Little seat tech--aftermarket seat install.. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
Little seat tech--aftermarket seat install..

I figured I would post this to give some guys some ideas for adding in aftermarket seats.

This is a rig I am almost done with. My buddy had purchased it and it needed some work. He found it was over his head so he dropping it off at the shop for me to fix. I am just getting it trail worthly.

In any case it only had a bent up POS driver seat (wasn't even bolted in when he got it). So he had purchased a pair of APC buckets with sliders for adjustment.

So first was remove the seat and make room to work.

So for the front portion of the mount I used some angle material (2x2) and drilled the holes in such that when bolted down it snugged up hard against that portion of the body. The outboard strip was easy since the rear outboard hole was pretty close to inline with the front and I also made it at a 5 degree slope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
The inboard strip is a little tougher. The rear inboard hole is not inline with the front and the strip needs to be paralell with the outbaord strip due to how the seat has to mount. The floor pan has a slope right below the strip so a bolt in the center won't work due to the angle. I also didn't wan't a mounting tab next to the strip due to strength issues. So here is what I came up with.

As you can see, the upper bolt is the stock seat hole and the lower one is off to an angle but will work for what it needs to do.

This lets the strip land right in the middle of the part I made and puts it within 1/8" of being paralell to the outboard strip which works perfect.

So tached things into place, removed and welded them all together and then test fitted it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
So once test fitted I mocked them against the seat tracks and drilled the seat track mounting holes.

I also decided to add gussets to the rear inboard mount

Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Threw them in and bolted them to the floor...

Hopefully this will give some guys who want to run an aftermarket seat some ideas

Old 03-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13707
I was thinking of getting the same kind of seat. How comfortable are they? Do they seem like they will last?
Toyoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 95669
thanks crash..
Old 03-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoda View Post
I was thinking of getting the same kind of seat. How comfortable are they? Do they seem like they will last?
Seem ok. I only sat in them for a few seconds to make sure the belts were ok. We are taking it out on sunday to make sure everything is ok. Plus the kid is a jeep guy, so this sshould be fun to watch

But they are stiff, kinda remind me of a recaro type seat. One downside I did notice is the top of the seat is pretty wide and when in the full back position they rub against the B pillar.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 13707
Post up how they are after weeling.
They do look nice though.
Toyoda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 19743
Send a message via AIM to seafarinman Send a message via Yahoo to seafarinman
Mike,
I had a set of those same seats a few years back. Got them at the G.I. Joes in Lynnwood but returned them since I couldn't figure out how to get them mounted up in the truck. I made a set of adapters a long time ago that used 1/4" mild steel plate to adapt a set of 1970's 280Z bucket seats onto the factory seat tracks in my old Datsun 210~but there was no welding or other fabrication involved. I ended up modifying the feet (fabbed up some simple welded feet) on the 1994 Acura Integra bucket seats to get them into my truck. Great work as usual

seafarinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Toyota Dismantlation

Member # 100293
Location: I ship from New London County Connecticut & Undercut
Send a message via AIM to Erick561
nice job crash. looks good

Erick561 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 125447
always enjoy opening your threads always clean and step by step.
wheelingyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 31353
Send a message via AIM to Kaptain
Nice work, it makes me want to throw new seats in mine.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 114433
Good seat tech, thanks!

I ran these same seats for a couple years. They are stiff... with not much padding over the lower bolsters.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 61944
Send a message via AIM to 4runnerboy Send a message via MSN to 4runnerboy Send a message via Yahoo to 4runnerboy
that is a super clean way to install some aftermarket seats. But not to hijack, I have a question regarding the way I installed the Corbaeu seats in my 83. I acquired the seats for free from my father in law but they had the seat brackets for a jeep tj. So what I did was marked the holes in the tj brackets in the cab and it sat fairly level. so I drilled 4 holes in the body, but like you I had to level out the rear mounts, so i used some aluminum large diameter spacers I had around the shop. Should I be concerned with that type of setup? If need be I can get pictures. I thought I would bring this up in a thread that is related and I saw a similiar setup to what I had to do.
thanks,
Jack
Old 03-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 95660
I have those exact seats in a 95 4runner. I bought them becuase they were cheap and have ended up regretting it. The lower bolsters are not padded very well and they are a pretty hard seat. Also, im a bigger guy and after about one year I had to take the seat apart to weld up parts of the seat frame and the recliner part stripped, so now the back of the seat is welded in one position.
safari 4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnerboy View Post
that is a super clean way to install some aftermarket seats. But not to hijack, I have a question regarding the way I installed the Corbaeu seats in my 83. I acquired the seats for free from my father in law but they had the seat brackets for a jeep tj. So what I did was marked the holes in the tj brackets in the cab and it sat fairly level. so I drilled 4 holes in the body, but like you I had to level out the rear mounts, so i used some aluminum large diameter spacers I had around the shop. Should I be concerned with that type of setup? If need be I can get pictures. I thought I would bring this up in a thread that is related and I saw a similiar setup to what I had to do.
thanks,
Jack
You have to remember the stock bolt holes are re-supported so not to pull thru/rip out on a hard hit. I would be concerned with that....

Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelingyota View Post
always enjoy opening your threads always clean and step by step.
I try to give back for being--such an asshole

Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 61944
Send a message via AIM to 4runnerboy Send a message via MSN to 4runnerboy Send a message via Yahoo to 4runnerboy
ok thanks for the advise, I'll be setting out this week to make new brackets this week. Safety isn't really something I'd like to leave to chance.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 89727
much better than the mickey mouse caca I did
Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 24631
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I try to give back for being--such an asshole
you - me amigo - is a man on a mission - muy garcias!
angeley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
I'm building a jeep for a dude that has those seats. They're ok but a day on the trail beats you up pretty good. Also, the padding broke down on the corner that he drags his ass on when getting in and out. No padding now, just a raw bar with some covering on it. Not bad for cheap seats. I used 89 Mazda 626 seats, they were real comfy for a long time.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 105287
After reading this I don't think I'll buy those seats! Looks good Crash, clean
rocky mnt. crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 233
this gives me some ideas , I just picked up some Celica seats , and need to fab up some front mounts , I cant wait till I get these installed and get the bench out , my ass will thank me
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 03-22-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in