1985 4Runner still considered a good platform? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 219435
1985 4Runner still considered a good platform?

I’m looking at a 1985 22re 4Runner for $2800 (lowest he’ll go) with a rebuilt engine but realized I don’t know much about old yotas. Back in the day I know these were considered the glory year, although I always did like the looks of the 1983 and earlier ones slightly better.

Is this still considered a good platform to build a cheap mild/medium rig or is everyone just SASing newer 4runners now? I’m also looking at an 82 pickup with more mods and LCE 22R for 2500 but it needs work to be driveable.

I drive a newer Tacoma, always wheeled old jeeps, never owned an old Toyota or driven a 4 banger.
GraniteChief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40131
I would. Reliable drivetrain. Solid axle front. I think my biggest concern would be rust. I’d actually like to find a similar vehicle to build for my son in the near future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 225201
That’s a decent deal, I’d go for it.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Check the rear wheel wells for rust. Sounds like decent deal. Those frames have more arch than ifs frames so easier to keep it low.

For that price on Craigslist you could sell just the front axle!
Old 02-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25632
The platform is still a good one. The only thing that has changed is the availability and price of used parts. All those cheap mods 15 years ago are basically non existent or are too expensive to make any sense. Body parts are even worse.

It used to be a stock 3rd member was free-$50 last time I needed one people were asking $250

The only somewhat available parts are 2nd and 3rd gen 4runner parts. Most of which are not of much use on the older trucks.

Like I said, it's still a good platform, just expect to spend a lot more than you would have 10-15 years ago.

On the flip side, some of the aftermarket parts have gotten more affordable.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 02-01-2020 at 11:28 AM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 11:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
depends on what you are doing with it.

I think they are cool, so i'd buy one

certainly wouldn't buy it "because wow, great deal" if you don't have a use or strong desire for it

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 39351
I would have loved to have bought a 4runner. They tend to be a little heavier than the pickups but like everyone said, there are better aftermarket parts out there for them. One plus is you have room for family and storage, but where do you want the spare? There are alot of options you have with 4runners so you do what your budget will allow.

Last edited by Mex-lego; 02-01-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Mex-lego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 703953
You basically need ifs donor vehicle to build it up too.

For the steering box, rear axle, extra tcase, front wheel hubs, rear springs (to swap in the front)

plus spare drive shaft parts and misc items.

I want another decent 4runner body to build.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
eat.sleep.wheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cruiser Driver

Member # 190268
$2800 for a California 4Runner is a good deal, you would not lose money in the long run. They are a good platform build on, depending on how much your "mild/moderate" build up you need. I build my daughters '85 as a moderate build, and I still replaced the Steering box, replaced the front spring hanger, 3" front springs (TG), Moved the rear spring hanger forward (longer Allpoo 4" springs) and a single 4.7 Transfer case. Lunch box lockers front & rear and 33" tires. That set me back decent amount of time & money, it's the little things that add up. The good news is it can do some of the Hammer trails, all of Big Bear trails, Dusy Ershim , Rubicon etc.

The first modification I would do is put armor on it before the body turns into a Raisin. just my .02$

JB
JB Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 219435
I probably should have updated my profile, they salt the roads where I live now. The 4Runner definitely has some rust in the rear fender wells, but has less rust than most 4x4's its age out here. I also found out that it has a slow/small leak where the oil pressure sending unit it is, the owner thinks the threads might have been damaged.

I'm still on the fence on this one, but deep down I know I want it. I just don't know if I'll get bored of the 4 banger, having always had 200-300hp at my disposal in the past.

Last edited by GraniteChief; 02-03-2020 at 03:58 PM.
GraniteChief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52396
If you get bored good chance you'll be able to get $2600 or more back out of it.

Alex123456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in