27 vs. 30 spline longfields - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2004, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2931
27 vs. 30 spline longfields

im ordering a custom axle housing and require a custom set of axles. ive got 3 old ring style longfields. if i bought the 30 spline bobby long stuff, id have NO spares. if i bought the 27 spline stuff id have a bunch of spares, birfs at least...

ive never broken a 'super birf' in any way associated with the splines. ive ripped the stub shaft in 2, 'expanded' up the bell and ring, blew up cages, but NEVER anything specific to the condition of the 27 splines. whos fubared the splines and has reason for me to risk not having spares and stepping up to bobbys 30 spline stuff instead of the 27? it saves a bit of coin to buy the 27 spline version as well, and im already investing another $1500 in an already built toy front...
Old 12-08-2004, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 17479
Location: shady acers instatution for the criminaly insane. El Dorado Hills, CA
Send a message via Yahoo to yota83
hey paul,
ive never seen anything with birf or shaft splines failing..
ive never had any problems with it...
i just shatter the bells or twist the shafts and leave the splines in the birf..
83 toyota truggy, bed bobbed to 60" and dovetailed, 22-r, W56, MC07 #2306, 5.1 rear case, 38" TSL's, longfeild beadlocks, 63'' chevy rear, 44044 front, 30 spline longfeilds, tru-track front, spool rear, 5:29's, lots of tubing, ect...

Ryan Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2004, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
The only thing I ever did to an axle was to round over the splines when the star cracked and allowed the axle to slip in the star, this was with a stock Birfield, yes I use to run Birfields about four years ago!!!!

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6020
I'd go with the 27 spline 4340's. That should solve the stub problems and if you ever want to go 30 splines just change out the star.

I've busted the stubs off 2 birfs but never hurt the bell or splines.

Last edited by yarddog; 12-08-2004 at 06:39 PM.
yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Weldz
im ordering a custom axle housing and require a custom set of axles. ive got 3 old ring style longfields. if i bought the 30 spline bobby long stuff, id have NO spares. if i bought the 27 spline stuff id have a bunch of spares, birfs at least...

ive never broken a 'super birf' in any way associated with the splines. ive ripped the stub shaft in 2, 'expanded' up the bell and ring, blew up cages, but NEVER anything specific to the condition of the 27 splines. whos fubared the splines and has reason for me to risk not having spares and stepping up to bobbys 30 spline stuff instead of the 27? it saves a bit of coin to buy the 27 spline version as well, and im already investing another $1500 in an already built toy front...
damn paul- i think you should consider investing $1500.00 in a d60f before investing $1500.oo in a toy axle.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless steal dave
damn paul- i think you should consider investing $1500.00 in a d60f before investing $1500.oo in a toy axle.
you got one for sale???????
Old 12-08-2004, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 15061
The reason we came out with the 30 spline inners, when you break an inner axle stock or chromoly sometimes the shock load takes out the locker, this has happened to me and others.
Longfield is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
what ever you do even if it is one off custom 300m bling high dollar shiat .......get spares or have a way to jimmy rig a spare in it. every thing breaks, and usually when you are really really stuck

oh and by the way. i have fubared the splines on my 300m pigs. nothong a very small grinder could not fix but i also had a spare just in case.

inserst pic here....LOL i can't find the pic right now but it was funny, splinning a axle on the lake bed with a cordless drill and a cut off wheel.

Old 12-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfield
The reason we came out with the 30 spline inners, when you break an inner axle stock or chromoly sometimes the shock load takes out the locker, this has happened to me and others.

all my inners have broke at the Cclip groove, blew a detroit as well. you can get your 4340 inners any length?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo
what ever you do even if it is one off custom 300m bling high dollar shiat .......get spares or have a way to jimmy rig a spare in it. every thing breaks, and usually when you are really really stuck

oh and by the way. i have fubared the splines on my 300m pigs. nothong a very small grinder could not fix but i also had a spare just in case.

inserst pic here....LOL i can't find the pic right now but it was funny, splinning a axle on the lake bed with a cordless drill and a cut off wheel.

i think that pic has been in a magazine a couple years back?? there was a tin bender member who flat towed a BIG grey 4runner with a stock red toyota truck as well?? crazy cool...
Old 12-08-2004, 07:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo

I remember that picture, all it needed was a big shade tree with a tire swing and I would have swore you were in Tennessee!!!!

