Welcome Newbs! You must read and check in here first!!! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Send a message via AIM to steveh
Exclamation Welcome Newbs! You must read and check in here first!!!

Newbs, reply to this post and tell us about you and your Truck or Runner.

First and foremost, DO NOT POST "FOR SALE", OR "WANTED", OR "WHAT'S IT WORTH" IN THIS FORUM!!! Use the Classifieds. We will punish anyone who posts "Classifieds" and/or "What's it Worth" in true Pirate fashion with a very public flogging and an occasional celebratory walking of the plank

If your new to this forum you will fall into 2 categories:
  1. Newb to Pirate4x4.com Bulletin Board (PBB), Newb to Hardcore wheeling and heavily modified vehicles
  2. Newb to PBB, but not a Newb to Hardcore Wheeling

If your a #1, please start posting your questions an comments in Newbie General 4x4 Discussion .
Read the Toyota FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)- *MUST READ* here at least 10 times
If you post Questions here that are covered in the FAQ, you will be walking the plank in true Pirate4x4 style.

If your a # 2, Read the Toyota FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)- *MUST READ* here at least 10 times
If you post Questions here that are covered in the FAQ, you will be walking the plank in true Pirate4x4 style.

Last but not least, I created a PDF out of the current FAQ. It's sweet, pics and everything, but it's large, 10mb.

I could just post it, but that would be to "Nice",,,so,,,,, if you want a copy, you have to make a donation to the Rubicon Trail Foundation, min $10. And I'll give you the secret download location for it.

Now, I am going to do this on the honor system, because I trust you guys won't violate the privilege, and because it's for a good cause.

All I need to see is proof of a donation via Paypal, so, PM me a text copy and paste of the transaction, and I'll PM you the download location.

Click this button to donate: Make sure you say it came from the PBB Toy Forum !

Note that it goes to the treasurer for the Rubicon Trail Foundation.

And please go to this thread:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517068
and bump it when you donate!!

If you have trouble, PM me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wow this is unbelievable"

Last edited by steveh; 07-05-2009 at 02:37 PM.
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 72029
New to Pirate

Just saying hi, got a '85 4runner with 5" lift 35" tires, lockers front & rear, 5.29 gears, 4 to 1 kit, twin stick, high clearance cross over steering and the normal trail armor. If you watch Superlift's Off Road Adventures on the Outdoor Channel it is Project: Cheap Trills from season 6, with a few additional mods.
LA TOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20672
Send a message via AIM to forbergler Send a message via Yahoo to forbergler
I traded my Iron Pig for an '85 4Runner all in pieces. Need more room for the growing family. I'm fairly new to Toyota P/U's and 4Runners, but I have been crawlin and mobbin since posi's were considered "hardcore".
'85 body and frame
90's 22re, matched injectors, bored throttle body
9" rear, 31 spline, ARB, 5.43s. nodular third, Daytona pinion support
Dana 44 full chromo, CTM's, 5.38s, high steer
48" Toyota rears up front, shackle forward, 63" Chebbys in the rear
stock 5spd, Toyota Crawler box to a Dana 300 w/4:1 via an OTT adapter
32 spline rear output
Completely flat belly between the spring hangers
Just trying to get it all put back together for the snow.
forbergler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 77021
Yes daddy.

Definitely not a new-bee. I just bought a 91 fr axle/con, 529s, F/R lockers, dual cases, 37 Mtrs on beads locks, square drive lines, Chevy rear springs, toy rear front springs, tube bed, rock sliders,blah blah so on.

I just sold a 2000 tj that I had so much coin in that I could have retired if only I would have sold it for parts.

I have been looking around the forum for the past couple of weeks and the information that is on here is extremely nice.
beafire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Send a message via AIM to steveh
Welcome to the Toy section you guys!

"Wow this is unbelievable"

steveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 41903
I've been a member for awhile, I don't ever need to post because I know how to search, but I'll keep up with my newbie status and say:
I have an 85 4Runner,
-4.88's, locked F/R, IFS rear axle
-dual cases- stock gears
-33" LTB's
-POS NWOR springs, (can't believe I admitted that on PBB)
- hi-steer
- OG 22RE thats about to be swapped out
-lots of other piddilly sh!t

I've been wheeling since High School (about 8 years) but I've never built a truck up like the one I have now. I've done all the work myself except for the diffs, and PBB is responsible for most of the work getting done right the first time.

