ATK engines any good? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2005, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21134
ATK engines any good?

Search won't let me look for "ATK" because it's too short, so...

Has anybody gotten a remanufactured engine from them...specifically a 22re? My brother blew his in his 89 4runner and is looking for a replacement. His mechanic recommended ATK. www.atkengines.com

I know that Jasper is one of the best, but is ATK any good?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31702
you best bet is to rebuild it your self or take it to a machine shop. Ive never heard of ATK they may be good. i built mine my self, got the machine work done at Joes Engine Shop in concord. Its a great shop.
if you want i might me able to rebuild it I live in concord 415 559 1173 kenny
krawlinken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2005, 01:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 26270
We sell a few ATK engines at work. I have had no warrenty problems to speak of. Cant say that for some mass production engine rebuliders. They seem to be good rebuilds. I have more info on them at work. I am sure it is the same stuff you can find on their website.
GETTINTHERETOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2005, 07:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 17679
Doesn't LC Engineering sell this brand of rebuild on their website in addition to their own performace, in-house engines???

Last edited by mxitup; 03-19-2005 at 07:27 AM. Reason: spelling
mxitup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2005, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1852
Send a message via AIM to dcg9381 Send a message via Yahoo to dcg9381
I've never heard of LC selling this rebuild, if they do - why engage a middle man?
I've used an ATK engine in a Datsun/Nissan Z-car (L28) - no problems.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2005, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 43288
Try GNT Engines 877-792-6676 and talk to Nathan or Terry, out of Chandler, AZ (sub of Phoenix) I've had 2 engines,22RE's, and these people are great! They stand behind their product. Tell them Bob Mooney out of Vail, AZ told you about them. They are an independant shop and they do excellent work-not a mass production shop.
moon1cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2005, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4716
If you go w/ ATK, make sure whoever you are working with has a very good relationship with ATK. I have an ATK engine in my '85, took about 3 years to get it all sorted out and one set of working parts in it, though. First one lasted about a month and was belching smoke and coolant. That was replaced and that one lasted about 2 years before the HG went, new (rebuilt) head lasted about another month. I finally popped for a new head from Toyota and that solved the head problems.

The shop that did the install seemed to not be able to work w/ ATK very well. Any time there was a warrantee issue, it was 5-6 weeks to get it sorted out (all the while with the truck in the shop). When I had head problems, ATK told them to pull the head and send it down. So they did, just the bare head. Then ATK called back a week later and said they needed all the parts that went with the head (that were removed by the shop) so that was sent down. Even with the San Jose to SoCal shipping, that would take almost a week each way (I even volunteered to drive the parts down to ATK). And I think ATK only pays a nominal amount for the shop to do the repair work, so if you are in a high rent area, the shop probably makes that work a very low priority, since they can get 2X-3X from paying customers.

To be fair, ATK did stand by their warrantee, but I would rather not have had to test that warrantee out so many times!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4CrawlR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2005, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 4522
I used an ATK 22re a few years ago. Had to have the truck running again in two days so doing it myself was not an option. Came in a crate labelled "Made in Japan". All new fasteners, quality Japanese parts, etc... like an OSK timing kit vs. cheapo shit. Seems to be running strong still. Engine was at my door the day after I ordered it.
MattMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2005, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 21134
Thanks for the offer krawlinken, but my brother is in socal.

It seems like remanufactured engines have problems, I finally found some threads about them. My brother doesn't have the know-how to rebuild it himself so a shop has to do all the work.

Would it be better to have the shop rebuild the engine rather than getting a remanufactured?
Old 03-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 14600
My buddy had issues with his ATK motor and would not recommend them. From my understanding, ATK engines used to all be built in house but since expanding, they've farmed out their engines to several different builders and slapped the ATK name on them causing a problem with quality control inconsistencies. Just what I've heard. Jasper is supposed to be of very good quality but, a little more expensive but, you get what you pay for.........Usually, anyway ........Hans EDIT: his experience was similar to 4CrawlR's.....and it still has an oil consumption issue!

Last edited by Oatmeal; 03-19-2005 at 02:43 PM.
Oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
pull the head off and make sure one or 2 cylinders aren't punched 10 over with stock bores on the rest. They are good for that.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 182851
Unhappy ATK ENGINES Garland Texas. Warning

Just my two cents. They may have a few good folks there trying to "sell" you something. But their warranty is worthless, their customer service even worse, and their product shameful at best.

$5900 crate motor ticking and making valve train noises. Sometimes they call back, sometimes the don't. In the end when they refuse to help, they don't even care to listen to valuable feedback, said in a professional manner, in an attempt to help them grow as a company and serve their customer better.

They mismatch products, act as if you are the first person to ever have the problem you are having, and then when you accept they are not going to help you yet still try to give them good feedback..."raise your glasses here to ATK".... They hang up on you. These guys are losers, if I can save one person the pain of dealing with them, I will. Feel free to contact me if you want more details, but I think this says it all. Spend a few more dollars somewhere else and get more bang for your buck all the way around.

I promise you won't be sorry. American needs better companies than ATK Engines.

Thanks for reading this... it was worth your time.

Rockraisin

.... owner of three small companies that know how to make a good product, and support it. 25 employees, $5 million in annual sales, and growing. Good luck ATK... you won't last much longer with the mentality you have.

