22R to 22RE swap FAQ - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 24837
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRunner
I have an 83. THe head does not work for EFI manifold.
then it's an '82 head, or it's been swapped. an '83-84 head should have the bosses and holes for the EFI manifold.

and carb/efi cams are the same, i think turbo engines got a hotter cam though(marlin runs one in his truck)
kyle_22r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
just curious if somebody can verify the use of the celica pump.

the one i just bought is from a 83 celica part #e8000.
anybody else use this pump ?

if so is it a self priming unit ?

Old 02-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 30087
Send a message via MSN to Izeloz
Much of the information on this FAQ was turned up using search. I tried to verify everything with at least three separate sources, but some of my info. is heresay. The Celica pump I have heard of others using is mounted on the frame rail via a bracket with rubber vibration/proofing. It is self-priming. However, I don't know all the details. Anyone who has used this pump, let us know. Also, if you have personal experience that differs from any of the facts in this FAQ, please let me know and I will get them changed.
Izeloz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 24724
Send a message via Yahoo to NY_crawler
I am going to be doing a swap here soon on my 85. I took the EFI head off the other truck and plan to rebuild it and then just swap out heads when I do the entire sawp. I heard that the pistons on the 22R were diffrent from 22RE. Would I have any problems with this. I would not want to put on a new head and have the pistons hit the head. Thanks in advance.
NY_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2005, 05:25 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 29718
Send a message via ICQ to 2RowTC4Runner Send a message via MSN to 2RowTC4Runner Send a message via Yahoo to 2RowTC4Runner
It's not a 22R / 22RE thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_crawler
I am going to be doing a swap here soon on my 85. I took the EFI head off the other truck and plan to rebuild it and then just swap out heads when I do the entire sawp. I heard that the pistons on the 22R were diffrent from 22RE. Would I have any problems with this. I would not want to put on a new head and have the pistons hit the head. Thanks in advance.
It's a year thing. 81-84 are "doughnut" top pistons, 85+ are flat pistons. So as long as both motors are 85+ your OK.

More info available in the "Toyota Links" section on my site:
http://web.ncf.ca/ez273/
2RowTC4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2005, 07:45 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 29718
Send a message via ICQ to 2RowTC4Runner Send a message via MSN to 2RowTC4Runner Send a message via Yahoo to 2RowTC4Runner
Duration is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtruck66
What is different about the EFI cam and Carb cam? Are the lobes different?
For 1975 and up 20R's and non EFI 22R's:

Intake Duration- 272 degrees
Exhaust Duration- 248 degrees
Intake Lift- 10.1 mm
Exhaust Lift- 9.7 mm

For EFI 22R's:

Intake Duration- 248 degrees
Exhaust Duration- 280 degrees
Intake Lift- 10.0 mm
Exhaust Lift- 9.7 mm

Info from this link: http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/...toy_motor.html
Old 02-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
then it's an '82 head, or it's been swapped. an '83-84 head should have the bosses and holes for the EFI manifold.

and carb/efi cams are the same, i think turbo engines got a hotter cam though(marlin runs one in his truck)
It is definatly an 83 head. My brother also has an 83. It also does not have the holes for the EFI manifold.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No trucks right now!!!
1993 Toyota Supra - big single
1993 SC400 - M90 Supercharged,
1994 GS300 - 916whp 4door family car sleeper
2002 Sequoia - wifes car
SuperRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 29718
Your brother must have had his head swapped too

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRunner
It is definatly an 83 head. My brother also has an 83. It also does not have the holes for the EFI manifold.
After reading all the literature on what head I would need to put EFI on my 20R motor, I bought an '83 head at a wrecker. It had all the holes needed for either carbureted or EFI intakes. Unfortunately it had a worn out cam race that I hadnít noticed. I returned it and bought an í84 head from someone else. It was exactly the same. 83 and 84 are identical.

This article called "Evolution of the R-series" confirms what Kyle_22R and I are saying.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar119838.htm
Old 02-08-2005, 09:36 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 2058
Send a message via ICQ to Foxfab Send a message via AIM to Foxfab Send a message via Yahoo to Foxfab
If you're looking for an aftermarket external electric fuel pump, you want the E2000 which has barbs for rubber fuel lines.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:36 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 24724
Does the head gasket set include all the gaskets you need including all the injector seals and all the gaskets for the fuel lines?
Old 03-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 21771
I used the gasket set from www.engnbldr.com when I rebuilt my 22re. It didn't enclude injector o-rings. I replaced my fuel filter at the same time and I think the gaskets for that came with the fliter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yoda0395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 10:03 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner
the injector connectors, injectors, and the EFI resistor changed from 87 to 88. they are NOT interchangable.
I'm using an '88 EFI resistor on '85 injectors. No problems....

To expand further, I have an '85 22RE that is using an '88 wiring harness with the injector connectors changed to fit the '85 injectors, all hooked up to an '85 2WD pickup ECU.

