22RE early to late intake swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 35904
22RE early to late intake swap

Howdy;

Posted this in newbie; but probably is more tech related than "can I put beadlocks on my 10 speed?" (You cant; I searched the FAQ.. )

I just picked up a totally rust free 86 4Runner; 22RE; totally bone stock and un-molested. Really a great score.. I swear I looked at about 10 1st gens all mostly junk or whored out..

PO snapped a timing chain a few months ago and did a total rebuild. I purchased it with supposedly less than a 100 miles on the rebuild.

I will post later (On a Tuesday of course) a symptom and fix for all of the issues I am coming across. (the PO was not having a good day doing this rebuild; install or tuning.. ) I am going to split all of the issues I am resolving and post them up (Some are in the FAQ but a few were not)

So; my question today is:

Early EFI to late EFI swap; in this case the intake manifold. I have the upper intake from a 90 22RE as a spare but no lower. I am not planning on swapping the entire EFI setup; just the upper half of the intake.

1. I have read that there is a performance improvement. Does anyone have real experience in this swap?
2. Is the lower intake the same for a early and a late? (Discounting injectors; looking at it from a performance standpoint)
3. Cold start idle air bypass (Air Valve). These are different designs from a 86 to a 90. Any one have any issues in swapping to the 90 style? It looks like it takes up much less space.

Thanx..
Elvis-n-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 10501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis-n-Texas View Post
Early EFI to late EFI swap; in this case the intake manifold. I have the upper intake from a 90 22RE as a spare but no lower. I am not planning on swapping the entire EFI setup; just the upper half of the intake.

1. I have read that there is a performance improvement. Does anyone have real experience in this swap?

You will gain 2.135436929 HP increase with this swap Do not put on any Crawler Turtle stickers on your rig with this mod as you will lose HP/performance. Instead you'll need to put on TRD Stickers as this will net you an additional 5-10HP increase

2. Is the lower intake the same for a early and a late? (Discounting injectors; looking at it from a performance standpoint)

Same lower for both early & late

3. Cold start idle air bypass (Air Valve). These are different designs from a 86 to a 90. Any one have any issues in swapping to the 90 style? It looks like it takes up much less space.

Unbolt the old one and hook up the coolant lines to the newer t-body
Thanx..
Here is a pic of a later upper intake/t-body on my 86 4runner. Just plug & play...
Attached Images

jmsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Almost everything is different between the 86 and the 90 EFI systems. Can't answer you on the lower intake but it could be because the injectors are different. Why not just change it too?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis-n-Texas View Post
So; my question today is:

Thanx..
1. I've done this twice. I did not notice any major improvement in performance from that mode, though I did install a bored throttle body at the same time and there may have been some improvement there. I do believe it helped, though.

2. They are different, but the difference is so minor most folks won't notice. The one difference is with the early lower intake. It has TWO ports at the temp sensor which make it easy to install another, aftermarket, sensor. The late model does not. The late model upper is a straight bolt on to the early lower.

3. The Air Flow Valve goes away when you install the late upper intake. Just unbolt and toss. You will need to re-route the coolent lines to the throttle body.

I did two short stories on this at: #1, and #2.

HTH

Last edited by Pappy; 12-29-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Send a message via AIM to steveh
Just ditching that Aux Air Valve makes it worth it. The heater coil in those burns up with age and quits working.

The Built in air valve in the late model TB works so much better for cold starts.

Electricly, the connector that goes to it is just supplying 12v to the heater coil, so it's no problem to leave it disconnected. I do recommend capping it so there is no way it can touch ground and cause a short.

Hose wise, i just got the later model hoses from the dealer. I'll see if i can find the receipt and post the P/N's. Any decent parts guy should be able to look them up.

The upper port near the t-stat housing may need to be tapped for a brass pipe fitting to replace the press in 90 elbow some older rigs have if using the older lower runners. I'm sure the 90 could be used with creative hose routing. The late model lower is already set up for the right fitting there

Make sure to use a combo of Teflon tape and a good thread sealer (Blue Magic is great stuff) on all the threaded fittings so there are no leaks

Lastly, you will need a late model throttle cable and bracket to replace the early style.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wow this is unbelievable"

steveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16809
back from the dead... i was going to pm pappy but he has not been online in 9 months.

i did this swap and i want to say there was an issue with the tps sensor from the newer tb and the 87 harness i had. i am having drivability issues that i think is due to the tps. do i have a weird year tb or should all the tps sensors fit one another? i know reading the tps check procedure the newer ones have different resistances than the older. on that note does the ecu have to match the tps? many questions, and the more i look the more questions i have! thanks for the help.

BigGreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 04:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 35904
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenMonster View Post
back from the dead... i was going to pm pappy but he has not been online in 9 months.

i did this swap and i want to say there was an issue with the tps sensor from the newer tb and the 87 harness i had. i am having drivability issues that i think is due to the tps. do i have a weird year tb or should all the tps sensors fit one another? i know reading the tps check procedure the newer ones have different resistances than the older. on that note does the ecu have to match the tps? many questions, and the more i look the more questions i have! thanks for the help.

Yes; there are 3 or 4 points to keep in mind.
TPS can be different, You have a Idle vacuum pot to contend with when setting TPS and something else my muddy brain is having issues with.
I document pretty much everything. Give me a day to locate the images and I will post up.

I probably missed it; but please post what year you are swapping to..

Thanx

[B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Projects[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]"FireFly" IFS; IRS[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="Lime"]"Texas Full-Pull"[/COLOR][/B] Winch. Coming to a competition near you soon

Toys

31' Fiver
08 Japanese Market WR-250-X SuperMoto
Tow rig, 03 GMC Sierra, Duramax, Allison
Old 04-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cranky Moderator

Member # 2026
Send a message via AIM to steveh
Re: which TPS to use. You want to use a TPS for the year of the truck, not the year the TB came from.

The best guide to testing and adjusting the TPS is Roger Brown's 4crawlerm.com tech tips.
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16809
ok... that is what i did, 87 truck/harness and ecu. i want to say i had to joky it around to get it to work... but i cannot remember. i tested the ohms and they checked out but i have not checked the voltage. i looked at crawlers site and it is chalk full of goodness. thanks for the help.

BigGreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 35904
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Re: which TPS to use. You want to use a TPS for the year of the truck, not the year the TB came from.

The best guide to testing and adjusting the TPS is Roger Brown's 4crawlerm.com tech tips.
Please sticky this.. I will edit it later with images. It contains the paddle swap instructions and the proper process to set the TPS with the old style idle up Vacuum pot.

Having ISP issues (And it's really a double whammy when you are your OWN Internet Service Provider.. ) As soon as I can I will post images as to how I swapped mine.

Early TB and late mod TB may have a different layout for the TPS.
As SteveH stated you must use the TPS from the old TB.

Here is the skinny in the mean time.
  1. Remove both throttle bodies.
  2. Record the part numbers for the older TPS and the newer one (You will not be using the new one)
  3. Pull both TPS.
  4. Manually actuate the original TPS and check for binding; it's very common.
  5. Lay the old TPS on it's back and fill it with WD-40. Let it soak in and clean \ lube the wiper as you perform the next step. (Every used TPS I have pulled was sticky..)
  6. Inspect the "paddles" bolted to the butterfly by a single nut for alignment. Do not be surprised if they are clocked differently. My 86 was clocked at around 90, and the 92 was clocked at around 0.
  7. If they are clocked differently, carefully remove and mark the old paddle position on the circle area of the old TB, and set aside. A marker or pencil works well.
  8. Remove the butterfly from the "new" throttle body and swap the old in it's place. Made darn sure the clocking matches the old throttle body.
  9. Lube the throttle plate while you have it apart. You may want to replace the packing.
  10. Place loctite on the TB nut, and check for smooth actuation.
  11. Drain the WD from the TPS and test it with a ohm meter. If it checks out OK; install it. If not, replace it.
  12. Drop the TPS onto the mount ring and manually verify it properly mates with the butterfly paddles. You drop it on "Before" the paddles and rotate it into to place.
  13. Snug the screws, do not tighten them. Test for proper operation with a ohm meter
  14. Reattach the Throttle body.
  15. If your old TB had a vacuum pot touching the idle screw, move it over. It is designed to kick the idle up if the engine tries to die. Great for crawling. It will also shoot you in the foot when to either test for codes with the engine off; and when setting the TPS.
  16. You must defeat the vacuum dashpot when setting the TPS or reading codes. I used a spring. It must be pulled fully in to set TPS. With no vacuum on the dashpot, it extends the plunger for higher idle. This is enough to allow you to set it improperly and to throw codes with the engine off; or to foul up timing and idle when running.

This is a simple in process; but takes time to perform. Cleaning and setting the TPS is important. Timing and idle will not be as expected if you do not.

My 86 with the later model TB runs circles around my 93; but that's probably due to the over porting, Stupid big header and crappy Crawler cam I installed. There is a lot to be said about the stock cast iron tri-Y manifold Toyota developed, and a modern high flow cat.

Hope this helps.... Elvis

[B][COLOR="Lime"]"Texas Full-Pull"[/COLOR][/B] Winch. Coming to a competition near you soon

Toys

31' Fiver

Last edited by Elvis-n-Texas; 11-11-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 43587
Send a message via AIM to TBItoy
This is good info. The search function really does work newbs.