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

Last edited by OOP'S; 12-08-2004 at 07:31 PM.
OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 20208
Location: Pollock Pines, but dont worry, I decided to keep my full set of teeth, unlike most everyone else up here...
Paul, you WOULD have spares if you kept the 27 spline inners and outers. Unless you got custom length stuff, than you wouldnt have spare inners no matter what.
IMO, I think with the 30 spline stuff, youd have to carry a spare 3rd and hubs before youd have to carry spare axles any way....
Old 12-08-2004, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfab
Paul, you WOULD have spares if you kept the 27 spline inners and outers. Unless you got custom length stuff, than you wouldnt have spare inners no matter what.
IMO, I think with the 30 spline stuff, youd have to carry a spare 3rd and hubs before youd have to carry spare axles any way....

im willing to gamble on the axle shafts, not the birfs. ive been doint good on third carnage since the switch to 4.88's. i used to carry a spare geared and locked third with me, but never broke. i sold it one day and the next wheeling trip i shredded a front 5.29...damn luck...
Old 12-08-2004, 07:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 18535
Send a message via AIM to wv4runner
Paul, I thought you just bought a 44? Whats going on?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv4runner
Paul, I thought you just bought a 44? Whats going on?

dana 44 stuff never panned out, one guy flaked on me, the other had a couple broken axle parts in it or something...
Old 12-08-2004, 08:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
I brought the beer

Member # 10203
Send a message via ICQ to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via AIM to JeepRecoveryTeam Send a message via Yahoo to JeepRecoveryTeam
Quote:
there was a tin bender member who flat towed a BIG grey 4runner with a stock red toyota truck as well?? crazy cool...
That's Krusty, and he still tows that way. Even better, he towed that way to Big Bear
JeepRecoveryTeam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 09:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
you got one for sale???????
got 2 d60f and 1 d70f and 2 partial do70f fronts but none are for sale at this time. also got most of the pieces for a s.s. d60f for the silver bullet. you should have asked last year- sold a d60f chevy to a mechanic i work with for 1200.00 and then built it for him for free as a training exercise so he could learn how to setup ring and pinions,, rebuild a powerlock, rebuild front kingpins,check the axles to make sure they are straight etc. maybe i'll post the pic's when i build cliff's open knuckle d70f his toyota. i can help ya build a 60f if you would like...........
Old 12-08-2004, 09:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14437
Not to be "that guy" who tells you something you didn't ask, but why throw an additional $1500 at an axle that you probably already have that much into? It's a lot of money to gain mimimal strength, be limited in gearing, and limited to tire size down the road. At least that was the reasoning I went through before I started dropping coin on the 1 ton stuff.

Hey BTW, theres a bunch of guys heading up the hill on News Year day for some snow wheeling, I'm probably riding 8itch with one of my buddies since my truck is back to a pile of parts in the drive way, but if you're up for it Paul, let me know.
freds40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 09:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless steal dave
got 2 d60f and 1 d70f and 2 partial do70f fronts but none are for sale at this time. also got most of the pieces for a s.s. d60f for the silver bullet. you should have asked last year- sold a d60f chevy to a mechanic i work with for 1200.00 and then built it for him for free as a training exercise so he could learn how to setup ring and pinions,, rebuild a powerlock, rebuild front kingpins,check the axles to make sure they are straight etc. maybe i'll post the pic's when i build cliff's open knuckle d70f his toyota. i can help ya build a 60f if you would like...........

