Tons underneath build.. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2006, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Talking Tons underneath build. New owner.

[IMG][/IMG] I'm in the process of building a 87 x-cab with CUCV ton axles, 4.3TBI, 700r4, dual cases, All-Pro springs, BTF high steer, aluminum 17x9 Trailready's and 39.5" Iroks. This pic is from today, I'll post the previous pics soon. It's friggin to tall I know. All the suspension mounts are tacked in until I get all the truck together and see how it's going to sit, then I'll adjust accordingly. Right now the wheelbase is 106", but if you look it can be lenghtened about 7". Tell me what you think on the wheelbase or for that matter any of it. "Good,Bad or Ugly" I may have missed or not thought of something.
It's going to get a full exo and tube bed unless I can come across a good bed. Right now I'm just putting everything together to make sure it all works and then I'm going to take it apart and paint it all.

Last edited by zooker; 01-08-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Traded it off
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2006, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 49474
What is your wheelbase? Looks short...
Fo-runna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 40293
106". I asked for opinions in the first post on it. Here in KY I do more tight woods with some rockcrawling and hill climbing. As I previous stated it can be moved back to about 113". It's just tacked in right now. I'm really not for sure what I want it to be. I'm looking for opinions.

Last edited by zooker; 03-05-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 54533
I like the bling wheels!

If you're doing more of anything but rocks, I would leave it at that wheelbase. We do alot of real tight woods up here and my 4Runner cuts corners better than my buddy's ExtraCab. His longer WB makes him do 3 point turns alot where I don't need to. It looks like you have a good approach angle on the front but your shackle angle is all wrong. At ride height you want it about 20 towards the back. If those are new springs they might settle but it still looks like it would be too vertical.

In the rear, it looks like it's sitting good. The only thing that might give you problems is getting hung up on the shackles going backwards. Otherwise, good work.

Sean
SamiFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2006, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiFlyer
I like the bling wheels!

If you're doing more of anything but rocks, I would leave it at that wheelbase. We do alot of real tight woods up here and my 4Runner cuts corners better than my buddy's ExtraCab. His longer WB makes him do 3 point turns alot where I don't need to. It looks like you have a good approach angle on the front but your shackle angle is all wrong. At ride height you want it about 20 towards the back. If those are new springs they might settle but it still looks like it would be too vertical.

In the rear, it looks like it's sitting good. The only thing that might give you problems is getting hung up on the shackles going backwards. Otherwise, good work.

Sean
The springs are new All-Pro's and it's just a rolling chassis right now. I know the frts. will probably need moving they suck right now. The rrs. are just for mock-up(flat bar with multiple holes). Thanks for the input and wheelin info.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 49474
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
106". I asked for opinions in the first post on it. Here in KY I do more tight woods with some rockcrawling and hill climbing. As I previous stated it can be moved back to about 113". It's just tacked in right now. I'm really not for sure what I want it to be. I'm looking for opinions.
If it was mine I'd probably split the difference.Just my opinion...
Old 03-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo-runna
If it was mine I'd probably split the difference.Just my opinion...
Yeah, I put it there to see what it would look like after doing alot of searching and reading here, but I didn't want to cut the the rear frame rails until I was sure. Everyone wheels different terrain on here and I hope to get more opinions along with yours to help me decide. Appreciate it.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 49474
It's an awesome looking rig that's for sure. My nephew wheels a stock wheelbase xtracab just fine. 3 inches back wouldn't hurt you a bit.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Quote:
It's an awesome looking rig that's for sure. My nephew wheels a stock wheelbase xtracab just fine. 3 inches back wouldn't hurt you a bit.
It would probably help if the truth be known. It does look alittle different the way it is, but looks don't make her go.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Rear frame rails and Frt. wheel wells

[IMG][/IMG] As usual I had to replace the rear frame rails. They are made of 2x3 and 2x4 rect. tubing. They have a 1/4" flat bar welded to the top at the frame end and drove up inside the stock frame 12" It only has a temp. crossmember in it for now as you can see. I used RE joints for the rear shackle hangers(mock up shackles on it in the pic). IFS rear is no longer there,14 bolt now.

[IMG][/IMG] Tubbed the wheelwells back to the cab mounts.

Last edited by zooker; 03-05-2006 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 49474
How wide are the axles? Wms to Wms?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Quote:
How wide are the axles? Wms to Wms?
The rear is 67" and the front is 66.5".
Old 03-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 36639
Zooker- looks good.. the wheelbase is fine i have the same thing 106 but 36 iroks. Most say its to short but it actually in the 100 to 106 range where you want to be at.

Dan
Old 03-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_yota13
Zooker- looks good.. the wheelbase is fine i have the same thing 106 but 36 iroks. Most say its to short but it actually in the 100 to 106 range where you want to be at.

Dan
Thanks, I've kept up with your build it's a killer itself.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 40293
[IMG][/IMG] Never mind the bootyfab(garage only) tierod. I narrowed the long side and thought I would try the Rustoleum Hammertone.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Looks good, if it were mine I would go 110-112 WB, but that is coming from a guy that wheels a 123" WB rig!!!!!

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOP'S
Looks good, if it were mine I would go 110-112 WB, but that is coming from a guy that wheels a 123" WB rig!!!!!
That's my biggest issue right, what to do. I'm thinking of running it like it is for awhile. I've been reading about link set-ups and will try it on the rear after wheeling it some and making sure I've got enough info to do it. At that time I'll have a better idea of what I need or want. After all I'm running a Sammy now which is way shorter. Thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 8981
im at about 120. love the length.
2stroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Update

I've not had alot of time to work on it the last few months. I finally got the drivetrain to the point that I got to fire it up last weekend. The salvage yard engine sounded good. Now back to the grindstone. Thanks to Crash, Toy2 and others that gave helpful info to this point. I'll get more pics up when I get the chance. I'm finishing the upper fan and radiator mounts, fuel cell mounting and trans crossmember this weekend hopefully. Hopefully it will move under it's own power shortly.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 71927
looks like it will be a good machine, I would adjust the wheelbase after figuring how tall you are actually going to be, go with a tube bed bobbed slightly in the rear with an angled tailgate to keep that nice approach angle you got.

a friend told me this right before I started my truck for the first time and drove it out of his garage and over/thru his couch.

What do you get when you put a chev. engine in your toy? A Toyolet

good build man, looking forward to seeing the finished product in action!
SOUTH SHORE 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTH SHORE 4X4
looks like it will be a good machine, I would adjust the wheelbase after figuring how tall you are actually going to be, go with a tube bed bobbed slightly in the rear with an angled tailgate to keep that nice approach angle you got.

a friend told me this right before I started my truck for the first time and drove it out of his garage and over/thru his couch.

What do you get when you put a chev. engine in your toy? A Toyolet

good build man, looking forward to seeing the finished product in action!
Thanks, I'm getting pretty anxious myself.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Update

Finally got to spend a little time on it. Engine runs, Autometer custom cluster done, HAD rear shaft in, cage for fuel cell 3/4 done. I'll get pics as soon as a buddy brings the camera back down. Alot to go though.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 42691
Looks good. I am anxious to see the pictures.
alwayzbroken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Hope to get them up this weekend. Thanks buddy.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 40293
Steering

Guys, I just finally got to welding and conforming the frt. steering. I've got a cucv 60 and with the steering at full lock in either direction the factory stops on the 60 like about 5/16" of hitting the stops. It might be closer to 1/4", but still. Is this normal and how can I get more. The box is at full lock, but am I overlooking something? I'm sure the front is mounted square and I've been all over this thing wondering what I can do to achieve that extra bit of turning radius. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in