Tech Tip: FREE Starter fix - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2004, 09:39 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 10177
I started to notice that my 85 i just bought several months ago does the same thing.
The only problem is that when it does start cranking it wont wanna fire up or when it does fire up it runs like crap. BTW when it does start cranking i can smell gas which tells me the injectors are cycling, but no spark.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Yup

Member # 28236
Mine does the same thing, I think that when you get the click click and no cranking the injectors or the cold start injector at least are being activated and cause some flooding. That would explain the gas smell, hard start and the running like crap. After a few revs it runs fine. I have yet to try this starter fix, but am very hopeful it will resolve the problem.

If it's not already there, this thread should be in the FAQ!

Blackflag4x4.com
smurfield.com
Yup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2004, 10:59 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 10177
I second that if it's not already in the FAQ

Old 12-02-2004, 11:07 AM   #29 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
My 88 4runner was in a flood up to the steering wheel and would intermittently not start. I just did this mod and it starts every time. Thanks! DMG
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2004, 01:27 PM   #30 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
Glad I could help
Big_Ern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 93592
anyone have a pic of where the starter relay is, or a better description than "passenger fender" i've looked at my truck and in haynes, but no luck.

thanks, Andrew
trialspro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
What year is your truck?

On my '89 3.0L 4runner it was in the middle of the fender, bolted to the outter wall (not laying down on the fender)

I don't have that truck to take a better look or a pic, and my current Toy is a first gen without the relay.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Ern View Post
On my '89 3.0L 4runner it was in the middle of the fender, bolted to the outter wall (not laying down on the fender)
My '86 22re was the same too. Metal capped relay all by itself. I believe it even says "starter relay" right on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 93592
my truck is a 1990 with the 22re. I searched the pass. fender again, nothing other than the large fuse block.
I just put new contacts in my starter today, so i'm hoping to do this mod as well to make them last.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #35 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
My '86 22re was the same too. Metal capped relay all by itself. I believe it even says "starter relay" right on it.
Yup, it does say "Starter Relay" on it. Can't be much simpler than that

Andrew, try to follow the small wire up from the starter and see where it goes. Maybe Toyota relocated the relay on 3rd gens

Last edited by Big_Ern; 11-28-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:02 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 87509
also check the fusible link they are cheap and were the source of all my starting issues included low cranking power flooding etc

on the passenger side under the hood 60 amp also pit a new terminal on it mine was worn out

also check this out

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ne_Pix/17.html
jakindle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #37 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Send a message via AIM to steveh
Big, your a fawking Genius!!!!! I was about ready to pull the starter on my 88 V6, and saw this pop back up. Hmmmmmm,,,,, lets check this out.

Ran a few jumpers to see if it was indeed a lack of current via the stock wiring, and sure enough, it was!! Your fix was all that is needed to quit having to park on a hill like a Volkswagen .....

Took about 15 minutes from start to finish!

Thanks dOOd!!!!!

"Wow this is unbelievable"

steveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
Glad to see people are still reading this and it helping fix their starting issues.

Maybe it should be added or linked in the FAQ??

Now what special rights do I get for helping a cranky mod?
Old 12-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #39 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
LOL!!! Here ya go:

Old 12-02-2007, 07:53 AM   #40 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Quote:
Now what special rights do I get for helping a cranky mod?
Ern, PM me your mailing address and I will send you a couple Collector Edition Pirate4x4.com Stickers.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 52554
what denotes the "top"? the litle fastener on the connector or the little ride where the "neckdown" is?

I figured it out....the fastener denotes the "top"

Last edited by toyota88; 12-02-2007 at 03:42 PM.
toyota88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 16578
I did the #4 wire straight to the + battery post.So far so good.Before running the stereo or not starting it right on the first turn of the key causes my 2wd 22re 91 Toyota not to start.Many times had to kick start it.
The starting relay is located on the driver panel and it says "starter relay".Finding the wire is tricky but I matched up the male diagram and went ahead by cutting and soldering the #4 wire to the battery.
I changed the key ignition,battery,checked starter contacts looked fine.
Thanks for the tech modification.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:02 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 93592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackulua View Post
The starting relay is located on the driver panel and it says "starter relay"
ahhh ok, is this under the hood, or under the dash?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #44 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
Under the hood. Mine was on the passenger fender ('89 V6 4Runner), but I guess other year & engines must of had them on the driverside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Ern, PM me your mailing address and I will send you a couple Collector Edition Pirate4x4.com Stickers.
Done. Thanks Steve

What do the collectors edition stickers look like? Any chance of a Toy forum p4x4 sticker?? Those are pimp.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
I fixed the pic by uploading through pirate with my redstar so it won't disapear if my webspace disapears

(I gots a speel checker so I can sleep guder now too )

Did this as a trail fix on a friend's 4runner (22re) the otherday when her starter died in the middle of the trail.

