22R to 22RE swap FAQ - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #176 (permalink)

Member # 28340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe510 View Post
Question, This seems to be the right place to ask about 22re swaps. I am new to the board and have been checking out build threads for a while. I have an 83 short bed and decided to go with a 22re. The donor truck is a lightly damaged 94 short bed 2wd manual trans. I have started striping the harness out of the donor and I am wondering if i can use the complete fuel system and tank too? It was a running truck when I got it so I know everything was functioning properly. Some other questions are;
1. How much of the donor harness is compatible with my 83 harness or should I swap the whole thing?
2. Can I use any of the brake system?
3. Does the 94 have the desirable rear end that is a little wider than my 83?
4. How about the IFS box?
I appreciate any and all help or suggestions.
1.) I don't believe anything will connect to the old harness.

2.) Rotors and calipers frmop IFS are larger and vented- nice upgrade

3.) 1986 and up are 1.5 inches wider on each side or 3" wider total width and a stronger housing.

4.) IFS box is the prefered crossover steering upgrade in these trucks.

Good luck! Donate the $$ to the Toyota Bible if your going to be getting into Toys like that! There is a lot of good info and links to build threads!

Welcome and enjoy!
PWW
Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #177 (permalink)

Member # 211640
It seems like this is the right place to post this, so I hope it helps someone out. I'm doing this swap right now (84 r to 85 re). My 22r came with ac and an air pump. The ac bracket from mine is not compatible with the efi. If you have my setup and want to run ac with the efi, make sure you nab a donor bracket. Also the new bracket will relocate the compressor lower down, so plan on getting a longer hose. Just my 2 cents.
broken84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #178 (permalink)

Member # 211553
22re swap problems

So i put a 88 22re engine in my 85 truck and did everything like it is here but the truck runs very rich at idle.....

one thing is when its running i can unplug the fuel pump and it will run perfect til it runs out of fuel or i hook it back up then it goes back to running rough and rich.

i did change the fuel pressure regulator with a different one but no luck there either.

anyone had this happen with their swap??

Thanks todd
Ostkuste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #179 (permalink)

Member # 211553
Sorry the 85 was a carbed truck....so this is basically a stand alone harness I've built for the 88 efi
Ostkuste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #180 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe510 View Post
Some other questions are;
1. How much of the donor harness is compatible with my 83 harness or should I swap the whole thing?
2. Can I use any of the brake system?
3. Does the 94 have the desirable rear end that is a little wider than my 83?
4. How about the IFS box?
I appreciate any and all help or suggestions.

Joe, the 2wd '94 will have a 5-lug rear axle with a 7.5" ring gear. The upgrade that Powerwagonwheeler mentioned is the 4wd rear axle from a '94 IFS 4x4 pickup.

Same for the IFS steering box. The 2wd is a bit smaller than the 4wd IFS box. I wouldn't use it alone, but it might be OK in a hydro assist application.

the one thing that will work GREAT for your truck is the dual diaphragm brake booster and master cylinder. The 4x4 trucks had a dual diaphragm booster that is too large in diameter to fit in your 1st gen truck. The 3rd gen 2wd trucks have a smaller dual diaphragm booster--gives you more stopping force with the same pedal feel. They also have the 1" brake master which goes great with it--more pedal feel, but more flow (shorter pedal throw).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #181 (permalink)

Member # 215849
is there any info on swaping the whole motor and harness's from an 89 22re in to an 81? haven't really seen any info on here, i know i need alot of stuff from the re but i don't understand what needs to be wired and if i actually need the dash harnes
Donovan91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #182 (permalink)
Not a Wenzelite

Member # 44480
You don't need the dash harness, but the ECU does need to see a resistance on the charge light circuit.

Use the dash harness if you want the gauges to work; if you're buggying it, you don't need it.

-
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #183 (permalink)

Member # 129425
My RE harness is spliced into the original 20r dash harness. All my original gauges,etc work as they should. Looking back on the 22re swap I wish I had gone 3rz but RE beats carbed all day long.
toyotatime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #184 (permalink)

Member # 548442
i have put a 84 22r in a 89 4 runner that had a 22re in it,,what problems do i expect to have with this swap,i have kept old 22re harness to put on 22r engine,just havnt started it yet,,please help, thank you william scott
william scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #185 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by william scott View Post
i have put a 84 22r in a 89 4 runner that had a 22re in it,,what problems do i expect to have with this swap,i have kept old 22re harness to put on 22r engine,just havnt started it yet,,please help, thank you william scott
I can't remember off hand if the '84 head (assuming it hasn't been rebuilt) has all of the intake manifold holes pre-drilled for the EFI manifold.

If it does, then just read this thread a couple time and swap the manifold on to your good long block and install it using all the EFI stuff in the same fashion that your old engine was hooked up. Your truck is already wired for it, you aren't really doing anything more than a longblock swap.

If your head is too early for EFI bosses and you don't want to make an adapter plate, then sell the 84 22r and buy a newer style or rebuild your 89 block

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #186 (permalink)

Member # 548345
wiring mess!

Hi we have a 84 yota which we are putting in a 94 22re which we got the motor, ecu or ecm, and the complete wiring. Turns our we have a 9 wire plug under the motor/chassis that we have no idea where it hooks up to. My fuel pump kicks over but no start which is leading me to the MAF. The old truck never had this clip so part of me is thinking it may be to a manual tranny? I have an auto tranny in which were going to make it a manual. However I'm just trying to figure out where this wire may go and possibly that's the problem.

