Inchworm still around? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 841585
Inchworm still around?

I have a clockable inchworm daul case adapter from 2012ish. It had one of the marlin crawler daul row bearings that had the fill slot that the ball bearings liked to sneak out of... Long story short it wiped out the aluminum/puck/spacer/seal housing that goes between the 2 adapter plates and appears to have housed the seal and may help retain the double row bearing?

So on the hunt for this part and inchworm seemed to have joined with low range a couple years ago. A phone call with them this morning said inchworm went out of business a couple years back. So before trying to have a new one machined or buying a new adapter does anyone know of a place that might have parts for this adapter, or know of a part that will interchange between the adapters?
Purpledecember is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
RBX
Wheeler

Member # 152661
Damn, this sucks. I must have bought one of the last clockable doubler adapters. Now I know why I couldn't find a new V6 trans adapter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

those that can ... do ...those that can't ... criticize
RBX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Swallowed by trailmart.

No dought t/m wont be able to china you one....
Good luck, post up the results for the next guy.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 841585
I have not had any luck finding parts for the inchworm adapter. Heard through a company that all the remaining stock was sold to pirate 4x4. But he wasnt sure if it was this site or another company. As far as having another puck machined for the seal housing i cant find any dimensions online for one so kinda up shit creek until i meet somoene that takes theirs apart as im not entirely sure if it actaully helps hold the bearing or not.

So just bought a trail gear adapter as marlin was out of stock like always and advance adapter uses a double row bearing and i couldn't get a straight answer weather it had a fill slot for the ball bearings. Not going through that bearing bullshit again. Found the better bearing without the fill slot for about 70$ but said fuck it, already grumpy about buying any 400$ adapter. Eventually ill eather sell the inchworm or come across the specs and reinstall it.

If i ever get it sorted out i will update since this website has taught me alot and i hate dead end threads.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 152093
I have a brand new one in the shop that I've been working with for my truggy build. I have to take it apart to re clock it eventually here send me the pics of what you need and I can measure it up and get you specs. It might take me a while as I've been building this truck for off and one 3 years now but I can get you the specs for machining it, hell I might be able to do the machining for you(machinist by trade)
Old 06-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauckster View Post
I have a brand new one in the shop that I've been working with for my truggy build. I have to take it apart to re clock it eventually here send me the pics of what you need and I can measure it up and get you specs. It might take me a while as I've been building this truck for off and one 3 years now but I can get you the specs for machining it, hell I might be able to do the machining for you(machinist by trade)

Proof positive that pbb aint dead just yet.
A new guy adding some tech!(eventually)

Oh and a cannuck at that big grin

Last edited by clb 017; 06-21-2019 at 08:00 AM.
clb 017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 6170
Didn't Trail Gear eventually by the Inchworm designs? I would compare your new adapter parts to the old and maybe you can figure out what needs to be made to fix the old. I'm guessing they will be similar if not the same.

Kevin
Ghetto Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Fab. View Post
Didn't Trail Gear eventually by the Inchworm designs? I would compare your new adapter parts to the old and maybe you can figure out what needs to be made to fix the old. I'm guessing they will be similar if not the same.

Kevin
TG may have bought IW, doesn't mean they are producing more IW adapters. Just deleting the competition by owning the design, but no longer making them since they have "their own" adapter.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Thanx "the 78 outlaw"
LOW Range not front range...... merged / absorbed inchworm , then got trail marted outta the competition...
Last I heard.
Matt is killing the options.
Hope marlin holds out.

Last edited by clb 017; 06-22-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb 017 View Post
Front range merged / absorbed inchworm , then got trail marted outta the competition...
Last I heard.
Hope marlin holds out.
Does this mean the Toyota auto to dual case adapters are gone?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
Does this mean the Toyota auto to dual case adapters are gone?
I far as I know yes. I am just going to run a T100 transmission/transfer case to skip all of the bullshit.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 841585
The Inchworm and trail gear adapters i have are 2 totally different animals i dont think any piece other than the mounting studs will interchange. The inchworm is clockable so it is a 2 piece design,it also runs the daul row bearing and runs a seperate seal housing that goes between the 2 halves.

Trail gear runs a single row bearing, and is one solid piece, The machining for the bearing oil ports looks similar, though i have not compared.

Also for anyone that runs into it the hard way like i did the inchworm adapter i have did not allow oil to transfer between the 2 cases. Kinda cool kinda not. Makes it a pain to fill and drain the front case.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 71603
Send a message via Yahoo to the78outlaw
Quote:
Front range merged / absorbed inchworm , then got trail marted outta the competition...
Last I heard.
Hope marlin holds out.
Don't you mean Low Range?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
Dang- So on the trailgear website they have direct links to both Low Range and AllPro. Did they all get bought or what?
Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post
Dang- So on the trailgear website they have direct links to both Low Range and AllPro. Did they all get bought or what?
pretty sure all pro did

Thank you for visiting the All-Pro Off-Road website!