Last edited by Bad Karma; 03-25-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2005, 11:55 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 26779
Send a message via ICQ to 88 Runner SAS
I don't remember the numbers on duration from intake and exhaust, but yes from an efi cam to carbed they almost switched them around. It'll run on a carbed cam but poorly.
88 Runner SAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 24724
Is there a way to splice in the rubber EFI fuel line that leads to the fuel filter to the hard fuel lines that are already in there or do I need to get hard EFI lines with the thread at the end?
Old 04-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 30087
You should be able to use standard rubber fuel line and just use proper size hose clamps tightened down tight.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 24724
Or would it be easier to cut the flare thats on the line slip a union over it and reflare it and then screw the union into the rubber EFI line going to the fuel filter?
This seems like it would be the best way. If I can do this what type of flare do I need to use?

I was just searching and saw something about using compression fittings. These might work but I don't know how to use them. Can some one explain how I would have to use the compression fitting instead of flaring? Is it just cut the flare off, slip on the compression fitting and tighten then connect the rubber EFI line to the compression fitting?
So it would be stock hard line to compression fitting to rubber EFI line.

Last edited by NY_crawler; 04-01-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:43 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 29718
Donít sweat it. Pressure isnít too high. I used EFI rubber hose with the proper EFI clamps and it doesnít leak.

88 Runner SAS , scroll about 7 posts up from your post and you will see the duration numbers in my post called " Duration is different "

Last edited by 2RowTC4Runner; 04-30-2005 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Jerk 88 Runner SAS's chain
Old 04-06-2005, 11:50 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 30087
Okay, I just edited the FAQ a bit. The NSW wire can be run to a ground (for vehicles w/o a neutral safety switch). From all accounts the SPD wire is not even necessary. Does anyone have anymore information on this? It sounds to me like it can easily be left out with no adverse affects. Also, the HAC wire is still a mystery to me. I don't think it is necessary. Some vehicles do not even have the wire. I opened up my ECU last night to double check, and it is labeled HAC on the PCB, but I don't think that fuel injected engines use HACs. If anyone knows, PLEASE jump in and let me know. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:25 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 15237
oh yea.. after looking through my notes, i found some more info.

on the 85 and 87 harnesses that I've done so far, I've found the on both of them that there is no HAC wire. those pins are used for TSW. which is wired to the Water Thermo Switch. It's the green sensor/plug on top of the upper water coolant neck. it's wired directly into the ECU.

It appears to be used in conjuncion with the 4WD and the Fuel VSV. when in 4wd and above a certain temperature, it will raise the fuel pressure in the fuel rail via the fuel VSV at startup. this is supposed to clear up a supposed hot start problem. probably caused from heat soak.

83 sr5 convertible rusted camo-rattlecan paintjob. 35"s, dual cases, lockers.. blah blah blah..
penguinofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2005, 12:46 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 3886
according to the FSM info that i have the HAC is only available on a few models, nothing that we even deal with. it is primarily used in carbed, ony a few industrial efi apps.
the 4wd switch is used for fuel enrichment mode.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:47 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 29841
Send a message via MSN to Explosivo
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo
just curious if somebody can verify the use of the celica pump.

the one i just bought is from a 83 celica part #e8000.
anybody else use this pump ?

if so is it a self priming unit ?
I sold the EFI fuel pump from my 84 parts Celica to someone doing a swap with a stock truck EFI tank (without pump) and it worked fine for him.

On my setup I run a Carter P5000 external fuel pump. It has 3/8" hose barb fitting on the intake side fed from my fuel cell, and I have 3/8" aluminium fuel line directly attached to the output side with brass flare fittings.
Explosivo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #47 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Does anyone have an approximate cost of this swap, minus the top end rebuild and assuming I buy the external fuel pump? I'm looking to buy it used, if that helps.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 30087
I've seen wiring harnesses and computers with pretty much everything you need minus the intake and stuff for as low as $50 on the board. If you throw in the intake you're looking around $200 or so. Then it depends on if you do the wiring work and everything yourself. I paid $400 for a complete EFI engine with harness and computer and gas tank and that's all I'm into it not counting shrink wrap and solder to rewire stuff.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 25660
Fuel tank

Is it true that for the 1st gen 4x4 trucks (79-83?) the efi fuel tank from the second gen 2WD trucks bolts in?
Old 04-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #50 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
I'm almost positive that's correct bkubisht.

OK, I found some complete EFI systems with the intakes and everything. My only question is: I have put an 85+ block and 85+ head into my 83 p/u. Everything is converted except the valve cover and I'm running a Thorley header with all emissions blocked off with plates. Is this going to cause a problem? I still have all my emissions crap, but I would rather keep it off.

Oh, and anything I should do to the used units? Should I get the sensors checked/cleaned and get some new injectors or anything?

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in