I'm having to swap the "straight" plenum and TB from a 93 onto my 87 Runner because the tcase is raised up so much that the intake tube and radiator hose are trying to occupy the same space. The straight plenum solved my problem.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 81158
This looks interesting.
Phessor
Phessor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 128399
Thanks for all the info guys. I have an 86 that the "paddles" on the tb is striped so that it just rotates. I bought an upper plenum with tb from a junk yard but found out its out of an 89. I cant swap the paddles because of mine being worn. I havent decided yet if I am going to continue the swap to a later plenum and tb or find one from an 86.
rjnelson3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 35904
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnelson3 View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. I have an 86 that the "paddles" on the tb is striped so that it just rotates. I bought an upper plenum with tb from a junk yard but found out its out of an 89. I cant swap the paddles because of mine being worn. I havent decided yet if I am going to continue the swap to a later plenum and tb or find one from an 86.
Pull the screws out of the butterfly, and swap the shaft.

Use threadlocker.

BTW, my '86 runs very well with the later model plenum. Just getting rid of the idle motor is worth it.

Toys

31' Fiver
Old 07-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 67688
I swapped a cressada (5mge)throttle body at the same time as when I did my conversion, so I can't say how much better just the intake manifold is vs what I did. The cressada is 60mm vs our 55mm. I was even able to use the cressada TPS, it was the same. Had to fabricate a braket to hold the throttle cable, but it was all good. I eliminated the coolant hoses to the throttle body also, I wanted as much cold air as possible. It seems to pull a little better, even after adding a front winch bumper and a tube rear bumper. I spend more time in 5th than I used to.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 66153
Elvis did you still have any of those pics from your swap? I'm going to try to do the swap while im doing a rebuild of a 85 22re since I had a 90 something intake sitting on my shelf. I think I have a decent grasp of what to do but I just like to have a visual before starting something
F-TOY #36
Ricks72ntx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 92747
Subscribed. I have an 85 with the later upper and loooking to do some work on it. This thread is great!
Thx.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 216932
Hi Blazer,

I'm a newbie to this kind of forums and at 4runners also, 3 months ago i got an 87 in decent shape and i'm looking at doing the same kind of mod that you did, i already got the tb from a cressida and the upper intake (don't know which year but it's the newer kind) and have some questions:

1) how deep you need to go on the plenum at the time of porting it?
2) the newer plenum is missing a couple of ports:
a) the one where the front pcv hose on the vlave cover connects to the old style,
from what i've read on others forums i can just plug an air filter but just wanted to
know how you did it.
b) the other port is the one just below the cold start injector that from what i can
see on my current setup it goes to the aux air valve, and i think i would be still
using that valve so to where can i plug that hose?

3) my current tb has a port with a hose that connect to a valve that it's also has a hose
connected to another valve in the p/s pump that the cressida dosen't have, will it
affect if i just tapped both ports?

4) the tb from the creesida does not have the tps can I use the one that I'm currently
have since i know its working.

any help on this i will apreceiate a lot.

Thanks.

Last edited by mariobro03; 04-19-2012 at 01:26 PM.
mariobro03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 48072
I just got finished swapping in the Later style Plenum and throttle body onto my 85 22re. All things considering I ran into a few minor issues but I am very impressed with the results. My throttle response is much better.

I will edit this post a little later with the part #'s for the hoses and gaskets I got.

Last edited by Mawnov; 04-26-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Mawnov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 216932
any information that you can provide i'll apreciate to be able to do the swap, my main concern is where to plug the air valve hose since the new plenum doesn't have a port for it, i'm not using the newer tb so i need to keep the old air valve.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 187757
Part of the reason for this swap is to use the late style throttle body, with new style auxiliary air valve
Unclejesse88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 64145
Does anyone have the dealer part numbers for the two rubber coolant lines running to the throttle body? My dealer is incompetent and the local parts jobbers don't list them.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 48072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejesse88 View Post
Part of the reason for this swap is to use the late style throttle body, with new style auxiliary air valve
X2 This has to be 1 of the best reasons to do this mod. Use the new throttle body but use your original Throttle positioning sensor.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 216932
My plan is to use the 5mge tb because of the size I already has overbored the plenum to match the diamenter of the tb, my main concern is the missing ports on the new style plenum. From what i read 71 blazer made the same mod.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 48072
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Does anyone have the dealer part numbers for the two rubber coolant lines running to the throttle body? My dealer is incompetent and the local parts jobbers don't list them.
The part #'s for what I used....
22271-35020 gasket, Throttle body
17176-35020 gasket, Upper/ lower intake
25628-35020 gasket, EGR
23293-35020 gasket, Cold start injector
16264-35030 coolant hose
16267-35030 coolant hose

1 of the 2 hoses goes from the TB to a port just behind the Theromistat. You will need to do 1 of 2 things, cut the hose a little and rotate the port so it points at the TB. The other option is to order Part # 90404-51060 which replaces the 90* fitting with 1 that points straight up. This happens to be the proper fitting for the 89-94 22re.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in