im not having a prob finding a $900-1000 60f, its the $700 arb, $600 hysteer, $250 5.88's and setup, $150 shortened longside axle, $100 kingpin rebuild, $350 35spline outter upgrade, $matching 5.88/welded disc brake rear axle, new 8lug wheels and tires.....
Old 12-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14437
Quote:
im not having a prob finding a $900-1000 60f, its the $700 arb, $600 hysteer, $250 5.88's and setup, $150 shortened longside axle, $100 kingpin rebuild, $350 35spline outter upgrade, $matching 5.88/welded disc brake rear axle, new 8lug wheels and tires.....
This is the route I went and saved a bit o cash:
Get a Dodge axle with stock drive flanges.
Flanges broached and 2 35 spline outers $195
Leave the axle fullwidth and rework your shackles and hangers -$150
Cross your fingers that you don't need a kingpin rebuild -$100
And I have an extra set of installed but never run 5.89s $100

There, I just saved ya $555 so quit bitching and start buying.
freds40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2004, 09:58 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 15043
Quote:
forget the $700.00 arb. bought a d60 powerlock at pnp for $50.00. 35 spline conversion kit approx. $250.00-all internals new. forget $600.00 high steer- g.m. 1 ton t.r.e. $40.00 each x 4 = $ 160.00. approx $150-175.00 for steel for high steer arms and tie rod/ draglink. forget the 35 spline outer upgrade- the powerlock clutchs will slip so you don't break so much stuff. free machine work/ welding. you have to shop for parts and keep me in beer. a 6 lug 60 may offset the price of new 8 lug tires rims . depends on what you want. if ya cruise the venders section or pay someone to do your building/thinking for you it gets very expen$ive. we already have the skills and a machine shop to build it.............
Old 12-09-2004, 01:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
a2b

Member # 22547
ya i just got my 4340 27 spline in last week. i already have spares and stuff. i didnt want to go 30 and render all my spares useless.
a2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2004, 05:47 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 4622
I would and went the 27 spline route. Same reasoning.

I have my old Longs I took out as spares, got some innards from Yarddog from the stubs he broke so I could rebuild my broken profield, and a buddies other broken Long and put new innards in them, plus a stock birfield, So I have 5 spare birfs, 4 being Longfields, and 2 full sets of stock shafts. I think I am covered.

And as others have said. upgrade to 30 spline stars later if need be. I have already proved the worth of the 27's with pigs shaft. I am feeling really good about these Longfields. I like Pigs axles, and am sure Bobby's would hold up just as well.

Glad you are sticking with Toy stuff. It is and always will get better with new products, just like the 60. Which makes either $$$$.

Can't feel bad either way. I have fun.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 3933
Did you know that the 27 and 30 spline Chromos Longs are identical except the star. And since the hole required for 30 spline is bigger than 27 spline, that actually makes the 27 spline star stronger.... So as the birf is concerned, 27 spline is stronger.

For me I ordered 27 spline Pigs and once they showed up (2 months later) I tore apart my front end only to find out my longs were toast and needed to be replaced. So I went and got a set of 27 chromos. Well now I got more dollars wrapped up in axles and birfs than if I just went straight to 30 spline.... but for me, I've yet to even break a stock inner, so the 27 chromo inners should be good for my application.

Basically I look at it this way.....
If you have 35" Tires (or bigger) and a crawler or a motor swap, then you need old school Longs.
If you play hard on the rocks and like to hop the rig or often get bound up, you need old school longs chromo inners.
If you have broken a inner shaft, then you should have chromo 27 spline Longs and chromo inners.
If you have broken a Long, then you should probably have 30 spline Longs and inners......
Thats pretty much my opinoin how how you should go.
For me I've never broke a long or an inner, but my the rings did crack off the old school longs..... So I'm now at 27 spline longs and pig chromo inners. Also when I say Long I'm not refering to that Pro-field crap!
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2004, 08:05 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 4622
Oh Rick you know EVERYBODY NEEDS CHROMOLY LONGS!
Some just choose not too.

I had never broken an inner either.
I have also never broken a longfield. Got lucky there though. swapped them out before I could. Go figure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in