"new" old truck coming my way - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 882968
"new" old truck coming my way

Hi ya'll. just a little introduction as to why I'm here. A friend nearby who's an old cave crawling buddy has given me his old Toyota pickup, plan to bring it home Monday when I'll be past there with my other relatively recent truck acquisition (a '75 IH 2.5 ton truck I got from a fire station, just pulled the water tank off and bolted some timbers across the frame to haul logs, I will hand winch the toyota onto some planks on the bed to haul it home.) I think he said it was an '86 year model and he's had it since '88. Engine is dead or dismantled or both and he says it has a good bit of rust. I was busy cutting a tree in his yard and didn't do a close inspection so I don't know what the frame is like. Since it's been a local truck all it's life it might be OK, we get very little snow and very little salt used on the roads. If it turns out to be solid I figure to rebuild it and put it back to work as my own mountain farm work truck. I'm currently trying to get by with an old pathfinder and an Isuzu pickup with a diesel engine, both of which have their issues making them somewhat less than ideal for my needs. I need a small truck that has plenty of under clearance, can put serious mud tires on it and a winch, will do good in the serious mud we get, get around the mountain mud bog type roads on my place and the mountainside orchard and gardens, and still run to town for supplies and take loads of produce in for delivery at restaurants or farm markets. And I do not like computerized vehicles at all. The '93 pathfinder seems to have a mind of it's own, quite disgusting, it will sometimes lock itself while sitting there with everything turned off, I've had to force my way into it several times with wedge and rod, pry the door open just enough to slip a rod in and hit the unlock lever. And the Isuzu has too little under clearance, constantly getting hung up in the middle. I rebuilt a 2.6L engine for it then had sensor issues and couldn't figure it out, so pulled the engine and put an old Isuzu diesel in it from a chevette, but it's a real wimp climbing hills not really road compatible as is. I learned mechanics in the 80's working on 60's and 70's vehicles. While I've had very little experience working on toyota I did do some engine work on one once, replaced a head on one for a neighbour. Most of my vehicle mechanix has been with USA vehicles and the old Subaru and Isuzu of the late 70's to mid 80's.

Last edited by ReubenT; 03-21-2020 at 08:13 PM.
ReubenT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 213125
What the fuck are you babbling on about?

Last edited by Aisin; 03-21-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Ummmm
1 post wonder!?

O.P. 2 words
Build thread

Old 03-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 882968
If you don't like new comers to toyota restoration i will go away. Brought it home and it looks solid underneath so I'm fixin it up.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 79509
That's a cool story
Old 03-24-2020, 03:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 882968
In lookin it over and talking to the owner, (he's had it since 1988) Bed full of rust holes and rear bumper pretty rusted out but I can deal with that, otherwise looks pretty good. It looks like just what I been needing for my work. It appears it got to running pretty poorly, he took it to a mechanic and the potential repair bill was too much so he towed it home and left it sit, got a newer one. 4.5 years ago. So as soon as I get my track loader moved out of my shop I will move it in and start work on the engine. start with analysing it for issues, Check compression, etc. Since he couldn't tell me why it quit. I have a home shop with machining and foundry capability, I've turned cranks and bored engine blocks, fixing things is my speciality, I just don't usually do it for hire. I don't need looks and don't need it for sport, (although a little off roading isn't out of the picture entirely.) what I do need is the absolute best traction I can get, a winch for when it won't go, and a dump bed, for getting around my mountainside farm in all weather and hauling dirt and compost and such. Already have a spare 8000 winch, I'll get a simple slip sheet bed unloader from Northern to dump loose loads, but the tires I want will take some cash. I'll have to do a little logging for a neighbour lady to make some extra. She's been wanting to sell some trees. Super swamper TSL SX I guess looks like the best I could find. need to climb mountain mud tracks in soft mud so the more spaced out the lugs the better, the clay is sticky and gooey and fills lugs easy. It's been raining almost every day lately and it's really bad up there. But I'm working on fencing several acres to protect my orchard and gardens against deer consumption. The old pathfinder is just barely making it in and out and the old Isuzu is too low and too narrow tires even though it's 4x4 with mud tires. It doesn't do very well.

