. It helped keep you alert.

Iíve had this set up for about 6ish years and I feel like the light out put has faded. Being a trail rig, the lights need to be re aimed. I make lots of new friends heading to the trails, the all flash their high beams and wave.

My head lights are one of the last light to not be converted to led, and seeing the prices drop on well made housings has my attention. Post how you like those, if you get them because I have been complaining about my lights for about a year
Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 724713
VisionX sells plug and play housings and bulbs. They where night and day difference over stock and I haven't messed with the stock harness yet. I picked them up from marlin but I am sure you could find them for cheap on amazon.
Joey f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisin View Post
This right here. This is a well known problem. 4crawler actually sells upgraded headlight harnesses. Toyota cheaped out on wire gauge diameter. Toss a multimeter on the terminals of the light with the headlights on. Your average headlight voltage is around 11 volts. Some are under that. With an ungraded harness you will see an 80% improvement in light output. Headlight voltage will be around 12.6 volts after upgrading harnesses.
i couldnt believe how much brighter my headlights got after increasing the gauge size, i was thrilled to finally be able to see good.
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 07:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
i couldnt believe how much brighter my headlights got after increasing the gauge size, i was thrilled to finally be able to see good.
Itís crazy. $10 in materials to have nice bright lights or you could be like homeboy and spend $500 on a set of lights.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisin View Post
Itís crazy. $10 in materials to have nice bright lights or you could be like homeboy and spend $500 on a set of lights.
they were $400 when i got mine
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 20374
I put a relay harness on mine and the stock headlights improved considerably
Grapehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 09:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by arickvan View Post
they were $400 when i got mine
You savy shopper.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 2931
$38 Ďbeamtechí LED bulbs(amazon) for an h4 housing(98 4runner). Perfect for oncoming traffic(never been flashed though i alugned them just right at install), even CHP said all good when i inquired, yet impressively leaps ahead of the incandescent expensive silvania xenon 5000 whatever superduper bs stuff it replaced. Put a set in dads 08 taco for xmas abd in the factory foglights. He really liked them and the fact they stay just outside of the blueish spectrum at 6500k or so. BRight white, but still white. 4000 lumen each, but in the reflector housing they focus ahead nicely.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 727817
https://www.lceperformance.com/H4-He...-p/3061016.htm

that's the kit im using on my 4runner
Old 05-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarms24 View Post
https://www.lceperformance.com/H4-He...-p/3061016.htm

that's the kit im using on my 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Weldz View Post
$38 Ďbeamtechí LED bulbs(amazon) for an h4 housing(98 4runner). Perfect for oncoming traffic(never been flashed though i alugned them just right at install), even CHP said all good when i inquired, yet impressively leaps ahead of the incandescent expensive silvania xenon 5000 whatever superduper bs stuff it replaced. Put a set in dads 08 taco for xmas abd in the factory foglights. He really liked them and the fact they stay just outside of the blueish spectrum at 6500k or so. BRight white, but still white. 4000 lumen each, but in the reflector housing they focus ahead nicely.
Ok, so I bought these H4 plugs with larger wire coming out of them on Amazon:

I'm going to rewire the harness so that I'm getting more voltage to the lights, then probably buy these:
https://www.amazon.com/RAMPAGE-PRODU...r=8-3-fkmrnull

Last link looks to be the same lights I linked in my first post, and the same lights that LC Engineering has for sale, but $71 on Amazon Prime. I just put the Rock Auto part number into Amazon prime, and that's what they've got. Then later if I want to drop the amps the lights are pulling, I'll just grab the Beamtech led bulbs off Amazon for another $40:
https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Head...r=8-3-fkmrnull

Thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely post up once I get some stuff rewired and installed, although it might be a week or two...

Special Thanks to:
Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 777769
I have the ddm tuning 55w kit. Itís a life time warranty. They have covered two replacements for me so far and one system up grade. Thatís if you go the hid route.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 55560
Autopal housings with 80/100w Hella H4 bulbs and a relayed wiring harness. I've been very pleased with the light output, throw, and cutoff.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Is there a wattage limit for being street legal? Or based on output of lumens?

edit: kind of answered my own question: https://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/22/...ar-headlights/

Special Thanks to:
Old 05-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 71603
Send a message via Yahoo to the78outlaw
Quote:
Is there a wattage limit for being street legal? Or based on output of lumens?

edit: kind of answered my own question: https://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/22/...ar-headlights/
IIRC, DOT requirements are no more than 55 watts on the low beam.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in