3.4 Oba - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2931
3.4 Oba

i cant comment on the install yet, as i dont have a york to install, but the quality of the packaging, the brackets, pulleys and powder coat is EXCELLENT!

id like to thank jaime, webilt, for giving me a heads up about this kit, hopefully he can chime in and let us know how it went
Old 08-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2931
http://pnwfab.com/YorkOBAmount.htm
Old 08-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15811
nice stuff! awesome instructions! somebody gimme a york so i can hook iot up before this week long wheelin trip im going on!!!!!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1972CJ5+1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 118
I havnt got mine installed quite yet,, but my friend Zach (85 Runner with 96 3.4/auto), has already got his York installed , and will be installing all the air lines very soon,, he said that this kit was way too simple to install

Last edited by webilt; 08-08-2008 at 07:27 PM.
webilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2008, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 15993
So not even going to try the Denso pump as an OBA source or are you still running the factory A/C?

I'm looking to run my swapped in 3.4 A/C compressor as an OBA source as my truck never came with A/C but nothing is written in stone yet, this looks like an interesting option.
molsenmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by molsenmuscle View Post
So not even going to try the Denso pump as an OBA source or are you still running the factory A/C?

I'm looking to run my swapped in 3.4 A/C compressor as an OBA source as my truck never came with A/C but nothing is written in stone yet, this looks like an interesting option.
ive got A/C and im sure jaime does too, im definitely keeping it...OBA with denso pumps works good, ive used them before..just remember to oil it prior to use and during prolonged use or itll
Old 08-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by webilt View Post
I havnt got mine installed quite yet,, but my friend Zach (85 Runner with 96 3.4/auto), has already got his York installed , and will be installing all the air lines very soon,, he said that this kit was way too simple to install
keep us updated!!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 59
I've got another York you can borrow. Too bad you're not closer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
I've got another York you can borrow. Too bad you're not closer.
wanna sell it?? model 210?

Last edited by Booger Weldz; 08-10-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Booger Weldz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196

In loving memory of Madelyn Rose Ekhilevsky
04/17/04 - 12/08/08
vova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
Attached Images

In loving memory of Madelyn Rose Ekhilevsky
04/17/04 - 12/08/08
vova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 118
Well I finally got a start on the oba install,
pnwfab did an excellent job with their directions, but I think they are designed after the earlier 3.4 engines,
but it wasnt a big deal

1),I got the battery rotated and secured

2),I had to use some longer bolts for the fusebox/evap move (my 01' 3.4 dosnt have the evap canister,like the older 3.4s),but it does have a small unit that still had to be moved

3), In their directions they want the coolent bottle moved down to the inner left front fender,but with the IFS steering box in that location that option wasnt going to work,, soo, I dug up a coolent bottle from an 85 4Runner (22re) that was a tad smaller and had a bolt on upper mount, and just by twisting the metal mount I was able to install it to the upper left fan shroud bolt

4), welded the new v-pulley to the existing Toyota pulley

5), got the York mounted, just not tightened down yet, everything seems to clear good
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 83963
Good to see some people taking advantage of Joe and Karl's kits. Very nice product indeed. They definitely do some nice stuff. I'll have their Rock Armor sliders on my Grand Cherokee soon.

RJR-JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 106120
I started my install last night! I have an '02 d-cab. Figured I'd toss up some notes so far along with what you've posted so people will have to place to look to see what we've done.

I agree that the parts provided are nicely finished and look well constructed. I'm a bit worried that gettign the belt tight might be a challenge, but I'll reserve my comments until the install is complete.

I did basically the same thing with the emissions sensors as you did along with moving the fuse box. I ended up reusing the original screws and just turning the in reverse through the provided brackets and using the nuts provided. For those of you installing this in an 00-04 taco, you don't have to cut off the leg of the fuse box, it'll fit just fine, just give the fuel line a little bend and it'll all fit nicely.

picture of the new gap between the battery and the fusebox

From the pics it looks like your pulley didn't come all welded and ready to go. I guess they have enough spares and are charging a core deposit on the old fan pulley ($40). So it makes the install even easier esp if you don't have welding equipment. I'll take a picture of it on the next batch.

Also, it looks like your optima is smaller than the factory battery. Did you have to do the "fender well" mod as described in the instructions? Might be easier to just swap the battery instead of trying to bang all that out if it just fits. Mine is just about old enough to jsutify replacing it, so might be time for a new one.

As far as the overflow for the radiator, I was thinking about fabing up a bracket to attach it to the side of where the battery sits (so it would basically hang off the side of the battery toward the radiator. My only worry is that I wasn't too sure if the overflow had to be level with the radiator itself. I'd assume not given the way the hoses work.

My york arrives next wednesday.. Damn that UPS ground!!

rest of my pics are here (though nothing stellar): York OBA Pictures
MikeAWood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAWood View Post
I started my install last night! I have an '02 d-cab. Figured I'd toss up some notes so far along with what you've posted so people will have to place to look to see what we've done.

I agree that the parts provided are nicely finished and look well constructed. I'm a bit worried that gettign the belt tight might be a challenge, but I'll reserve my comments until the install is complete.

