AW4 swap info - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #26 (permalink)
Shift to the Best

Member # 68266
Quote:
Originally Posted by friggnxj View Post
I'd be interested in seeing if hooking the TV cable back up to the TB, makes a noticeable difference on trans temp....................

One thing I thought about was wiring up the TC lock-up to help combat high temps. I could manually lock up the TC when not under load, to help bring the temps down further. I just don't want to forget about turning the lock-up off. I thought about wiring the lock up to an RPM activated switch but I am nervous about engaging the lock-up at 75% to WOT.
I wired my TC lock up to a switch and have a light to remind me its on. I do believe having the ability to lock it will help when racing. A couple customers I have talk with have commented that's the setup they use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shift controllers and shifters, AMS mounts
Toyota Triple & Twin Sticks
John 3:16- He is the answer.
R.DesJardin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 02:58 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
Where did I state that “they just throw them away”?

I’m trying to get the point across that these are dependable and durable autos. There is plenty of documentation here about how many use it with the cable just tied up and wide open. Rory (RAD Designs) will also suggest you do in your application, he did on mine.

If you are hell bent on using the kick down cable you may just have to figure it out yourself, I don’t know anyone who does in this application.

I literally said it may cause issues. Not sure how you got hell bent out of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
Beware, pulling the cable tight has been known to cause overheating issues. Transgo kit is a must.
This is the "Issue" I was talking about.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 166881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbhilux View Post
Chilkat
Join: Aug 2010
Mentions: 1
Oregon

Jul 08, 2019 · #12
What torque converter are you going with?

I’m running a stocker out of an 89 pickup
Is it a stocker from a 3.0 V6 or a 22re?
Chilkat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #29 (permalink)
O-ring Technologist

Member # 62564
Quote:
Beware, pulling the cable tight has been known to cause overheating issues. Transgo kit is a must.

I'm going to say that this can be put to bed. I ran a pre-run lap last weekend at the Ultra4 race with the cable accidentally disconnected (not pulled tight), trans temp got up to 210*F.
I reconnected the cable so that it was always pulled tight. Ran the race (giving them LS boys a run for their money), and the trans only got to 210*F. This was the hardest we ever pushed the car in 3 years of racing.

I will say that the trans took longer (30 miles versus 15 miles) to get to 210*F during the pre-run with the cable loose, but we were not driving the car nearly as hard.

IMHO don't think the cable being pulled tight necessarily increases the trans temp.

Last edited by friggnxj; 09-17-2019 at 09:26 PM.
friggnxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 09:24 PM   #30 (permalink)
O-ring Technologist

Member # 62564
Quote:
I wired my TC lock up to a switch and have a light to remind me its on. I do believe having the ability to lock it will help when racing. A couple customers I have talk with have commented that's the setup they use.
I did this and I did not see a noticeable difference with the TC locked up. I played with it while pre-running, but didn't use it during the race. Maybe I was expecting dramatic results, and that may have been an unrealistic expectation on my part. I also found it difficult to run with the TC locked as it somewhat bogged down the motor on anything other than long straight aways (which were far and few between), and made it had to stay at a competitive speed. The desert out at Ridgcrest was the roughest desert we raced in so far, so this may not have been the best way to see what kind of improvement the TC lock-up could do for temp management.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in