Tech Tip: FREE Starter fix - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 85972
Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma View Post
How about a spare starter?? Give me a call. I've got one for you if you need one.
thanx mang. i'll be picking it up soon.

And yes I still have lots of build parts for sale! New website coming soon!
billybob13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 120014
I just did this today and so far it's started right up every time. After replacing three starters and contacts, battery cables, and grounds, hopefully this is it. Thanks
RVA4X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 11:49 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 109780
is this it???

Matt16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 01:19 AM   #54 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt16 View Post
Oh hey, you're in Langley? I'm in N. Van. Cool.

I thought I did link it back, but I see I forgot, fixed it now. Great writeup by the way. The 1990 4Runner FSM says "The [starter] relay is located in the No. 1 junction box on the drivers side." That really isn't all that helpful. I went out and had a look in the engine bay (the write up says you used 2 feet of wire, I inferred the relay is near the battery). There is the fuse box (don't think so, but its in the right place), and then a near the airbox (driver's side fender) 2"x2" black box that is marked with + sign so it looks like this [+] with two bigger wires coming out of it, its black plastic an does not look like any relay I've ever seen. Today I took apart the glove box thinking it might be back there, there is only a 5 pin EFI or ECU relay (pulled it but the engine started up and ran badly like when you pull the EFI fuse). I looked in by the drivers' footwell fusebox and didn't see anything that looked big enough to be a starter relay..

I think i'm going to find Jimmy Hoffa in my truck before I find the relay. I haven't traced the wires off the starter yet as I have a York compressor obstructing any real view (changing the oil filter is a major pain now). I will pull the starter access cover in the p-side wheel well to see what I can later, but any info on the 1990 relay location would be appreciated.
Yup, I'm in Langley. You on any of the local boards too? Sign up on Crawlin'BC if you haven't already and are looking for some good local wheeling

that black box you found doesn't sound like it. Mine was clearly labeled with "Starter relay" right on it. kill your battery enough that it gets the the point that its makes the *click* but doesn't start and see if you can tell where the *click* is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob13 View Post
as far as the female / male connector goes, which is female and which is male? the plastic body has male terminals inside the female body, and vice versa. i want to make sure i cut the right wire. nice thread btw, it will save me some $ and grief.

nevermind, i found the right wire. the "male plug" is the male connector plug, not the terminals. just wanted to make sure. now that that is done and working, i found that i need some new contacts for the solenoid. anyone have a good source? thanx.
Yup. Thats what I meant by male & female. The plug itself, not the wires inside.

Contacts are only a few bucks from toyota. I think they were only about $10 each back when I was hassling with mine before I did this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA4X View Post
I just did this today and so far it's started right up every time. After replacing three starters and contacts, battery cables, and grounds, hopefully this is it. Thanks
I did the sme to my old 4runner before I figured out this relay fix which solved the problem forever - I never had to touch the starter again as long as I owned it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt16 View Post
is this it???
That doesn't look like it. Mine was a metal cased relay kinda gold/yellow color with "Starter Relay" labeled on it.

How many wires does it have going out of it? Get out your test light and see if it matches up with what the diagram says it should be doing when you try to start it (pull your coil wire or something so it doesn't actually start when you test it)

'80 Toy - Longs, duals w/ D300, welded F&R w/ hydro assist, beadlocked & grooved 36" SX's
Big_Ern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 125198
Hey Big Ern, thanks a whole bunch for posting this, i was having the same issues, rebuilt the starter had a shop take a looksie, they couldnt figure it out then i tried what you did here...works perfect every time now thanks a bunch
bloodyscrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
Glad it helped ya

'80 Toy - Longs, duals w/ D300, welded F&R w/ hydro assist, beadlocked & grooved 36" SX's
Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #57 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 40695
In my 1990 the relay is at the drivers feet, about a 1" cube, green relay marked starter relay. I have no clue how I'm going to get to it, its in a very nasty spot. Couldn't be more wedged into the kickpanel if it tried.

250-248-6024

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NorthWestFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 33725
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWestFab View Post
In my 1990 the relay is at the drivers feet, about a 1" cube, green relay marked starter relay. I have no clue how I'm going to get to it, its in a very nasty spot. Couldn't be more wedged into the kickpanel if it tried.
Did you ever figure this out for the third gen? It'd be nice if there was a solution since more and more 3rd gens are built over the oldies. I only post because I have a friend trying to figure out the same thing and I'm not doing the work to figure it out
Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 60440
Great! I will have to give this a shot. I'm glad this was bumped up. Just last night I was thinking how my truck was starting good then this morning I got the click click click again. I love this forum
Captainpolution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 80545
I am going to have to take a look at this...mine is clicking more than it is starting here lately.
dieseltweaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 140312
My relay is next to the clutch on the drivers kick panel. Instead of trying to cut into the harness, I'm planning on running some jumpers from where the relay used to be to another location. I'll run a wire from the battery with a fuse through the firewall and to the hot side of the relay. Figuring out a place to mount it will be the tricky part I think. I'll try to post some pics when I get it done.

While I'm at it, I might as well add a always hot lighter outlet. I don't like the switched ones.

Last edited by sometoyotaguy; 08-12-2009 at 07:17 AM.
sometoyotaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 05:34 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 140312
Smile Starter Relay Fix For In-Cab Relays

This is what I did to bypass the ignition switch for the starter solenoid, and just run the relay coil from the ignition switch.

I made 3 12" long jumpers.

Then I had to check to see which side of the relay the Ignition switch was on. The opposite side would be connected to the starter solenoid.

I connected the jumpers to the relay.