Thanks!
Vanessa and Jamie
ndubyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #187 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndubyota View Post
Hi we have a 84 yota which we are putting in a 94 22re which we got the motor, ecu or ecm, and the complete wiring. Turns our we have a 9 wire plug under the motor/chassis that we have no idea where it hooks up to. My fuel pump kicks over but no start which is leading me to the MAF. The old truck never had this clip so part of me is thinking it may be to a manual tranny? I have an auto tranny in which were going to make it a manual. However I'm just trying to figure out where this wire may go and possibly that's the problem.

Thanks!
Vanessa and Jamie
Do you have to worry about SMOG or are you just trying to wire the engine in separately "buggy style"?

Old 02-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #188 (permalink)

Member # 548345
We do have a smog line hooked up and everything with the new headers we bought. I believe they came with no wiring, however we have the smog part on it and have re welded the exhaust on. When he start it via battery or bypass switch it pops and backfires coming from the air area which leads me to the MAF.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #189 (permalink)

Member # 548442
let me refraze that i have a running 84 already installed in truck,,only differance is computer boxes,,so i have the 89 harness,will that work,i dont want to pull intake off as i was told it would work,,thank you
william scott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #190 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
We do have a smog line hooked up and everything with the new headers we bought. I believe they came with no wiring, however we have the smog part on it and have re welded the exhaust on. When he start it via battery or bypass switch it pops and backfires coming from the air area which leads me to the MAF.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...faq-2-0-a.html

Read the above thread and check out a Factory Service Manual. You could have any number of issues but really we'd need a better description. The FSM should provide you with everything you need to test/inspect all of your sensors to make sure you are within operating tolerances.

Timing? Intake Leak? Fuel Injectors? Grounds? Wiring? Neutral Start Safety Switch?

Shameless plug https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-diagrams.html check out this thread if you want an easy/stripped version of a 22re wiring schematic

Old 02-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #191 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by william scott View Post
let me refraze that i have a running 84 already installed in truck,,only differance is computer boxes,,so i have the 89 harness,will that work,i dont want to pull intake off as i was told it would work,,thank you
The 84 and 89 sensors have different resistance values and plugs. So no?? I think is the answer

example, the 84 uses external resistance for the fuel injectors and the 89 does not

Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #192 (permalink)

Member # 548345
maf tested!

So tested the maf and its good however my fuel pump is not engaging neither is starter when turning ignition. So that's the next roadblock! Don't forget I'm still trying to figure out what this 9 wire plug is which I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how to exactly. And no power to cold start injector so now reading through some forums to figure out on bypassing? Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by ndubyota; 02-03-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #193 (permalink)

Member # 548345
pics of infamous clip

Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #194 (permalink)

Member # 548345
Connected black wire with black with yellow wire now have power to things. What are the other wire colors and where do they go?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #195 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
You will be better off in the long run if you don't bypass the CSI. Also, those wires are pretty damn dirty so good luck getting somebody to tell you what color they are from those pictures

Multimeter: will tell you where they go.

Pull that joker apart and start tracing some wires. Keep reading those two links posted earlier up there

Old 02-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #196 (permalink)

Member # 548345
can I pick your brain a bit more?

To do an auto to manual tranny swap, what exactly needs to be done? If this is in the bible no need to reply as I am a blog newbie. However I was reading through a thread where drilling holes in the right places, replacing some parts, adding some parts and connecting all the right places will work for a auto to manual. I could be an idiot, but I'm new at this.

-thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #197 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
To do an auto to manual tranny swap, what exactly needs to be done? If this is in the bible no need to reply as I am a blog newbie. However I was reading through a thread where drilling holes in the right places, replacing some parts, adding some parts and connecting all the right places will work for a auto to manual. I could be an idiot, but I'm new at this.

-thanks in advance.
Yeah it is all documented either in the bible or in this forum. Well you are going to need to add holes and drill stuff if you want to use a hydraulic clutch all factory style, the wiring is straight forward, just need to bypass the neutral safety switch in the harness.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #198 (permalink)

Member # 579033
22re swap exhaust question

New here but have been on the mud site for a few years with my 40. I recently put a 22re in my 81 pickup (4wd) and now need to get the exhaust up to inspection standards as my registration is due. I put in a 94 22re and the 81 exhaust bolted right up but there is no place for an o2 sensor and the rear part of the exhaust is on its last legs. Does anyone know if a complete exhaust (down pipe, cat, muffler) bolt into a 81 truck? Minor mods or not even close. Thanks and I will post some pictures when I figure out how.
carolina cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #199 (permalink)

Member # 590913
I have an 83 block with an 86-95 head on it. Found out that it was an 83 block after buying a complete engine rebuild kit including brand new head. My truck is an 86 efi btw. The timing covers are definitely different and aren't interchangeable and its a clear difference in deck height. I had dome top pistons and my kit came with flat top pistons and I tried the dome tops and the head wouldn't fit so I had to put in flat tops and fit great. I am leaking oil from the oil pump seal so I really think that the 86-95 pump isn't interchangeable. It builds pressure and looked exactly like the old one tho. For some reason we couldn't get the timing cover back on after installing engine back in the truck without taking the head off too...it was a tight fit. I had a ton of problems but it worked and I have already ripped both of my bumpers off taking lil red offroad lol
turbosupraforme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #200 (permalink)

Member # 604993
Going crazy with my r to re swap I have a 83 truck, bought a 2gen truck 22re motor motor harness and dash harness (dash harness was cut in 2 spots) i got a non cut un known year dash harness from a friend and have hooked up everything i bypassed for my fuel pump for I have a sheet metal dash I still use my key for accessory power but im not getting any spark to my coil don't know if I'm supposed to run another wire for key on power to ecu? Because power runs straight to the coil on 22r motors and not through the ecu? have a yellow plug ecu if that makes a difference? saw this question earlier in the post with no answer.
82twistedtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in