Advice on new shocks - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 181179
Advice on new shocks

I have a 86 4Runner that I did a sas on about 10 yrs ago. The bilstein shocks are wearing out. I would like to replace these with some nicer shocks with adjustable dampening. I do some rocks,normal offroad and I go to the dunes a few times a year. What shocks are you guys running? Kings and Fox seem to be the cool thing now. Here is my truck as it sits now. https://www.flickr.com/photos/161937.../shares/882o4M
stereoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 213125
F.O.A.
Aisin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 188882
my bilstiens are... okay...ish

probably plenty for what most toyota guys do (me included), but i do plan on upgrading

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...ey-shocks.html
arickvan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 181179
Quote:
Originally Posted by arickvan View Post
my bilstiens are... okay...ish

probably plenty for what most toyota guys do (me included), but i do plan on upgrading

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyo...ey-shocks.html
Mine were too. Now I can tell they are wearing out so I would like something nicer. I canít believe how dead this forum is. Not even a drink bleach or suck start a shotgun. Hahaha! You fags are slacking!
Old 12-02-2019, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
Magic Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2019, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil,yota View Post
Magic Mike
Ha gaaaaayyyy

Oh and any shock will be fine. I can tell you donít wheel, you drive on dirt
Rubirunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2019, 12:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 727817
on mine im running accutuned fox remote res shocks I dig them
Old 12-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 181179
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil,yota View Post
Magic Mike
Old 12-03-2019, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 181179
Thatís more like it! Hahaha! I do drive it on dirt. I am thinking a nicer shock would be the ticket. I figured I would get a better ride all around. By the way, the nickname came from my urban stereo clients. I used to do quite a lot of large bass systems and I was walking in a store with the wife. A customer came up behind me and said Magic Mike,Magic Mike whatís up. My wife had a hard time not laughing out loud. Annnnndddd,thatís how you get the super awesome nickname.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoguy View Post
Thatís more like it! Hahaha! I do drive it on dirt. I am thinking a nicer shock would be the ticket. I figured I would get a better ride all around. By the way, the nickname came from my urban stereo clients. I used to do quite a lot of large bass systems and I was walking in a store with the wife. A customer came up behind me and said Magic Mike,Magic Mike whatís up. My wife had a hard time not laughing out loud. Annnnndddd,thatís how you get the super awesome nickname.
With leafs, donít waste your money on shiny shocks. The amount of money to get them dialed is not equal to the gains. My $.2 if you do nice shocks, donít stop there. Links and tuning. Itís a lot of money to go faster on dirt.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 View Post
With leafs, donít waste your money on shiny shocks. The amount of money to get them dialed is not equal to the gains. My $.2 if you do nice shocks, donít stop there. Links and tuning. Itís a lot of money to go faster on dirt.
Yea. Donít waste time on nice shocks with leaf springs. Itís exactly what the winner of KOH did.
Aisin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisin View Post
Yea. Donít waste time on nice shocks with leaf springs. Itís exactly what the winner of KOH did.
I missed the part where he was building a koh spec class rig did you even look at the pics? That thing isnít getting beat on. If I thought he was doing wide open runs, I would have said go for it but shocks are not cheap and ether is paying for tuning.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Quote:
Your mom should of swallowed

A decent tuned resi shock is still gonna be better than a off the shelf generic tuned shock and he already needs shocks. All the extra stuff to link a vehicle is a ton more cost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 777769
[QUOTE=94toytruck;44712302]Your mom should of swallowed

A decent tuned resi shock is still gonna be better than a off the shelf generic tuned shock and he already needs shocks. All the extra stuff to link a vehicle is a ton more cost.[/QUOTE

Thanks I had no idea.

What you donít comprehend is that there is a big difference in price vs performance. If he asked about building a race car then yes, get some bypass shocks, weigh each corner and determine your spring rate. Test and tune.

Or replace with some bilsteins or ranchos and spend the $2k you saved on hookers and blow.

Let me guess.. I canít wheel with out tons and 4ds right?
Old 12-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 777769
I will expand on what I said to help you unfuck your way of thinking. I donít think he he getting shock fade from hours of desert roads.
Op if thatís what is going on, chime in.
I think his valving is off and his unsprung weight is high. To just tell him to buy shiny parts because racecar is retarded.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94toytruck View Post
Your mom should of swallowed

A decent tuned resi shock is still gonna be better than a off the shelf generic tuned shock and he already needs shocks. All the extra stuff to link a vehicle is a ton more cost.

Thanks I had no idea.

What you don’t comprehend is that there is a big difference in price vs performance. If he asked about building a race car then yes, get some bypass shocks, weigh each corner and determine your spring rate. Test and tune.

Or replace with some bilsteins or ranchos and spend the $2k you saved on hookers and blow.

Let me guess.. I can’t wheel with out tons and 4ds right?
No, I comprehend it fine. No one suggested anything to do with bypasses, you added that. No one said link it, you did. He said a tunable shock that's it. There's certainly a gain to be had with a decently setup shock than those generic off the shelf shocks. If his unsprung weight is high and valving is off(your words not mine) how do you intend to solve that with some off the shelf generic valved shocks that can't even be opened up?

