Steering Box rebuild kit PN - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Steering Box rebuild kit PN

FYI-Need to rebuild your IFS steering box. You can get the seal kit from Toyota. Here is the PN for the box on my 90. Cost, around $50.00.
Attached Images

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 16270
Send a message via AIM to b2dude
i remember there being more discussion in this thread...deleted for why?
is this the complete rebuild kit or is the guy from texas mentioned here the guy to get it from?

::edit:: from the website since the link is being picky...
Quote:
The first thing you need is a seal kit. The only place in the known universe to get a complete kit is from:
John A. Vargus
[email protected]
P.O. Box 201195
Austin, Texas 78720

Last edited by b2dude; 08-26-2007 at 09:24 PM.
b2dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 52842
I need to do mine as well, search "steering rebuild" in the toy section and you will find plenty of how-to info. As far as parts, it looks like dealer, the one you posted, and these guys:

http://www.prosteering.com/k_toyota_truck.htm

If anyone knows which ones are still in business or any experience ordering from them, that would be great info.
thewizard182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
I do not know if John is still selling them. When I bought mine from him, it was complete OEM parts.

The PN I pictured was for a later style and it was complete.

I know nothing about the aftermarket kit, but I do know that when I bought an aftermarket from NAPA for my PS pump it was a POS and started leaking two days later. Purchased a OEM kit from the dealer and it was still going strong a couple of years later when I took it off and put the PSC TC pump on.

These kits only come with all the seals, nothing else like bearings or parts for the relife valve.

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53227
gates seal kit: 349440
xgeekstarx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
Can anyone confirm that this kit works on '86-'89 steering boxes? I called my local dealer and they told me the seals are only available individually. I've got a call into my preferred dealer to see if they have any better info.

Last edited by Arya Ebrahimi; 11-06-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Arya Ebrahimi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 94542
my local dealer told me the same thing but you give them the part # on the bag and they will show it and want mucho cashola. trdparts4u.com has it for 40 bux. the kit is the same for all ifs boxes 86-95.5 all the orings/seals inside are identical as far as i have seen. i pinched the piston o ring on my early 86-88 box when i tapped it. i had a late 89-95.5 box that had a leaky input seal so i pulled the o ring off and used it after comming to the conclusion that all the seals matched up including the input (sector shaft) seal.

florida association of toyota trucks

subliminaltrips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminaltrips View Post
my local dealer told me the same thing but you give them the part # on the bag and they will show it and want mucho cashola. trdparts4u.com has it for 40 bux. the kit is the same for all ifs boxes 86-95.5 all the orings/seals inside are identical as far as i have seen. i pinched the piston o ring on my early 86-88 box when i tapped it. i had a late 89-95.5 box that had a leaky input seal so i pulled the o ring off and used it after comming to the conclusion that all the seals matched up including the input (sector shaft) seal.

thx for the link, just ordered

Description Price Core Qty Total
OEM Catalog
GASKET KIT,CROSS SHA 32.64 0.00 1 32.64
Sub Total: $32.64
Shipping: UPS GROUND 8.99
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $41.63

[COLOR=Red]--

:evil: # 530.532.4529:evil:[/COLOR]
TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO
:evil:-[COLOR="Red"]Awesome web development for your business[/COLOR].

SeaBass44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 94542

Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 7876
Send a message via AIM to Arya Ebrahimi
Thought I would post this in here as well. This info is for the '86-'89 boxes:

From talking to my dealer friend, Toyota offers two kits for this box. The first kit is a partial kit and only covers the sector shaft seals. The part # for the partial kit is 04455-35020(~$50). The part number for the full kit which has all of the seals for the whole box including the input shaft seals and everything is 04445-35080(~$100).
Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 94542
yea thats friggin weird because i just looked there last week and used the same part number 04445-35080 and it came up as 42$

Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16789
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass44 View Post
thx for the link, just ordered

Description Price Core Qty Total
OEM Catalog
GASKET KIT,CROSS SHA 32.64 0.00 1 32.64
Sub Total: $32.64
Shipping: UPS GROUND 8.99
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $41.63

How did you adapt an IFS Box to a dirt bike??

shipping and free returns

Wanted! Solid axle steering boxes from 1979-1985 toyota pick-ups and four runners. PM me for details.
Wanted! Power assist Rams and Valves from 75-77 Ford F-250's. PM me for details.
montezuma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma View Post
How did you adapt an IFS Box to a dirt bike??

no more bike
Attached Images

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 94542
so thats how you open the hood on the damn thing....

