Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   Toyota - Truck and 4Runner (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/12-toyota-truck-4runner/)
-   -   Son's first truck, maybe! (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/2695046-sons-first-truck-maybe.html)

1985 Toyota 01-17-2020 07:03 PM

Son's first truck, maybe!

I got lucky (I think) and located a truck for my oldest and I to work on. It's an 85 pickup that's relatively straight with not too much rust.

He's 12 so we have a few years to get it going. I know it needs a fuel pump, front main seals, fresh fluids, radiator flush, etc. Once I get it to run, I'll do the timing chain, water pump, etc.

I had an 1985 4runner so I have some experience wrenching on these.

My main concern is keeping it from deteriorating over the coming years and preventing any further damage by nasty fluids. Driving it would be good and st some point, we might start taking it out.

Any tips on keeping an old truck from falling apart as we work on it and get it back to good mechanical condition? If we can shoehorn it into the garage we will. Not sure if it'll make it anytime soon. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...17f81040aa.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...962b32f526.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...20657d73c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JDWeeler 01-17-2020 07:24 PM

If that’s primer you might want to put some paint on it.
If it’s going to be sitting, pressure wash all the mud out from under it and paint where ever theirs rust to prevent it from rusting anymore.

Nasty fluids? Replace all the fluids so you know they are ok and you should be fine.
Flush the radiator, change the oil in the motor, and check for water in the axles.

If he’s 12 he might be driving it if you have a place to take him.
I use to fill pot holes on our road when I was 12 and use the car to compact them.

1985 Toyota 01-17-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDWeeler (Post 44774436)
If thatís primer you might want to put some paint on it.
If itís going to be sitting, pressure wash all the mud out from under it and paint where ever theirs rust to prevent it from rusting anymore.

Nasty fluids? Replace all the fluids so you know they are ok and you should be fine.
Flush the radiator, change the oil in the motor, and check for water in the axles.

If heís 12 he might be driving it if you have a place to take him.
I use to fill pot holes on our road when I was 12 and use the car to compact them.

It is primer. I'll have to explore some paint options. It has a sunroof. Not sure if they had factory sunroofs. Dont see water leak indications inside, but on the outside, the edge of the seal is raised.

Figured a good pressure wash most everywhere would be a good deal. Lots of cakes on dirt and oil, probably from the front main seal.

Was thinking about putting it on blocks and covering the wheels/tires to limit ground contact until I can get it driving or in the garage. I have pavers and cinder blocks to block it for now.

On the axles, I figured I would do a drain and refill. If there's water, I'll see it then. Did you have a different idea?

And yes, its possible at some point he could drive it off the roads. But, he would tell mom and I'd be in the dog house.

First things first. Clean, get it to run, assess what it needs.

Then, find another one for me and a 3rd one for his brother.

1985 Toyota 01-17-2020 09:15 PM

Think I'll take my son to junkyards this weekend to see if there are any useable parts on the trucks they have.

Specific items we should be on the lookout for other than stuff I know we need?

What items carry forward into 86-88 trucks?

Provience 01-18-2020 08:24 AM

clean it up and run it, best thing you can do is occasional use

if there are any of those at non-specialized junk yards, i'll be amazed.

Black Sheep 01-18-2020 09:32 AM

He's 12...

Powerwash it, then powerwash again. Pull the engine and reseal it. Same with trans and tcase. Then reseal the axles.

Its 1985, the rubber is 35 years old, time to replace everything. Or you can deal with leaks in your driveway.

1985 Toyota 01-18-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Provience (Post 44774970)
clean it up and run it, best thing you can do is occasional use

if there are any of those at non-specialized junk yards, i'll be amazed.

Running it is best. Hoping to do just that.

I'll find out about the junk yards. Their inventory says at their 4 locations there are 2 85s, 3 86s and at least 1 87. Don't know what is left there though.

1985 Toyota 01-18-2020 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Sheep (Post 44775092)
He's 12...

Powerwash it, then powerwash again. Pull the engine and reseal it. Same with trans and tcase. Then reseal the axles.

Its 1985, the rubber is 35 years old, time to replace everything. Or you can deal with leaks in your driveway.

He is 12. These don't come up too often and the price was right.

The rubber most certainly will need to be redone. Fortunately it's all readily available.

Good strategy. Hopefully we can make some room to slide it into the garage and then we can move stuff to the shop for work to be done.