I did basically the same thing with the emissions sensors as you did along with moving the fuse box. I ended up reusing the original screws and just turning the in reverse through the provided brackets and using the nuts provided. For those of you installing this in an 00-04 taco, you don't have to cut off the leg of the fuse box, it'll fit just fine, just give the fuel line a little bend and it'll all fit nicely.

picture of the new gap between the battery and the fusebox

From the pics it looks like your pulley didn't come all welded and ready to go. I guess they have enough spares and are charging a core deposit on the old fan pulley ($40). So it makes the install even easier esp if you don't have welding equipment. I'll take a picture of it on the next batch.

Also, it looks like your optima is smaller than the factory battery. Did you have to do the "fender well" mod as described in the instructions? Might be easier to just swap the battery instead of trying to bang all that out if it just fits. Mine is just about old enough to jsutify replacing it, so might be time for a new one.

As far as the overflow for the radiator, I was thinking about fabing up a bracket to attach it to the side of where the battery sits (so it would basically hang off the side of the battery toward the radiator. My only worry is that I wasn't too sure if the overflow had to be level with the radiator itself. I'd assume not given the way the hoses work.

My york arrives next wednesday.. Damn that UPS ground!!

rest of my pics are here (though nothing stellar): York OBA Pictures
I did do the inner fenderwell mod for the battery, and by doing so, I was able to reuse the plastic battery tray, with the Optima
I got my kit with just the pulley and welded it to my pulley
I had no problem in tightening the York belt,, just stick a 1/2" drive ratchet in their provided hole on the bracket and lift and tighten,,

**, only other small tid-bit of info I can add would be: when installing the new provided York bracket bolt to the top of the alt., be sure to put the lock washer at the bolt head side,, otherwise the bolt tightens down tight before the York bracket gets tight,!

I drove mine about 40 miles so far( No plumbing yet for the York) to see how the radiator over flow bottle would work,, and it's just fine,!!

I hope to get all the needed parts to get the air hooked up real soon,
Old 08-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 65343
Bought my kit yesterday and spent some time at pic-n-pull today. Little pricey on the pump from them at 55.00 and I think it is going to need a rebuild. Only found 1 pump at the Rocklin pic-n-pull

97 D-cab Tacoma D44 etone electric front locker usa USA Alloy marlin 2.28 dule cases trd rear locker 35" toyo open country.
arloey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by arloey View Post
Bought my kit yesterday and spent some time at pic-n-pull today. Little pricey on the pump from them at 55.00 and I think it is going to need a rebuild. Only found 1 pump at the Rocklin pic-n-pull
We got ours at Rocklin pick-n-pull,a while ago, they came off early 80s Volvo wagons,, we went to their 1/2 price weekend and got them for $35.00 each,

Last edited by webilt; 08-17-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 2931
looks like mine will go in smoothly...my battery is in the bed and the fusebox and stuff has already been moved for shock hoop clearance...i need to get a york asap! wonder what they cost new at napa or autozone?

Last edited by Booger Weldz; 08-17-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Booger Weldz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 01:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 106120
I got my york from ebay and paid for a reman'd one.. was $150+shipping (which is way more than you'd pay to pull it and the cost of the rebuild kit). it was just that I knew it was the right one and I was sure it would work. Just peace of mind for me. That and I got impatient and this was the only Buy it Now auction for the right unit. At least this way I know it'll basically last forever..

Ebay auction I won was 220255136409

Just hope I can have it done in time for big bear next weekend....LOL
MikeAWood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 47848
I got mine at the Volvo/SAAB recycler in Rancho. They're 50 bucks, the same price I paid for one more than 5 years ago. I have a write up on Ultimate Yota. The kit comes today, I have everything else installed but the tank.

1999 4Runner
4x4mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
I got mine at the Volvo/SAAB recycler in Rancho. They're 50 bucks, the same price I paid for one more than 5 years ago. I have a write up on Ultimate Yota. The kit comes today, I have everything else installed but the tank.
i looked into getting a 'new' york from napa(1983 volvo wagon part #) and it was $394
Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 34807
Send a message via AIM to tufluv82toy
anyone know what happend to pacific north west fab? sent couple e mails (no phone number on site) and can not get a response. Really want one of these kits as its way cheaper than the time to build it and find all parts!! If anyone has a phone number or a way to get ahold of them please let me know!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 19743
Send a message via AIM to seafarinman Send a message via Yahoo to seafarinman
I am waiting for a York mount for the RZ engines! Anyone see anything yet?

seafarinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 3886
i went co2 when i went 3.4L

IMO the york licks balls. yes it makes air, but its dirty and slow and clumsy underhood.

the portability of the co2 is unmistakeable. never going back to an underhood pump.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 34807
Send a message via AIM to tufluv82toy
i have c02 now and hate it. Can hardly ever find someone to fill bottle, welding shop will only start pump once per week and want me to leave my power tank there which i dont like, have to fill at a liquor store and its gottin up to 30 bucks. With 41s its lasting me 2.5 times out and thats just too much coin. 3 guys i wheel with have all gone to yorks and when set up properly with a small mod dont make a mess and are as fast if not faster than my powertank.... Anyone with info on pacific north west fab?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in