Then Tucked it up out of the way. I think I need some velcro or something here to keep it in place.

The Hot wire from the battery went through the firewall where the hood latch cable feeds through.

I added a fuse block just in case.

I don't have a pic of it connected to the battery, but that's pretty obvious.

Enjoy :-)
sometoyotaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 400
Thanks for posting the details.
Jay
ROKTOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 54522
my starter wouldnt make a sound every now and then. i put new contacts in it and crimped the small wire terminal closed a bit and its worked good for the past 5-6 months. its an original toyota starter with about 230K on it.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 40236
Thank you!!! I have the same problem. i started by replacing the contacts and when it still did it i though it may be the cable itself but its in good shape. I'm going to do this when i get home so the neighbors wont see me outside with a hammer tapping the starter in the morning anymore haha.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 10379
I got a 87
22re motor
I am guessing this is the starter relay
no numbers for wires, does have 4 wires
wire from starter goes into harness , hard to follow
clicks when you try to start it, is on passenger side
anyone confirm what this it
it doesn't say
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fabricator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 54522
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
I got a 87
22re motor
I am guessing this is the starter relay
no numbers for wires, does have 4 wires
wire from starter goes into harness , hard to follow
clicks when you try to start it, is on passenger side
anyone confirm what this it
it doesn't say
thats what the one looks like on my 86 runner with 22re
Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #68 (permalink)
e

Member # 3709
Where is the starter relay on an 86 runner 22r tec? I've looked on the passenger fender and the driver and passenger side kick panels, however I haven't been able to locate it. I found the open circuit relay in the pass kick panel and a hear a clicking under the plenum in the engine, but I've been unable to find the relay. I'm wondering if the early 22re turbo's didn't have the starter relay.
e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 89862
Fabricator - that is it.. mine is the same , says starter relay on it.

Female:
___
---------
| 1 | 2 |
---------
| 3 | 4 |
--------
OK this is what i thought..
looking into the female side of the plug. is what they mean. Female being the plug side closest to the battery.
1 - blk red
2 - blk white
3 and 4 are blk.

But when i hooked the black wire under the black/white wire up to the battery the solenoid was clicked on constantly and it did not work.. So that is not right..
Anyone tell me the right wire?
or what is the top of the plug? not the clasp? is that the bottom?

Last edited by dog8123; 05-16-2010 at 11:24 AM.
dog8123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 25450
6 year old thread solves a problem that has been bugging me for the last couple of years on two trucks.

Did this fix last month, truck has had no problems starting since.

Thanks!
n2frodn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #71 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
glad this is still helping people

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8123 View Post
Fabricator - that is it.. mine is the same , says starter relay on it.

Female:
___
---------
| 1 | 2 |
---------
| 3 | 4 |
--------
OK this is what i thought..
looking into the female side of the plug. is what they mean. Female being the plug side closest to the battery.
1 - blk red
2 - blk white
3 and 4 are blk.

But when i hooked the black wire under the black/white wire up to the battery the solenoid was clicked on constantly and it did not work.. So that is not right..
Anyone tell me the right wire?
or what is the top of the plug? not the clasp? is that the bottom?
The clasp that clicks the two plugs together is the top of the plug in the diagram. don't know which side is closest to the battery, but the female is the side of the plug that has the 4 slots that the 4 prongs of the other (male) plug slide into.

If you cut one of the black wires, connected it to the battery and the relay was always on, you cut the wrong black wire - you cut #3. Reconnect this one back up and cut the other black wire to connect to the battery and it will work.

If you cut one of the two black wires not knowing which is which there is a 50/50 chance it is the right one... In these situations you always pick the wrong one first
Try again, the other will work

Last edited by Big_Ern; 05-17-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 33933
Great help guys!! I had this problem and I have replace everthing, starter, wres battery. the works! My 85 22RE did not have the relay so I added it in an wow I am so happy could just sh*t

Thanks for the info guys Good work
Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 214016
It's been awhile since anyone has been on this thread but it has been very informative. Great fix Big, I am thinking about trying it out but I wanted some advice first. I have a similar starting problem with my 87 4runner but slightly different.

Most of the time when I turn the key my radio and tach come on etc. but I DO NOT get a click. If I mess around and turn alarm on/off or windshield wipers or whatever (probably coincidental) and turn the key back and forth eventually I will get the 'click!' from my starter relay and the starter will crank and start the engine. I've also noticed that the check engine light will not come on at first but as soon as I mess around with it and get it to the point it will start the check engine light will come on (even before I crank it just with key in on position)

I have checked continuity in my starter relay as per FSM and it functioned as it should have. I also ran wires to two pins on the relay straight from my battery and had it 'click' (work) every time. Does this sound like maybe I'm not getting enough power to the relay to get it to function? Any suggestions?

Is it possibly my immobilizer acting up?
Tugboat10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 189183
Thanks for the wright up. I have put four starters on mine and been left stuck on the trails because of my starter. Once I was stuck on a steep incline with trees behind me where I couldn't even roll back down out of it. The recent "new" starter began doing what all the rest did with the dam clicking. I quit driving it on the street because of it. Tonight I did this mod and it works like a champ. Thanks again...
teamwir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #75 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 25661
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwir View Post
Thanks for the wright up. I have put four starters on mine and been left stuck on the trails because of my starter. Once I was stuck on a steep incline with trees behind me where I couldn't even roll back down out of it. The recent "new" starter began doing what all the rest did with the dam clicking. I quit driving it on the street because of it. Tonight I did this mod and it works like a champ. Thanks again...
Glad this is still helping people

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in