Last edited by 94toytruck; 12-04-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94toytruck View Post
No, I comprehend it fine. No one suggested anything to do with bypasses, you added that. No one said link it, you did. He said a tunable shock that's it. There's certainly a gain to be had with a decently setup shock than those generic off the shelf shocks. If his unsprung weight is high and valving is off(your words not mine) how do you intend to solve that with some off the shelf generic valved shocks that can't even be opened up?
[QUOTE=94toytruck;44713216][QUOTE=Rubirunner85;44712406]

Op said his shocks were old and worn out. New replacements are a cheap way to get the ride back to what it was. Looking at the rig, I think that would be fine.

Will rebuildable emulsion or reservoir shocks be better? Op seems to want instead of need. (Personal perspective) I think the only way to get better performance, or your moneyís worth is tuning.
Will the money be worth the benefit? My opinion, throwing bling shocks at that rig would not net the gains for the money spent. The same amount of fun can be had with new billies. $2k will buy a summerís worth of gas or lighter tires or new progressive leafs...

Beyond that, buy some shocks and post updates. Iíll gladly watch you get faster in the woops.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 181179
Im a bit out of the loop on shocks I guess. I donít have any desire to replace my leaf springs and go links. I have had this truck for a long time and built it to be reliable. I joke itís a very cookie cutter Toyota build other than some of my ideas ( like the front/rear suck down winches). I fix anything that breaks and keep up on maintenance so I donít breakdown on the trail and I fix the body as I crush or damage it. Usually every few years. The fact is with this combo (that most Toyota guys run) it just works. Iím getting older so I donít drive it like a retard but every trip I do some new to the group guy makes the comment about my mall crawler truck(usually a built Jeep). By the end of the day I have to rescue/drag their dumbass out of a pinch. I am just looking to upgrade to a better shock that is a little tunable. Nothing like bypass shocks I donít think. I donít go fast even in the dunes. I donít mind spending some moderate amount on new shocks. What are some choices for a better shock for letís say 250 per shock? Oh,by the way my wife might disagree with you on the not beat part. She had a nice view of the windshield caving in on her this day.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:35 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereoguy View Post
Im a bit out of the loop on shocks I guess. I donít have any desire to replace my leaf springs and go links. I have had this truck for a long time and built it to be reliable. I joke itís a very cookie cutter Toyota build other than some of my ideas ( like the front/rear suck down winches). I fix anything that breaks and keep up on maintenance so I donít breakdown on the trail and I fix the body as I crush or damage it. Usually every few years. The fact is with this combo (that most Toyota guys run) it just works. Iím getting older so I donít drive it like a retard but every trip I do some new to the group guy makes the comment about my mall crawler truck(usually a built Jeep). By the end of the day I have to rescue/drag their dumbass out of a pinch. I am just looking to upgrade to a better shock that is a little tunable. Nothing like bypass shocks I donít think. I donít go fast even in the dunes. I donít mind spending some moderate amount on new shocks. What are some choices for a better shock for letís say 250 per shock? Oh,by the way my wife might disagree with you on the not beat part. She had a nice view of the windshield caving in on her this day. ]
my buddy picked up some fox remote reseviors from accutune and that seems like the way to go

they'll pre-tune them for you (not the best over the phone but still better than nothing)

bad part is youre looking at 350 per shock going that route

at the end of the rubicon theres about 5 miles of gravel forest road, me and my buddy drive very differently but at the end of the road my bilstiens were almost too hot to touch and his were barely warm
arickvan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 18614
Bolt on Bilstein replacements $100 a pop from trail-gear. Accutune remote resi Fox 2.0's 5/8s shafts valved and tuned to your rig $269 with free shipping. You could go to emulsion but your not gonna save much and the gain is worth it. Also they are completely rebuildable.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Amazon is cheaper than trail mart. $84 for a 12Ē

Magic mike, what kind of springs do you have? I have an almost identical rig and I will be replacing my suspension. If the ride is really that much better, I might get some bro shocks too
Old 12-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
small world...... looks like we have similar rigs just yours is about 50 million dents behind mine.....

i'm running old ass rancho adjustables and the blow.... harder than a passenger looking for a ride @ sturgis.

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2019, 07:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 181179
Quote:
Amazon is cheaper than trail mart. $84 for a 12Ē

Magic mike, what kind of springs do you have? I have an almost identical rig and I will be replacing my suspension. If the ride is really that much better, I might get some bro shocks too
I have the 4Ē ifs eliminator springs from trailmart. They have settled a bit so not so tall anymore. I think itís bro shocks for me. I will keep you guys informed if they are worth the money or not.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 863148
A couple referrals in here, thanks! Yes we can certainly help with a Fox or King remote reservoir shock. If you do go that way, we will valve it according to your trucks weight/leaf spring suspension. Tuning is a free service we offer, and included in the price you see online. PM us for more info!

*FREE* Custom tuning on purchased shocks. Fox Shocks, King Shocks & more!
AccuTune Offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
W6FTW

Member # 133266
I went the adjustable valving route from having bilstiens before on my last rig.

If you get foxes or kings, the valving wont work out of the box. I settled on a .008 stack of shims on the rebound, and a .012 stack on the compression.

It will be FAR better than a bilstien. The valving was pretty close to where it needed to be, good enougj for a trail rig that wants to flog in the fire road sections

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NorCalPR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in