D60 under a Toy - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2002, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
Cool D60 under a Toy

What do I have to do to put a D60 under a Toyota?
Brakes? Can I run the stock master and boost?
Steering? Can I use a stock box and arm?
Anything else?

In loving memory of Madelyn Rose Ekhilevsky
04/17/04 - 12/08/08
vova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2002, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1497
Well, assuming you are starting with a full width Dana 60( mine was a Dodge). Here is what I "kinda did". I had the long side cut down 3.5" and that spring perch moved the same. Now this allows for leaf springs to bolt up from stock Toy spring width center to center at least on my 4runner( 29"). Got long side inner cut/resplined. I did not want to outboard hangers 1.5" each side and have to totally redo a shackle mount under the frame. Now mine has dually hubs, so I opted to go with hummer beadlocks vs spending the $$ on single wheel hubs or time converting mine. As far as brakes go, Use the stock Toy booster, but then adapt a 1984 Ford F350 master to it. To do this you get a small square of 1/4" thick plate. Drill it to accept the 4 Toy studs on the booster, and also accept the 2 from the F350 master. You will have to make a small rod close to 1" to make up the distance in the cylinder to have enough length to push the "piston" in on top of the stock Toy rod. Very simple. Now I completely ran new brakelines front and rear since all my drivetrain is now SAE. In your case, get some adapters to go from Metric to SAE and plug your lines into the F350 master. Same goes at the axle end, get some custom lines made that have 10mm Toy Female on one end, and I believe 3/16 male on the other to go to the D60 calipers. As far as steering, An IFS Toy box will work fine assuming you are going to run 38"tires or less, or you better go hydro assist. Are u planning on moving the axle forward beyond 2" of stock? You will need a Drag link that has Toyota TRE to go to the pitman, and the other built for the GM rod end. I suggest putting a beefier TRE at the pitman! I am keeping the Tie rod in the stock location, below the springs for simplicity, and to mount my ram to. High X-over would not be hard either. I did have to get a custom pass side steering arm, but thats no biggie. Check out www.shakerbuilt.com , or www.rockstomper.com for steering arms, Tie rods, Drag links ect.. I am getting most my stuff from Tim aka "Shaker". Then you will need to adapt the driveshaft to fit whatever size yoke u run on the D60, and obviosly match gears with the rear. Got any Q's just ask. Good luck!!
Old 06-17-2002, 07:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Piratenite

Member # 4
Send a message via Yahoo to camo
get it !

Old 06-17-2002, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon
front or rear? You can make a simple adapter plate to run any master cylinder you want, or what I did was just bolt on the stuff from a toy car - it was 15/16ths, works fine..

If front go ahead and put a hydroboost on there
Old 06-17-2002, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10379
well if i had a 60 layin around,
I would let you know.
fabricator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2002, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 3694
Quote:
Originally posted by Ricktard
Well, assuming you are starting with a full width Dana 60( mine was a Dodge). Here is what I "kinda did". I had the long side cut down 3.5" and that spring perch moved the same. Now this allows for leaf springs to bolt up from stock Toy spring width center to center at least on my 4runner( 29"). Got long side inner cut/resplined. I did not want to outboard hangers 1.5" each side and have to totally redo a shackle mount under the frame. Now mine has dually hubs, so I opted to go with hummer beadlocks vs spending the $$ on single wheel hubs or time converting mine. As far as brakes go, Use the stock Toy booster, but then adapt a 1984 Ford F350 master to it. To do this you get a small square of 1/4" thick plate. Drill it to accept the 4 Toy studs on the booster, and also accept the 2 from the F350 master. You will have to make a small rod close to 1" to make up the distance in the cylinder to have enough length to push the "piston" in on top of the stock Toy rod. Very simple. Now I completely ran new brakelines front and rear since all my drivetrain is now SAE. In your case, get some adapters to go from Metric to SAE and plug your lines into the F350 master. Same goes at the axle end, get some custom lines made that have 10mm Toy Female on one end, and I believe 3/16 male on the other to go to the D60 calipers. As far as steering, An IFS Toy box will work fine assuming you are going to run 38"tires or less, or you better go hydro assist. Are u planning on moving the axle forward beyond 2" of stock? You will need a Drag link that has Toyota TRE to go to the pitman, and the other built for the GM rod end. I suggest putting a beefier TRE at the pitman! I am keeping the Tie rod in the stock location, below the springs for simplicity, and to mount my ram to. High X-over would not be hard either. I did have to get a custom pass side steering arm, but thats no biggie. Check out www.shakerbuilt.com , or www.rockstomper.com for steering arms, Tie rods, Drag links ect.. I am getting most my stuff from Tim aka "Shaker". Then you will need to adapt the driveshaft to fit whatever size yoke u run on the D60, and obviosly match gears with the rear. Got any Q's just ask. Good luck!!
Geee wonder where got this info......LOL....

Too Many Projects not enough Time...:D
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2002, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
Quote:
Originally posted by Ricktard
Yea, i'm getting a Dodge too I think i'll try to use my stock brakes setup first and see how it works
Thanks for the info...

04/17/04 - 12/08/08
Old 07-10-2002, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9761
Send a message via Yahoo to whitebrowithafro
Vova, are you cutting yours down, or are you going full width? And what did you use for the rear axle??
Old 07-10-2002, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
Quote:
Originally posted by whitebrowithafro
Vova, are you cutting yours down, or are you going full width? And what did you use for the rear axle??
Yea, i'm cutting my Chevy down 3" and running a 14-bolt in the back...