Last edited by rockraisin; 04-24-2012 at 10:14 AM.
rockraisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 213125
That's why smart people buy from local engine builders. A warranty doesn't mean a fucking thing to me. It won't pull the bad engine and ship it back to the builder. It also won't install the new engine in the truck either.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3132
I have seen atk engines where the rebuild insisted of almost normal rebuild. With 1 out of the 4 cylinders oversized with bigger piston. I would go through a actual rebuilder and not a patch job motor.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 19077
We just got done replacing an ATK performance engine. Customer bought it from LCE (they no longer sell ATK) and it lasted <2,500 miles. Spiral lock came out on #1, putting the wrist pin into the cylinder wall. We pulled it, shipped it to Texas, they got us another one in about a 2 weeks. Customer had me take it to my regular machine shop for a tear down - inspection - balance. Everything looked good inside, 10-10-30 over. Keith Black pistons, cam, etc. It did have a "Made in Mexico" tag on it. I only dealt with ATK over the phone while diagnosing the problem. They were satisfactory to deal with in that aspect. I think the customer told me they only pay $350 to R&R.

We R&Red one for another customer 4 or 5 years ago. Cracked block with <5,000 on it IIRC. I didnt deal with ATK directly on that one.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 165162
A good friend of mine had one the block fell apart then he sent it back they said it was his fault, and told him he had 5 days to pay return shipping of 150$ or they where keeping the engine! They kept it he was out 3800$.

ATK is GayTK
hunter4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 103154
check out
http://www.22reperformance.com/22RE%...20Engines.html
I have heard nothing but good stuff about them
whatafkwasat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 599354
ATK engines are garbage.

I bought 4.3 vortec long blocks from them at one time. Little over $4000. Had problems with first engine right off the bat. link to video showing actual failure

They didn't seem to interested in warranting the engine till I told them I posted the failure on youtube as it happened. Then they shipped me a replacement engine out of Texas.

They warrantied the engine but would not pay the labor. Said there was unidentifiable debrie in number 1 cyl. And since they couldn't determine what it was, they said it was something that was sucked into the intake. You can see the engine running with breather on in video.

On the second engine, I just got it back with no power and water in the oil. I had replaced both exhaust manifolds and intake manifold when I put it in. I now have all the externals off and finishing flushing the engine and putting new oil and filiter in it. Will give it a run and if it gets water in it again, I will be calling ATK. I doubt they will pay my labor on this again and best I can hope for is a replacement engine. I have lost my ass on both of these engines and will NEVER deal with ATK again.

I told my customers to register their engines online with ATK cause if there is a problem with it, they can take it to another installer. Im not touching them ever again.

From now, I will replace complete engine with OEM stuff. Will not buy another reman engine any more.

J & J Hobby Marine.
fixmyboatguytn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmyboatguytn View Post
I bought 4.3 vortec long blocks from them at one time. Little over $4000. Had problems with first engine right off the bat. link to video showing actual failure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4KvR3oHFN8

They didn't seem to interested in warranting the engine till I told them I posted the failure on youtube as it happened. Then they shipped me a replacement engine out of Texas.

They warrantied the engine but would not pay the labor. Said there was unidentifiable debrie in number 1 cyl. And since they couldn't determine what it was, they said it was something that was sucked into the intake. You can see the engine running with breather on in video.

On the second engine, I just got it back with no power and water in the oil. I had replaced both exhaust manifolds and intake manifold when I put it in. I now have all the externals off and finishing flushing the engine and putting new oil and filiter in it. Will give it a run and if it gets water in it again, I will be calling ATK. I doubt they will pay my labor on this again and best I can hope for is a replacement engine. I have lost my ass on both of these engines and will NEVER deal with ATK again.

I told my customers to register their engines online with ATK cause if there is a problem with it, they can take it to another installer. Im not touching them ever again.

From now, I will replace complete engine with OEM stuff. Will not buy another reman engine any more.

J & J Hobby Marine.
cool story. this is the toyota section. and a 10 year old thread. And you joined just to write this?
Old 11-06-2015, 05:59 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 621657
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLES View Post
cool story. this is the toyota section. and a 10 year old thread. And you joined just to write this?
I found it very relevant Noodles. Most of this thread has been about the reliability of ATK engines. Some people have said in other forums that they have new owners and they are better so seeing something recent versus 10 years old shows the company may not have changed their ways. I was considering buying and engine from them through a distributor but I won't touch it now.

So, this post was extremely helpful.
bbeau_87059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeau_87059 View Post
I found it very relevant Noodles. Most of this thread has been about the reliability of ATK engines. Some people have said in other forums that they have new owners and they are better so seeing something recent versus 10 years old shows the company may not have changed their ways. I was considering buying and engine from them through a distributor but I won't touch it now.

So, this post was extremely helpful.

New owners do not mean new processes. And even parts planet or whatever they call themselves now. Funny how every vehicle had 78k on the vehicle. Problem with that story is i have been told 78k, and the engine is about to blow it second set of gaskets that typically last 80k. atk, and a lot of these larger used parts suppliers are no good to do business with. atk will take wrecking yard engines, go through and replace only what it needs and sell it as a rebuild.

If they were watched like transmission shops are, that trans is not "rebuilt" until the tc is replaced, all clutches and bushings.

Last edited by NOODLES; 11-07-2015 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in