What I'm doing is settin up farming on my mountainside land in middle TN. near Spencer to be exact. 80 acres my folks bought cheap 34 years ago and turned it over to my brother and I. I've tried doing all sorts of things but always come back to growing good food as my favourite occupation, other than making things outa metal in my shop. I tried truck driving the last few years but decided it really isn't my kind of job. I've done plenty of logging but that's tough work and I'm getting tired of it.
Always loved gardenin and sort of grew up in it, so raising fresh fruits and veggies is gonna be my speciality now and use my shop to make supporting machines, and fix up this truck for more extreme off road capability as support for it.
Sport 4 weelin is fine, I've done my share of it in past years with an old dodge mostly. but right now practical use to help produce healthy food is the primary application.

Last edited by ReubenT; 03-24-2020 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Interesting, now this place and in particular the toyota section is focused on the hardcore side of recreational havoc style wheeling.
These guy's will eat their own, and have no problems letting ya know your shortcomings...

That said...
The chitchat or newbie section here, or book of faces may be a better fit if you're not posting build tech.

If you're able to self sustain on the land more power to ya.
Pics of shop,equipment,land, may buy ya some time.
We could use a good build thread.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 870390
I would honestly look into a cut Bogger to deal with that terrain over a TSL.
BBrecklin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 06:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 72479
Pics?
Old 03-25-2020, 04:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 882968
yah, Pics in time, when I figure out how to manipulate pics on my new puter, right now the truck is nothing to look at. Just ole blue, a common old '86 toy with rust holes in the bed and a rough looking bed cover with lichens growing on it. The bed cover is junk, bed is next door to junk but if it don't fall apart in use I'll use it. I'll have to replace the rear bumper with some sort of solid bar, it is about to fall apart and I'll need a hitch for trailers.

And yah, cut boggers would be the best I guess, but since we did the title transfer yesterday and have the tag for it now, I'm gonna use it on road as well so I better stay with something at least sort of highway compatible. Engine comes first, will start working on it in-between other things. if I weren't in the middle of the fencing project and coming up on time to plant stuff I'd go at it full time.

Quick look this morning and it's obvious why it quit, timing chain sloppy loose, it jumped teeth on the drive sprocket. Explains why he said it was running really bad before he gave up on in. And why the only thing removed is the cover, mechanic saw the loose timing chain and gave him a repair estimate, and it was more than he wanted to spend on it considering it's age. So looks like not too bad a repair job if that's all it is. I will get it in the shop in a few days and take the front end apart, see how much it slipped and get a new one on it.

Last edited by ReubenT; 03-25-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Be prepared for bent valves.
These little tractor engines run forever (hence the slipped chain) and people think if it starts it's golden...
Not a big $$$ investment.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 882968
I replaced bent valves in an Isuzu 2.6 once, wasn't hard. Ordered a Cloyes HD chain kit from the local Orielly's, pick it up in the mornin. I'll put the new chain on and check compression before puttin everything back together.

By the way it has 401,000 miles on the OD, he said the OD stopped working in '08 and he kept driving 7 more years ending August of 2015 at around 8,000 per year. making it around 450,000, and it's the 3rd engine in it.

Last edited by ReubenT; 03-26-2020 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReubenT View Post
I replaced bent valves in an Isuzu 2.6 once, wasn't hard. Ordered a Cloyes HD chain kit from the local Orielly's, pick it up in the mornin. I'll put the new chain on and check compression before puttin everything back together.

By the way it has 401,000 miles on the OD, he said the OD stopped working in '08 and he kept driving 7 more years ending August of 2015 at around 8,000 per year. making it around 450,000, and it's the 3rd engine in it.
Use postimmages.org to host pics. Hot link for forums. 19
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 882968
Thanks, I'll check on that site for pics. But on the truck, I was wrong, sort of. just guessing too far ahead. While the timing chain was maxed out on it's tensioner and a bit loose, it had not jumped teeth yet. So I put the new one on and pulled the spark plugs to check compression, oh the plugs!! burned way back, huge gaps. They could easily have been the culprit for it running out of go. Compression is OK. But the week is about finished and I got other stuff to do, so call it off till next week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in