? properly remove pitman arm, help ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 5342
Location: Mid CA West Bay Area next to NASA Jet dudes! 3hrs to RUBICON!!
? properly remove pitman arm, help ?

Trying to swap out hi steer Pitman Arm for a 1" drop arm
arm was put on about 2 yrs ago.

I sprayed penetrating fluid on the shaft- top and bottom
Hitting it with a hammer (best I can with it still in truck)
Big 2 foot breaker bar to pry from frame to arm
I put a puller on it, not budging
I used a torch, heated up on the outer part of the arm

I searched in a few threads

How do you get these Freakin Things off !!! ?

thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

85 4Runner
92 4runner

toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 39727
I left my pitman arm puller on overnight with lots of penetrating fluid then in the morning i just tapped it with a hammer.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
I tighten the puller till it looks like it's about to break, and then beat on the arm where it splines onto the box. pops off everytime. never had a stubborn one.
NOODLES is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 5342
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLES
I tighten the puller till it looks like it's about to break, and then beat on the arm where it splines onto the box. pops off everytime. never had a stubborn one.
thanks Guys,
YEp I have done both of these

at first I put the puller on But where I have to put on wrench is where the Leaf springs are , the puller Bolt is at a Slight angle So I turned the Wheels left and now the Puller is Tight on both pull arm sides. ( puller bolt still slightly at an angle)

-Sitting since last night
Penetrating Fluid
Puller on tight, --I think it's going to Grenade on me each time I turn it !
Old 09-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 59
Ditto. A mixture of both of those should work. An a cheap HF puller won't cut it.

Put anti-seize on the splines when you reassemble it and it will be MUCH easier to remove next time.

ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 47089
Sorry, I don't have pics handy. I tried the above when I was installing my flat pitman. But, I didn't have a decent gear puller and I didn't care too much if I had the pitman as a spare. I opted to cut it. I cut the side nearly all the way to the splines with an angle grinder (cutting blade) and finished splitting it with a chisel. 15 minutes later I was tighting the nut for the replacement flat pitman.

Post up what works for you. I am swapping steering boxes this weekend and I am going to try and salvage the other pitman this time.

x2 on anti-seize.
SeriesLandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 32061
Send a message via AIM to waskillywabbit Send a message via Yahoo to waskillywabbit
Use a good pitman arm puller. Soak it with penetrant. Tighten the puller down and when you get it good and tight...hit the end of the pin that you have been tightening on the puller a few times w/ a BFH. Turn it as much as you can again...sometime maybe only a 1/4 turn or less...repeat. Took about 5 minutes of doing this and mine dropped off on a hit w/ the BFH.

Anti-seize is a definite good idea for the re-install.

Good luck and patience.

waskillywabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Send a message via AIM to steveh
Go to Autozone and get the free loaner Pitman arm puller, works sweet, so sweet in fact, I paid for it and kept it!

"Wow this is unbelievable"

steveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 5342
I'm not cutting it of , but thanks

ABSOLUTELY ANTI Freeze !

I use it Religiously now

I had a friend pull the old one off as I did not have a puller handy and he must have slammed the new one on

Allways do the work yourself !!

I will write back what I did
Old 09-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 10796
I've found that the best way to remove anything with a taper (pitman arms, ball joints, etc) is to hit two opposing sides with equal weight hammers. This method has never failed me.

grab two medium sized hammers of equal weights. One hammer in each hand, smack both sides of the splined ring portion of the pitman arm at the same time. It's important that both hammers hit at the same time with a good solid opposing hit. The arm will usually fall right off, or be much easier to pull off.

Note: leave the nut hanging on by about half it's threads so you don't destroy the shaft if you miss the arm.

USMC 0311
Semper Fi
CWToyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5342
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWToyota
I've found that the best way to remove anything with a taper (pitman arms, ball joints, etc) is to hit two opposing sides with equal weight hammers. This method has never failed me.

grab two medium sized hammers of equal weights. One hammer in each hand, smack both sides of the splined ring portion of the pitman arm at the same time. It's important that both hammers hit at the same time with a good solid opposing hit. The arm will usually fall right off, or be much easier to pull off.

Note: leave the nut hanging on by about half it's threads so you don't destroy the shaft if you miss the arm.
CWT

this sounds great and all but the arm is the width or smaller than the Gear box Body, How to hit the small side of the arm
Old 09-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 74425
pulling anything with a taper

what u do is you get the correct puller for the job and u get a big air impact with an impact socket. if you get good pullers they can take the abuse. the slam of the impact loosens the depris that is in there and they come right off, even without any lube.
WeeMan006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
eep