Last edited by Big_Ern; 11-25-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 109780
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialspro View Post
my truck is a 1990 with the 22re. I searched the pass. fender again, nothing other than the large fuse block.
I just put new contacts in my starter today, so i'm hoping to do this mod as well to make them last.
1990 4Runner, 22RE same problem. Did you ever find it? There is the fuse box (don't think so, but its in the right place), and then a near the airbox (driver's side fender) 2"x2" black box that is marked with + sign so it looks like this [+] with two bigger wires coming out of it. Gonna try to trace the wire from the starter itself.

I linked this thread to yotatech. http://www.yotatech.com/f116/tech-ti...er-fix-160948/
Matt16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #47 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
3rd gen's are most likely different. The relay might be in a different place or they might not have it. You'd have to check an FSM for your truck to see if the wiring diagram for the starter system is similar.

Trace the small solenoid wire bac from the starter to see where it goes if you can. This will goto the relay (if there is one).

Can you edit your post to include a link to this post? I'm not on yotatech, so the guys could post their questions here instead. Tell them to ask their questions here too and I'll do my best to answer them
Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 109780
Quote:
3rd gen's are most likely different. The relay might be in a different place or they might not have it. You'd have to check an FSM for your truck to see if the wiring diagram for the starter system is similar.

Trace the small solenoid wire bac from the starter to see where it goes if you can. This will goto the relay (if there is one).

Can you edit your post to include a link to this post? I'm not on yotatech, so the guys could post their questions here instead. Tell them to ask their questions here too and I'll do my best to answer them
Oh hey, you're in Langley? I'm in N. Van. Cool.

I thought I did link it back, but I see I forgot, fixed it now. Great writeup by the way. The 1990 4Runner FSM says "The [starter] relay is located in the No. 1 junction box on the drivers side." That really isn't all that helpful. I went out and had a look in the engine bay (the write up says you used 2 feet of wire, I inferred the relay is near the battery). There is the fuse box (don't think so, but its in the right place), and then a near the airbox (driver's side fender) 2"x2" black box that is marked with + sign so it looks like this [+] with two bigger wires coming out of it, its black plastic an does not look like any relay I've ever seen. Today I took apart the glove box thinking it might be back there, there is only a 5 pin EFI or ECU relay (pulled it but the engine started up and ran badly like when you pull the EFI fuse). I looked in by the drivers' footwell fusebox and didn't see anything that looked big enough to be a starter relay..

I think i'm going to find Jimmy Hoffa in my truck before I find the relay. I haven't traced the wires off the starter yet as I have a York compressor obstructing any real view (changing the oil filter is a major pain now). I will pull the starter access cover in the p-side wheel well to see what I can later, but any info on the 1990 relay location would be appreciated.

Last edited by Matt16; 12-08-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Matt16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 85972
as far as the female / male connector goes, which is female and which is male? the plastic body has male terminals inside the female body, and vice versa. i want to make sure i cut the right wire. nice thread btw, it will save me some $ and grief.

here's what my question pertains to from post #1.
Female:
___
---------
| 1 | 2 |
---------
| 3 | 4 |
---------

Male:
___
---------
| 2 | 1 |
---------
| 4 | 3 |
---------
nevermind, i found the right wire. the "male plug" is the male connector plug, not the terminals. just wanted to make sure. now that that is done and working, i found that i need some new contacts for the solenoid. anyone have a good source? thanx.

And yes I still have lots of build parts for sale! New website coming soon!

Last edited by billybob13; 12-08-2008 at 06:24 PM.
billybob13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16789
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob13 View Post
as far as the female / male connector goes, which is female and which is male? the plastic body has male terminals inside the female body, and vice versa. i want to make sure i cut the right wire. nice thread btw, it will save me some $ and grief.

here's what my question pertains to from post #1.
Female:
___
---------
| 1 | 2 |
---------
| 3 | 4 |
---------

Male:
___
---------
| 2 | 1 |
---------
| 4 | 3 |
---------
nevermind, i found the right wire. the "male plug" is the male connector plug, not the terminals. just wanted to make sure. now that that is done and working, i found that i need some new contacts for the solenoid. anyone have a good source? thanx.
How about a spare starter?? Give me a call. I've got one for you if you need one.
montezuma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in