HOW TO: MSD 6A Installation on a 22RE - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Send a message via AIM to steveh
HOW TO: MSD 6A Installation on a 22RE

I recently purchased a used MSD 6A from Wilson. Since Dirtbag-711 lives down the street, he kindly offered to drop it off to me next time he was in PV.

So, to make it fun, we went wheeling Saturday and I received the MSD.

Thanks Scott!

So, we have had a few posts recently on how to install one on a 22RE. We know how to install on a 22R thanks to Flecker.

Ok, here is the 411

Besides the MSD box, you have to also have a Tach adapter, MSD PN 8210-EIS. I ordered one yesterday from Summit.

Here are the 2 Install Schematics, the first one is WITHOUT the adapter, the Second one is with.

I will take pics and fully document to process and add this to the FAQ when I am done.

Here are the diagrams:

Generic Import Install

22RE Install with the Tach Adapter (Adapter is a must for 22RE in order for the FI and Tach to work properly)

Other items needed:
  • Excellent cap and rotor. I suggest getting the Napa premium, because the have high quality Brass contacts, which just work better with a strong ignition system
  • High quality wires
  • New plugs, MSD does not suggest using anything special, IE whatever the factory recommend, but maybe 1 or 2 ranges colder, and with a wider gap.

I am researching this a bit, because I have read some people recommend Autolite or use with a CD ignition.

Hey Crash, you da man, any insights here????

Depending on Schedule, I may have time to install this over the weekend.

Anyone with specific knowledge and experience with MSD boxes on a 22RE, please post up!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wow this is unbelievable"

Last edited by steveh; 01-25-2006 at 09:52 AM.
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
On my 22re runner basicly the only things you wire to are the coil and the tach wire.... that's it! The diagrams spell it out right. I will give this bit of advice for the 6a, when mounting it, where ever you choose to... just make sure it won't get moisture on the unit! Under the drip channel on the drivers side engine bay is good and I highly reccomend using rubber spacers between the box and the bay metal, not only for vibes but for venting as well... the box can get a bit warm and it helps to let air get all around it . On mine I opened up the plug gap to almost 40, not the standard 32 and it can handle it quite well. I also would suggest a fuse or cir. brker in case you get a jolt to your system it will save the box... I used a 20a fus. link, the box is rated for up to 16V and more amps than you would think, but 20 amps is a safe bet... Hope it helps!!!

And the cap and rotor are a definite, I had the best results believe it or not w/ the stock toyota cap and rotor. Advancing your timing a bit more will give good results w/ the box and makes the re a bit more responsive too!

Last edited by flecker; 01-25-2006 at 10:37 AM.
flecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker
On my 22re runner basicly the only things you wire to are the coil and the tach wire.... that's it! The diagrams spell it out right. I will give this bit of advice for the 6a, when mounting it, where ever you choose to... just make sure it won't get moisture on the unit! Under the drip channel on the drivers side engine bay is good and I highly reccomend using rubber spacers between the box and the bay metal, not only for vibes but for venting as well... the box can get a bit warm and it helps to let air get all around it . On mine I opened up the plug gap to almost 40, not the standard 32 and it can handle it quite well. I also would suggest a fuse or cir. brker in case you get a jolt to your system it will save the box... I used a 20a fus. link. Hope that helps!
Roger all the above, I ordered the Vibration mounts as well from Summit.

It will be run off my auxiliary fuse block

Old 01-25-2006, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 45196
here is the best spot to mount the box IMO
Old 01-26-2006, 02:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 43112
I've been thinking of putting a MSD 6A box on my 22RE as well, but was wondering if there is a gain in putting one on?? More Torque/HP??? Or just better fuel economy??
87BushToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87BushToy
I've been thinking of putting a MSD 6A box on my 22RE as well, but was wondering if there is a gain in putting one on?? More Torque/HP??? Or just better fuel economy??
^2
Old 01-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy86
here is the best spot to mount the box IMO
Agreed, that's where mine will go. I need to call Seabass and get a better aux fuse block. Mine is located where the MSD will go right now, so I will be moving it.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 45196
I have it hooked straight up to the battery on the power and ground becuase that is what the instructions said. I had some big voltage spikes for a while when my voltage regulator went out without any damage
Old 01-26-2006, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 63653
wheres the info for the msd on a 22r?
G-rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-rizzle
wheres the info for the msd on a 22r?
It's in the FAQ at the top of the page.... page 6
Old 01-31-2006, 07:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Progress pics:

10-32 threaded inserts installed for rubber vibration mounts

10-32 inserts installed on firewall for Tach Adapter

6A Bolted up

6A and Tach Adapter ready for final wiring

Last edited by steveh; 01-31-2006 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Done! Fired right up!! Followed the Tach adapter wiring. I'll post a blow by blow this week sometime.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Quote:
On my 22re runner basicly the only things you wire to are the coil and the tach wire.... that's it! The diagrams spell it out right. I will give this bit of advice for the 6a, when mounting it, where ever you choose to... just make sure it won't get moisture on the unit! Under the drip channel on the drivers side engine bay is good and I highly reccomend using rubber spacers between the box and the bay metal, not only for vibes but for venting as well... the box can get a bit warm and it helps to let air get all around it . On mine I opened up the plug gap to almost 40, not the standard 32 and it can handle it quite well. I also would suggest a fuse or cir. brker in case you get a jolt to your system it will save the box... I used a 20a fus. link, the box is rated for up to 16V and more amps than you would think, but 20 amps is a safe bet... Hope it helps!!!