Member # 3116
I used a lot of penetrating fluid, an Autozone pitman arm puller, breaker bar and a BFH.
Spray fluid liberally and often. Lube the threads on the puller. Whack the breaker bar with BFH. Lather, rinse and repeat. Use eye protection when combining breaker bar with BFH(ask me how I know)
Old 09-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 34458
Send a message via AIM to RedPlastic2p3t Send a message via Yahoo to RedPlastic2p3t
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMan006
what u do is you get the correct puller for the job and u get a big air impact with an impact socket. if you get good pullers they can take the abuse. the slam of the impact loosens the depris that is in there and they come right off, even without any lube.
x2 except i rented the ghettozone one and asked them if i break it would i have to pay for it, and they said no, so out came the air impact driver
RedPlastic2p3t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 41789
I grenaded the autozone puller with the impact and ended up having to cut it off, tried everything I could think of first though. Used anti sieze for the new one and now it comes off everytime.
alk1174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWToyota
I've found that the best way to remove anything with a taper (pitman arms, ball joints, etc) is to hit two opposing sides with equal weight hammers.
This is pretty much what I do on the trail, or if my puller doesn't work easily in the shop. Only difference is that I huge a LARGE sledgehammer held firm against the back, and the biggest hammer I can easily swing to smack across from it. The resulting squeeze almost always works, but definitely anti-seize that sucker when you reassemble.

I feel much better impact-loading radially in line with the bearings than smacking the shaft along its length, perpendicular to the bearings.

Randii
randii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 5776
There is one method that works almost as well as the opposing hammers trick, when you don't have room for two hammers.

Try this. It's gotten 3 problem pitman's off for me...

1) Remove puller. Reinstall so that bolt is as straight as possible.
2) Tighten as tight as you are comfortable with.
3) Apply hammer. DO NOT hit the pitman arm. Hitting the pitman arm just cocks it to the side and puts it in a bind. Hit the puller bolt square on the top of the head, like you're trying to drive the bolt up through the center of the output shaft on the box. Hit it hard about a dozen times.
4) Re-torque puller. It should come off with a half dozen or less repetitions of #2 and #3.

If you have to hit the pitman arm, do like someone suggested and hit it where the arm is splined onto the box. At all costs, avoid hitting the end of the arm where the steering linkage mounts up. It doesn't help.

Last edited by TNToy; 09-21-2006 at 06:00 PM.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 63286
I just had mione off and all I needed was a Autozone Puller(they make them specifically for pitman arms) and my 1/2 socket wrench for the puller bolt, came right off no problem
evilhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 21887
Send a message via AIM to extremetoy
i got a 13 doller pittman arm puller from a local auto store then cranked on it as hard as i could with a 1/2 in drive. It wouldnt budge so i took a piece of tube i had lying around(6-7 ft) and it popped right off. i thought it broke something when it let loose.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 10796
Quote:
CWT

this sounds great and all but the arm is the width or smaller than the Gear box Body, How to hit the small side of the arm
I'm talking about hitting the pitman arm radially, it would look like this if you were looking straight up at the shaft from below:

--> O <--

arrows indicate hammer blows.

USMC 0311
Semper Fi
CWToyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26857
Send a message via MSN to Fawk Awph
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh
Go to Autozone and get the free loaner Pitman arm puller, works sweet, so sweet in fact, I paid for it and kept it!

i agree, i work as les schwab, we were having problems getting a superduty arm off for a lift with our $100 plus puller when i told them to go across the street to autozone and get their puller, everyone was skeptical when they pulled the tiny little puller out of the box, but it works awesome. we went back and bought it from them and use it in the shop all the time.

i reccomend using a decent 1/2" drive gun. some of them are kinda pussy, get a good one that puts out 250 fl.lbs at least. and it shoudl just pop off even without a hammer.

Callen
Old 09-21-2006, 11:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 19325
penetrating lube over night, and 3 guys hitting it with hammers. hard on the bottom and lightly on the sides, tried vato zone puller, the one they had was too small, so i borrowed a matco puller from one of the techs at work.

i also used the impact tighten then hammer method.

and i aint got no bitch impact, 650ftlbs tight, 1000 ftlbs loose.
tanman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 01:02 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNToy
There is one method that works almost as well as the opposing hammers trick, when you don't have room for two hammers.

Try this. It's gotten 3 problem pitman's off for me...

1) Remove puller. Reinstall so that bolt is as straight as possible.
2) Tighten as tight as you are comfortable with.
3) Apply hammer. DO NOT hit the pitman arm. Hitting the pitman arm just cocks it to the side and puts it in a bind. Hit the puller bolt square on the top of the head, like you're trying to drive the bolt up through the center of the output shaft on the box. Hit it hard about a dozen times.
4) Re-torque puller. It should come off with a half dozen or less repetitions of #2 and #3.

If you have to hit the pitman arm, do like someone suggested and hit it where the arm is splined onto the box. At all costs, avoid hitting the end of the arm where the steering linkage mounts up. It doesn't help.

This works well

[COLOR=Red]--

:evil: # 530.532.4529:evil:[/COLOR]
TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
:evil:-[COLOR="Red"]Awesome web development for your business[/COLOR].

SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 66914
good thread i broke my puller 2 days ago, now i know a few other things to try
Old 09-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 31353
Send a message via AIM to Kaptain
I never had luck with regular pullers.. You gotta have a Pitman arm puller and Penetrating fluid. Everything mentioned above definitely helps, but having the correct tool is the FIRST step!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in