Old 11-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
so thats how you open the hood on the damn thing....

it's one way

I got an email this am requesting a shipping address, I messed up & used autofill & it didn't put in city, so now my parts are on the way with no delay! they are on the ball

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 11-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 94542
sweet, when you get it you should take pictures of the kit layed out on a table so we can see what all comes in it. and if anybody orders the other kit that arya was talking about do the same so we can compare. i would order one but im so friggin broke right now if i did id be lucky to eat ramen noodles for a week.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 40
Quote:
sweet, when you get it you should take pictures of the kit layed out on a table so we can see what all comes in it. and if anybody orders the other kit that arya was talking about do the same so we can compare. i would order one but im so friggin broke right now if i did id be lucky to eat ramen noodles for a week.

I will
got this for my right hand drive 92 surf box, paid $349 for that so what is another $41

Think I will tap my old lhd box 1st as practice

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Old 11-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 94542
when i tapped mine it wasnt too bad but now that im running the high output tc style pump the seals in the box are showing their ass. i ordered the one seal from napa # nos7007 p/s worm shaft seal today for $4 an im going to try to get by with that for our 1st annual fattshack turkey day run.

Last edited by subliminaltrips; 11-08-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 94542
i have a tc style pump which calls for synthetic ps fluid. ive always ran dexron mercron type atf in the p/s system untill upgrading. i figure that may be why it leaks, something about the switch the seals were pissed off at.

i was exaggerating alot, i bought a case of synpower p/s fluid when i got the pump because it was cheap, it doesnt leak that bad , just enough to attract a crapload of dust. and i got the seal from napa , heres a pic of the leaky input on the box and the seal i got from napa.

oh and i totally understand your point about that... post edited.

Last edited by subliminaltrips; 11-08-2007 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 52567
Mine leaks down off of the shaft for the pitman arm. Does that mean I screwed up the teflon seal on the inside while tapping for hydro?
VolcomMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 50137
Send a message via AIM to msmoke
Does anyone have the p/n or a source for fj 60 box rebuild kits? Mine leaky leaky when it gets warm.
msmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2007, 03:57 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 94542
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomMan View Post
Mine leaks down off of the shaft for the pitman arm. Does that mean I screwed up the teflon seal on the inside while tapping for hydro?
no it doesnt mean that you did mess up the teflon seal it means you might have. there is a regular flap seal on the outside , the teflon seal is inside a snap ring that is between it and the flap seal.

heres a good write up i found.

http://128.83.80.200/taco/box.html

Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 94542
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmoke View Post
Does anyone have the p/n or a source for fj 60 box rebuild kits? Mine leaky leaky when it gets warm.
go to your dealer and ask... ypu can also look it up on www.trdparts4u.com with a year make and model search. if you cant figure out which one call the dealer or go in with a list of all the possible p/n's and see which one they show on the computer or microfiche.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 94542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Ebrahimi View Post
Can anyone confirm that this kit works on '86-'89 steering boxes? I called my local dealer and they told me the seals are only available individually. I've got a call into my preferred dealer to see if they have any better info.
i ordered the same kit that oops litsted today from toyota of dallas and they wanted my vin number , i gave them the vin from the 87 runner out back and they told me the part wont fit this truck and that its for the late box, ive inspected the cross shaft gaskets/o rings and seals and put a mic on the cross shaft on both style boxes and there is absolutley no difference in that part of the box. you can actually take the cross shaft out of the late box and put it in the early box and vice versa. i told them to just ship the damn thing.... seabass you get yours yet?

Last edited by subliminaltrips; 11-12-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 40
didn't come yet, got my new 5" TG rear leafs to match the front though

just did a sas on my Buddy's 90 4runner, these are way soft,will flex insane!

[COLOR=Red]--

TTC 2010 1989 BRONCO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in