Mike
frty6&2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 73068
I have a 86 toy truck.
sas
allpro highsteer
5.29 and welded front
rears up front, 35 bfg muds
V6 rear
and waiting for more money to finish project. From Washington and I live for the snow wheelin, theres nothin like a little powder. I have been wheelin for 7 years sold my last truck but it was nothin like this one will be. I'm putting alot more thinking into it. it's better to do it once not 10 times.
luke22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 51415
Okay so I've read the FAQ more than 10 times by now I'm sure

I'm putting together a 83' Toy Pickup, so far I have installed or built the following for her ( yes all trucks are named after woman it helps when cursing them out on the trail. )

Front axle out of a 85' with: trussed top,All Pro Large diff cover,30 spline Longs,Cryo'd 5.29's,Lockright locker,All Por Crossover steering arms,drag link, tie rod, fj 80 TRE's,FJ vented rotors,IFS calipers,1.5" wheel spacers

Rear axle out of 89' with : All Pro large diff cover, Cryo'd 5.29's, Detroit locker, FROR Full Floater kit, FJ vented rotors, IFS calipers

Engine : stock 22R, Header, Got propane kit

Drivetrain : W56, stock duels, FROR twin stick

Just got my Marlin 4" lift kit with some spare six stud steering arms the other day so that will be next on the list of things to do.

Last edited by crawlninspector; 07-30-2006 at 11:32 PM.
crawlninspector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 72782
i think if anyone has read my post it'd be obvious i'm a #1 so i guess i'll just buy my subscription to the newbie forum, i just liked using the toyota forum cause it was "gender specific" for my application, sorry for wasting your time y'all ('84 yota 3/4ton 22r JT header, magnaflow exhaust, comp cam, k&n air filter, 3.5" lift, 33x12.50s

Last edited by sam roth; 07-31-2006 at 06:41 AM.
sam roth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 06:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 41647
Howdy! I'm new to the mini-truck stuff .... I recently aquired a '79 LB, 22r, 4spd, rustbucket, now named "Tetnus II". I'm in the process of stripping it down to the frame and suspect it'll get a formula-four chassis or something close anyway. My plans are for a comfortable 4-seat tube-rig, propane inj. 22r, dual cases, 4.88's at 37's or 40's.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 3500
Newb or Not

well, if post count is how you guys measure newb status then i guess im a newb, even though ive been a member of this board for longer than most.
i had an '87 4runner that randy and i built up in 99 (SAS, duals, 5.29s, rears up front, chevy rears, blah, blah blah) before there were many people running that setup. we ran the con with our seldom seen before square tube drivelines (now everybody's doin em) Well i sold the runner and now im SASing a Taco, hope to be done by the end of the week. im trying to build a DD/fun moderate trail rig.
D44 front with OX and 4.88's, Taco rear with Detroit and 4.88's TG springs f/r, 37-1450 toyos, no duals for now, hopefully in the next year or so when i have the $$. thanks to everyone for the great BB. -Levi
dangerous toy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 05:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 73194
wooooow. I feel like even more of a newb then the other guys that have posted on here. All I've got is a stock 84 yota that's in a million pieces on my shop floor, in the middle of being painted and all. But I plan on using TG's 4 inch lift with some 34's and some 4.88's with an extra case. But yeah hope to get some "non-newb" posts in soon.
wentz912 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 29694
my dad just bought me an 86 4runner with a blown motor. were still working out the details on weather or not i get the drivetrain off his rig: diamond axles front and rear, arb's, marlin crawler dual ultimate, high angle CV drivelines, 30 spline bobby long front axle stuff, 4 wheel disc brakes, new(er) 22re, fror Tcase crossmember and a linked rear suspension, TR beadlocked 37's...

first i need a job to buy car insurance and gas money...
dirtyskivies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 06:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 77037
Newb to PBB, 99 RAV4L

Hello!

I found this BB because my 1999 Toyota RAV4 L has stopped running. We had it tuned up and the oil changed before driving to Albuquerque from Kansas City and back in June. It developed a squeak before returning home, we figured it was due to the heat and dryness of the New Mexico climate. It drove back fine, though the squeak was still there. We've been home almost a month and the squeak did reduce but then we started hearing a rattle under the hood. Saturday we had over 100 degree heat and the car stopped running after the rattle became very loud. I noticed a puddle of antifreeze under the passenger side of the engine after it stopped running. The car does have power as the A/C, security system and radio still work without apparent power loss. It does seem to want to turn over when I attempted to start it again Saturday before giving up and towing it home, but it never got going. I should probably mention it's a standard transmission. A mechanic friend thinks we may have lost the water pump but hasn't actually seen the car yet. Just posting on this board to determine if I can learn more about the problem and what I'm getting into financially to have it fixed. Thanks for any suggestions, I'm glad this board is here. Kristina
kristinaning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 66484
I'm a #2 with more trips to the FAQ section than I can remember - 83 truck with an 88 22re conversion about 3/4 way done, W56, dual ultimate (parts still in boxes) 35" MTR's, 5.29's, Detroit rear, ARB front, 30 spline Longs (also in boxes) 63" chevies (in the bed)