04/17/04 - 12/08/08
Old 07-10-2002, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 9761
5.13's and AP springs?? And what inners are you going to use on the drivers side?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
Quote:
5.13's and AP springs?? And what inners are you going to use on the drivers side?
yes-
I'm getting the inners cut down.

04/17/04 - 12/08/08
Old 07-10-2002, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Brake master from a '76 Chevy 3/4T 4x4 with the big rear brakes, works very well, and is extremely easy (IMHO) to adapt onto the Toy booster.

Cut a piece of 1/2" steel plate to big enough to cover the Toy bolt pattern.
Core a hole big enough for the master pilot (1.25"?) in the middle of it.
Drill the Toy bolt pattern into it.
Drill the Chevy pattern (2 bolt) into it.
Countersink the Chevy pattern from the backside.
Bolt the Chevy master onto the plate with countersunk flathead bolts.
Bolt the plate to the Toy booster with the original nuts.
If yours is like mine, the pushrod doesn't even need to be adjusted.
Figure out the plumbing, and go play.

I'm using this setup with big Chevy front brakes, midsize Chevy car front calipers in the back, and 44's.

Steering, is cake. Just call--we do this all the time. You can use the Toy box and pitman, but you'll need the ratio a little shortened from standard Chevy on the right side crossover arm, because the Toy box doesn't have as much throw as the Dana axle needs to go lock to lock. We've got double D60 arms too, if you want to go farther than a couple inches forward of stock, so that you can put the tierod behind the axle instead of up front.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2002, 06:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Hey Ricktard - are you saying there is enough room on the long side to have the stock tapered style long side Dodge inner shaft shortened 3" or so, resplined, and still have a seal surface where it needs to be?

>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2002, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 1497
Quote:
Originally posted by DRM
Hey Ricktard - are you saying there is enough room on the long side to have the stock tapered style long side Dodge inner shaft shortened 3" or so, resplined, and still have a seal surface where it needs to be?
Yep, mine works perfect. My axle is from a '93 Dodge (last year of leaf sprung D60's, or at least last one before vacuum style). Moser cut down my longside shaft the 3.5". I also got another longside and had it cut down for a spare, just incase I ever broke that longside inner on the trail, I dont think anyone would have one I could use. I also put new 332x's on my shafts as well as converting to 35spline outers. So technically my weak link will be the inners they are from '93, and my stubs and u-joints are brand new. You want a pic of the longside before it went into the axle? May take me a day or so, because I am still Digi-less and must scan .
Old 07-11-2002, 08:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
DRM
Super Moderator

Member # 8
Yeah, a pic would be nice!

I am still flip-flopping back and forth on the narrowing issue. Seems LOTS easier to keep it stock full width, but narrowing would let me basically bolt it under my truck and not move the spring hangers.

A buddy will help me narrow it, so no cost except for the shaft work. I guess my other problem is then finding a similarly narrow 60 rear to match up or someone who is willing to narrow one side of the offset rear 60 I have

But from my impression of the stock tapered long side shafts, I was wondering if they could be cut down. I have a full set of inner spares on their way to me - so I will do some measuring and I may just go that route after all... Even better to - puts me almost the same width as my Toy was before with the stock axles

>It only hurts the first time you agree with me...
>"A little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men."
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2002, 03:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 9761
Vova ~ Are you going to run 16.5 rims to clear those fatty calipers, shave the calipers, or run 15"ers with a 2" backspacing?
Old 07-11-2002, 08:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
Quote:
Vova ~ Are you going to run 16.5 rims to clear those fatty calipers, shave the calipers, or run 15"ers with a 2" backspacing?
My plan is to run Hummer rims and either get new centers put in and make them like 5" BS.

04/17/04 - 12/08/08
Old 07-11-2002, 09:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 8937
Vova, don't waste your time even trying to use the Toyota M/C. I tried it and had to pump the pedal like 3 times to stop.

I have a picture of the M/C adapter on my web site.
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Yellow"]September 24-25, Wild West Motorsports Park, Reno, NV[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"][B][I]#199/4499 [/I][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR] - [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Silver"][B][I]Superchips, Maxxis, Trail Gear, Branik Machine Shop, Yukon, JE Reel, Rugged Radios, Lifetime LED, Sway-a-way[/I][/B].[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B][I][COLOR="Red"]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/COLOR][/I][/B][/SIZE]
mudtruck44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2002, 09:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
yea, Scott (rockstomper) is building me an adaptor plate to use with a chevy master

04/17/04 - 12/08/08
Old 07-11-2002, 10:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 9761
how much for scott's hook up? I am going 60/14blt also!
Old 07-11-2002, 10:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
Smile

Quote:
how much for scott's hook up? I am going 60/14blt also!
He was saying something like $35-$40 for the adaptor plate and hardware.
Email him http://www.rockstomper.com/

04/17/04 - 12/08/08

Last edited by vova; 07-11-2002 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 9761
Thanks I'll look into it!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 97667
Does anyone have the part # for the Chevy master cyclinder?
bthebudman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 139434
Here is the one I used:

Cardone 10-1584

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.7 tow rig

IG: @boomtacoma01

-Chris
Boomtacoma01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in