3.0 Knock Sensor relocation seems to have worked for me. At least for now... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2019, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 190804
3.0 Knock Sensor relocation seems to have worked for me. At least for now...

background:

1991 Toyota truck with the 3slow and 5speed. 200k miles and it's been abused up here on the mountain for all of it's life. Bought it from the original owner a few months ago with a leaking injector. Well long story short had to pull the upper intake 3 times to get the injectors to not leak. The last time I pulled the manifold I started getting code 52. Knock sensor. Had I known about the KS issues I would have gladly replaced it with an OEM unit with new wires when I had the manifold off, but I didn't know.

Anyways

I got a cheap Ebay KS and simply bolted it to the 'hook' on the passenger side front of the engine. The new KS came with enough shielded wire to connect to the stock wire under the throttle body (the stock wires were in very bad shape). I didn't bother with connecting the shielded part of the stock wire to the new KS shielded wire. So the KS is grounding through the engine hook. I only connected the stock black wire that is inside of the shielded wire. This wire apparently goes to the ECM on B5.

I've drove it around quiet a bit and the CEL is off and the engine is running great with no pinging. I live at 8500 feet and commute down to 5000 feet.

Emissions testing will happen in a few days.

My plan is to fix this correctly with a new OEM knock sensor and harness the next time I have to pull the intake manifolds off.

I will keep this post updated as it seem that relocating the knock sensor seem to be controversial and many people have had mixed results.
Blakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Dude, leave it where it is. I dealt with this issue on an 89 4Runner for YEARS, and did exactly what you did.

After a new Toyota KS, new harness and hours of troubleshooting it finally resided on the "hook" for the remainder of it's life. Never gave me any issues for well over a 100k miles.

Just sayin'... If you want to fiddle with it, that's your call.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 190804
Ya, but I read on the internet (so It must be true) that relocating the knock sensor to the hook is like one of the worst things you can do to a toyota. Even worse than running it without oil in the engine! LOL.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakes View Post
Ya, but I read on the internet (so It must be true) that relocating the knock sensor to the hook is like one of the worst things you can do to a toyota. Even worse than running it without oil in the engine! LOL.

Have at it Hoss! I chased that code for a loooong time and nary an issue for YEARS with it mounted on the hook. Update this as you go, would be interested to find out what it was.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 190804
Well up here on the mountain there are a lot of 3 slows. Both trucks and 4runners. BTW there are some interesting differences between the truck/4runner 3 slows. they are definitely NOT the same, but very similar.

4runners have an extra port on the rear of the manifold for coolant that the trucks don't have.

The oxygen sensors are the same (visually) but the wiring connectors are different.

EGR's seem different (although interchangeable) but that might be a yearly thing.

Anyways ya, I have lots of 3 slows to mess with and will try to keep this updated.

I hear ya, leave it relocated and let it run.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 190804
Update:

I've put about 300 miles on the truck and passed Colorado emissions with the knock sensor relocated. It's running great and getting 18mpg on my 60 mile round trip commute up/down the mountain. Stock 91 extended cab 5 speed 3 slow with 31" mud tires.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 190804
Update:

I have about 10k miles on the KS relocation. it's still sitting there on the engine lift bracket and no CEL.

Although I'm not sure the KS is actually doing what it's supposed to as I do hear some pinging on warmer days going uphill in 4th gear. I just left off the gas a bit and the pinging goes away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in