And the cap and rotor are a definite, I had the best results believe it or not w/ the stock toyota cap and rotor. Advancing your timing a bit more will give good results w/ the box and makes the re a bit more responsive too!
Flecker, I stuck a 30amp fuse in the block on the Firewall, but you think a 20amp is fine? I searche dthe MSD Docs, and could not find any specs on the max amp draw.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh
Flecker, I stuck a 30amp fuse in the block on the Firewall, but you think a 20amp is fine? I searche dthe MSD Docs, and could not find any specs on the max amp draw.
Honestly I don't see it drawing even 20... the way I see it, it has #12 wire to the battery or in your case the fuse block. #12 wire is rated for 20Amps. I would fuse it for the what the wire size is capable of.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 18614
I got one of these sitting in my shop. Think its about time I order up a tach adapter and install it.

Did you drive it yet? How does it feel now compared to before?

94toytruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Quote:
Honestly I don't see it drawing even 20... the way I see it, it has #12 wire to the battery or in your case the fuse block. #12 wire is rated for 20Amps. I would fuse it for the what the wire size is capable of.
Makes sense to me. I'll measure the draw for grins, I have one of those fancy Fluke inductive Current tools for my meter.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:45 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94toytruck
I got one of these sitting in my shop. Think its about time I order up a tach adapter and install it.

Did you drive it yet? How does it feel now compared to before?
Feels the same power wise, but I have a bad exhaust valve in #4, so untill I pull the head and and have a valve Job.

Things I can notice. It starts right up cold, instantly. Idle is smoother.

The engine in my truck needs several things taken care of to get the most outa the 4 little hamsters ...

Old 02-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5114
Send a message via AIM to PARANOID56
i would also run a voltage regulator on it. i have had 2 go up in smoke becasue of that. just another piece to cover your ass.
Shane

2003 Toyota Taco double cab
2013 Suzuki DRZ
TLCA member #12202
PARANOID56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Here you go steveh... found this on thier site :
Might be better off if both of us run a 10 Amp fuse, or 7.5 even...
Says it draws 5amps at 5000 rpm's and I know I go to at least 5500 in my rig ocasionally . Also says it can handle up to 18VDC, more than I thought. They are pretty tough boxes indeed!

OPERATING SPECIFICATIONS
Operating Voltage: +10-18 VDC Negative Ground
Current Requirements: 5 Amps-5,000 RPM
10 Amps-10,000 RPM
RPM Range: 15,000 RPM with 14.4 Volts
Spark Duration: 20 Crankshaft Rotation
Energy Output Max: 105-115 mJ Per Spark
Weight and Size: 3 lbs, 8"Lx3.5"Wx2.25"H
Voltage Output Max: Primary: 460-480 Volts
Secondary: 45,000 Volts (Blaster Coil)
Old 02-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Shane, what type of regulator did you use? Toys seem to hoover right around 14vdc when running. I don't see that as a a bad voltage when msd specs 10 to 18.

Flecker, 10amp fuse it is, thanks!

Old 03-24-2006, 01:20 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 3370
Rewiring a buddy's truck, pulled a garbage can full of useless wires the PO left for him. Found a few links

heres the pdf for the msd box http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf

and the tac adapter http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8910_tach_adapter.pdf
Old 03-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
mda

Member # 11212
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARANOID56
i would also run a voltage regulator on it. i have had 2 go up in smoke becasue of that. just another piece to cover your ass.
Shane
x2 Before that post I was gonna say buy a spare...it will eventually smoke.

Smoked two and gave up on them. Never seen anyone post up a fix for that prob. Thanks. Miight try one again.
mda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 01:49 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 3370
Quote:
Originally Posted by mda
x2 Before that post I was gonna say buy a spare...it will eventually smoke.

Smoked two and gave up on them. Never seen anyone post up a fix for that prob. Thanks. Miight try one again.
I've heard of them smoking, but I have ran mine for 2 years with no problems. Is it linked to something else? like a bad alternator or welding near them?

Last edited by Pook; 03-24-2006 at 01:50 AM.
Pook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 02:00 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook
I've heard of them smoking, but I have ran mine for 2 years with no problems. Is it linked to something else? like a bad alternator or welding near them?
It would take a healthy spike to smoke one! I have run 3 msd boxes now and nary a problem w/ any of them... I wonder how it happens to them?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook
This is the first one I have run, I got it from Wilson, so it is well seasoned LOL!

Welding on your rig with one connected can kill them. I have been meaning to order a Antizap Shunt so I don't have to disco it if I need to weld.

Also, and this is for any electrical/electronic device, how you install, and do your wiring is very important. Bad wiring skills kill a lot of stuff.

Not everyone is comfortable with wiring, and boy does it show sometimes!!

One thing I did on mine, is I used some custom insulator standoffs on the coil, so if the MSD dies, I Simply remove the standoffs, and connect the 2 original wires to the coil on I'm back in business. I should put a switch in one of these days to make it even easier.

So far I only notice it at low rpm's. Plug wise, it seems to like 1 range colder, and 1 gap larger. I switched between W16EXR-U with a gap of .31 and W20EXR-U with a gap of .44 (Both come from ND pre-gapped). It likes the W20EXR-U's the best, probably because of the wider gap.

It definitely has a more torque going up a hill in second gear at 1800 rpm's with the wider gapped plugs. With the .31's in, it bogs down.

I'd like to get a set of the W16's pregaped at .44 if I can find them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in