Pirate 4x4 banner

best way to seperate the wiring harness for removal(efi)

12K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  dirtyjed 
#1 ·
(EFI)

can the loom be brought from under the dash and stuffed through the hole in the firewall so the whole engine harness can be left in the engine bay and connected to the asorted sensors and fuel management junk? there are too many connectors on the engine electrics that can get fawked up when im frustrated and in a hurryy(like now).... (fingers crossed)

#3 ·
I think your going to have to pull the harness out through the cab. The harness goes out in a u shape from under the dash. I just pulled the harness out on my friends 85 pickup and it was easier pulling it out from the cab.:beer:

#6 ·
Yeah, It will work, I always do them this way... much much easier than f-ing with all those sensor and injector plugs!!! all you have to do is remove the three yellow (sometimes grey) plugs that connect to the ECU and pull the wiring harness through the firewall. Snake is right... those little clips can be a bitch, but not so much as taking the harness off the engine!!!

#11 ·
Tron said:
Are you selling all your toys and getting out of the hobby??
Yup he bought a pretty little Geo Metro and is cruzzzzin the :rainbow: bars in chico now, seems to be working for him:flipoff2: everthing looks bigger when you are in a Geo:flipoff2: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

#13 ·
Booger Weldz said:
i got your mom in the back of that metro last night:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
knowing you ................it was my
dad you :rainbow: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :flipoff2:

#15 ·
tipitover said:
If you pull it through to the engine side how do you disconnect the fuse block other than by cutting it? Or is that what all you guys did to get it to work?
that is on the drivers side, has nothing to do with the motor harness. that can be pulled after the motor is pulled. and yes you have to pull the other harness as a unit that "u" shapes around to each fender side.

#16 ·
But I thought Paul was changing his cab and he wasn't pulling the engine? If you change the cab you need to pull the wiring harness out of the cab, or am I wrong about him changing cabs?
can the loom be brought from under the dash and stuffed through the hole in the firewall so the whole engine harness can be left in the engine bay
Some of the guys on this post were saying that the harness can go out through the firewall, are you guys cuting the fuse box of or is there something htat I am missing?

#17 ·
tipitover said:
But I thought Paul was changing his cab and he wasn't pulling the engine? If you change the cab you need to pull the wiring harness out of the cab, or am I wrong about him changing cabs?

Some of the guys on this post were saying that the harness can go out through the firewall, are you guys cuting the fuse box of or is there something htat I am missing?
Paul has me :confused: as to wtf he is doing now:flipoff2: you can pull the motor with harness by dissconecting the computer and pulling that part into the engine bay. then unhook the afm wires and alt wires. the rest of the harness loops out each side of the dash to the fender wells in the engine bay and you have to take out the complete dash and steel support to remove the whole harness........;)

#18 ·
Ok, old thread being brought back to the top. I am removing a complete dash wiring harness from an 87' 4Runner with 22RE. I already removed the engine harness. What are you guys doing about the fuse block in the engine compartment? I assume the fuse block must be broken down in order to get the complete wiring out. Seems like the only way. What did you guys do?

#19 · (Edited)
sorry, this was years ago, but everything went apart easy, and then back in easy on the new cab and new motor...it fired right up as soon as i finished the plumbing and wiring...no cutting and splicing, un plug, pull out, put new harness in and plugged everthing back together, actually quite easy as i recall

this was a v6 auto extra cab going on a 1987 4runner frame with a 1990 22re/w56...factory wiring

#21 ·
pretty much same for all cars/trucks
I know 4runnerrick has stripped supra harness's & then went about removing all un-needed wires, like p/w p/l etc
I think you can find in detail how he did it in the FAQs under motor swaps, as far as I remember he has done the most complete harness pin-outs, reconstructions on the net, at least that I know of. he did the 3rz in a 2nd gen toy and now it's in a zuk:smokin:

#26 ·
This was way easier when i pulled mine, from cab into engine bay. Set all wiring shit on topish of engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.