Basically I need to get off my ass and get the damn thing done. Story of my life!
BlueOvalRacing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 77141
i have what usto be an 86 runner, now its about 90% tube,only toyota sheat meatle is hood,firewall,& roof(between A&B piller).84 ft axle,91v6 rear,5.29s,detroits,dule cases,35 in tines.The bad part of the rig is stock berfs,and steering(FOR NOW).........................................im a newb to the site, but not to the trail........................... (GREAT SITE GUYS)
alreadyinuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2006, 05:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 74280
im a newb to toyota, but not to wheelin, sometime this or next week i am trading my cherokee for a 84 with a 22r on 35's, and he is giving me $500. it has 3 inch lift and 3 inch bl , i will most likely take the bl out, do new shocks, 4inch springs, new tires, new brake lines, axle protection, homemade bumper, sliders, winch. i plan on driving it for a year until i graduate, then takeing it off the road and doing new axles, gears, lockers, full cage, bob or flatebed, and a full marlin lift. also i am a newb to rock crawlin because in nj there are no rocks, unless you go to rauch creek or paragon, neither or which i've been to yet but i plan on it once i get the yota. Thanks, Matt.
always eating mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Extended Member

Member # 69765
In new to Pirate, kinda new to off roading, not new to wrenching.
I have a 1996 4Runner Limited that has the Sonoran Steel lift on it.
Follow my adventures on Instagram:
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 30958
I'm not a newb to PBB or wheeling...but I am a newb to toyotas.

My jungle gym with wheels is an 81 toy with D44s front and rear. Front is arb locked and the rear is H/P with a detroit running 5:38s.

Front suspension is good ol' leaf spring with hysteer and the in back is a three link with sway-away coilovers.

Currently in the process of installing my first hydro assist I got from rockstomper, as well as his motormounts.

Motor is the 22r with a five speed and dual cases.

pic of my ride: http://www.norcal-ls1.com/multimedia...146217-med.jpg

98 Trans Am-
SDPC LS2 402 stroker, Hooker Super Comp LT's, SPEC 3 clutch, 3.73's w/ Eaton posi
Bandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 77140
hi i am new here. i am building my truck right now. it is a 86 toyota pickup body on a 75 blazer frame. dana 44 in front 12 bolt in rear with front and rear lockers, 4.88 gears, 39.5 irok's, probably 10 to 12 inches of lift. i am building my motor this weekend. it is a 350 smallblock with a couple of torque boosting goodies. after this weekend all i have to do is fab a rollcage, tube bumpers, sliders, square driveshafts, mount my winch (warn 8274), and put seats and five points in in it and then wheel the hell out of it.
bamawheelr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 56775
Been a member for a couple months and mostly read and search. Just finished the SAS on my 88 runner. Some buddies and I went up to Swamp lake this last week and walked right past two broken Jeeps... it was great! I can't believe how well it performs. I was planning on doing a build thread but there are so many already. Here's what it has:

5.29s front and rear
Aussie's front and rear
TG 4" front kit (hanger moved forward .75")
TG 5" rear kit w/ Sky's shock hanger
PS brace
Rotor vents cut off except for brake bracket
Square front shaft (temporary)
35" MTR
Marlin 4.70 transfer
Large front diff. armor

When I did the swap I rebuilt or replaced everything. When I bought it, the transmission had recently been rebuilt by Marlin, and it had a blown head gasket. Ended up rebuilding whole motor and it runs great. I'd list my future plans but that would be a long list.

Thanks for putting such a comprehensive source together!
jerimy75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 77264

I am replying to the requirement as a Nebie to the post. I am a toyota pickup(94) and FJ40 owner. Both vehicles rock!
theodon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 10:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 51982
Hey I'm new to Pirate but not to hardcore wheeling. I'm currently building an 85 4Runner plans are, 36"SX's, 5.29's, dual cases, detroits frt & rr, 30 spline longs up front, bob the rear & an exo cage.
orimonroe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 55512
Well Ive been around a while now and I know to keep my mouh shut and learn by reading, but I'd still consider myself a newb. Ive been wheeling with friends but I just bought my first truck yesterday. Its an 82 on 36s with a 5 speed swapped in. It has way too much body lift but that will be coming out. My plans are a trip to hollister this weekend for a maiden voyage.
cheap sunglasses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 77337
Just checking in. I have an 85 4runner with a 3" Skyjacker lift, 33s, 4.56 gears, v6 in rear, spool in back lockright in front, sliders, all-pro rear bumper and so on. Not new to trucks, but new to this style of wheelin(mustly mud before).
ol yeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in