Hi-amp alternator for 3.0 V-6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Hi-amp alternator for 3.0 V-6

Hi-amp alternator for 3.0 V-6

I have been thinking about installing a Hi-Amp alternator for a few years now. A couple of years ago I added a second battery and moved them to the back underneath the flatbed. With all the accessories I have added over the years the stock Toyota 60-amp alternator had a hard time keeping up, especially when night wheeling. The thing that stopped me was I know little about electrics, and all I had seen in my research was high-dollar alternators

A couple weeks ago, Erik B said something about it, and he was going to research it. He came up with the solution, a Powermaster alternator for GM vehicles (figure 1) from Summit Racing. I asked Erik to help me wire it .He said no problem.

The alternator that I bought was a Powermaster #47802 that puts out 80 amps at idle and 160 amps at highway speeds (figure 2). The install of this unit on the 3.0 is almost bolt in. I had to do some minor mods to the stock tensioning bracket (figure 3-4) and to the stock Toyota mount bracket (figure 5) and I bought a belt that was about one inch longer.

The wiring had me stumped; Erik came over with a paper with how to wire it up. I did not take any pictures of the wiring. I went to NAPA, bought a pigtail for the alternator and misc. wire ends then to a stereo shop, and bought fifteen feet of number 4-gage thumper wire. The GM unit has 4-pins while the Toyota plug only has three. The GM pig-tail wires are stator-brown (not used), gray-alt. light (next to brown) goes to yellow on the Toyota plug, 2nd gray-ignition goes to red on the Toyota plug, and red-sense goes to white on the Toyota plug. The Toyota plug has female spade connectors so I crimped male spade connectors and color-coded the pigtail wires as to which place it went in the Toyota plug. The charging wire (4-gage) I ran to a Bussman hi-amp fuse holder (figure 7) with a 175-amp fuse. From there I ran the 4-gage wire back to the dual battery solenoid set-up (figure 8) and hooked it up per instructions from Painless wiring. Figures 9-10 are the finished product. I started it up today and it is putting out 13.9 volts at the battery and if I knew how to use my meter to test amps I would see what amps it is putting out at idle. Anything has to be better then what the stock one was putting out.

Here is another thread about doing the same thing but a little different.

https://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...hreadid=207958

List of parts:

Alternator-Summit Racing –PN # 47802 http://www.summitracing.com/

GM pigtail PN 385118 – NAPA

Hi-amp fuse and holder – Waytek Wire - http://www.waytekwire.com/index.htm

Dual Battery set-up – Painless Wiring - http://www.painlesswiring.com/
250-AMP DUAL BATTERY CURRENT CONTROL SYSTEMS
#40103 - 250 Amp Weatherproof Dual Battery controller
12-Volt Guy also has these but was not around when I put my dual batteries in - http://www.12voltguy.com/
Support PBB Vendors

Misc. wire and connectors.

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by OOP'S; 04-05-2009 at 07:46 PM.
OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
The rest of the pictures

Last edited by OOP'S; 04-05-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2006, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 39727
I was thinking about the gm alternator one or the MR2 one http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/100alt/index.html

Old 03-27-2006, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 42148

Hey OOP'S, Its good to see other folks running a 3.0. I hear lots of people bagging on them, and it makes me feel bad about mine. Whats your take on the motor? Mine runs fine! 22500 on an '88!
tacochris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 05:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2093
Cool David, now I know who to call when its time to upgrade mine.
HNTZ4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 06:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Send a message via AIM to steveh
Nice David, I'll get the info in the FAQ. Would the one you bought also work on a 22R/RE?

"Wow this is unbelievable"

steveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 06:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacochris
Hey OOP'S, Its good to see other folks running a 3.0. I hear lots of people bagging on them, and it makes me feel bad about mine. Whats your take on the motor? Mine runs fine! 22500 on an '88!
They can bag on them all the want. I have been wheeling it hard for eight years without a problem. Mine is low mileage, only about 125,000. HGs were done at about 70,000!!!!!!!

Old 03-28-2006, 06:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacochris

I also have a bone stock '88 DD, did have to do the HG's, at 148K, has 160k now, and runs fine. I like mine, runs great.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Cool David, now I know who to call when its time to upgrade mine.
I knew that was coming!!!!!!!!! They have them chromed to go with the rest of your "BLING, BLING"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No problem Ryan, if we can ever get together, got the Monster Valves installed yet!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Nice David, I'll get the info in the FAQ. Would the one you bought also work on a 22R/RE?
Erik had to get a different model because of the belt, 22r has a V-belt while the 3.0 has a 4-rib belt.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 59
Basically we copied this writeup, but I had to do a little research to figure out which alternator to buy from Powermaster.

https://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...hreadid=207958

And here is a little improvement to the wiring diagram in that writeup:
Attached Images

ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh
No, but a Powermaster 47294 will. Check out this thread for the one I put on my 22re:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451359

I was playing with it last night w/ the rock lights and it works awesome.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Thanks Erik, it's definitely on my list as a must do. If your not busy tonight we are having our club meeting at BJ's in Folsom, come by! 6-6:30ish

Old 03-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 59
I was just thinking last night that today was going to be the last Tuesday and I was going to check your guys site for the meeting! I'll try to bring the red runner this time too.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 59
This alternator bolts right onto a 3.4L V6. NO bracket mods needed, just a 1/4" spacer behind the alternator. The wiring is the same too.

I spliced in both connectors so I can use my old alt as a spare or whatever.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 2798
the only issue you might have is the gm alt falure rate is alot higher then the nippindenso units. although power master and mean green do use high quaility parts in there products, my buddy uses them in his high end car audio installs. also, why not just use the cs144 out of the buick??? im not sure if the idle amp output is as high in the stock unit?? and you need to make room for the welder!!!!!!!! ill make you another one??

cliff
Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 37026
awesome. thanks for this thread. when the time comes im sure ill be doing this to my truck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in