We are reaching out to our customers to provide some exciting news about the road ahead for All-Pro Off-Road. In recent months, some of our customers have been affected by operational disruptions which have delayed shipment of their orders. For those affected, please know that we sincerely regret these disruptions. Whether youíve been ordering from us since our founding in 1996 or this is your first order, each of us here at All-Pro understands that your order represents your trust in our products, our people and our brand. More than ever, our entire team is determined to make sure we are honoring that trust by leveraging every resource at our disposal to get All-Pro back up to full capacity while simultaneously working to improve every aspect of your experience and interaction with our organization.

To that end, we are pleased to announce that All-Pro Off-Road and Trail-Gear are teaming up to bring All-Pro to the next level. By bringing together 35 years of combined experience in the off-road industry and the very best that both companies have to offer, All-Pro will continue to manufacture the products youíve known and trusted for over 22 years backed by Trail-Gearís state-of-the-art production capability, inventory capacity, fast shipping and customer service.

We are grateful for all your loyalty and support and we thank you now for your patience during this time. We know that All-Pro is going to be better than ever and we hope you will share in our excitement at the great things to come.
98.5 dodge,EZ,TST,ex brk,Goerend,ford outers,quad bags
'05 arctic fox-880wts solar,inverter,cocktail cubes 24/7
502cu in boat EVIL SATISFACTION
v6toy4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
I was glad even though allpro is owned by Trailgear now they are keeping their own products for the most part. Good example is their High steer arms. Solid 4340 Chromoly Forged One-Piece Arms..
Old 06-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Hope marlin holds out.
I can honestly tell you that Marlin will NEVER sell out to TG!! I know that for a fact, he would rather let it go under!!

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Swallowed by trailmart.

No dought t/m wont be able to china you one....
Good luck, post up the results for the next guy.
Nope, by Low Range which is a vendor for many companies products but a main vendor for TG!!

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 05:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 235646
transfer case issues.......

This thread has me worried, but I thought I would post some questions as you all seem to know a whole lot more than I do about this topic.

I bought a very well built 2002 Tacoma truggy, V6 auto with dual cases - an Inchworm and a stock Toyota case. I suspect the truck was built around 2007 give or take and I bought it a few years back. It has been super reliable and a great truck to tackle some really hard trails.

However, this past weekend in Montrose, CO I crunched one of the transfer cases. I am not sure which one just yet as I have not torn it apart, but I am hoping its the rear one. The outputs seem pretty loosey-goosey so I hope its the stock case that bit the dust.

If it turns out it was the Inchworm that broke, what are my options? Doesn't sound like parts exist anymore.

I hope I can put this truck back together as it has been a great truck.
nucleophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 841585
Pretty much buy a new adapter from marlin,advance adapters, or trail gear. Or Wait for a used one to pop up or have the part machined. I couldn't find any new parts for sale for the inchworm but i'm sure theres somoene out there with a small stash of them just not sure who.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 841585
Read it wrong you have an inchworm crawl box so no idea on that.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Why don't you take it apart first and see what broke first?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pat

Member # 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucleophile View Post
This thread has me worried, but I thought I would post some questions as you all seem to know a whole lot more than I do about this topic.

I bought a very well built 2002 Tacoma truggy, V6 auto with dual cases - an Inchworm and a stock Toyota case. I suspect the truck was built around 2007 give or take and I bought it a few years back. It has been super reliable and a great truck to tackle some really hard trails.

However, this past weekend in Montrose, CO I crunched one of the transfer cases. I am not sure which one just yet as I have not torn it apart, but I am hoping its the rear one. The outputs seem pretty loosey-goosey so I hope its the stock case that bit the dust.

If it turns out it was the Inchworm that broke, what are my options? Doesn't sound like parts exist anymore.

I hope I can put this truck back together as it has been a great truck.

More than likely it is your back case as it will have substantially more load on it. There are still options with Marlin and Trailgear if not. Go search their websites..
Old 06-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOP'S View Post
Nope, by Low Range which is a vendor for many companies products but a main vendor for TG!!
@OOP'S Do tell....

So when my NEW rock assault housing had issues....
Nick sent me to tg for warrenty claims,
What'd I miss???

Last edited by clb 017; 06-25-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 235646
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Why don't you take it apart first and see what broke first?
Fair comment. I am waiting for my friend's shop to clear out a bit and then I will tear it apart. Just wanted to get a head start on this stuff if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
More than likely it is your back case as it will have substantially more load on it. There are still options with Marlin and Trailgear if not. Go search their websites..
I think you are right that it is the back case. I just wish I knew what the back case actually is. Not sure if it is an RF1A or not. I emailed Marlin about buying their dual case setup but they said it is not possible to clock if flat. My current set up has the rear case clocked flat with a nice flat belly skid. I would hate to give that up and have the t case hanging down dragging on rocks.
nucleophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in