Source for flatt-er pitman arms - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21000
Send a message via AIM to CPOM
Source for flatt-er pitman arms

I read the alternate pitman arm threads in the FAQ as I am looking for a pitman as long as the IFS pitman but with less drop, (not flat)

So far all I've found is the Sky Pitman (3/4 drop). I will call them on monday to ask but in the meantime does any of you guys actually have this pitman to see what the dimensional differences are? Does 3/4 mean 3/4" less drop or three fourths the drop of the stock pitman?

Any other sources of these flatt-er pitman arms would be appreciated.

From what I've read the 2wd pitman, being shorter, does not provide the amount of throw required.
CPOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11570
I have the sky arm. Its 3/4" less drop. I can measure total drop, if you need it.

Its BEEF. I didn't like the price, but it fit perfect, and will never break.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
and will never break.
That is something you never say about a rockcrawler or it's parts, that is bad JuJu!!!!!!!

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!

Last edited by OOP'S; 06-30-2007 at 12:10 PM.
OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16789
The FJ80 pitman arms have less drop than stock, but I don't know about the length.

shipping and free returns

Wanted! Solid axle steering boxes from 1979-1985 toyota pick-ups and four runners. PM me for details.
Wanted! Power assist Rams and Valves from 75-77 Ford F-250's. PM me for details.
montezuma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 21000
Much shorter, maybe a full inch. There is a comparison pic in the faq under "pitman".
Old 06-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 21000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
I have the sky arm. Its 3/4" less drop. I can measure total drop, if you need it.
So when you say 3/4" less drop, does that mean swapping from the trail-gear arm to this arm will net me 3/4" more clearance under the TRE?

I may be overthinking it but I just want to make sure both arms are the same thickness at the TRE hole making the measurements relative. The Sky arm looks thicker and if it's 3/4" less drop and, say, 1/4" thicker at the TRE hole, it might only give you say 1/2" more clearance under the TRE. See what I mean? Just looking for an exact explantion to see if it will fit under my frame rail with minimal cutting before I buy one.

Last edited by CPOM; 06-30-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by montezuma View Post
The FJ80 pitman arms have less drop than stock, but I don't know about the length.
They are a little longer, and the rod is rotated to a different angle.

Thank you to our loyal customers!

Diamond Axle

Diamond axled buggies take 2 1st's, at Worlds WEROCK!!

Front Range Off-Road Fab with NEW forum!

NEW BUILD FTOY #44

Brian Ellinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Member # 5579
That's a good idea, but the turning radius and effective steering power might be reduced by the shorter leverage arm. It would make driving the twisties on the way to the trail head more enjoyable though

Official Birthplace of the Rock Crawling Industry

BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 21000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
That's a good idea, but the turning radius and effective steering power might be reduced by the shorter leverage arm. It would make driving the twisties on the way to the trail head more enjoyable though
Just the opposite actually. Shorter pitman means you trade distance for force. Longer pitman means you trade force for distance. Think about an exaggeration: A 3' long pitman is not even going to budge the tires.......
Old 07-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Member # 5579
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOM View Post
Just the opposite actually. Shorter pitman means you trade distance for force. Longer pitman means you trade force for distance. Think about an exaggeration: A 3' long pitman is not even going to budge the tires.......
Ummm...... A longer pitman arm will have more force due to it's longer leverage and also will cover a greater distance due to its increased radius.

If you take a 3' long pitman arm, then you could move the drag link 3' from the p/s box.

I think you are confusing distance with acceleration. A shorter arm will accelerate the rotation of the knuckle (steering) at a greater rate, but it will reduce the turning radius (distance) when not limited by the steering stops.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Member # 5579
Ok, I see what you are saying.

If you leave the steering gear ratio of the box alone, then a 3' long pitman arm would require more revolutions to the steering box input in order to turn the pitman arm 90.

But when not limited, a 3' pitman arm would clearly be able to displace the drag link a much greater distance than a 1' pitman arm.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Member # 5579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick View Post
Say the steering box at the section shafts puts out 1000 in/lbs (total fictionious number) when you turn the wheel with your hand, then a 10" long pitman arms can push the drag link with (1000/10)= 100 lbs of force. But if the Pitman arm was 5" long, that would convert to (1000/5)= 200 lbs of force. Hence the shorter the pitman arm - the more force you can apply to the knuckle.

I think your confused Mike with the idea of a breaker bar - longer is better - since you applying a force to the lever, instead of converting the "torque/moment" into a force over distance vector. This is were the torque is constant and the length of the lever is the variable. Let me know if I'm wrong - but this is how I look at it.
You Sir are correct I am thinking in reverse Maybe opposites day only applies to me

Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 21000
What do you guys consider the 3rd gen pickup? 1995+?

Last edited by CPOM; 07-06-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 37212
Quote:
Sky's arm is 3/4" HIGHER then a OEM pitman arm. Hence the Tie Rod is 3/4" higher, which means you should have 3/4" more clearance between the tie rod end and the leaf spring.
My net gain was more than 3/4" because the stock pitman had the ball joint stud pointing down and through Skys custom drag link end. The stud stuck through the end and had a nut on it. When I installed the 3/4 drop arm I got from you Rick, the new ball joint points up and the threads are now out of harms way.

I think I gained over an inch when you consider the stud. That was all I needed to stop getting the dang pitman arm stuck on my leaf spring. That was really annoying and I'm so happy to have that fixed.

Chass
ct
Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 3499
Quote:
89+ trucks are 3rd gens... Not tacos.

Make sure you get the pitman arm for the power steering gearbox. The manual steering gearboxes have a smaller sector shaft and will not bolt onto the IFS steering box.
We just measured the sector off a third gen (92) with power and its diameter is smaller than the wheel drive's. has anyone done this or are we using the wrong year?

The box on the sami pic above has four bolts....is it a two wheel drive box?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 20610
Send a message via AIM to gotmuddy Send a message via Yahoo to gotmuddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOM View Post
From what I've read the 2wd pitman, being shorter, does not provide the amount of throw required.
My 85 has a 2wd pitman arm I believe because my wheels dont turn nearly tight enough.

**edit** nevermind, mine has some kind of custom flat one on...ill take a pic in a few.

Last edited by gotmuddy; 07-24-2007 at 09:08 AM.
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 3499
Thanks rick, we'll have to keep hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in