Ruffstuff front axle on leafs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 39826
Ruffstuff front axle on leafs

I'm building a ruffstuff housing with 80 outers and shafts for the front of my 85. Since I'm trying to stick with stock 80 shafts, I won't have any leeway on where the diff ends up, so some of it will be under the spring.

Ruffstuff makes a stock replacement housing with the spring perch replacing part of the housing, but I contacted them and they won't sell their pieces. I have a plasma table and can cut whatever, but I'm interested in seeing what others may have come up with before I cut into the housing.
Ak_F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Nothing to add but if you’re not getting better shafts whats the fab housing upgrade gaining you and doing all that work? Just curious not being an ass (at the moment).
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 53528

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...t-options.html
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 39826
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictylers1 View Post
Nothing to add but if you’re not getting better shafts whats the fab housing upgrade gaining you and doing all that work? Just curious not being an ass (at the moment).
+5.1" width, bigger birfs, balls and brakes. I should have been more specific, stock length shafts, it's getting RCV's and hellfire knuckles.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 39826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
I knew I'd seen that somewhere!

What I'm not too clear on is if they're running stock length 80 shafts. Typically a +3 housing adds to the short side, whereas I'll be adding ~2.5 to both sides, keeping the diff in the stock location. Ruffstuffs stock width front housing gets waaayyy into the diff compared to these pictures, which is exactly where I'll be.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2137.html
Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 79509
For the cost, I'd just order custom length inners and avoid your issue.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
For the cost, I'd just order custom length inners and avoid your issue.
x2 and order a spare at the same time so getting a replacement in the future is not a problem if thats what hes worried about
Old 06-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak_F250 View Post
I knew I'd seen that somewhere!

What I'm not too clear on is if they're running stock length 80 shafts. Typically a +3 housing adds to the short side, whereas I'll be adding ~2.5 to both sides, keeping the diff in the stock location. Ruffstuffs stock width front housing gets waaayyy into the diff compared to these pictures, which is exactly where I'll be.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2137.html
doesnt really matter too much, just start measuring cutting and welding add your pics to that thread when youre done
Old 06-27-2019, 10:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3886
Positioning the diff for ubolts on the Diamond i just installed, moved the diff 4". It's really a non issue.

Last edited by gnob; 06-27-2019 at 10:17 PM.
gnob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 53528
it can be with hi pinion and a lot of up travel, diff can get into the oil pan and drive line into bell housing
Old 06-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Bump the spring perches out to >< 31 or so and notch into the housing. Search for ‘zembalyan’. Binksfab white 4runner with a serious cut into the factory housing for leaf perches. nice work and a great example that outta help a lot.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 89362
I know you might be stuck on that puny little 8" gear set, but a 60 series landcruiser front axle with a 2.5" tubing extension and a new short side +5" will get you the same width, position will fit in a mini truck and you also get a 9.5" R&P. I have done it on a 40 series (similar spring mounting width to mini truck) and can turn 40's to full lock without touching your leaves. Sorry I just don't get the effort needed to make an 8" diff work?
too tall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 39826
Quote:
it can be with hi pinion and a lot of up travel, diff can get into the oil pan and drive line into bell housing
That's another reason I don't want to move the diff over too much. I have a HP 3rd in the stock housing now and the pinion has already chewed up the bellhousing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by too tall View Post
I know you might be stuck on that puny little 8" gear set, but a 60 series landcruiser front axle with a 2.5" tubing extension and a new short side +5" will get you the same width, position will fit in a mini truck and you also get a 9.5" R&P. I have done it on a 40 series (similar spring mounting width to mini truck) and can turn 40's to full lock without touching your leaves. Sorry I just don't get the effort needed to make an 8" diff work?
If I didn't already have a HP diff with 5.29's and an ARB that route might be an option. Plus I've never had any issues with 8" strength in the front, not many rocks in AK
Old 06-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by too tall View Post
a HP 8" 3rd with an arb and solid pinion spacer is stronger then 30 spline chromo birfs so unless youre upgrading knuckles that allow you to run d60 sized shafts/rcv's upgrading the 3rd member is a waste of time
Old 06-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 89362
You guys don't break 30 spliners? It is a fairly regular occurrence around here. Usually the R&P lets go before the birfs if it is an 8".
too tall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
a HP 8" 3rd with an arb and solid pinion spacer is stronger then 30 spline chromo birfs so unless youre upgrading knuckles that allow you to run d60 sized shafts/rcv's upgrading the 3rd member is a waste of time
Shift into reverse gear and...

Meanwhile the 9.5 is already turning that direction. Still, an 80 birf is not a minitruck or earlier Fj birf by any measure. The ‘8.4’ named diff with intercarrierbearing cradle sure looks more appealing than anything yet mentioned except a new gearsrt in a 9.5 @ 29 spline. Look at the vehicles its come in(v8 fatass crewcab <07 tundra and the gx470. Tin benders were dumping hipinions before the triangulated 4 link was off a cal poly students homework assignment and onto john james buggy. Thats welded ring to bell longfield timeframe. A decade ago.

In not saying youre wrong, but that scenario isnt a universal factoid and nobody knows the diff setup/breakin or things relavent to those variables generally when .
Old 06-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Weldz View Post
Shift into reverse gear and...

Meanwhile the 9.5 is already turning that direction. Still, an 80 birf is not a minitruck or earlier Fj birf by any measure. The ‘8.4’ named diff with intercarrierbearing cradle sure looks more appealing than anything yet mentioned except a new gearsrt in a 9.5 @ 29 spline. Look at the vehicles its come in(v8 fatass crewcab <07 tundra and the gx470. Tin benders were dumping hipinions before the triangulated 4 link was off a cal poly students homework assignment and onto john james buggy. Thats welded ring to bell longfield timeframe. A decade ago.

In not saying youre wrong, but that scenario isnt a universal factoid and nobody knows the diff setup/breakin or things relavent to those variables generally when .

none of that changes the fact that i broke 6 different chromo shafts with the same hp 8" 3rd

and ive actually went up wh1 on fordyce in reverse
Old 06-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 53528
i dont mean to bash on the 9.5 diff, i actually like it, im just trying to defend the little 8" 3rd
Old 07-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 2931
So RCD sets up your diffs, and you buy all your shafts at TG🤡

I never broke a hp/arb eithrr....
Old 07-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 45
Quote:
So RCD sets up your diffs, and you buy all your shafts at TG🤡

Swedish American :usa:
rugburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
So RCD sets up your diffs, and you buy all your shafts at TG��

nope

they were all old school longs straight from bobby himself except for one dirty 30

cool try though

and i do my own diffs

Last edited by rockyota83; 07-03-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in